CHOW #53 - Guest Host: Julian Gollop - Topic: X-Com - The Chryssalid - revamp - Page 2

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

this is one of my attempts so far
    can't wait to see more concepts on this topic

CHOW #53 - Guest Host: Julian Gollop - Topic: X-Com - The Chryssalid - revamp

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    cool entries so far !!

Here's tonights start...meh, it's something to work on anyways!

ortho will be done too
    cheers!

Last edited by hurricane; December 27th, 2006 at 07:41 PM.

-----------------------------------------------------------
    BJÖRN HURRI | CONCEPT ARTIST & ILLUSTRATOR

MY PORTFOLIO | HURRICANES DAILY DOODLES '12
    MY EXCLUSIVE SKETCHBOOK
    VIKING: BATTLE FOR ASGARD
    TWITTER
    THE OTHER BROTHERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by vances22
    It's not good to make a concept blocky, like it is in game to hand to a modeler. I know it sounds like it would be easier on them (it seems logical) but it's not. It hinders the model substantially. The modeler is going to try to match the silhouette of the character as best as he can with a given poly count. So if he is handed something that is blocky it's actually going to look worse when it is finished, because it will seem blocky and inorganic.
    Hey dude, thanks for the feedback.

heh, I was actually wanting a blocky alien, and not so much for ease of modelling (although I did try and keep the number of spikes down this time ). I was going for a stylised look instead of something completely flexible and curvy. I just wanted something different than the super-agile monster look, and ended up with this oaf.

So I suppose this can translate to the crit "I don't like the blocky look"? heh

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hurricane-that is going to be one helluvan ortho!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hhaha hey Cognition. I think it looks good man. It sounded in your post like you did it that way not completely like you wanted too cause i saw the words "in-game" after a description of the body lol. I guess there was confusion on my part. As a modeler I like the concepts to be as awesome as the concept artist wants them to be. I wouldn't dumb down a concept to model and I would not wanna see someone else do the same thing you know? so glad we cleared that up. Lets see that illustration!

Warrior Style

The first rule of Warrior Style is, You do not stop drawing.
    The second rule of Warrior Style is, You DO NOT stop drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm helping my brother move this weekend so there is zero chance this will get finished in time. But since no one is going quite this direction I figured I would post this quick WIP from my sketchbook. Its got a little color and value tweak in photoshop to help it read.

Its only goal in life is to impregnate every living thing it lays eyes on so I only gave it what it needs for that goal. Has eyes to see its victims, legs to chase them, a big c*** to rape them, and the rest of it's structure is a big sack of spores so it can do it over and over. To fit the description I should probably make the legs exoskeletal. It slowly consumes the corpse of its host for energy. Thats why it doesn't have a mouth but it does wear a torso as a hat.

Last edited by subtle_squid; December 15th, 2006 at 12:19 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LOL Squid!

hehe, cheers Vance. Yea, I think I need the illustration to really clarify it... Will get onto that soon enough, so many things to do at the moment

Also, very nice, Hurri. That pic didn't load last time I was in the thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hurricane - WOW. Definately the best one yet! I'd love a tutorial on that one!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just an update for today.... whoohoo... zombie skin!

Last edited by Woodlandwalker; December 15th, 2006 at 01:13 PM.
    Drawing is the honesty of the art. There is no possiblity of cheating. it is either good or bad. ~ Dali

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is my WIP

Warrior Style

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here is my start

what do you think for a rough start.
    we will se were it goes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    woah, i just noticed the deadline isn't today, but next sunday. maybe I will finish. I better get working

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha sweet squid. I would love to see that thing finished.

Cognition - Nice job dude. I could deffinatly model fromt hat hehehehe

Warrior Style

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    testing out a way of doing things.
    lots of fun.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey all, thought I'd give this chow a shot, havent been active here for a long while

Here's a wip... the character isn't upright cuz its still hatching out of its host
    Seen that its a chrysalid, I thought it'd sort of make sense to add some torn remnants of wings. And maybe give it a feline attitude, why the heck not And I just realized I'm not to keen on drawing crab-like clawed arms/legs .

"...BUT I'M TRYING, RINGO. I'M TRYING REAL HARD TO BE THE SHEPHERD."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WIP, WIP, WIPPPITTTY, WIP.

Tim.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wip

My entry for CHOW #53.

My aim for this design was to exhibit the parasitic nature of the creature and its origins from a human/zombie host.
    Pincers and exoskeleton features from the original led me to think about the hermit crab. Drawing from that inspiration, I reasoned that the creature need not completely shed its human host, rather, it would be exceedingly horrifying for it to use the corpse of its former host as its "shell", from which several alien appendages would protrude.

The creature walks on four limbs. Two bone/exoskeletal claws on the right side, in the place of the left arm of the human host. The remaining two are the puppeted remains of the host's legs. Host's right forearm and hand have been replaced by an alien pincer. Tentacles protrude from the left side of the creature (where it used to be the groin area of the host) and act as "arms" to grapple things with. Three large tentacles protrude from the front of the creature (right side of abdomen for host) act as sensory devices, and can be perceived as a head for the creature. The creature impregnates opponents by first holding them firm with the pincer, then stabbing one of the three sensory tentacles into the victim, subsequently releasing spores into the body.

