Art: Atelier Studies - Intro and Image Dump
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Atelier Studies - Intro and Image Dump

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Post Atelier Studies - Intro and Image Dump

Hello,

I am a bit of a late bloomer, compared to most of the people here. I am 37 years old and just recently started actively chasing my dream to become an artist. I recently (Feb, 2003) enrolled in the Lafayette Atelier . So far, I have been working in graphite and charcoal. I do Bargue studies , Cast Drawings and figure studies there. I generally use the sight size and comparitive measurements or a combination of both. My experiences with this program has been very good. I have learned a lot and continue to learn every time I go into the studio. Probably my biggest struggle has been line values in my line work and porportion, which seems to be working itself out the more I practice. I feel like I am horribly slow at this. I am not sure if its age or ability working against me, but I am trying to work just a little faster each time.

The following is some of my latest work.

Charcoal/Master copy/Bargue Drawing

Charcoal/WIP/Cast Study-
    Just getting the main shadows in here and finding my darkest values.

The Actual Cast I am working from

My most recent portrait study - WIP
    I have one more sitting to complete this one. The guitar is giving me trouble.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    THese are great man, there are some issues with proportion and your shading seems to lack darker values in the last one.

Welcome!

keep us posted!

-http://iwasink.com/-
    DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    There is nothing wrong with using a photo to help you see things.
    No one complains about life drawing,
    so take a photo.
    its easy, and will improve your piece greatly."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool. Nice to see you're going for it man. And an atelier program no less. I'd like to hear more about the program, how many hours you put in a week, tuition, instruction, etc..
    Hope to see more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MadSamoan - I will give you a rundown of my general school week.

On mondays I have a fundamentals class. This is where I get to work on Bargue Drawings, Cast studies and general technical skills. Generally speaking this is a 3 hour class, but more often than not, I work 4-5 hours, since there is no one comming in for lessons behind me. There are usually 2-4 students currently taking private art lessons during this time and a lot of them are doing just what I am doing.. Bargue and cast studies.

Tuesday is Portrait study. Before I begin to draw, I am given a quick run down on the particular focus of the study. Example: "Tonight, I want you to really focus on your line quality. Do this in sight size and in Charcoal. Your goal this evening is to get just a line study in place and next week, you will begin to fill in the shadow shapes." This is usually a 3 hour session. We will be told in advance how many sittings we will get with this pose etc. So we will often have 4 3hr sessions of a particular pose.

Saturdays are the nude model studies - quick pose. On occasion this will be a 1 hour quick 1-5 minute study series, with a 2 hour long pose. Many times, however, it will be 3 hours of several quick studies (15 min or less).

Sundays are usually the nude model long pose. Just like the portrait studies, these poses vary in numbers of sessions, but remain the 3 hour sessions.

Wednesdays and Thursdays are individual/special study - This really varies depending on what I am trying to study. For example, when I was really struggling with working in charcoal, I would go in and work on that bargue drawing at the top of my picture post. If I miss a non model class session, I make it up on these days. I also get special assignments during this time using composition, line studies, etc.

Fortunately, I am allowed to do all but the bargue, cast and model studies from home. My instructor is very considerate of the Mom of 6 kids thing. As long as I put in no less than 24 hours of study in a weeks time, in or out of the studio, I retain my full time student status.

I currently pay $200/mo. for my tuition, but that is discounted heavily and has a ton to do with the not for profit status of the studio. He also offers a program where you get an apartment, studio access and instruction for a fairly nominal fee. NONE of my supplies is included with my tuition. I believe thats the normal policy for most schools.

In addition to my personal studies, each student is taught to act as a student teacher for those comming in behind them. For example, I am currently able to help get other students set up to do their bargue studies and get them started on their sight size cast studies. I do not assist with helping them solve their problem areas, I just assist them with set up and initial "how do I do this?" kind of stuff. I make sure they have their supplies together that they need for their assignment, etc. I am currently assisting every tuesday night for a 6 week class. This assistance works as a discount on my tuition Schweet deal in my book!

If your still reading - yikes.. I know this is getting long, but...

The program is not set up in set in stone semester type lengths. Basically, you progress from one assignment to another. I started with an hb pencil and did a bargue, cast and several portrait and nude studies before I was allowed to look at a piece of vine charcoal. Once I had mastered the pencil, I moved on. I am currently in charcoal. After charcoal, I get to look forward to monochromatic studies and then very limited pallette studies. I will have to get back to you on how those go :eek:

Under this method, each person progresses individually, but his general time frame for each section is pretty close. As with most things, I seem to go in spurts of "I get it" and then I go with spurts of "Boy, I feel like I am an idiot!" I guess thats pretty normal, according to my instructor.

Hope this answers your questions..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Learning this stuff takes years. I think you're coming along fine.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.