painting problem

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

painting problem

Hello my friends,
    I made a very complex, detailed drawing... I'm having a problem choosing the right type of colors to paint it, what is the best type of colors for that porpuse?(oil,water,ect...)...I also drew the whole thing with a 0.7 HB pencil, so some minor details don't show clearly, do you think I should outline the edges with a pen?
    thank you

Bwaagggrwehgemmheboah " Whew, now I feel better"
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It depends on what surface you drew it on and what you want the final product to look like. I'm guessing, however, that you don't have much or any experience in any of those mediums. If you are using a medium for the first time, expect to ruin your drawing. If you are particularly attached to the drawing, don't use it to try a new medium.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I usually paint with a tablet...so yes I don't have any experience in painting with a brush...but I'm not planning to ruin my drawing.
    I'm doing this for an art competition, but I'm not allowed to use a tablet.
    Please tell me the most I can do to make reasonable painting.
    I sketched on a thick paper, and I want to make a detailed painting... I hope that clear things to you

Bwaagggrwehgemmheboah " Whew, now I feel better"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It doesn’t matter if you are planning or not planning to ruin your drawing. You can’t expect to get good results the first time that you try a new medium.

*sigh* Try acrylic paints. With acrylics, if you mess up, then you can paint over your mistake as soon as the paint dries. However, you can’t erase, and as soon as your pencil lines are covered up, they will be gone for good.

A safer way to do it would be to copy your painting onto a painting surface such as canvas or illustration board. That way you won’t ruin your original drawing.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can always xerox your drawing and then paint over the top of that(once you have it mounted to board). It takes a lot of the pressure off since you still have the original. Then you can explore several different mediums to your hearts content.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Exactly, photocopy your drawing, and mount it on illustration board with matte medium, first put it on the back of the copy, then on the board then lay it down flat, use a library card to squish it down to the edges, but make sure no matte medium gets ontop of the drawing and it stays dry till you push it all the way down on the edges and there are no bubbles between the copy and the illustration board. Then you can go over the entire thing with matte medium and smooth it out properly, be generous with it. Smooth it out real well and when its vaguely dry to the touch cover the surface in clear gesso, keep it really smooth too, hell you may even be able to sand it with a bit of really fine sandpaper when its dry, that way you keep your painting, its copied and you have multiple copies incase you fuck it up. I suggest using acrylics with this, start off with dark washes and build up to more opaque lights, also you can mist your acrylics so they dont go dry while you work (on your palette ofcourse, not on your painting)

Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Can you post this drawing? My first thought is "You never used acrylic or watercolor or oil and you are expecting that you will be able to paint it as you would laying color over it on the 'puter?"

***Slaps forehead***

Good luck my friend.

Whatever you do, don't look at my Sketchbook and Painting Thread!

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am not horribly familiar with painting, but what I am sure of is that if you do go about trying to paint for a contest, and you are trying to paint over pencils, definitely make copies, I honestly never touch an original once I have it, i just copy it and put it in a folder (breaks my heart when i ruin a finished drawing ) My sister however is more familiar, and she says that if you do go acrylics and its your first time, definitely don't paint on anything that you cant afford to get destroyed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    use some light washes first, very watered down paint. or in the case of oils very diluted paint. the paint will be transparent and will not cover up your lines. using this wash cover the entire surface laying down all the basic colors of your painting. Then with the next layers you can detail and maintain your drawing easier!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.