Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

I am preparing a portfolio for college and i need some life drawings to draw.

I am looking for good pictures of men/women that i should draw. I searched but can't find any good ones that would really show the life drawing side. And please no nude pictures for this. I have tons of those. I need regular everyday life pictures of people.

Thanks.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    You do realize that if you're working from photos it's not a life drawing?
    Figure drawing, yes. Life drawing, no.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Yeah but you can't tell the difference if i drew it from a picture or a real life. I mean come on, you can't expect me to get someone and have em' do a pose and be like that for hours until i finish drawing em'. And i don't think any body is willing to pose. None the less, i'll be doing that life drawings for enviromental and hands drawing anyway. But for people, it's best to stick it to pictures.

Thanks
    No, that's why you go to life drawing classes, where a model will pose for the class.

And actually, you can tell the difference between photo study and life study.
    Finn | my sketchbook thread | tumblr | Bēhance | gorillaartfare | whiskey, gin, and pints of beer

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Werewolf
    Yeah but you can't tell the difference if i drew it from a picture or a real life.
    OH YES I CAN. And so can anyone reviewing entry portfolios. After all, they do it for a living.
    So, working from photos is fine, but don't go calling them "life drawings." All that will show is that either (a) you don't know what you are talking about, or (b) you think you can put something over on people. Neither is a very good way to impress an admissions officer.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Thanks
    Yeah but you can't tell the difference if i drew it from a picture or a real life. I mean come on, you can't expect me to get someone and have em' do a pose and be like that for hours until i finish drawing em'. And i don't think any body is willing to pose. None the less, i'll be doing that life drawings for enviromental and hands drawing anyway. But for people, it's best to stick it to pictures.
    Why not? People do it all the time. I'm sure you've atleast heard of life drawing classes somewhere.

And Life drawing is astronomically different than drawing from photos.
    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    um wow dude, even if you couldnt tell the difference from drawings from life and from a photo, you learn tons more from actual observation from life. Take our advice, and if not...this will surely be another one to add to the Worst of CA thread.

Thanks
    Lol, you seem to have it all figured out.

NO, it's not best to stick to pictures. And yes, you can tell if
    it's drawn from a picture.
    You say in your first post that you need pictures of everyday life people.
    Ever considered going out with a sketchbook and just draw everyone around you in public places?
    www.tomvandewouwer.com

"There is no such thing as 'accurate drawing'. There is beautiful
    drawing, and ugly, and nothing else." JAD Ingres, Ecrits sur l'art
    (1780-1865)"

Thanks
    I didn't say sticking to pictures is the best way to go. I simply mean, since i don't have anyone to model for me, i can draw it from the pictures. Don't get it wrong. I've done tons of life drawing before but they were quick drawings. Under 30 mins each. Since this is for the portfolio, it's going to take hell of alot more than 30 mins to do. Infact it's going to take hours and hours to make a good life drawing. And no one is willing to pose for that much time. So that's why for this, i can draw from pictures since i have no other choice. Or unless you guys have a better idea.

And i really don't see the difference between life drawing and figure drawing. They are basically drawing. Doesn't matter if you drew it from life or by looking at a photo. What matters is that you can draw good.

Thanks
    I've done tons of life drawing before but they were quick drawings. Under 30 mins each.
    That's exactly the sort of thing admissions depts. want to see.
    Since this is for the portfolio, it's going to take hell of alot more than 30 mins to do. Infact it's going to take hours and hours to make a good life drawing. And no one is willing to pose for that much time. So that's why for this, i can draw from pictures since i have no other choice. Or unless you guys have a better idea.
    Do you own a mirror?

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Thanks
    To really get good you need to go outside in the world and draw from life. Speed is the key. You gotta up your observation and memory. Scribble down their pose and take it from there. If you're trying to get super realistic style drawings that take hours, you're best off doing a hardcore study of a bust or statue or something.

Thanks
    I don't know if this was mentioned already because I only read like two or three posts after your original post. Why not just take pictures of your friends or family and draw from that? I mean it's not Life Drawing but its free reference material.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 259 Posts
    Yeah but you can't tell the difference if i drew it from a picture or a real life.
    Wrong, try again. The professors judging your portfolio will not only be able to tell that you copied a photograph, but they may well count that against you.

Get a friend to pose for you, or a family member. Or sketch a pet. If that fails, draw a house-plant or your shoe. Any of these things will be better in your portfolio than a copy of a photograph.

Since this is for the portfolio, it's going to take hell of alot more than 30 mins to do. Infact it's going to take hours and hours to make a good life drawing.
    Wrong again. A good quick drawing is worth so much more in a student portfolio than an agonized multi-hour drawing.

Doesn't matter if you drew it from life or by looking at a photo. What matters is that you can draw good.
    No no no no no. If you can only draw by copying photographs, then you are relying on a crutch, and the admissions folks are going to see that and they aren’t going to let you into their college.

Quote Originally Posted by A.Cerasoli
    Why not just take pictures of your friends or family and draw from that? I mean it's not Life Drawing but its free reference material.
    While this is a more ethical use of photography in drawing, it still isn’t going to impress the admissions folks at a college.
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    I didn't say sticking to pictures is the best way to go.
    Uhh... Really?

it's best to stick it to pictures.

Please, do us a favor and take a look around. You are surrounded by thousands of proffesionals, one good one who is actually POSTING RIGHT IN YOUR THREAD, and you shrug them off? Take a look at Elwell's work before you try to blow off what he is telling you.

Thanks
    how do you tell the difference anyway?

Thanks
    Look at this and tell me he could have done the same using photos.

Thanks
    i can't tell. that's why i'm asking.
    how do you tell?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 259 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ah.heng
    how do you tell?
    Experience.
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    I'd say every life drawing I've seen, even the worst of the bunch has had more energy and feeling than a photo study.

Supposing you feel it completely necessary to submit a multiple hour rendering study for your portfolio, what spectrum of light and shadow do you think you would capture from a photo as opposed to a real life model? (or cast) You're relying on the lens in your eye to reinterpret the camera's lens which is a limited interpretation of the available light in the setting. Plus you're reinterpreting someone else's photographic art, instead of starting fresh with your experience of the model.
    Don't limit yourself. And don't cheat yourself out of the virtues of art for the sake of a admissions portfolio. That's fear-based. And certainly no way to approach art :.
    Last edited by max xiantu; December 10th, 2006 at 11:39 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ah.heng
    how do you tell?

While Seedling is correct, this really irks me as willful misunderstanding. If not, I'm sorry then.

Thanks
    And i really don't see the difference between life drawing and figure drawing. They are basically drawing. Doesn't matter if you drew it from life or by looking at a photo. What matters is that you can draw good.
    While this is true to some degree, it comes with experience. Working from life will teach you things you'll never get from photos. And not to sound heretical, but there are things photography can teach you that working from life never will. The experienced artist integrates knowledge from every source possible into their process, and it may not make a huge difference whether they are working from life, reference, or imagination. However, for the UNexperienced artist, one who hasn't gone through that process, there are several sure tip-offs that a piece has been done from photos that can be spotted a mile away.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Thanks
    Werewolf:

Little boy... you make me laugh...

Thanks
    to answer your original question, why not try flickr.com
    although the best photos will be those you take yourself.

And draw from life dammit

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    The experienced artist integrates knowledge from every source possible into their process, and it may not make a huge difference whether they are working from life, reference, or imagination
    yes. Being able to work from a photo properly takes years of experience (much of it in not working from photos) and being able to pass off photo-ref work as life-ref, well, that obviously take even longer.

edit: by the way, one of the problems in working from photos is magnified x100 if you are using photos that you didn't take. That problem is in having an incomplete understanding of the environment of your subject. You might know what it is, like, generally, but you don't know it the same as having been there. This can be a serious problem. FYI
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    http://www.vilppustudio.com/redesign...taly/italy.htm

http://www.dhfa.net/artiststatement.html

This is life drawing. Generally, you can't achieve this by rendering from a photo.

Y'know, people talk too much. Get to the point.
    My New Neglected Sketchbook
    You Ain't no Nina!.....

"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- John Fitzgerald Kennedy
    "My mind is made up. Don't confuse it with facts." -- Terence McKenna

Thanks
    Poor examples as the Doug Higgins page says
    ART SCHOOL SAMPLE ILLUSTRATIONS (B & WH PHOTO REFERENCE)
    and Villpu uses photo CDs as part of his teaching methods.

I suppose sometimes you just need words ...

Thanks
    Look at the 'life' drawings, not the illustrations.
    Poor examples? Most of you can't even achieve that level.

If you think that was brutal, wait till you submit your portfolio to an art instructor.

Those Vilpuu drawings had to be made from life. If it was done from photos, I'm sure he would have put more time into rendering them.

That's the key. Generally, life drawing is more gestural then rendered.
    Last edited by NoSeRider; December 11th, 2006 at 10:46 AM.
    You Ain't no Nina!.....

"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by max xiantu
    Poor examples as the Doug Higgins page says
    and Villpu uses photo CDs as part of his teaching methods.

I suppose sometimes you just need words ...

Those vilppu drawings are done from life, on his sketching tours.

Thanks
    http://www.henryyanart.com/

If you really want to be intimidated look at this guy.
    You Ain't no Nina!.....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,223 Times in 626 Posts
NoSeRider, I dont care about this discussion, i just want to thank you TONS for
posting that link!

Thank you man.. thats some awesome inspiration right there!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast