Sketchbook: Monkey Sketchbook (updated 14.05.07)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Monkey Sketchbook (updated 14.05.07)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Monkey Sketchbook (updated 14.05.07)

hi everyone, i've lurk here for a while and today finally i try to gather my recent sketches, i hope i can learn more from all of you guys

and i try to update weekly.......
    these are my attempts to study faces and hand

cheers..........

Attached Images Attached Images                  
    Last edited by bluki; May 13th, 2007 at 09:03 PM. Reason: title
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not much to stay other than I like what I see so far. : )
    Nice hand studies.

TUNAFISH SAMMICHES?!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice heads and hands. The head on the lowest bottom right corner is my favorite. Keep posting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sirio_Brozzi & tokidokizenzen: thanks for the comments man, sorry for the late reply, lately i have stumbled into many things so i cannot update my sketch book regularly as i intended...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sketches this week:

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bluki For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your drawings are really good, and show you have a good grasp on anatomy and expression. The hands are excellent, I could do with making lots of hand studies, do you use your own for reference? I really like your style and hope you post lost more (:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    titus oats: thanks man, yes i use my own hands as a reference, i'm trying to be more active and post regularly this forum.... i want to sharpening my skills

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it's bee a while i didn't update my sketch book.........

these are my sketches from my recent school project, creating characters based on a theme, and the theme is skateboard.......

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bluki For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bart

Concept:
    Bart is the number one visualization from one of common skater stereotypes, wearing loose-sized shirts, over-sized baggy pants; I assign dark earth-toned colors with the main major color tone is green, green is one of the color that got the biggest vote from the survey, overall this character is a representation of the word ‘cool’, since in the first survey many people says that skater and skateboarding is ‘cool’.

Naming:
    For the naming concept of these characters I try to use simple naming, but still have connections to the characters itself, all of the characters using same beginning letter ‘B’, I purposely use this with the intention that it would be easy to remember, if it’s not because of the simple names at least because of the common beginning letter that each character shared.

The name Bart taken simply to give a reference to an already established character Bart Simpson from the animated series “The Simpsons”, and in addition that Bart Simpson also playing skateboard.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bob

Concept:
    Bob is the alternate visualization from one of common skater stereotypes, wearing hoodies, knee-length shorts; I still assign earth-toned colors, but not too much with the main major color tone is red, red is also one of the color that got the biggest vote from the survey, overall this character is a representation of the word ‘active’, also giving him a more bright and hot colors to balance the cool color tone from Bart, I also give him more wild expression and rough appearance, to emphasize more that Bob is the opposite of Bart.

Naming:
    The name Bob taken from a professional skater Robert Dean Silva Burnquist (born October 10, 1976 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil), better known as Bob Burnquist, one of his known or famous trick that he invented is Gnar Jar a 540 degree spin with a bodyjar (tail tap) when re-entering the vert ramp. Variations include: judo Gnar Jar, Double Judo Gnar Jar, Anti-Judo Gnar Jar, Christ Air Gnar Jar (all invented by Sandro Dias), and the Frontside Gnar Jar (invented by Bob Burnquist). the naming of Bob also simply to give a reference, same treatment as Bart.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bluki For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    B-Box

Concept:
    I made him purposely big because in one of the survey, I include a question that include about body proportion of a skater, and somebody chooses a big body proportion, and include an additional note about how he would like to see a big sized skater, so I thought it would be interesting, instead of using it to the human character I put it with the robot character.

Because of the big proportion I still wanted to make him can move swiftly, and I try to avoid a complex visualization of robots, so I try to adapt the sleek and streamlined design of ASIMO, a robot created by HONDA. Even take the design to simplify it further more, while the body design is very futuristic, I want to keep the simple boxy classical form of robot his head. I also give him a headphone to give reverence to his name.

Even tough B-Box is a robot; I wanted to give him a unique personality, he is a graffiti artist, so I add two bag of spray paint on his waist, the blue color is to give reference of many technological terms that uses ‘blue’, such as; IBM's chess computer (which defeated chess champion Garry Kasparov) was called Deep Blue, Users of Microsoft Windows often use the term "blue" to describe a computer that has encountered a "blue screen of death."

