digital colors

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: digital colors

Thanks
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,439 Times in 259 Posts
    I'm surprised - usually it's more difficult to get correct colors when using pigments. On the computer, colors are perfect. Blue and yellow always make green. Pigments are a lot more wonky. Haven't you ever encountered a blue and a yellow pigment that don't make green?

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    or purple

Ive made more mud trying to get a nice rich purple (until I found the alizarin crimson and French ultramarine combo)

but I have trouble getting the nuances of colour I want digitally... maybe I do it by feel with the paint.. not sure
    chaos

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Thanks
    Digital painting involves mixing light elements, which is different than the way that pigments mix together, especially with color complements. Do some seaches here or elsewhere on color theory and light, and that should start to clear things up for you.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,669 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2100
    When you're painting traditional, you just kinda arbitrarily mix the complementary colors on the canvas to get the right grey/shadow.
    If your process consists of "arbitrarily mixing" until you happen to stumble upon the right color, no wonder you're having problems. That's no way to go about things, no matter what medium you're using.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedling
    Haven't you ever encountered a blue and a yellow pigment that don't make green?
    I hate my red oil, because instead of getting a darker/duller red when mixed with black, I get purple.

Thanks

Last edited by 2100; August 18th, 2013 at 08:50 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,376 Times in 324 Posts
    1.Compared to those for paint mixing, the complementary relationships for digital colour mixing are DIFFERENT (as dbclemons says) and are much more precisely PREDICTABLE, as Seedling says, although the example she gives could be confusing (see 2 below).

2. Whether you are using Photoshop or Painter, the opposite colour you see on the colour wheel in the program shows you the exact complementary you need. Note in particular that pure blue (R=000 G=000 B=255), NOT purple, is the exact complement of pure yellow (R=255 G=255 B=000), as you can in fact see by the numbers in brackets.

3. To get the exact digital complement of any colour, use the colour picker to find out the value of the hue (H): the pure complement will be the pure colour with the exact opposite hue i.e. H+180, S=100 B=100 in Photoshop, or H+50% S=100% V=50% in Painter. Try it!

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Another trick in Painter or PShop is to draw a color on one layer, make a new layer and draw over the bottom color with white, and then change the top layer method to "difference." That will show you the opposite hue.

Thanks

colors

you could also download a color wheel jpeg from the www and color pick to make color mixing feel more traditional. its kinda fun...sometimes. but the best part is never wasting pigment when you come up with mud.

Members who have read this thread: 1