Autumn Fairy I guess...
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Autumn Fairy I guess...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Autumn Fairy I guess...

Hi,
    I promised to my friend Maja that I'll color these pencils for her, so I started daubing in Painter, since I wanted a more sketchy or traditional look. I'm not very accostumed to painter so after laying down initial colors and some watery effects I switched back to PS. I know this isn't finished yet 'couse I have to polish some details, but I wanted a fresh look here since I spent last 8 hours staring at this piece I think I need to change the light on her legs, but I'm not sure how much.

And no, those aren't lens flare

Attached Images Attached Images  
    '...men must be free from
    boundaries, patterns and
    consistencies in order to be free
    to think, feel and create in new ways'
    [Sketchbook]
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the warm, glowing atmosphere you have added, and I also like the way you have done the wings. Her face turned out really nice, too.

You mentioned the light shining on her legs--it looks like her legs are painted yellow or she is wearing yellow tights. You need to let the skintone show through a little more.
    I see from the drawing that it looks like she IS wearing socks--so that is part of the confusion. I'm not sure which it is supposed to be. The fact that she has no toes showing makes me think it is socks.

best,
    emily

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think this painting is off to a great start. I like the feel, and as said earlier there's a nice warmth to it. Before you develop the painting any more, I'd rethink the placement of your trees. The ones on the bottom, I realize, are background and probably quite far away from the fairy, but it looks as though she is landing her feet on them. The foliage in the tree above her wings follows the contour of her wings a little too closely for comfort, creating an awkward tangent.
    So it comes down to your use of overlapping shapes. In the first problem, her feet overlapping the background trees is not working. However, in the second problem, you would solve it by going ahead and placing the trees behind her wings. It can be tricky explaining why one works and the other doesn't, but try it and see if it helps. Don't just barely have the tree touch her wings either, that would just be a different tangent problem. Really put some foliage behind her wings. It would create some separation that isn't there between her wings and the sky (they're equally bright).

Other issue is the wings themselves. They're full of pattern, but they're still flat. Add some form shadow the way you have on her body. I realize they're somewhat translucent, maybe with the foliage behind her wings, you can add areas on the wings that are less translucent.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Emily: Thanks for noticing the socks, I totally forgot they were there since I painted them over in the early stage! I'll sure fix that.

Mike: Wow! That was quite an analysis. Thanks! I see what you mean with the trees and foliage. I'll try to correct that, as well as work more on the background.

'...men must be free from
    boundaries, patterns and
    consistencies in order to be free
    to think, feel and create in new ways'
    [Sketchbook]

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.