Thanks

Signing Paintings?

Forgive me if i have posted this already, but i don't recall doing so. Or i just forgot

Anyways, just curious of the below things:

How do you sign a painting?

Full name, ex. Justin Beckett or J. Beckett. Or with a simples JB.

What colour should it be? This is a problem i have, i use to use black when signing but i came to realize that is the worst colour. I found out you should sign in a colour close to the ones you are painting with ex. the mood of your painting. But what if there is no mood, but lots of colours, do you choose complimentary colours?

Where do you sign it? ex. Bottom right, left... Hidden somewhere in it...

Or should you not sign your painting at all...? This is another thing i have run into, lately, i haven't even been signing my paintings. And i am planning to get some work in galleries, and i think it would be best for people to know who i am, and, when i walk in galleries i see others signed.

But, for me, i find it distracts the actual painting itself to much, so im confused...

Cheers,

~JB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    When I sign paintings (sometimes I don't), I try to make it a color which doesn't draw attention (often a repeated color from elsewhere in the painting, like choosing a mat) in a place that doesn't screw the composition. The signature should be there if somebody wants to find it, but it shouldn't stick out like an iceberg and it shouldn't take a magnifying loop and code book to decipher.

Sign whatever name you want. JB might be kinda too generic, but if you can think of a distinct way to do it, go for it. Just look at Greg Manchess' "M". I see that "M", I know right off it's a Manchess.
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    I've been using the same cheezy monogram since I was 16 and now I'm stuck with it, even though it incorporates a middle initial I don't even use .
    As for size, color, placement, I consider all of those very carefully on a case by case basis. Most of the time you want it to be relatively inconspicuous, but sometimes a well placed signature is just what's needed to balance a composition.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    I don't believe in making the signature 'part' of the work by having this overly obvious swirly text that takes up a quarter of the canvas. Keep it unobtrusive and let the art do the talking.

Full name is best, make it slightly stylised if you want, and as unobtrusive as possible in the bottom right corner in a similar colour to the overall canvas. And I think you should date it too, if not next to your signature then at least on the back... for posterity's sake.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 259 Posts
    If I sign my paintings at all, it is with a stick-figure dragon, sometimes in the form of a chop, and generally as subdued as possible. I haven’t been signing my little paintings at all, because there’s just no room for a tasteful signature. Instead, I put my name and date on the back, in case of theft, or in case the painting turns up at a yard sale and the old lady who buys it is curious.
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Totally helpful, thank you all.

Thanks
    I have been signing my paintings on the back of the canvas for the last 6 years

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    I have been signing my paintings on the back of the canvas for the last 6 years
    I did that for a few years. My gallery told me it doesn't really make a difference, some people like to see it, some like to not see it. I haven't noticed a difference since I switched. With illustration though, you often don't know if you're going to get a credit, may as well tale the initiative (if you can)
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Yeah what's up with that? It really upsets me when I can't find the name of the illustrator of a cover inside the book, it's not like it costs more to print it.

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    I usually sign in the lower right with a date. Nothing obvious. If the art really REALLY sucks, I use a six-inch brush loaded with Day-Glo Fushcia and make my signature dead center approximately 80% larger than the art...
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Cool guys...

I was wondering about signing it on the matte. Sounds good to me But for paintings unframed i guess i will just go with a colour that doesnt stand out totally.

Ilaekae: Actually, you are right, i think i will start signing all of my paintings 80 % bigger then my actual painting. Thats probably the best way. Or maybe i won't even paint a picture anymore, but just sign a whole bunch of canvases. And then, sell them!

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    I doubt that very many of your paintings require my signature idea, Justin...
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae
    I doubt that very many of your paintings require my signature idea, Justin...

Thanks man

Thanks
    lol. I thought it said "singing paintings"....
    currently playing: Kuhlau, Bach, Beethoven
    Le Order Nouveau!

Thanks
    I use a symbol - a M and W in a box. Sometimes I add "Wagner"

~M

Thanks
    What DavePalumbo said.