Free Time

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Free Time

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wink Free Time

You'd be surprised what you can accomplish when you get to make art all day long. Recently, I had this opportunity fall into my proverbial lap and I've been trying my best to take advantage of the situation before me. It really is nice to have the time to throw down all the ideas that rush into your head. I find myself developing and progressing faster than I have been able to in the past few years. Of course, I have always tried to push myself to further my art knowledge and craft but ultimately I always found myself in a rut. I suppose that that is the struggle that "we" as artists must inherently be bound to. However, I find this struggle empowering while at the same time disheartening. It's a double edged sword, as they say. But isn't that what drives us to be better, uncertainty? I for one cannot explain how relevant this feeling of indecision is to my life. Maybe it's the constant skirmish to find our own footing that feeds us or perhaps it is the fear that our gift will suddenly evaporate. About a month ago I took a class for artists looking to learn more about business called "Artist as an Entrepreneur" and I found the to be a very rewarding class. They teach the gamut of branding, marketing, taxes, sole proprietorship, your rights as an artist, and you get to meet those who have used the class to better their station in life. If you would like information on this class (currently only offered in Cleveland, OH) http://www.cpacbiz.org/community/event.php?id=99

While amidst the AEI class I was also introduced to a book called http://www.amazon.com/Art-Fear-David.../dp/0961454733. I highly recommend it for it's honest nature and broad view of the fears and hopes of being an artist these days. This book is essential for any artist; professional or up-and-coming.

Lastly, In my free time I also found time to re-develop my website into what I like to think is the best it has been (content and look)
    in the 6 years I've had it up on the World Wide Web! Visit here
    at http://www.artisticwit.com. I hope you all enjoy the changes. Thanks for reading and keep on
    creating!
    ~JCS

J. Christopher Schmidt
    Comic Book Artist / Illustrator
    www.artisticschmidt.net
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mm, more schools need to teach the business side. I know that sort of stuff stresses me out too. Which is why I am hearby giving up art and becoming a chef.

I'm going to check out that book. Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Very true!

Awesome! I hope you enjoy the book. It's informative and introspective. Let me know what you think!

Business is a tough thing to get a grasp on when you are an artist focused on being creative but art schools should still supply required classes to help us out! I'm amazed that more people don't realize how art and business go hand in hand.

Peace out, brutha.
    ~Chris

J. Christopher Schmidt
    www.artisticschmidt.net

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow small world i was actually at one of the meetings because I was down at towerpress last month interviewing one of the artist who live there ( georgio sabino) and Peaked in for a sec.

Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Really?

Wow! That is pretty crazy. Did you happen to hear anything they were talking about? I really enjoyed the class. Thanks for posting noshadowmaster. Take it easy!
    ~Chris

J. Christopher Schmidt
    www.artisticschmidt.net

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nothing is free in in this world, other than that yes I agree. When you do art all day you do progress MUCH faster...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    no i only peeked i for a sec i was shooting video that day i noticed the sign so i looked in for a sec my friend filled me in wht it was all about.

Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Still, That is pretty cool though. It's strange how life fits together sometimes.

Idiot Apathy, blog and noshadowmaster! Thanks for your comments!
    ~Chris

J. Christopher Schmidt
    www.artisticschmidt.net

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.