Last edited by Kougansharde; December 23rd, 2006 at 02:34 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is mine so far, i dont know if i will get to the ortho or not.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Everyone is looking good. Cheers to everyone!I swear I am working on mine lol have an update tomorrow. Still workin on teh illustration and gonna block in my ortho. and Kougan, have fun with that ortho hahaha

Warrior Style

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by vances22
    Kougan, have fun with that ortho hahaha
    Haha, thanks man. I'm predict the most common question thrown to me later will be: "Alright Kougan, which is the front?"

Honestly, I'm still trying to decide myself, but tentatively the pic I posted is the front view.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woah O.o Where did all these entries come from?
    I guess they didn't load as they should have the last time I was here
    Kickass stuff everyone, I can't wait to see them all done!

I only have my initial sketch atm, but ah well.
    I'll be working more on it tomorrow ;D

Peace!

edit2: Ok, here's another pic of the progress.
    It looks boring, and crappy, just like usual >_< I still can't bring them to the next step properly( especially not know, when the current step is unfinished )
    Unfortunately, I don't think that I'll be able to present a full ortho( which views are needed btw? ), but I'll see what I can do.

edit: Sorry guys, but imageshack is being bitchy, so I can't upload my pic
    A link will have to suffice for now.

Last edited by Zynic; December 21st, 2006 at 02:37 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here's my doodle so far... i hope this deadline is next week because i've got a ton of stuff to finish

Thanks
    Thanked 1,881 Times in 423 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Some ideas

Gonna try and get this one done. Hard enough to try and keep up with the fine work already posted but I'll do my best. Few sketches with pencil and used toilet paper. (At least that's what I'm guessing it used to be). Does anyone use that anymore?

Hurricane: You must be surrounded by monsters in Sweden because no else seems to have the reference that you do. Awesome.

Radunz: Aren't most impregnators phallic? Great sketches.

Working on the SB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hi people... killer entries!!!

i wont have time to finish it... what is online is the only thing i've had time to do... sorry...will contribute on some other one!

thank yo uall for the kind words my entry has gotten so far!

cheers!

BJÖRN HURRI | CONCEPT ARTIST & ILLUSTRATOR

MY PORTFOLIO | HURRICANES DAILY DOODLES '12
    MY EXCLUSIVE SKETCHBOOK
    VIKING: BATTLE FOR ASGARD
    TWITTER
    THE OTHER BROTHERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome entries, everyone. MisledtoMisery, Howie, and Hurricane have my favorite entries so far. Thank gosh multiple votes are allowed.

And Michael Jaecks...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jaecks
    ...I may be dating myself with this admission...
    To steal a punchline from a Dilbert comic strip, it's not as if anyone else would date you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Chryssalid revamp

Hello. Here is my go at this topic. I am stuck in a cartoon world...sorry.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kept the promise of an update... a little late lol. Working on the ortho and this thing at the same time. Thank god christmas shopping is done. I can paint all day tomorrow. Is there and extension comin or no? I know we have had 2 weeks, but sunday is christmas eve....

Warrior Style

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Throwin' my hat in the ring this time too. With any luck the ortho'll be done by tonight... considering I think this'll be the first ortho I've ever even attempted to complete by a deadline who the hell knows. Never really put together monsters before either so this one was a pretty fun task while also maintaining that humanoid bipedal link.

EDIT: Updated with Ortho, and Head Features. Woo! Merry Christmas everyone! See you monday or something!
    PS: Can't figure out how to link from the CA.org upload, and uh, the Photobucket version gets shrunk every time. Lil' help? lol

Last edited by troylikestomakestuff; December 31st, 2006 at 06:55 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aaaahhhhhh!!!!! I'm SO excited and SO frustrated at the same time! I'm excited because after all these years the original X-Com is probably still my favorite game of all-time (I still have the strategy guide sitting on my bookshelf) - and redesigning something for it is the coolest idea ever. And I'm frustrated because I've been so busy with Christmas prep that I didn't see this until now! So today is almost over, and tomorrow is Christmas Eve... so that leaves me almost no time to work on it. Oh well, I'm going give
    it a shot. If I don't submit something don't be surprised, but I'll see what I can do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey everyone, great entries thus far!
    Here's mine. As usual I feel I could've done more, but its all a learning process. Right? Anyhow, hope you guys like it.

The parasitic Chryssalid takes on the physical traits of its host during the larva stage. Because its DNA is alien to all known life forms it is very rare to not develop some form of genetic mutation. The reproductive system is very unique in the Chryssalid in that it is hermaphroditic, although it does need a host to reproduce. This happens in a two-part process: first it inserts its "female part" (the visible part is a stocky hollow tongue like muscle that protrudes from the neck just above the collarbone. At its base it connects to the stomach where busy ovaries produce dozens of eggs at a time. When needed the eggs are accessed by being pushed through a series of muscles in the rib cage and through the "tongue.") into the oral orifice of its prospective host and lays an egg in the chest cavity. Secondly the Chryssalid's "male part" (a long prehensile tube the bares a sharp needle like tip) extends from "the scrotum." It then probes the hosts body searching for and orifice, or soft spot. Once a suitable area is found for penetration the "male part" delicately weaves through the hosts internal organs until it gets near the egg. It then releases a sperm like substance, which both inseminates the egg and causes a chemical reaction in the host to take on zombie like characteristics.

...and that's where baby Chryssalids come from

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.