Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Graphite To Paper, Dust To Dust (Golgari's Sketch Dump)

Thanks

Graphite To Paper, Dust To Dust (Golgari's Sketch Dump)

Hello...
    ...and welcome to another rookie-sketch-dump
    I've been browsing these forums randomly from time to time for quite a while now, but i only recently discovered the threads from beginners (most noteably mindcandyman) who were happily welcomed here, got great comments and consequently evolved a great deal in drawing...
    So that's what made me try to open up a thread for myself.
    Please let me know your thoughts about my sketches...

this is from yesterday, a sketch of my puppet:

this is the stuff i finished today...my hand, a little scene from our garden (a chair, the stick for one of those big sun umbrellas...and yeah, you could guess that table in front of them, too)...and my parents - drawn while watching the tv... (not me - them!) i think something's wrong with my father's chin ...but i can't seem to really find out what it is...hrmm...

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Today I drew a little bit during a free hour in school...managed to sketch a girl who was doing her homework nearby... plus, i tried to sketch my anatomy puppet once again when i came home. Lastly, i also did some quick sketches of my mother's legs, while she was working...comments?

Thanks
    golgari, good start and: welcome aboard!

Generally I'd say: watch out for your hatching, which mostly looks too rushed and placed randomly (for example in the drawing of your hand, which has also proportion and foreshortening problems). I like the hatching on your drawing of the manikin. The drawing of the legs shows that generally you've got a good grasp of shapes and forms and volume. I don't know your parents but I got the impression that you managed to achieve some likeness. Carry on!

:p

Jester
    Imagination is intelligence having fun!

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

Thanks
    I like your drawings as well. But be aware of that hairy line. make big long strokes, and always think of form and shape. welcome aboard, and keep up the practice.

-http://iwasink.com/-
    DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    There is nothing wrong with using a photo to help you see things.
    No one complains about life drawing,
    so take a photo.
    its easy, and will improve your piece greatly."

Thanks
    This is what I did today...tried to sketch my hand once again and then tried to sketch down a corner of my room...got a little demotivated while doing it, though...i originally wanted to sketch down the shirts that were hanging above the clothing-box, too, but stopped it then. i'm not sooo happy about the blanket and the folded tracksuit on top of the box, but oh well...

jester: thank you
    yeah, you're right...when i'm sketching my hand, i'm often too hasty. i think it makes me a little bit uncomfortable that i can only work with one hand and not move the other and such.

i.was.ink: thanks. yeah, i know that hairy line is a problem. i'll try to improve a little bit here, but i mostly hope that with practice, i'll manage to get my lines clearer

Thanks
    didn't have much time on my hands today. tomorrow i've got my theoretical test for getting my driver's license... (don't know how this is handled in all the other countries, but in germany getting your driver's license is consuming lots of time and money, and you've got to make a theoretical and a practical test...so...yeah )
    anyways, i at least did another sketch of my hand today. tried to listen to what jester said and did not do this so hasty - i took a lot of time to do it and tried to hatch everything controlledly. also, i tried to put a little bit attention on not making so hairy lines, but i realized that i haven't got enough practice yet to directly transfer shapes from my eye to the paper, i always have to compare what i've got down on the paper and what i see...so i have to draw small lines to see if i'm going into the right direction, then continue...but i'm giving my best to shut that down.

Thanks
    Great job golgari keep it up. Be sure to keep the reflected light in mind while doing things like your hand, etc... Great job man I see improvement just in these posts.

Thanks
    here we go again.
    after reading a bit about gesture drawing, i tried to do some rough sketches of people's poses...
    then i tried to draw a little tree that's standing on our veranda...had some problems with simplifying the leaves though - didn't know really how to do it...first i just drew the contour line of the tree, but this wasn't the real deal, so i overdrew it with hatches to imply where the darker and where the lighter areas of that little tree are. it turned out okay, but it didn't really look like the tree in the end, since it didn't have that fizzy, chaotic little-leave feeling to it. anyone have any advices on how to draw that kind of stuff without sitting there for days and copying leaf by leaf?
    finally, i drew my own face today. turned out not too bad, i think, although something bothers me about the nose. can't really tell what it is though. i think the nose was also about the hardest part to draw...the shadows there just merge in each other so fluently...hrmm.
    what do you say? any advices? especially anything about that gesture drawing would be really helpful, since i'm just starting out there...

Thanks
    golgari - much improvement with the drawing of your hand. Now try to remember to do only light lines where the light comes from and dark/more pronounced lines where the shadows are. How was the theoretical driving test?

The gestures look rather like scribbles to me. Gestures are way more reduced and can consist of as few as three lines or so (you can browse my sketchbook, I did loads in a threatre in March).

The Bonsai looks quite good, perhaps you should have centered the tree more.

As for noses: less is more, usually. Go to the self portrait of the day thread and just study what is done there. Good idea to drop a spod there daily. I did some 70 or so from September for January and only gave up for lack of time.

Jester
    Imagination is intelligence having fun!

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

Thanks
    Also with noses...if the light is coming from above...the darkest dark should be in the nostrils...no other values should come close to the darkness there because it is very difficult for light to get in there.

Thanks
    thanks for the comments, jester and mindcandyman.
    i passed my theoretical driving test successfully, which is quite a relievement. i still have to learn a lot practically, though
    jester... i browsed your sketchbook for those gesture drawings - yours are veery reduced, but i think i get the point.

i tried to draw my face again today, this time from a different angle...was a little bit more difficult this way since just keeping the head straight is much easier than keeping it always in the same angle. i think it's not too bad, though. i'm more satisfied with the nose this time.

Thanks
    golgari, your portrait is good but next time try to contrast more the shapes. Looks your drawing of the closed hand. It is volumetric, it has energy and power.

"Mistakes are the portals of Discovery" (James Joyce)

Thanks
    thanks cashmere...yeah, i'll definately try to be working in a range of contrasts. have to remind myself of that all the time, though

ah, finally weekend. time's always rushing away so fast...the weekends offer at least a little bit of a rest... today i did another portrait - on which i worked really a long long time today. then i did some sketches of my mother. she was reading a book and unconsciously changing her position about every 2 minutes, so that was a good exercise to set up some quick sketches
    lastly, i tried again to do a little bit gesture drawing (i also read some advices in the internet on how to do gesture drawing today). i think they're still a little bit too stiff, but they're going in the right direction, don't you think?

(edit: whoops, totally forgot to post the pics )

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast