i would like some opinions
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: i would like some opinions

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

i would like some opinions

hi i posted this bears a few days ago in other forum, i would like some opinions on this and some crits,

thanx yall

o_0
    +

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Point form!
    - Its fur looks... spikey. You may want to refine the 'outline' of the bear, paying special attention to its fur. You may wanna grab some samples off of google for references
    - I really hope your second picture isn't the final image! You can do better than that. At the very least - give those backgournd trees/leaves some depth and form, and keep in mind that skies aren't just one solid colour. There's a least some kind of gradient, clouds, etc. And no, the photoshop filter "clouds" won't cut it

Good luck.

As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle being swept along is no longer enough.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

danke

thanx a lot bunny, thouse are really nice coments, and u r right, this isnt the end of it, its just that im getting used to this tool (wacom tablet), because this is only my 3rd try on psd, so i hope i can loose my fears about adding some more details, ill keep posting hoping to know what u and others think about the prosses.
    thanx again. o_0

Quote Originally Posted by bunny
    Point form!
    - Its fur looks... spikey. You may want to refine the 'outline' of the bear, paying special attention to its fur. You may wanna grab some samples off of google for references
    - I really hope your second picture isn't the final image! You can do better than that. At the very least - give those backgournd trees/leaves some depth and form, and keep in mind that skies aren't just one solid colour. There's a least some kind of gradient, clouds, etc. And no, the photoshop filter "clouds" won't cut it

Good luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's a much more effective piece with the yellow background; most likely because you developed the foreground subjects on the yellow. Subsequently adding the blue-green background is like rolling in one of those false back drops that makes everyone look uncomfortable. Were you to develop the whole piece at the same time, or just work out a background with the yellow, it would jibe much more naturally.

Backgrounds aren't something you just add to a piece, it's actually an integral part of the composition.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

absolutelly

u r totally right, that fucking blue makes me sick, i dont know what im doing man, i do one nice thing (the bear) and then i make the worst damage adding backgrounds like that, thanks 4 the coment, ill try to do something with the yellow and attemp to make better compositions.
    nice having people over

Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    It's a much more effective piece with the yellow background; most likely because you developed the foreground subjects on the yellow. Subsequently adding the blue-green background is like rolling in one of those false back drops that makes everyone look uncomfortable. Were you to develop the whole piece at the same time, or just work out a background with the yellow, it would jibe much more naturally.

Backgrounds aren't something you just add to a piece, it's actually an integral part of the composition.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Background and spiney fur aside I would say you have the anatomy down pretty well for the bear except for the ears. They're at least twice the average size of a normal bears. Remember that bear ears are a bit more rounded too. Here's a reference that gives a good shot of bear ears: http://www.kodiak.org/images/bear-d2.jpg

I think the problem with pen&ink is that there is no Ctrl+z command.

writers and artists have a lot in common -- we both draw from life, we both paint pictures, and we'll both spend to many sleepless nights on our work.

My (new) sketchbook: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=100982

My (old) Sketchbook:http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=88773

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey gunther, thanx for the coments and the grizlies pics, the thing is that this one is a black bear, my ref on the ilustration, is as faithfull as i could do it, heres a grizlie im working on, hope u guys like it, oh, and by the way, feel the same way about ink and Ctrl+Z.

thanx o_0
    +

Quote Originally Posted by Gunther409
    Background and spiney fur aside I would say you have the anatomy down pretty well for the bear except for the ears. They're at least twice the average size of a normal bears. Remember that bear ears are a bit more rounded too. Here's a reference that gives a good shot of bear ears: http://www.kodiak.org/images/bear-d2.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like 'em, so here's my two cents:

I think you should centralize the focus of the piece on the bear. I'd say crop it so it's more of a vertical canvas, and then focus on adding the most details in the face, and increasingly less detail as you move out from the face.

I think you don't like the blue because it's too flat and monochromatic, I think you should add some clouds, but not white clouds, maybe yellowish/orangish. And I think you should add a slight gradation in the blue part of the sky, maybe make it darker towards the bottom, but not darker blue, pick a different color but keep it close to blue.

Next time don't use yellow for your background, just do a quick sketch of the background to get the composition and general color down and then sketch the bear on a layer over the background. I think it'll give the piece a sense of uniformity, trust me, I used to do the same thing with my backgrounds. Doing the background first makes it easier to pick the colors for the foreground and subject.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanx shadowflux, i think the biggest problem i have is my lak of patience, for example, when im working on the leaves in the trees i tend to use texture brushes to simulate them, but there must be better ways to do them, hope u can give me some more poiunters, i did some work on the clouds i hope to be uploading them this weekend and know what u think about.
    yhanx for the crits and coments.
    o_0
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowflux
    I like 'em, so here's my two cents:

I think you should centralize the focus of the piece on the bear. I'd say crop it so it's more of a vertical canvas, and then focus on adding the most details in the face, and increasingly less detail as you move out from the face.

I think you don't like the blue because it's too flat and monochromatic, I think you should add some clouds, but not white clouds, maybe yellowish/orangish. And I think you should add a slight gradation in the blue part of the sky, maybe make it darker towards the bottom, but not darker blue, pick a different color but keep it close to blue.

Next time don't use yellow for your background, just do a quick sketch of the background to get the composition and general color down and then sketch the bear on a layer over the background. I think it'll give the piece a sense of uniformity, trust me, I used to do the same thing with my backgrounds. Doing the background first makes it easier to pick the colors for the foreground and subject.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the yellow background one way at the top of the forum. It reminds me alot of a Smokey the Bear illustration from a children's book from a long time ago.

Honest, I don't try to be an asshole, it just happens!

http://evildragonfire.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

thanx 4 the coment

hey, thats so cool man, i didnt remember that bear, well i dont think at my young age i could have a chance to see him, but i search ir on the internet, and i thought it was pretty cool, thanks for stoping by, hope to hear more opinions and make new friends (im really far away from the medium)
    o_o
    Quote Originally Posted by evildragonfire
    I love the yellow background one way at the top of the forum. It reminds me alot of a Smokey the Bear illustration from a children's book from a long time ago.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

how is it

hey guys, i did this clouds, how is it coming together?
    any one can help by telling me how can its fur looks more real?
    thanx yall.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you can use smaller brush's to paint area's of the fur. What I do, is paint the highlights of the fur with semi-hard bristle brush, then airbrush the darker hair shade over it, then go back in with bristle brush to paint more highlights. I do this process over and over untill I achieve the results that I want.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey daniel
    yhanx again for ur coments and advices, i think ill be trying those tips asap, would u use gaussian blur for this effect? what do u think? or just as u told me smaller brushes in the outlines mixed with the airbrush overlaped?
    thanx again man, hope i can show u some personal stuff to let me know what u think.
    o_0
    +

Quote Originally Posted by evildragonfire
    you can use smaller brush's to paint area's of the fur. What I do, is paint the highlights of the fur with semi-hard bristle brush, then airbrush the darker hair shade over it, then go back in with bristle brush to paint more highlights. I do this process over and over untill I achieve the results that I want.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No. Do not use blur if you are using this technique. Just build it up layer by layer. You will see the transformation happen right before your eyes!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanx man, ill try and do that, ill show it 2 u, problably when santas gone.
    merry xmas, and joyfull new 2007
    o_0

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Icon

Hey Man. Glad to see that you are tryin to paint up a storm here. Sorry to get back to you so late, just checked my messages! haha. Anyway I think you are worrying about the end result too much. You are using small brushes, worrying about details and filters and the what not. First off, you shouldn't be using filters at all right now while trying to learn to paint. Even if you see it working for someone they might just have enough experience to get the effect to look right or they too are still trying to learn to paint. Use big brushes. Worry more about gloping in value and carving out the form then trying to get each hair to look right. Hair can be done in patches. so can grass trees, anything that has a repeating pattern. You have to ask yourself what is more important. It looking like a bear, or each hair being rendered individually? Don't worry about custom brushes or things like that get a foundation going in carving out form with values even before color. There are a ton of tuts on here to look through. Also ( I dn if anyone hates this book who is a professional but I am gonna recommend it) The book character Design and Painting The Photoshop CS edition ...or....The Painter IX Edition by Don Seegmiller can give you a solid foundation digitally as far as color theory, goes (value, color all that jazz) and how to manipulte your digital package. There is a Photoshop version of the book and painter version As I said earlier. I think its awesome for anyone trying to learn to paint digitally it will get you moving. For animal anatomy and drawing animals I suggest Animal Anatomy for artists by Elliot Goldfinger. And the book The Weatherly Guide to Drawing Animals by Joe Weatherly. Anyway thems my two cents on that stuff. Hope that helps!

Warrior Style

The first rule of Warrior Style is, You do not stop drawing.
    The second rule of Warrior Style is, You DO NOT stop drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile as always

as always u r hiting the right spot, thanks a lot man, thanks a lot for all ur coments and recomendations, i agree with u about the perfection matter, how ever one of my biggest problems is that sometimes i become obsessed with detail, but most of the time (when pencil drawing) i tend to get despered to finish the piece and thats whats making me crazy, my lak of patience, ...
    took a week of work and whanted to draw mare then to use my macbook, hope to get starting again with some new projects and have u on board, always nice to here ur advices and constructive crits.
    cheers and happy new year full of good stuff to u and urs.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.