Thanks

Homepage in the making

Since I had to do a website with imageready for class anyway, I decided to make my homepage. At this point I have one major issue: how to constrain proportions of the browser window for all the pages and the popups from the gallery. If anyone is versed with webdesign and could spare some help, I would be grateful.

Anyway, here is the momentary version.

http://axisofevildisco.com/
    Last edited by skullsquid; December 12th, 2006 at 02:29 PM.
    DON'T CLICK THIS

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by evildisco
    Since I had to do a website with imageready for class anyway, I decided to make my homepage. At this point I have one major issue: how to constrain proportions of the browser window for all the pages and the popups from the gallery. If anyone is versed with webdesign and could spare some help, I would be grateful.

Anyway, here is the momentary version.

http://axisofevildisco.com/main.html
    This can easily be done with javascript. If you need my help, let me know. I can put it together pretty quick and show you how to edit the code to accomodate pop-up dimensions for indivudul images - J

Thanks
    That would be great, if you have the time to spare.
    DON'T CLICK THIS

Thanks
    What I usually do is use Frames.
    In the middle frame (INDEX) is your actual homepage, and those other frames are all filled with a blank page, which you just give a background colour or something.
    Here's an example of the source code in HTML (in which the main page has proportions of 800 x 600);

<html>

<FRAMESET ROWS="*,600,*" border="0">
    <frame src="blank.html" scrolling="no">
    <frameset cols="*,800,*">
    <frame src="INDEX.html" scrolling="no">
    </frameset>

</FRAMESET>

<body bgcolor="...">
    <title>Home</title>
    </body>
    </html>

I hope this helped ya out a bit.
    Instead of "800" and "600" you should fill in the width and height of the homepage you already made.

EDIT; oh yes, to constrain proportions of popups for each image is probably best if done in Javascript. But I don't know how javascript works ^^ so just listen to Mecha Hate Chimp

love
    Marleen

Thanks
    Pop this code into the <head> of your popup.

Code:
    <script Language="Javascript">self.resizeTo(width,height);</script>
    Where it says width, input the width of the popup. Where it says height, input height. Good rule of thumb is to also buffer each dimension with about 50 pixels to account for scroll bars and the rest of the browser itself. I have a more in depth script if you need to eliminate scrollbars and all that junk, but this is the easiest method I know of.

Thanks
    evildisco,

Check your pm

Thanks
    Why is it all images when you're using such a simple sans-serif anyway? The site takes some unbelievable 8 seconds to load on my DSL connection when it should be easy to make it load in 1 - 2 secs. Also, the slices you use look the same all along the page, but they use different images. So, everytime I click a link, the whole imagery has to be reloaded but it looks the same.

- Designwise, I like it. The type's not my taste but ok and fits what you want to achieve I think.

- Don't open up the pics in a new window, everyone can use CTRL/Apple and SHIFT to achieve that.

- Important when you want to be found: Tag your <title> attribute correctly. At the moment, it says "gallerypage". Why don't you change it to something like "evildisco - portfolio of digital art, illustration, concept art - gallery"

- The same applies to html filenames and picture names (not 01.jpg, but title.jpg). Make them semantically correct. It will pay off with more visitors and better accessability.

Mostly technically issues. No offence, but it really lacks professionalism on that side.

Thanks
    I agree with Jabo.

The concept is interesting and the imagery is nice, but as a website it fails to deliver. try breakign away form teh standard gallery website concept, loose the splash page, it's completely useless.

The home page of a website shoudl give the viewer insight as to what they can expect IF they choose to go further. Try sumarizing every section of teh website on the home page, and make sure you have text to accompany everything.

If you have any questions or need more elaboration, dont' hesitate to ask.

good luck,

dreiden

Thanks
    Im with Jabo and dreiden as well..... which is why I redesigned the site from the ground up: http://www.joelcarlo.net/temp/misc/axisofevildisco.com/

I tried to stay true to what evildisco had laid out but the code was completely reworked. As far as layouts go, its a bit much and I agree with dreiden's last comment. My suggestion is if youve never designed a site, look for inspiration in other sites. Good looks are fine but functionality is what makes or breaks a site.

Thanks
    Thanks for all the help and feedback. I always struggle with webdesign, it is definetely something that doesn't come easy.

Joel, thank you for the revised version.
    DON'T CLICK THIS

Thanks
    great design
    very clear and easy to use
    not your first one I guess
    my sketchbook
    friends Sketchbooks:Dile_, Stine
    my flickr go there if you want to see my photography stuff

<mildly sarcastic remark that seems a little cutting at first read, but contains wisdom and is really rather funny>

Ilaekae: "I'm sick and tired of "purists" who dictate their own anal preoccupations to everybody else as the word of gods."

Thanks
    Joel's version comes a lot better, loading time has been minimized. I'd get rid of the pop-up window tho, it's unnecessary and not up-to-date web design. Pop-ups are buggers, no matter if they're filled with advertising or a website.

evildisco: Sure, if you're not into it, it doesn't come easy. But I respect when people want to do it themselves. At least you were asking for feedback