Pencil piece in need of critique.

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

This is one of my favorite drawings that I have done, but I can't seem to figure out whether I should put more details into it or leave it as minimal as it stands. My issue is that I'm afraid the feeling of the piece may change if I continue to build on it. Please help! Thanks.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it's great as is. It feels "complete". You could probably get away with more--but I don't think it really needs it. Always a tough call. But I think I'd go with your gut instinct.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it looks good the way it is too, you don't want to ruin it by overworking it. Maybe through it into photoshop, up the levels to darken the lines a bit and maybe try adding some color, not too much, just somthing soft, I think it would look neat.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As a head study, its a very good one. Nicely rendered eyes and mouth especialy.

But I see alot of angry words going on in the background, which leads me to belive there needs to be more emotion on the face, or maybe an inclusion of hands, to give us an idea of whats tying her to those words. Push the words as well if they are really apart of this piece. At first glance I couldnt tell if it was just writing from another piece of paper showing through when you scanned.

The hair looks rushed, nice structually, but it needs some highlights to really read as hair.

Its a good start, but doesnt look finished yet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think it looks nice, its always pretty to use some handwriting on the work, i woul just add a touch of color somewhere in the hole scene, a dot, a square, a word.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's an interesting piece when you take the innocent look on the face and couple it with the words.

My advice? Do one hundred more faces, experimenting with how much you add to them. This, grasshopper, is how you will know how far is too far. You cannot ask for a map; you must travel there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    It's an interesting piece when you take the innocent look on the face and couple it with the words.

My advice? Do one hundred more faces, experimenting with how much you add to them. This, grasshopper, is how you will know how far is too far. You cannot ask for a map; you must travel there.
    What a great suggestion! Thanks a lot. I will definitely do more faces with text to see how far I can take it.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.