Sketchbook: Graphite To Paper, Dust To Dust (Golgari's Sketch Dump)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Graphite To Paper, Dust To Dust (Golgari's Sketch Dump)

Hello...
    ...and welcome to another rookie-sketch-dump
    I've been browsing these forums randomly from time to time for quite a while now, but i only recently discovered the threads from beginners (most noteably mindcandyman) who were happily welcomed here, got great comments and consequently evolved a great deal in drawing...
    So that's what made me try to open up a thread for myself.
    Please let me know your thoughts about my sketches...

this is from yesterday, a sketch of my puppet:

this is the stuff i finished today...my hand, a little scene from our garden (a chair, the stick for one of those big sun umbrellas...and yeah, you could guess that table in front of them, too)...and my parents - drawn while watching the tv... (not me - them!) i think something's wrong with my father's chin ...but i can't seem to really find out what it is...hrmm...

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today I drew a little bit during a free hour in school...managed to sketch a girl who was doing her homework nearby... plus, i tried to sketch my anatomy puppet once again when i came home. Lastly, i also did some quick sketches of my mother's legs, while she was working...comments?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    golgari, good start and: welcome aboard!

Generally I'd say: watch out for your hatching, which mostly looks too rushed and placed randomly (for example in the drawing of your hand, which has also proportion and foreshortening problems). I like the hatching on your drawing of the manikin. The drawing of the legs shows that generally you've got a good grasp of shapes and forms and volume. I don't know your parents but I got the impression that you managed to achieve some likeness. Carry on!

:p

Jester

Imagination is intelligence having fun!

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your drawings as well. But be aware of that hairy line. make big long strokes, and always think of form and shape. welcome aboard, and keep up the practice.

-http://iwasink.com/-
    DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    There is nothing wrong with using a photo to help you see things.
    No one complains about life drawing,
    so take a photo.
    its easy, and will improve your piece greatly."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is what I did today...tried to sketch my hand once again and then tried to sketch down a corner of my room...got a little demotivated while doing it, though...i originally wanted to sketch down the shirts that were hanging above the clothing-box, too, but stopped it then. i'm not sooo happy about the blanket and the folded tracksuit on top of the box, but oh well...

jester: thank you
    yeah, you're right...when i'm sketching my hand, i'm often too hasty. i think it makes me a little bit uncomfortable that i can only work with one hand and not move the other and such.

i.was.ink: thanks. yeah, i know that hairy line is a problem. i'll try to improve a little bit here, but i mostly hope that with practice, i'll manage to get my lines clearer

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    didn't have much time on my hands today. tomorrow i've got my theoretical test for getting my driver's license... (don't know how this is handled in all the other countries, but in germany getting your driver's license is consuming lots of time and money, and you've got to make a theoretical and a practical test...so...yeah )
    anyways, i at least did another sketch of my hand today. tried to listen to what jester said and did not do this so hasty - i took a lot of time to do it and tried to hatch everything controlledly. also, i tried to put a little bit attention on not making so hairy lines, but i realized that i haven't got enough practice yet to directly transfer shapes from my eye to the paper, i always have to compare what i've got down on the paper and what i see...so i have to draw small lines to see if i'm going into the right direction, then continue...but i'm giving my best to shut that down.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great job golgari keep it up. Be sure to keep the reflected light in mind while doing things like your hand, etc... Great job man I see improvement just in these posts.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here we go again.
    after reading a bit about gesture drawing, i tried to do some rough sketches of people's poses...
    then i tried to draw a little tree that's standing on our veranda...had some problems with simplifying the leaves though - didn't know really how to do it...first i just drew the contour line of the tree, but this wasn't the real deal, so i overdrew it with hatches to imply where the darker and where the lighter areas of that little tree are. it turned out okay, but it didn't really look like the tree in the end, since it didn't have that fizzy, chaotic little-leave feeling to it. anyone have any advices on how to draw that kind of stuff without sitting there for days and copying leaf by leaf?
    finally, i drew my own face today. turned out not too bad, i think, although something bothers me about the nose. can't really tell what it is though. i think the nose was also about the hardest part to draw...the shadows there just merge in each other so fluently...hrmm.
    what do you say? any advices? especially anything about that gesture drawing would be really helpful, since i'm just starting out there...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    golgari - much improvement with the drawing of your hand. Now try to remember to do only light lines where the light comes from and dark/more pronounced lines where the shadows are. How was the theoretical driving test?

