Sketchbook: INTO THE PRIMITIVE - ROLO's SB - VOLUME 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: INTO THE PRIMITIVE - ROLO's SB - VOLUME 2

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

INTO THE PRIMITIVE - ROLO's SB - VOLUME 2

It all started out when I was a boy, around 2 years old my mom started calling me Rolo and since then my name is Rolo. This is called into the Primitive and it means basicly what I should know and so..it means basics I guess. Well Anyways anybody who wants to know how I draw especially for beginners thinking what I thought before "How the heck do this kids my age to such awsome stuff!! I CANT DO IT!"
    well my friends no more worries cus got question I might have answers!
    SO ya... and well on some of what I do Im gonna take apicture inbetween steps so you can see how i do it and well ya..
    thats all...
    and here is some stuff
    becuase this topic is INTO THE PRIMITIVE!!
    soo that means i draw perpespective as it is part of the basics of art. well i think so..

here
    MY FIRST TRIES INTO PERSPECTIVE ALL I PUT UNDER HERE IS MY FIRST TRIES INTO PERSPECTIVE

first right up here..its upside down lol!!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Rolo; January 24th, 2007 at 05:24 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Rolo,
    It's not a great idea to advertise how young you are on the internet. Just be vague, and say something like "I'm a few years away from college," if anybody asks.

Those look like good perspective studies. Have you seen my Concept Art 101 thread? It might interest you. There's a link in my sig. . .

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok wat i will post now is what i did like 3 days ago.. after i did the boxes up there!! and well yeah this is pretty good for MY2nd try into perspective
    and ya... here it is

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here is some steps in making a gun.. from my learning in perspective.
    pretty awsome wat u learn in something as simples as horizon points to make something like this!!

(i erased part of it in this pic when i realaized something looked wrong.) so now to the next pic...

IM GOING TO FINISH IT UP MAYBE TONIGHT IF IM NOT TO TIRED!! thankls u and bye.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

that my friends is the finished gun..srry for the lateness...
    and here is my first thingie for prespective..the one for the circles

the 2nd one
    here is a car and if u want to see the step by step of how i did it tell and i post the pics (for the car one) (its my first car)
    here is a pic going back to one of the soldiers i made well..the only one i made that i posted earlier here is the same type of guy... yeah...

well i thought perspective will help me out and wat do u know it helped me out to creat this real cool bullet effect!! check out the cool bullet

Last edited by Rolo; December 16th, 2006 at 08:01 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok so now...i i post another that i did the day efore yesterday slash yesterday because i did it after a concert(scool band concert) and i fellt a bit musiky so i drew this and yeah...

(oh yeah and the guys pants are falling because mine were falling at the concert!) (lie) lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok here is one i have done srry i havnt updated in a loinnng time!!! im getting to that!! lol ive done alot of drawing though lol here is one
    my 2nd car!! yay

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You clearly spent a lot of time on the gun, and it's my favorite of your work so far. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    carmageddonstein :::::: thanks you!! my heart is filled with joy to hear that! i am so glaD! someone has said something in my sad sb!! thank u and to tell that u like the gun!! thank you i did take my tim! thank u thank u!!
    here is some stuff along time ago atleast after i did the car, and that was like 1 and a half weeks ago

yup.-..

same guy only different emotions

some wierdo that i think looks like the guy that tried to harm me in the woods.. although i couldnt see his face..(long story if u want ill tell u the story which is frankly FUNNY! aahah)

i like this one this is one im proud of..yeah,, hehe but now for the reall good ones!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

GUESS WHO
    GUESS WHO
    GUESS WHO
    GUESS WHO
    GUESS WHO
    GUESS WHO
    GUESS WHO
    GUESS WHO
    GUESS WHO
    GUESS WHO
    GUESS WHO
    GUESS WHO

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    these are still like a week old.. i havnt drawn in a long week ... srry busy..

lalala...making of...

yup thank u very much
    PLEASE CRITS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey rolo, your on the right track. its awsome how you've been disciplining yourself to work on the foundations, keep it up. your pieces prove that you have attributes of an artist, which is patience and passion.

