Art: Looking forward to SF!!
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Looking forward to SF!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Looking forward to SF!!

Hi! I am posting here to give a bit of a peek at what I do, send out some things to think about for the workshop, and to say hello! I haven't posted here much. Especially paintings. I've posted in the photography section under the user name 'bfly' but haven't been there in a while either. I hope to add a few more hours to the day and be here more often in the future. heh..

I noticed that Ron mentioned in his recent post, that I would be posting an itinerary for the workshop. Rather than an itinerary per se, I thought I’d post a list of phrases and questions that I have posed to my students on different occasions to help me to better understand them and what they are trying to achieve, especially when they are looking to me for answers. It helps me to help them. The phrases and questions are intended to be answered by the individual for the individual, not by the individual to please the instructor. Art does not work that way, and it does show in the work. I encourage you to take the time to copy this list and fill in your own answers, whether you are coming to the workshop or not, but especially if you are. These questions may help you to gain a better understanding of yourself as an artist, and to assess what it is that you would like to gain from the instructors and the workshop overall, and in future endeavors as well hopefully. There will be a huge line-up of amazing instructors there for you in SF. It’s up to you to assimilate everything you take in and make it work for you.

The common denominator in everything around you is you.

Be aware. Be focused. Experiment. Have fun (as if I need to remind you).
    And most of all…Be in more than one place at one time. heheh..

Here’s the list. It starts off with more technical aspects, and then delves into more conceptual aspects. Also be aware as to how you answer them, and what you apply them to. Not that I want to tell you how to answer these, but you may find that your answers may not always be art-related or pertain to art necessarily. However, if the answers aren’t related to art directly, it can help your work significantly if you are aware of these things about yourself.

In regards to traditional art (but most can cross over into digital as well), how familiar are you with:
    Surfaces
    Brushes
    Paint, mineral spirits, mediums
    Composition
    Shapes and abstractions
    Value
    Color
    Application of paint
    Edges
    Write down other subjects that you may like to know more about (such as, but not limited to):
    Likeness
    Mood
    Style
    Technique
    Name 3 painters that inspire you and briefly why
    Write down your comments on/feelings about:
    The word “good” as it applies to creating
    Your opinion vs. others’ opinions
    The importance of skill/technique
    The importance of expression/voice
    The importance of foundation as it applies to creativity
    What is the #1 most often thing you talk about and briefly what about it?
    Define the word “abstract” as it applies to painting or drawing
    What does “to see” mean to you?
    What do you believe are your 3 strongest and 3 weakest attributes?
    What do you see when you blur your vision while looking at something?
    In a few words, what is your definition of “beauty” or “beautiful”?
    Who are your 3 biggest influences and briefly why?
    How would you define the word “success” or “successful”?

Here are a couple portraits with a detail of each (some with better quality than others, just got a new SLR, bear with me, I plan on having amazing quality photos of my work from here on out..in time)...

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

a few more images

and a couple more...samples of invented works...this is apparently what comes out of my head...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great vanessa, these totally ROCK!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,630 Times in 1,732 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    wow never seen those last ones
    i love red curtain one !!
    awesome work without ref
    , very nice brushwork on that mask detail
    i like the composition arrangement and
    also the cast shadow on the wall element
    present in the works on your website ,
    can read it veru well from far and i like
    the mood too ,

is cool you posting again at the forums
    good luck at SF

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are great! my favorite is the last with the hand showing. I'd really like to get into one of your painting classes in the near future. Hope all is well!

-Nate

N & B

~Sketches

Jason Manley is offline Administrator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,543 Times in 2,155 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    it has been too long van...will be great to see you. this info is appreciated...reminds me that we are all still students. thank you. The work is strong too.

j

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops 25% off registration right now!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

some more work (a couple digital pieces)

Thanks for the comments. I thought I should post because I'm going to be demo-ing and I'm not sure if anyone knows what I do really. My fault for not posting ever, I suppose. I know that I'm known for being Mrs. Ron Lemen especially around here, which is something I'm definitely proud of for sure. Being in that position, I have grown stronger and tougher and more laid back at the same time. It's a position not every artist would want to take on, that's for sure too. ha! He is an amazing artist that has really kicked my butt over the years, as I have his. He's one of the most hard-working people I know. We paint every day (digital and traditional), and when feedback is calling, we give and take it respectfully. We've known each other since we were little kids and we've always been supportive of each other in art. While we saw others drop off and not stick with it, we kept evolving, and kept supporting each other..because we knew we should stick with it, no matter how crazy it can be (nor do we want to know any different really).. It's been a great journey so far, one that we have both learned from..with and from eath other. It's so cool. This community here is so great that way. Supportive, and butt-kicking..

Anyway, I'm posting a couple digital pieces - both using Photoshop and Painter - the portrait can be found in the Ballistic publishing Painter book, and both can be found in the recent Aphrodisia book coming out soon. I don't think I'll be doing a digital demo in SF (save that for the badasses), but I do relate things back and forth a lot between traditional and digital when I'm teaching. I'll dig through my files and see what else I've got that screams at me. Any requests? Questions? Comments? ..throw 'em my way..

And thanks again for the comments. Can't wait for SF. It's gonna be awesome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The workshop is an overall take it all in experience. I hope the artists take the time to ask questions too. The list of possibilities Van wrote here is quite extensive, but take time and break down what you do and dont know about what she has mentioned and pose those questions to her, and all the other instructors at the workshop.

Part of what makes or breaks the workshop environment is the participation of everyone in the group, not just the instructors giving. Its exhausting giving and lecturing, but it makes it all rewarding when there is interaction. Van's classes are very interactive, take advantage of this and ask as much as you can with her there.

The great thing with her teaching is it trascends a technique, going timeless in the use of materials. Techniques are time driven. You will learn how to step outside of all that while embracing it....

Some of these images appear flatter than they are because of the jump from a 4 mega pixel shot to a 7 is a big difference in quality, especially when you see the subtelty her paintings have in them....photos can never really do a painting justice, especially when they have so much rich volume and texture as these canvases have.

Its still nice to see them regardless, especially since I can right click and own a copy myself...hehe

Ron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wow

All i can say is wow Vanessa badass work love your close ups shows your beautiful brush work. Please post more Enchanting work for sure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know she also forgot to mention this, but those digital images made the Painter book, in fact I believe one of them silver medalled.

I believe she also converted her website so that most all the images have a close up to click into, awesome stuff...

and I am not being biased...

Ron

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.