Thanks

An artist without a day job! help!

I am graduating this friday, wooot. That means however that I owe thousands of dollars now and I have a degree that apparently looks useless on a resume. A lot of people say if you want to be a freelance artist you should also have a day job to help back you up. I understand the whole freelancing gig may mean money, but its unpredicable and not a stable income, so the day job is important.

Well. how the hell do you get that day job anyways, thats my big question. My last job was minimum wage in the texas heat all summer long. I hated it so much and refuse to ever go back or to ever work minimum wage again - $5 an hour is just poverty. Fast food, oh hell no, I dont even eat fast food.

this job hunting business has me so stressed out and confused x_x I understand you cant ask for too much..but..there are just some jobs I just can't see myself doing. Cooking, waitressing *I guess I have mental issues, the idea of touching someones elses dirty dishes just makes me sick!* and teaching - that just is NOT my interest or what I wanted to do with my art education

and what do I do about entry level positions that ask for years of experience? the logic doesn't make any sense to me. who can get an entry level position if it requires experience in the job already? are employers...really serious when they ask for at least two years in something? @__@

is asking for a day job that makes at the least $10 an hour..too much..now that I have a bachelors??

anyone have any advice for my poor sad situation? has anyone else been an artist, without the day job?

I guess I am also afraid about this whole day job business as much as I need one.....americans are over worked people with no breaks, that doesnt give a whole lot of time to develop artwork does it?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    i know way back in the day when i worked in a call center i had lots of free time to draw between calls (espessially if your sales) but being a tattoo artes in a decent sized town in oklahoma gives me a good income and LOTS of free time to draw paint or sleep . if i moved to a tourist town in another state id make ALOT more but have less free time . plus im pretty much my own boss here and the only artist in the shop and pretty much the town

Thanks
    WEll if he want to not live at home you have to be real he need to pick at lease 2 or 3 of these jobs listed...that just to make Rent as for the other bills.. they still pay blood donations in your area?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainInsano
    Poor, sad, situation?

Don't expect anyone to feel sorry for you.

If you want ideas on more "suitable" entry-level jobs not related to the food industry, here's a list for you:
    Art Museum attendant.
    Art supply store cashier.
    Antique store clerk.
    Bookstore clerk.
    Pre-School teacher's aide.
    Summer Camp staff.<-- Jason in the lake fun there....
    Library clerk.
    Clothing store attendant.
    Internship. <--this could work a good paying internship at an Ad agency
    Floral shop. unless you never want to get a date with girl again...need Ii say more
    Music/Video store.
    Bank teller.

Radio Shack/Best Buy clerk. <-- One more thing NO Never work fo these people

Hotel front desk attendant.
    Janitor.

The real truth is you want get a job unless you have job history or some kind of real job skills . You have to market your self too all or end up in trafficc bugging for change.

I got tired of work for other people and now have my own business doing tech work on computers as well as doing my art.

I do data recovery and security work and I make good money but it has it slow time.

Start at you local Employment office look at getting some vocational training as well .. it can come in very handy as well.

WEll thats my #$098 worth on life

Thanks
    You just graduated, from an art school, Please don't take offence but from what little I can see in your sketchbook here, you have a ways to go and you better start working at it damn hard especially if you have bills to pay, you have to sell yourself completely and especially as a freelance artist you had better have a damn proffesional looking presentation.

Do you take yourself seriousely enough, as an artist that you will make your portfolio that bad ass. Ive heard freelancing can be a hard existance. Have you thought about what kind of market you would be approaching, as an illustrator, what type of things do you do, what do you offer to a potential client?

I can't see a website anywhere I seriousely suggest you make one if you dont market yourself properly no one will know you even exist, let alone offer freelance.

Internships in larger companies should be an option and be something your applying for, alot of Internships are paid these days and that is definetly experience that will get you hired, who knows maybe the company that you interned at will offer you a job too, cause they liked you. And if you need the cash take the shitty job, half the rest of humanity has them, atleast take it till you improve your skills and clean up your portfolio and havea website and start getting a steady stream of freelance. I don't mean to sound like a jerk but you have ALOT of work to do.
    Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    A buddy of mine worked the night shift at a local bed and breakfast for awhile. Seemed like a sweet gig, about 1-2 hours of work type work every night followed by 6-7 hours of solid and more or less uninterupted drawing time. On the clock. What more could you ask for?
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Red_Rook
    You just graduated, from an art school, Please don't take offence but from what little I can see in your sketchbook here, you have a ways to go and you better start working at it damn hard especially if you have bills to pay, you have to sell yourself completely and especially as a freelance artist you had better have a damn proffesional looking presentation.

Do you take yourself seriousely enough, as an artist that you will make your portfolio that bad ass. Ive heard freelancing can be a hard existance. Have you thought about what kind of market you would be approaching, as an illustrator, what type of things do you do, what do you offer to a potential client?

I can't see a website anywhere I seriousely suggest you make one if you dont market yourself properly no one will know you even exist, let alone offer freelance.

Internships in larger companies should be an option and be something your applying for, alot of Internships are paid these days and that is definetly experience that will get you hired, who knows maybe the company that you interned at will offer you a job too, cause they liked you. And if you need the cash take the shitty job, half the rest of humanity has them, atleast take it till you improve your skills and clean up your portfolio and havea website and start getting a steady stream of freelance. I don't mean to sound like a jerk but you have ALOT of work to do.

thanks for the harsh criticism, but you dont have to worry about me tooo much...! I DO have a website and understand how much hard work goes into being an artist, and I want it more than anything. most of my finished paintings, well ALL OF THEM in fact are really time consuming projects lasting from a month to three months are more. They tend to be big paintings ranging from four to five feet and are very hard to photograph.

I started to get really impatient with the time consuming paintings and found I was making a lot of mistakes on the way...so thats why I started my acrylic blob sketchbook. Alot of my mistakes were created with the first layer of paint, and things get messy if you dont spot them and continue to work for hours and hours. All those hours of work wasted! So I felt I needed to relearn how to begin paintings and painting the overall before getting into the finer details. My sketchbook is just my attempt at learning that..

I won't be promoting myself yet, I'm hiding =3 but I am hoping that by the end of 2007 I will have a good portfolio to start out with

I've never really concidered internships becuase the ones I knew about were un paid. I'll be sure to look into more internships now!

as for the shitty job, yeah I understand I need a shitty job for the time being. but I am against MINIMUM WAGE jobs because I feel minimum wage shoud be at the least $8 an hour and not $5. The purpose of minimum wage is to keep you above poverty level, when several studies show $5 an hour KEEPS you in poverty level. Having had a few minimum wage jobs myself, I can tell you they did NOTHING to help pay for the bills.

Thanks
    Yeah I definetly didnt mean to attack your character or anything like that, I was more worried about your frrelancing future. Why not photograph those paintings and start promoting yourself now? I mean it cant hurt, it will help you gather experience for your resume even if they are only small jobs. Also one idea may be to concentrate on a skillset lets say like watercolour, where you can produce a piece rather rapidly, it makes for a really valuable asset, if you can do alot of small drawings and paintings, for spot illustrations and stuff.
    Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.