Just draw your ass off. Whatever you do, don't -- stop -- drawing...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Dude, Rolo, calm down! You have a full book of nervous hyper message in here, there is no need really to do so, people won't notice you more or give you more
    crits / tips because you irritate em with BIG BOLD TEXT ...

however, nice to see that you are drawing fundamentals stuff, it will get you long if you keep it up

btw
    "please someone crit! im loosing inspiration here...
    help please...
    help..."

Inspiration ? Creativity ? You don't need inspiration to draw, its nice when you get it, but it is not nessesary, even when you are "out of mood" you can still draw. Do some studies, you forget about it later and start drawing something else. Stop whine rolo. Ask kind for crits instead of writing in big black bold...

~Dile

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey rolo if its inspiration your looking for i think you should watch movies to your liking. At the moment i'm being really pulled into harry potter stuff and hope one day my creative juices would make an impact just like j.k rowling's (the author) stories. Not copying the ideas of course

I can't really compare this theory to anyone else but for me, my secret is three things to strive as an artist. "Passion, Inspiration, Motivation" Draw for yourself not for the people. Don't compete with anyone, compete with yourself. Compete with your previous project, tell yourself your next project will be better than your last. What inspires you? Your still young but if you could control those three attributes you'll be a deadly artist in the end.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    and keep at it with your foundations, looks up still life drawings in charcoal and draw the boring tea cups, fruits, wine bottles with an interesting lighting and composition. Who cares if it looks like shit at first because art shouldn't have to please anyone until your working.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys,

DILE

DAmn your right!! no more big bold letters!
    Thanks for the tips!

Maerrick

Dude thanks for your explanations about not competing but with myself! that really got me thinking! I understand your point and I like it! I will follow that point and idea of me, I am proud of me, I will do better the 2nd time than the 1st if I cant Ill try again and again until I do!
    thank you! You really gave me a good point to think about.

oh yeah... can you tell me a good brand or watever or tips in charcoel soon well as soon as my dad goes up to one of those stores, I will get the charcoel!
    but ---coloring..Im not that good with that but Ill try once I get the stuff.
    and I will continue with foundations! aka Primitive stuff
    and yeah.. thanks
    guys for ur good points to knock my head back into action!

-rolo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sup rolo, any charcoal is good i wouldn't go into color at all just any type of charcoal. from charcoal pencils, to white charcoal. If i were you i would strictly stick to just black and white stuff. it doesn't hurt to invest in an easel, 18x24 field board and 18x24 of any paper of yourliking.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    where might i find these? in any store? like the arts or something stores?
    ill see in the net wat type u mean...

oh like the drawing boards! liike the stuff bob ross has.. the thing that stands and u draw on!! oh those! how much do they cost!?!
    ill go check in some more in thnet.

from wat i see they are all hight tech.. and stuff with cabinets... lemme check some more..and maybe simpler ones

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great start man

i like perspective too

i learned it with drawing cubes and cylinders in any kind if orientation i could imagine ( u can take any kind of cube for ref .. i used to hold it in front of my eyes and rotate it.. then draw)
    iv got some cubes n stuff in my sketchbook (mind matrix ).. maybe this helps to get some ideas and inspiration

u can also just take a quad [] <- ^^ and align it into perspective ( take care on foreshortening -. the secret of vanishing point is in the angles )

keep postin ur stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, long time no talk guys
    im sorry
    ive been focused on my composition and my school and alot of bar and bat mitzvah's every saturday and stuff
    so i havnt posted
    and ive also been a lazy bug
    i couldnt find any ref
    at all
    SO IF U KNOW ANY PLACE WHERE I CAN FIND PICTURES OF FACES WORTH LOOKING AT PLEASE TELL ME!! AND I NEED REFERANCES FOR MY DRAWING..i dont like to use imagination, until i know enough about faces and their charactiristics

anyways here are a couple i did not post some of these are as old as january so hope u like it and