The gestures look rather like scribbles to me. Gestures are way more reduced and can consist of as few as three lines or so (you can browse my sketchbook, I did loads in a threatre in March).

The Bonsai looks quite good, perhaps you should have centered the tree more.

As for noses: less is more, usually. Go to the self portrait of the day thread and just study what is done there. Good idea to drop a spod there daily. I did some 70 or so from September for January and only gave up for lack of time.

Jester

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also with noses...if the light is coming from above...the darkest dark should be in the nostrils...no other values should come close to the darkness there because it is very difficult for light to get in there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the comments, jester and mindcandyman.
    i passed my theoretical driving test successfully, which is quite a relievement. i still have to learn a lot practically, though
    jester... i browsed your sketchbook for those gesture drawings - yours are veery reduced, but i think i get the point.

i tried to draw my face again today, this time from a different angle...was a little bit more difficult this way since just keeping the head straight is much easier than keeping it always in the same angle. i think it's not too bad, though. i'm more satisfied with the nose this time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    golgari, your portrait is good but next time try to contrast more the shapes. Looks your drawing of the closed hand. It is volumetric, it has energy and power.

"Mistakes are the portals of Discovery" (James Joyce)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks cashmere...yeah, i'll definately try to be working in a range of contrasts. have to remind myself of that all the time, though

ah, finally weekend. time's always rushing away so fast...the weekends offer at least a little bit of a rest... today i did another portrait - on which i worked really a long long time today. then i did some sketches of my mother. she was reading a book and unconsciously changing her position about every 2 minutes, so that was a good exercise to set up some quick sketches
    lastly, i tried again to do a little bit gesture drawing (i also read some advices in the internet on how to do gesture drawing today). i think they're still a little bit too stiff, but they're going in the right direction, don't you think?

(edit: whoops, totally forgot to post the pics )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, golgari, you are in the right direction, now your portrait is more plastic. Next step: more details on the hair.

"Mistakes are the portals of Discovery" (James Joyce)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    perhaps will you find interesting things here... http://www.fineart.sk/
    I didn't look in all this one, but it seems there are usefull pics....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks behemot...i already knew that they have some loomis-books online over there, but i wasn't aware that they have anatomy references, too...

cashmere: yeah, you're right, i tend to lessen the details on the "outer rims" (hair, ears, neck)...that's just because i think it's of lesser importance in this case. but yeah, probably the logical next step would be to get the hair more detailled...

today, though, i wanted to do something else.
    i was a little bit unsatisfied with the amount of time i spent on my last portrait, and today i wanted to try to do everything a little more loose. today my portrait took a lot less time, and i'm pretty happy with how it turned out. of course the linework and stuff is not as detailled, but i think i get the impression of my face across pretty well.
    i also did another portrait later, which was even faster, very quick. therefore it was possible for me to draw myself in a pose which i normally don't, since it's not very comfortable to keep in that pose for a long time...
    and i did some sketches...particularly my father happily munching away some cassis-ice-liquor-mix, out of a bowl =)
    comments?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The expression on that second self portrait is really great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks mindcandyman...i'm pretty happy with how it turned out, too, especially since i created it in a pretty impulsive act, too

today i drew another selfportrait, using the same approach as i did on the last two (instead of slowly advancing from one shape to the next, i first roughly drew all the shapes, then roughly sketched in the darkest areas and then slowly started to go over them again, making them more detailled and accurate. i think i like it better this way, you're not hangling yourself from one shape to the next, you have a rough basis underneath...i think i'll stick to this for now ), but this time i worked for a longer time on it, making it more detailled.
    strangely i unconsciously took the same pose as for my last portrait. i hadn't looked at that last one since yesterday and when i scanned in the one i did today, i was quite baffled. anyways, seems like i prefer certain poses over others.
    i also need to improve my drawing from imagination, i'm really bad concerning that, so i started drawing some mannequins, loomis-style (i read the first few pages of loomis' "figure drawing for all it's worth") on the weekend. i'm trying to get comfortable with the proportions and to bend the legs and stuff. it's all still pretty hard work, though.
    what do you think of it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh well. today wasn't the best day for drawing, since i had a lot to do. i want more time for myself. damn school and driving lessons...anyway, i at least had my art course in school today, so i was able to draw there
    my teacher had carried a copy of a roman bust with her ("apollon"), and we could draw it. i chose a sideview-drawing, since i really have very little experience in drawing heads like that and i cannot draw myself in that pose (since i cannot see myself in the mirror when i don't look into it )
    so here it is...please tell me what you think about it...

