Art: Smooth Surfaces
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Smooth Surfaces

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smooth Surfaces

Hello All,

I'm really new to all this sculpting stuff but fascinated and interested in all that you guys are doing. I'll post pics of some of my stuff when I'm finished as I have just started recently.

My question is how do I achieve smooth surfaces. I'm using sculpey and super sculpey. I'm looking to do some cartoony looking creatures and want that crisp clean surface, much like the creature in tysiony's avatar. The character in Idle's Urban Vinyl Toy Customization thread also has the type of surface I'm trying to achieve. Any tips, tricks, pointers, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Everyone here is so inspiring to me. Thanks guys.

alteridiom

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you read through previous posts, (Smellybug's tutorial is excellent place to learn), you will see that some people use various solvents to smooth the sculpey's surface. Lighter fluid, 91% isopropyl alcohol, and tupernoid are some of what is used. It is brushed on lightly until the surface is smoothed out. Hope that helps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Like Shadowwing said i use solvents to smooth down surfaces and alot of different grades of sandpaper, first i rake the surface and smooth with my fingers as much as possible, then i use white spirit to smooth the surface , but this is a bit harsh so i use surgical spirit afterwards, this kinda dries out the white spirit and leaves it less sticky, then after baking and filling in cracks ( which i hate about sculpy) i sand with different grades of sandpaper( then refil more cracks then sand ,lol) i heard you can use nailvarnish remover too, but i never used it, just experiment till you find one that works for you.ooh and thanks for admiring my avatar much appreciated

Members who have read this thread: 1