Wanted: Colorist for a 202-page graphic novel
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Wanted: Colorist for a 202-page graphic novel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wanted: Colorist for a 202-page graphic novel

This book is a spiritual science-fiction story already contracted for a major American publisher. The original artist slated to do the coloring on this project is unable to do the job, so we are searching for a young artist anywhere in the world willing to work hard, fast and reliably. The deadline for completing 202 pages is July 1, 2007. Pay is US $30 per page (firm). The work would start immediately.

You will be working from “pencils” in Photoshop files. You must be capable of exchanging large digital files easily. In addition to artistic capability and communication skills, the artist needs to demonstrate that he/she is (and has been) reliable in working with intense, long-term deadlines. At 202 pages, this is a major full-time commitment. Dependability is a concern for us.

For complete instructions on submitting your work, to see some sample pencils, and the method we will use to select and hire a colorist, go to this website: http://www.kk.org/coloristad/index.html

This is a serious solicitation. I am one of the book’s authors. You can find out more about myself from my home page. (I am having my assistant post this solicitation.)

In addition to this book we are also contracted for a similarly-sized sequel. If the colorist works out, there’ll be a second round of work.

-- Kevin Kelly

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello,

I’m a professional illustrator with 10 years of experience in area. My technique is a mix of drawing, oil and watercolor painting adding to photo edition and image vetorizing. The entire process is "virtual", since the sketch until the finishing I just use the PC. I draw and paint using a tablet and in some cases add image clippings, as tire or a lantern in a car; a building or a vase of flowers in the scene; a mouth or a eye in a face, for example. My work is 100% original! I work with Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Idesing and Corel Draw. Besides I have a team that works with me at my studio can give me support, when necessary.
    I offer my services and my team for what you and your company need.

You can see a sample of my process of work, step by step were:
    http://www.quinquestudios.com/siteingl/tutorialmj01.htm

Visit my personal portfolio at my studio website:
    http://www.quinquestudios.com/siteingl/galmj.htm

Or
    http://www.quinquestudios.com

And in Deviant Art:
    http://mjmacedo2099.deviantart.com/

Soon we will be upgrading our site, with new features, illustrations, jobs and resources.

Thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Ke vin !!
    My name is Juan Manuel Rodriguez
    I'm from Buenos Aires. I'm a Freelance Professional Graphic Designer , Ilustrator& Colorist
    Im really interested in this work, the art is fantastic, really I am motivated.

Here my references
    I have a experience in the market of 8 years
    I'm worked for Image Comics (color area, nobles causes), kevin grevioux's Astounding
    studios(cover colors), Digital Webbing Presents(Zoombie Highway, cover color)
    number 01 02 03, Color Work for the Artist Ariel Olivetty(Space Ghost) LINX STUDIOS as a Colorist

Thanks!!

Please, see some samples of diferents styles of Color Art

http://juanmarstudio.blogspot.com/

juanmar74@yahoo.com.ar

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Please visit my SEQUENTIALS at the Gallery of

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=573 GALLERY LINK
    http://comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=2577 COLOR COVER/POSTER/PINUPS
    http://comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=2804 SEQUENTIAL ARTS
    http://comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=1250 MORE SEQUENTIALS
    http://comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=6897 INK JOBS
    http://comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=1260 MASTERPIECES/SKETCHES
    http://comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=1587 CHARACTER DESIGNS
    http://comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=1268 ANIME/MANGA

I find your rate very favorable and fair, but just incase you need extra services, check my rates below..

My offered rate of 20$ per page is only for pencil. but if you want me to ink the page if you like my inking based from what you see in my gallery, ink per page would cost an additional 15$ per page. as for full color, i'm giving you my best rate offer of $60 per page of all pencil, ink and color. i accept upfront pay because i also use the payment for the materials i'll be using, say paper, tracing papers and inks. We may also discuss installment: say, payment every week for every 2-4 pages. I'm open to terms that could be discussed. since i'm from Philippines, my clients from there in US pay me through Western Union, that would be the easiest way. we do not have access of paypal here in my country. you can inquire to the nearest western union branch near you. as to the finished product, as a freelancer, i usually email the file of the arts with the attachments, i can send you the file in its max resolution for quality printing.

if you are interested for us to get started right away, send scripts and work details and here's my address you can use to transfer the payment through western:

MARCELINO A. BALAO III
    #43-B CAGGAY INTERIOR, TUGUEGARAO CITY, CAGAYAN
    PHILIPPINES 3500

and for me to receive the payment or remittance from here, just give me your full name, address, the 10 digit control number or pin from Western union there, and the amount you sent. This is just a quick intructions and info that you'll need regarding your questions.

do not worry about my capacity and if i can be trusted. i've been working as a freelance comic artist for over a year now and i am very punctual with deadlines and especially with the quality of my output.

I look forward to working with you soon. I really hope that my art style would totaly suite you story. thanks a lot...

just let me know your thoughts, I am open to negotiations!

Thank you so much. Hoping for you favorable response.

Sincerely,
    BALAO, MARCELINO III AQUINO

please email me at marcelinoiii_balao@yahoo.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello Kevin, I sent you an email trough your forum profile.

You can contact me at shizaaba@hotmail.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face If you're still looking

I'd be interested in coloring the book! Here is my most recent comic colored pic:

You can also visit http://artisticwit.deviantart.com/
    My portfolio website gallery is down but will be up again soon.
    Thanks!
    ~Chris

J. Christopher Schmidt
    Comic Book Artist / Illustrator
    www.artisticschmidt.net

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was interested, but reading from your link it's more like a competition for the 3 artists you choose to do a test page which i believe isn't a fair way to decide on your artist.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Agreed with you Tainted, this is not worth for try

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i agree with tainted. most artists already have an online gallery where clients can go to see samples, and pencil tests are usually only done at larger studios where they plan to hire you for years and years. and even then, they never ask you do something that is directly related to anything they're doing (copyright and intellectual property reasons - since you're not an employee yet, you can end up suing them if they use something that is similar to what you created).

Anyway, if Camillec were to raise the prices a bit to $245 per page for fully colored, inked, nonexclusive terms, and hired me from looking at my sample work, then I'd be interested.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just eat and hug.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It seems they are only hiring for a colorist. And before becoming a "professional" colorist for a big comic book company (for example) you would be given sample art and a color key and you would have to color it as much as you can within a certain period of time. I think that the top three artists doing one page is not much to ask. Besides, Wouldn't you personally want to insure that you picked the person that fit the project the best?

J. Christopher Schmidt
    Comic Book Artist / Illustrator
    www.artisticschmidt.net

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Exactly, art tests are common and they are not being very greedy about it. It's one thing to do the math on a job ad but if you don't like the terms, don't start polluting the threads. There are other artists who might very happy to get the job.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wasn't trying to pollute this job thread. I know test pages are a good way to ensure the artist is able, but i think its better to conduct tests 1 artist at a time rather than make 3 compete for it and automatically letting 2 down. Sure it may save the employer time but at the expense of the unchosen 2.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Since you ask for my long term commitment with clients, may I give you an email address of a good client of mine that I'm still working with till now. we have already completed 2 books (Gnosis- Episodes 1,2,3 and 4), we are working for 2 years now. I'm his sequential artist/penciler/inker, I also do grayscale tone and full digicolor for him.. Here's his address, please don't hesitate to contact him.. name is Bob Campbell from there in Delaware. bob@shantideva.net

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think they may use the choosing method they want, in order to pick the best artist. I also agree in that the test pages should not be related to the job at all.
    Sample pages provided are awesome, and it would be a really nice job to do, but I think the payment is very low for the high quality they are aiming for as seen in those samples.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Response

I'm your woman for the job Kevin, just check out my site.

JLPastecchi
    www.theartofpastecchi.com
    JLP@theartofpastecchi.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi guys. My first post in here. Let me begin by saying that all of you are probably in much higher level above me, so needless to say I feel like I don't belong in here. However, the enthusiasm of some of you in wanting this job is really what prompted me to question. Did you all read the finishing date? It's July 1st. And this is no teenage boy webcomic, it's a 202 pages mother. And it looks as though they want detailed, fully painted pages, nothing short of a graphic novel. Now I can't paint to save my life, I know all of you can. But please, indulge me. The third-world wage aside, are you all confortable with the idea of churning out such impressive looking paintings (as seen on those pages) at the rate of 1.5 pages a day, 7 days a week? Because according to my calculation, that's the momentum you need to sustain to meet the July 1st deadline. Unless the quality can be compromised, I personally don't see how that can be done. Still, that's me talking with my limited art skill. Perhaps you folks see differently. If so, I'd like to know how many of us can finish pages like those within a day. Thanks.

Strategem is offline Isn't allowed around zippers Level 1 Gladiator: Andabatae
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's a good point henshin, but then again, the pencils are already done. no worrying about composition or producing linework first. even with a painterly style, a person could feasably finish a very professional page in a matter of a few hours, and for the really good ones, maybe just 2.

I don't think I could do it though, I have college classes.

Members who have read this thread: 1