Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 753 Posts
    Fantastic progress. Doing them with traditional media like oil paint or acrylics requires extra patience so it will be very profitable journey.
    Keep exploring

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Midgard Serpent, how are you? Are you still painting? Did you find Hawthorne? I've started a thread on painting and color. Take a look and let me know what you think. I'm very excited about the painting courses I've designed for the new concept art diploma at Max the Mutt, and even more about my own work! I have new brushes, which is always exciting.

You mention wanting to try a different palette. I suggest using primary colors, at least one warm and one cool of each, plus ochre. The colors we start students with are: ultrmarine blue, prussian (or pthalo) blue, cobalt blue and cereulean blue, cad red light, medium and dark, alizarin crimson, cad yellow light and medium(be sure the medium is warm- some brands make it too cool), yellow ochre, and white. Titanium white is a good white but can make color look chalky. Since you paint in acrylic, and I haven't touched acrylic in years, I'm sure you know more about mediums etc. than I do.Here's to productive studio time and lots of painting for all of us who care about it...and many thanks to so many of you younger people on concept art for renewing my faith in the future.

PS I've had a good rest and am feeling energetic and inspired.

Thanks
    Guys, I'm just going to put up some work in progress of my latest self-portrait right now, I'll respond to your comments tomorrow because I have to go offline soon.

31 A+B
    Selfportraits by MidgardSerpent

31 C+D

Last edited by MidgardSerpent; December 23rd, 2007 at 04:25 PM.
    My Self-Portraits

"Work for your self first. You can paint best the things you like or the things you hate. You cannot paint well when indifferent.
    Express a mental opinion about something you are sensitive to in life around you. There is a profound difference between sensitivity and sentimentality."

~ John Sloan Gist of Art

Thanks
    Hi Midgard! I keep telling people to look at this thread. I haven't said anything about this painting because you have found your own way of working - and it's working, so lets just see how the painting progresses. How do you get the photos of your work onto the thread? Anyone reading this who can tell me how - thanks in advance.

Thanks
    It's been awhile.... a little update. Still haven't finished this one because I've been working on and off on it.

Last edited by MidgardSerpent; September 26th, 2007 at 04:53 PM.
    My Self-Portraits

"Work for your self first. You can paint best the things you like or the things you hate. You cannot paint well when indifferent.
    Express a mental opinion about something you are sensitive to in life around you. There is a profound difference between sensitivity and sentimentality."

~ John Sloan Gist of Art

Thanks
    Well done! The hand and the foot both have quality. I've been very busy and then on vacation. Went to NYC and visited some of my favorite paintings.How are you? I'm not painting as much as I want to but feel I'm on the road back.

Just one bit of observation: Watch out that the overlap in the feet is clear...and be aware that the front foot is in danger of coming forward in the picture plane....

Last edited by Maxine Schacker; July 4th, 2007 at 08:48 PM.

Thanks
    I really like 10 and 12 alot. Great work!

Thanks
    Midgard, are you ok? Just busy?

Thanks
    31 E+F

Pardon the 'black spots' on the bottom of the painting, they're actually a bit of armchair, it's very hard to make proper photo's of paintings so I pick the best photo of the bunch and those were these ones.
    I use selfportraits as a way to study, so I tried to sneak in still-life and figure painting in this painting, just to switch things up from the usual 3/4 face selfportrait. I tried to use the composition to lead the viewer's eye to the most important part of the painting, it isn't exactly subtle, but I think it kind of works, it was the underlying structure to build the painting on. Hard to get me full-length on paper (I prefer life-sized painting), even sitting down it was kind of cramped on the paper, although the bottom was a bit cropped in the photograph.

Took way, way, way too long with this one, became very contrived, I just couldn't pull myself away from it for some reason. I also feel the closeup of the bottom makes for a better picture than the whole painting. I also think the proportions are off, I'm 6'1 (185 cm) and weigh about 183 pounds (83 kg), pretty sure that doesn't really add up in the picture. The legs are too short and the feet too small probably.

I usually try to react to a painting by remembering what I didn't like or felt needed to change when I make another painting. In this case it was overdoing things, so I did a speedpaint of 4.5 hours recently without worrying so much, I'll post it up later.

And it's great to see a bunch of new people start selfportraits threads!

Last edited by MidgardSerpent; December 23rd, 2007 at 04:27 PM.
    My Self-Portraits

~ John Sloan Gist of Art

Thanks

And here's the speedpaint. Too much chin and the dark red at my neck is too strong, pretty bothersome. My left shoulder and deltoid are too bulky too, makes me look big bigger than I actually am.

Last edited by MidgardSerpent; April 2nd, 2008 at 01:03 PM.
    My Self-Portraits

~ John Sloan Gist of Art

Thanks
    Excellent paintings, man. Great expressions. I have to say though, the one with the lamp--fantastic all around, the red blinds really do it for me.

Thanks
    gorgeous!! i like your work! your use of color is quite nice. it seems to get a little muddy at times, but it still works. very nice!!

jon

MY CPU IS A NEURO-NET PROCESSOR - A LEARNING COMPUTER.

Thanks
    Thanks for the kind comments, guys. Lately I've been more in the mood for still lives, so it'll probably take awhile when I get to another selfportrait. As a matter of fact I'm working on one right now (still live, that is).

My Self-Portraits

~ John Sloan Gist of Art

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.