Comic (black and white)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Comic (black and white)

Hello

A couple of days ago, I stumbeled upon an old comicproject of mine and decided to continue drawing it.

http://animexx.onlinewelten.com/douj...ut/9238/11512/

(to read, just hit "weiter" or "nächstes")

Pages 1-4 were drawn in 2004, pages 5 - 8 recently. The illustration was done in 2004 and I think you can see the differences in styles. The idea was to draw an online-comic completely in Photoshop, but I scrapped it rather quickly due to problems while painting. I've been working digital since 2001, I like speedpainting a lot, but that doesn't mean I'm an expert at it and most of the time the pages end up looking fuzzy and confusing (in my opinion).

I'm not asking for someone "to hold my hand throughout painting", but rather someone who's willing to analyse those few pages and give me some advise on structuring the painting process, what to look out for and what to avoid while painting. Thank you

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's great that you described clearly the kind of feedback you are looking for.
    I think it would really help if you posted a few examples in this thread.
    People are much more likely to comment if they can see some artwork right away instead of having to click a link.

emily

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hiho engelszorn,
    welcome to CA
    while I like the style of your drawings on the first pages (rough and speedy)
    you have to think about the comic medium, first panel (or page) should show where the scene takes place for a better understanding
    you maybe have to connect your pages better (using the same char in every one of them isn't enough)
    it's not clear that page 2 happens directly after page 1 since the shadows in the BG of page 1 look quite human and one expects them more to talk to the char then to fight him

btw "verklag mich" is by far one of the worst translations of "sue me" to pick
    maybe "verklag mich doch"

hope it helps Infinit

my sketchbook
    friends Sketchbooks:Dile_, Stine
    my flickr go there if you want to see my photography stuff

<mildly sarcastic remark that seems a little cutting at first read, but contains wisdom and is really rather funny>

Ilaekae: "I'm sick and tired of "purists" who dictate their own anal preoccupations to everybody else as the word of gods."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for your input

Here are some examples:

Comic (black and white)

Comic (black and white)

Comic (black and white)

@ Infinit:

Thank you for your opinion, but I'm not looking for advise on drawing comics. I understand and value your critique, you are very right in pointing out where the comic fails, but I want critique on the painting process. I choose to draw a comic because sketching some designs, copying fotos or doing similar doesn't keep me drawing. When painting a comic, I'm forced to draw subjects, angles and scenes I'd normally avoid.
    I have to think, get reference and try to paint as best as I can, there is just that small catch, that the painting process itself has become a problem of it's own. Normally I would not paint that loose at all, nor have I the knowledge and training how to paint in that style.

That's my usual style:

Comic (black and white)
    I copied a screenshot from an upcoming Final Fantasy game, added some elements of my own and you can see that I'm used to paint faces. That's about it I know how to make Photoshop work for me, but I'm a total n00b when it comes to sketch loosely or painting environments - which is why I started that project in the first place.

I hope this clears some things up - not that I wouldn't mind improving the comic itself, though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sieht aus als wolltest du lernen dann biste hier genau richtig
    wenn du overpaints postest solltest du auf jeden fall einen link zum original mitposten

wenn du kritik zum malprozess haben willst poste einzelne bilder und daf&#252;r nen bissel gr&#246;&#223;er au&#223;erdem:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42

hf Infinit

my sketchbook
    friends Sketchbooks:Dile_, Stine
    my flickr go there if you want to see my photography stuff

<mildly sarcastic remark that seems a little cutting at first read, but contains wisdom and is really rather funny>

Ilaekae: "I'm sick and tired of "purists" who dictate their own anal preoccupations to everybody else as the word of gods."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Right The original is here, hope the link works.

Comic (black and white)
    If not: http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/ar...8033517512.jpg

It's not an overpaint, though. I didn't use grids or anything, I eyeballed the entire thing.

Ich glaube nicht, dass man vom reinen &#220;bermalen etwas lernt - auch wenn einige das wohl als Technik benutzen um Texturen zu zeichnen usw. und ja - lernen ist ein Muss! Danke f&#252;r die Links, einige der Tutorien kenne ich schon, aber ich werde sie mir trotzdem noch mal durchlesen.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Only two suggestions I would give is to vary your angles and don't, don't, don't reuse panels unless it's absolutely necessary. It gets annoying like repeating repeating repeating a word when it's not necessary. (case and point)

- Visions

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heh, good point .

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.