Naming:
    The name B-Box is a word play from “beatbox”, Beatboxing is the vocal percussion of hip hop culture and music. It is primarily concerned with the art of reproducing drum sounds using one's voice, and mouth, because the culture of skateboard also have a connection to hip hop music genre.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to bluki For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bone 13

Concept:
    Zombies, undead, vampires and many mythical ‘horror’ creatures are always occurred form time to time in a different media, while the image of skull from time to time often occurred on the deck of skateboard, so I think it’s a natural step to make a skeleton / undead based character.

The main color of this character is black, the association of black color to the horror imagery is very close, since in many culture black color is often associated to the negativity and death, other than the representation of horror, I also wanted to give a subtle reference to rock and punk music that is also a close association to the skateboard community, while in the same time in the imagery and color tone that appears in the punk and rock music is similar, black, skulls, death, and the appearance of rockers that can be quite ‘horror’ to some other people, using shattered clothes and / or pants, it’s quite close to the appearance of zombies or undead, even tough it’s a little bit exaggerated.

While the main theme of the character is skull / death / horror, I give him more cartoony and humorous expressions to counter and balance the negativity elements that this character has, it is also representation that skateboard is fun, even tough that sport have so many negativity image surrounds it.

Naming:
    The name Bone 13 is inspired from the aliases of many graffiti artist that usually have weird combinations with word and number, even sometimes they use only numbers, for example TAKI 183, his tag is a mixture of his name Demetrius (Demetraki), TAKI, and his street number, 183rd. Bone 13 also shared the same reasoning, Bone is an obvious reference that he is a skeleton, and the number 13 is instead of using street number, the number 13 is one of the famous superstitious number, usually associated with bad luck, and also 13 is a play to give another reference to “B”, because when “1” and “3” put close together, its looks like a letter “B”

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bion

Concept:
    Bart and Bob Two human characters that represents visual appearance of stereotype skater, B-Box and Bone 13, represents music genre (hip hop, punk / rock), graffiti (the form of visual ‘art’ of the skater community / culture), and Bion’s character concept is to represent an era, the historical side of skateboard culture, the skateboard culture begins from the 70s, and in that decade there are also many big historical events, and one of it is the space race, The Space Race was an informal competition between the United States and the Soviet Union that lasted roughly from 1957 to 1975. One of the unique space flight is USA and Soviet Union had sent monkeys to the space, hence the term “space monkey”.

Other than using the astronaut costume, he uses a classic shaped skateboard, the skateboard that still shared the same form with surf board, to add more reference about the ‘history’ theme.

And while other character have various set of expressions, Bion only has one expression, to complete all characterizations from these five characters, Bart is for the cool part, Bob is for the high-spirited part, B-Box is for the funny part, and Bone 13 is for the silly part, and Bion is for the grumpy part.

Naming:
    Bion is directly taken from one of the Russian space monkeys. And his nick name “Boss Monkey” is because he only has one expression knitted eyebrows and grumpy expression, that gives some ‘bossy aura’

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    last post for today, my recent Photoshop practice

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there Mr. Indonesia. Ithink your a very skilled artist your in school? Your work looks preprofessional level almost there.

Your style reminds me of another artist here called Jeri. Just does. But whatever keep us updated.

I love the Sk8 Boarders and the boxer is very tight.\

diligence

TheRoad

Transition from Art Critic to Artiste - Diligence, that's all I need.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    maxetormer thank you.. i'll try to keep my sketch book updated as often as

NicoRavenhi Nico, haha i'm not that good, i'm just a regular guy next to any other great artist here , but i'm hoping that i can reach their level skill, so i can be a real pro...

anyway here's my recent stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work! There is something very contemporary about your style without seeming cliche! I like the monkey! MONKEY!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rogzilla thank you come again.

my latest: CHOW#71

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good stuff so far. A few more realistic faces would be good to show/practise, but otherwise, looking good.

Will be back to see more.

my sketches here... http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=92997

www.sevans.co.nz , visit them or a puppy dies!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that boxer is f'n sweet. good proportions and nice study

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice work!!!

"Bion" is the coolest thing since sliced bread, fer realz! 8)

Look, see! Nifty art! http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=99803

Hey! Check out my blog here

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 781 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.