by the way...i'm still struggling a lot with concept-drawings of the human figure - it's so hard to make a transition of that mannequin figure into 3-dimensional movement right out of my head. if you have any advices on that...pleeease let me know

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hm. this is strange. i drew yesterday, and i was sure i posted it...but somehow it doesn't show up...so i guess i'll have to repost it - here it is, some sketches with that loomis-mannequin, and another self-portrait.
    after having done portraits half-profile and now also a full-profile drawing of that apollon-head, i decided to go back to an en-face-portrait once again...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    and here is what i drew today.
    some sketches and gestures today at school, plus another selfportrait, this time with a stronger emphasizing on the neck. you can imagine that that pose was quite strange to keep while drawing
    comments?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    golgari, when doing your self portraits you tend to draw the back of your head too high and pronounced. Also, mostly your eyes look much too large. Try to draw a basic egg shape first, then the middle line and the lines where the eyes align. The middle of your eyes align with the ends of your mouth (vertically). The lower part of your ear should be app. where the tip of your nose is. Try to measure all this constantly and see how the guidelines have to move when you are turning your head.

Good job on your figure studies!

Jester

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the comment, jester
    i just started wondering if anyone is reading this anymore at all...
    you're right, i wonder everytime i look at my pictures if the back of my head is really that high, too...the strange thing is, i "measure" it (using my pencil to make comparisions...) and it is really like that. i assume, though, that i measure the back of the head at a different angle than at what i draw the rest of my face or something like that. can't think of any other reasonable explanation for it...
    the eyes, yeah, you're totally right. it was the main-flaw that i noticed in that last portrait of mine, i drew them way too big...
    when drawing, i tend to look in the mirror in a way in which my lips are pretty...uhhm...stiff? anyway, they're not the biggest then. but they do indeed look a little too small in some pictures. i'll have to watch out for this a little more.
    i think i'll have to get a little more into putting down construction lines while lifedrawing, in order a better feel for all the relations and proportions...i'll try to

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this one explain proportions of a headhttp://www.anticz.com/heads2.htm
    and here kchen put some very good pics for head construction
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...&threadid=1432
    i think his pictures are very usefull.
    The most important is to know proportions and volumes in my opinion.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The gestural sketches are looking nice I also like the guy reading... the only thing that looks a little odd is that it looks like you're wanting him to be leaning his elbows on his knees, and he looks a bit too stiff to be in that pose. I could be wrong, he might not be leaning at all, but then I think he might be very uncomfortable holding the book like that (i hope that made sense!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the comments, guys...
    yeah, buffaloe, you're right, i messed that up a bit. actually, he's not wanting to put his elbows on his knees, but instead sitting there much more relaxed...i drew his lower back and his legs wrong, they are too close to the arms...oh well

i was away over the weekend, that's why i didn't post anything. i drew, anyway, though, and here are the results...
    first, some sketches from friday

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    these are from saturday...worked a lot with the mannequin... i'm quite happy with these, i think i'm sloooooowly starting to get a feeling for handling these

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    and this one's from today, another selfportrait...
    rather roughly drawn, didn't pay much attention to my way of stroking this time

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you need to understand every "body/piece/mass/shape/whatever" of your subject as a 3D volume.

try to imagine its volume and not only to draw its outlines.... i dont know if this advise will be helpfull to you.... it would have saved me from a long time of frustrating drawings

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am noticing a trend in all your mannequins...the lower body is very short compared to the upper body...remember that pelvic bone is the halfway point on the body so the lower half will be just as long as the upper body. That new self portrait is much much better...great work.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1