Thanks

Question Do you Photoshop with: Painter/Illustrator/Poser/Flash?

Hi guys and girls,
    I'm writing to see if any of you would mind me picking your brains. Do any of you use photoshop with the following programs: Painter, Illustrator, Poser, Flash?

More importantly, if you do, how?
    I'm writing an article on how Photoshop can be incorporated with these programs and how it can benefit an artist setting out to create original artwork.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    Dave
    The sketchbook thread!

The Art of David and Sarah Cousens: www.CoolSurface.com!
    The Cool Surface Art blog: http://CoolSurface.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DavidCousens

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Yes to Illustrator and Flash.

Mainly I use it to apply textures to my vector work. I could just use the bitmapping tool in Flash, but I find it unreliable and not as versatile as some of the layering options in Photoshop.

I also create bitmaps in Photoshop to be used as backgrounds or even puppeted characters in Flash. I haven't done this a lot, but I have seen many artists use this effectively, though it is memory-consuming for Flash.

I also use Photoshop to create mock-ups of sprites, from vector art drawn in Illustrator. I directly copy and past artwork from Illo to PS as pixel art, then I use the indexed color mode and a 1 pixel square brush to clean it up, then save it in a ramped palette.

Nothing spectacular, mostly stuff for work.

Thanks
    Hi.

I usually work like this: pencilled sketch or OC-sketch (very rough) gets traced in Illustrator and then gets finished in Photoshop.
    As Steph, i use PS for textures and to get some soft rendering on skin etc on my characters. Usually i go nuts in Illustrator with linewidths and brushtypes. When i'm lazy, i just use PS magic brush and fill big spaces. PS is good for adding some touches Illustrator just makes frustrating.

Hope this was helpful.

Thanks
    I actually use photoshop, over certain shots of basic scenes in maya. It helps me quickly get down what kind of lighting I want in the environment, along with what type of technique I want to use for texturing.

Thanks
    Fine art and photogrpahs into Photoshop underneath Illustrator text. Just finished a music CD.

http://www.heartsandbones.com/plus/i...ion/club15.jpg

~M

Thanks
    I use Photoshop for InDesign... Rarely do I use it for Illustrator or Flash...

I use Illustrator for Photoshop and Flash though... I'm still new to Painter, and I can't make the ends of it...
    LONG LIVE YOKO KANNO!!!

Thanks
    Photoshop, painter essentials 2, deep paint 2, artrage 2, inkscape 4.0.
    Not all at the same time, but often in combination.

Thanks

Pencils, more pencils, Painter, Photoshop, Painter then Photoshop

sketch out the idea in a rough, then make an A3 sized line drawing in pencil (with the levels arranged in my brain), make a few interesting background washes in Painter (ix), bring it into Photoshop to experiment with overlay procedures, then paint the main composition in Painter, bring back into Photoshop to add small incidental effects,

Painter, as a computer-based tool is head and shoulders above photoshop, but it doesn't compare in the layers and editing process. Thank frank we have both
    (plus extra credit to Seethaman Narayanan

Thanks
    InDesign is prepress application, mainly for books and magazines.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Grr
    InDesign is prepress application, mainly for books and magazines.
    I'm trained in Editorial Design so I had to learn InDesign... Do you Photoshop with: Painter/Illustrator/Poser/Flash? I'm equally fascinated with Editorial, Typography, and Illustration designs...
    LONG LIVE YOKO KANNO!!!

Thanks
    I use PS in combination with Flash, Corel Draw, indesign, Quark,Dreamweaver, GoLive Fireworks, Illustrator and a slew of other applications (I'm a graphic/web designer).

Every program has it's strong points, and Photoshop is meant to manipulate and work with photos. Any rasdter iamge i use for any project will fly through PS, wether it's for color correction, resizing, manipulation or even for color space adjustments. I especially like using PSD files with the rest of the CS because of the "Place functions, which allow for linked files to be used in projects, without embedding the pictures in your documents (no 250 mb AI files) and while still allowing changes to be made to the photo in PS, whch update on the fly.

Dreiden

Thanks
    Hi again everyone,
    I'd like to start off with a big thankyou to everyone so far for pitching in. I knew the CA crowd would help out! (Actually that isn't just a throwaway statement, out of all of the forums I regularly post on CA was the ONLY one I've asked for help with this, so give yourselves a pat on the back!)

Cookiedough: Could you please elaborate on "PS is good for adding some touches Illustrator just makes frustrating"? What is it that Illustrator makes frustrating here?

dreiden: How do you use ps with flash? I don't have a great deal of feedback with that so far!

If anybody uses Poser with PS *PLEASE* give me a heads up on how you use the 2 programs together. I could also do with some more info from Flash users if anyone has any.

Thanks again guys,
    Dave
    The sketchbook thread!

Thanks
    Textures, patterns and overlays. Erasing li'l bits of lineart. Cropping.

Thanks
    I have a design, web and prepress background so I hope can clarify some things:

Photoshop is bitmap editing software.

Illustrator is a vector based software.

InDesign is an overall prepress software for publishing content like books and magazines.

Each of those are other things that can be done alternatively in one or another, or both, software is just a tool in the designer's (or in this case, artist) hands, we just need to choose which one will do the job better.

These are just Adobe programs, there other brands out there, and rival applications, that are as long, or longer than Adobe in the market.

Photoshop *** Print Shop Pro (bitmap)

Illustrator *** Corel Draw (vector)

InDesign *** Quark Xpress (prepress)

Corel Draw is the favourite of many people out there, specially print shops. While most designers prefer Illustrator for simple things like logos and posters, Corel Draw is more suitable for a productive environment. It has a variable data printing options and other features which Illustrator does not possess.

If you have any questions (bitmaps, vectors, prepress, why do you eat chocolate santas) that I might be able to answer feel free to shoot me a pm.

Thanks
    cookiedough: sorry, I didn't make myself clear, why are those things more trouble in illustrator? File size perhaps?

Dan: I'm already familiar with the raster/vector differences, I was just trying to get an insight on methods people employ while using the programs. I also know why I eat chocolate santas too! Thanks for the feedback anyway though!
    The sketchbook thread!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    I sometimes bring vector graphics I make into Photoshop, and photoshop pics into indesign. So, Illustrator and indesign for me