Studio 2nd Street in San Diego CA...

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Studio 2nd Street in San Diego CA...

Hello, I am announcing that my wife Vanessa and I have started a school Studio program in Encinitas California called Studio 2nd Street. you can visit the school at Studio2ndstreet.com for more information and tutorials we post and will be posting, video clips, etc. The clips arent up yet, we still have to settle the architectural layout of that part of the site.

My wife and I are doing what we can to preserve what is called foundation learning. After studying with so many different great artists, we have come to an overall general conclusion of what foundation really is, and how to separate it from techniques and tools, but teach all 3 so the student has a base to learn from, a thorough understanding of each medium we work with, and studying techniques from the artists from our long lineage of art history.

Realism is a part of what we teach but is not solely what we preach. Foundation is important, it is the basis for the hand, eye, brain connection to creativity and productivity. We use realism as the satellite from which we convey the information to the student objectively, but we do not contend or preach that realism is the mantra of art. Your final search for the meaning of you will come individually and from you personally. We are only trying to make you clear in thought as to what you do with your skills we help you acquire, and we totally support your cause.

We are not out to make clones of any of you. We are not out to tout one way and one way only. We are and we do gear you towards a very productive and longstanding career, provided you are willing to learn the basic language of art first. We do not charge very much for our classes, and although we will raise the prices in the near future for economic reasons, we are not out to profit from your education. We are here to help. This is one part of the arts my wife and I care for and love very much, helping others. Neither of us would feel good helping ourselves only, although it is a tempting thought at times. We keep the prices low and the information rich for you.

Where we lack in certain classes, we make up for them in guest workshops.
    Some of the guests coming soon include Ashley Wood, Jon Foster, Justin Sweet, Yimaukun, Henry Yan, David Coleman, Steven Kleopfer, Richard Morris, Aaron Westerberg, Bill Perkins, Nathan Fowkes, JP Targete, Marshall Vanderuff, and a whole lot more. We try to keep these workshops low in cost too. Our goal with the workshops is very similar to our experiences with Conceptart workshops...we want to bring the best here and have an experience with them that we all gain from. That is a very important to us, its a part of growing an art community. We like the idea of art community, but not an ill educated one catering to the best and the rest just squabble over what is right or not. We want to raise the bar on the art education, educate our community as it grows so we help each other grow too. Art is a dying breed and we dont want to see that happen. It only dies if no one wants it anymore. If no one really knows what its all about, and they get their understanding of what art is from the barnes and noble how to shelf, then yes, art will suffer greatly...

We are also in discussion with several global ateliers, about student exchange and teacher exchange programs...we are looking very carefully, as there are only about 5 or 6 in the world really worth connecting with that we have found so far, the rest I feel will confuse the issues a bit with too much preaching in a technique, vs. true education. Two of those schools we are talking with are in China and in Russia. Another school we are talking with and have been, but times have pushed too many projects in our way is the ConceptArt Atelier. We have some great ideas planned, and we have to just sit and figure the details out, but there are going to be some amazing things in the near and not so near future for our studio, and the hopeful growing art community we all create together.

We host art shows every couple of months to show student progress to hopeful buyers, and if nothing more, just to encourage the students. It is difficult to get students to want to show their work when they are learning, and it is so important a step in the learning process. IT is getting over the hang up that you are no good, or not worthy or the work is just aweful...even though the student is quite good. This early morale boost supports their growth, only generates positive support to an otherwise unstable foundation.

Lastly, we really help place people in jobs where we can. Because of my growing list of entertainment clientelle, I have a great opportunity to place you in the working community immediately if the work holds up. We are doing workshops for entertainment studios on art growth, art management, etc. and in doing this, as well as freelancing for several major entertainment houses, we are establishing a strong connection with the greater entertainment industry, one of the few outlets left that really does require a strong academic realism base to get work. In addition, Vanessa's connections in the fine art circle is spreading out into different art communities nationwide and if your interest is in the fine arts, we do what we can to see you connect with the right people there. There are no garuntees, we just have the growing connections.

All in all, for just the two of us currently, you will get more than your fill of what you need. We are treating this very seriously, training students. We enjoy the Sunday painters too, but we are adamant about making sure your education is the best it can be.

Visit Studio2ndstreet.com frequently for changes in the schedule, updates on the tutorial posts, etc.

THe site isnt totally complete yet. There is much more to come. But you get an idea of what we are all about. Hope to hear from you or see you in the future....

Ron and Vanessa

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 781 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Sounds very promising, I will definatly look into this and I may join sometime in the near future! ;] Thanks for the post!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sounds unreal Ron, been really thinking about it -
    Was great to see you and Vanessa at the workshop.

Quick question, when does the next session start?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If anyone else was curious, website was updated - new session starts in February and a course list will be available 'soon'.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I picked up your card for this at the workshop and it sounds awsome. im just wondering what skill lvl would be apropriate for students.
    I only wonder because i plan on studying at Academy of Art in SF and when i was finished with there i was planning on going around and hopefully learning from many different people. 2 of those people would be you and Mrs. Lemen. So would it be apropriate for a student who went through a few years at AAU to become a student at your school or are you leaning more towards very little art education at all?

thanks,
    Kev

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The school looks very promising. I called three times for info and even left two messages. Unfortunately, they never called back. Busy maybe???

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These two are great teachers and wonderful people. if youre in that area and looking for art classes, id say Studio 2nd Street is a good bet!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry to bump a really old thread but I was just hoping that some current or past students could chime in and talk a little about studio 2nd street now that it has been around for a little while....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've never had the opportunity to make it down to Encinitas for a visit, but I did have Ron Lemen for a Figure & Head Drawing/Construction/Quick-Sketch class last quarter at LAAFA.

Ron's an outstanding instructor with an immense wealth of knowledge in just about any subject in art you might have questions on coupled with a tremendous skill set to back it all up. I sometimes jest that he's the only artist that I know of who can produce something awe-inspiring with nothing but a crayon and a dinner napkin if that's all you gave him.

One of my classmates also mentioned he especially liked Ron for painting because you could use any palette and it did not matter to him since he could adapt himself to virtually any style or approach. I can't speak on painting (taking my first class this quarter), but I can vouch for Ron's extreme versatility and utmost acumen as a draftsmen with regards to drawing and rendering.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've recently contacted the school, they mentioned about changes and tuition increase but yet nothing official..Just hope they don't rise it too much.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by marcodoom View Post
    I've recently contacted the school, they mentioned about changes and tuition increase but yet nothing official..Just hope they don't rise it too much.
    Yeah, I don't think they have anyone responding to emails... seems a little weird to me.

Also, there is no student work on their webpage... it would be nice to see stuff that is being produced there...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by AcrylicAce View Post
    Yeah, I don't think they have anyone responding to emails... seems a little weird to me.

Also, there is no student work on their webpage... it would be nice to see stuff that is being produced there...
    Aye, this is all kinda odd, but I'm really interested in hearing what current or past students have to say about the place.

I've been debating between Studio 2nd Street and Watts, but can't make up my mind due to a lack of info

Please post here or pm me if you wouldn't mind.

Thanks!

Last edited by Sayanora; March 24th, 2010 at 11:42 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.