CRITISISM IS WANTED EVEN IF U THINK U HAVE HURT MY FEELINGS DO IT
    ALL I CARE IS THAT I CAN DO BETTER THAN NOW THEY ONLY WAY IS TO HAVE EXPERIENCED PEOPLE TELL ME WAT NEEDS WORK ALTHOUGH I COULD TELL MY SELF AND I KNOW WAT I NEED TO WORK ON THAT IS NOSES EYELIDS EYELASHis LIPS HAIR
    well basicly everything
    so PLEASE CRIT

in this one i did a ref from a dentist paper thing.. it was a little booklet its called a collage or follage or idk i forgot name for little booklet but yeah that is it..not really proud there are a bunch of things i need to work on, specially lips and stuff

in this one well, if u can tell its from smallville the eyes were slanted and so i erased them but i never finished it,, this one was around january i think yeah... during smalliville i fellt like drawing her.. i think u know who it is
    and yeh the head is slanted and i had alot of shadow so it was hard to distinguish the facial features so i had to ref back to the other side of face

hehehe.. i was trying to draw a car from the nfsp game i havnt played in 2 years and a half cus my GC broke but it was my comeback after like a month or so of no drawing... here are more in the movement of drawing this car.. i had no idea where the points of perspective were.. guess pic wasnt wide enough so i guessed not so much erasing as i expected but ull see

well.. more movement

trying to figure wat i should do with random lines

doing something usefull

yay something is comin out good

...waiting for outcome

less frustration

adding tiny details

k addin details

closeup..finishing up

i think im done

Alright guys that is the car hope you liked it, donno how much it took too lazy too look
    k moven on

well after some more no drawing time i did this donno when to lazy to look at date maybe its in the pic
    k
    i tried like 5 times trying to draw him.. first bad 2nd worse 3rd horrible 4rth i did in the big sketchbook was not good and 5th was in little sketchbook which is the one u see was the best.. still not good... it looks like a baby.. i couldnt grab much detail cus it was from a tv guide cover.. and i was getting a bit frustrated.. though i kept trying although alot of erasing marks kept me changing and wasting paper. o well its in the past move on to do better thats wat i tell me self

i knew i had to keep drawing so i decided to find something fast to draw
    so i decide SHAUN connery.. then i was oh no.. pierrce brosnan.. james bond ayyaya si i did it
    tried it twice i think
    my face is messed up doesnt look like pierce but the hands and the gun are fine.. i think and his suit
    his hair took me along time and his eyebrows were the MOST DIFFICULT THING TO DO cus his eyebrows define him..(i think according to artist point of view (my view))

I KEPT ON LOOKING LOOKING AND LOOKING then i gave up couldnt find faces searched even on google searched here in the forums
    nothing
    even in face section nothing
    so i was depending on the faithful perfume papers that come in the mail..hopefully they have pics of faces of models i could use for ref.. long time then they finaly came..( we dont order them they just come in in mail so we can smell and ssee if we should buy.. the perfume things go to everybody) anyways here i tried like 5 or 6 times... wasted 4 or 5 piecees of large paper.. sad sad sad
    i think i can draw over them ill try
    ERASED ERASED ERASEd the hair i didnt get it
    i drew the hair one by one in the end but
    not neccasirily one by one i did it to my convinience i did improvising and their it came
    not neccesarily like the pic of the perfume thing but good enough to recognise is it as the thing from perfume and to like it and think this pic is the pic of a attractive lady
    k
    that is it
    so
    please help me ... tell me where i can find ref for faces FACES ... dont give me that site about lines and face shapes.. i mean model faces and stuff something worth taking time for drawing.. please help i need ref( i dont have magasins so they dont help)

thanks and after alot of typing please crit or enjoy or infact just CRIT and enjoy if u like
    thank u alot
    -rolo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh yeah by the way..
    when u tell me where to find faces.. u know wat i want for the faces but
    when u tell me
    please make it worth looking at..
    what i mean is dont.. find a palce where there is fotos of a NON actractive person

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the gun......

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolo
    please help me ... tell me where i can find ref for faces FACES ... dont give me that site about lines and face shapes.. i mean model faces and stuff something worth taking time for drawing.. please help i need ref( i dont have magasins so they dont help)
    Go outside or look in a mirror.

No, really, if you want to draw models all day you will learn nothing. The fact that you state "SHOW ME FACES WORTH LOOKING AT !!!!1111" is bullshit. When you don't know what subjects attract you yet, you're simply not ready for them. Making others give you the subjects is ripping yourself from a part of the artistic proces.

Besides, fashion photos are bad studymaterial, they are heavily edited and smudged to an extent that you can't recognise the features anymore. I would recommend using those as a ref only when you have a GOOD understanding of facial structure and anatomy.

And wtf is that attitude towards "lines and face shapes"? You are talking about getting the basics yet you are making statements such as that. your structure is horrible, to say the least. You have no feeling for the shape of a head whatsoever.

About critiques: I was reluctant myself to post here, since you show the attitude of someone who won't listen. If you want others here to help you out you have to change your writing style. No matter how old you are, there is no excuse for using overly annoying language. This is no Pr0g4m0r-forum. We want to learn here. Just imagine what this place would look like if everyone would be writing posts te same way you do. And think about that in every aspect of your actions. Would you like to read the posts you are making when they were adressed to you? Would you like to read through those piles of text? Think, then write.
    Also, there is a "critique-center" here on concept-art which is there for critiques of your works. You'll probably find more help there.

If you accept it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks!! no seriously thanks! Im so glad you mentioned that so I can improve my writing. Your right, before i read wat u wrote, I was reading loomis the heads and hands.. or something like that and i got to like page 12 and i was like, wow he is right! I need to get the structures right, and use ref when i have the structure done for sure. He writes so well! thanks faust
    i appreaciate it! really! cant wait to start in my new mood.
    -rolo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Rolo,

I would suggest drawing from real people, There is a HUGE difference between drawing from a photo and from real physical 3d objects,

When your drawing from photos, its actually pretty simple, and can be very boring, all you have to do is match up proportions based on your paper sizes, for example, you can look and see the aproximate distance between the edge of the paper and the edge of the face , then the distance between the edge of the nose and the edge of the top lip, and measure those on your paper your drawing, so its just a matter of judging measurements.

When you draw from life, you have to force yourself to really see what your looking at and figure out how to transform it onto a 2d piece of paper, you still have to judge proportions accurately, except with drawing from life you will learn better how to actually see what your looking at and draw what you see rather than what you imagine it will look like on the paper. This is hard for me to explain...

Let me suggest some books you could consider buying or borrowing from your local library:

Drawing on the Right side of the Brain by Betty Edwards

How to draw what you see by Rudy De Reyna

Figure Drawing for All It's Worth (How to draw and paint) by Andrew Loomis

Drawing the Head and Hands by Andrew Loomis (all Andrew Loomis Anatomy books are excellent)

Drawing the Head and figure by Jack Hamm

Also Check out these videos, They are 10 minute videos with alot of great information about perspective:
    http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=moatddtutorials

Try to get people you know to sit still for 5 or 10 minutes and just sketch them and try to pay close attention to the proportions of their figure or face,
    Observe things closely, really look at someones face and try to notice how things relate to each other and how the figure is constructed, what it looks like from different angles. If you have a complete understanding of the how the human figure is in 3d space its much easier to draw it. Drawing from a photo you are basically taking a real real long time to photo copy the picture, because all your doing is copying a 2d image onto your own 2d paper as an image.

here is a site with a lot of peoples images, click on the galleries:
    http://www.pbase.com/

Also go to google.com and click on the image search button and search for what your looking for you will find tons of pictures and sites with lots of pictures.

Joe.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1