Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Selfportraits by MidgardSerpent

Thanks

Selfportraits by MidgardSerpent

Hey, I just discovered this subsection of the forum.
    I usually lurk in the finished work section. So I thought I'd post some self portraits I did over the last year and a half, the oldest first and the newest last. I know the first two look more polished than the rest, due in some part because I was working on them in the summer vacation, so I had lots of time to polish things. I'll be mostly putting up stuff that's somewhat worth posting.

I'm really interested in any opinions or critique.

1+2
    My first two self-portraits, November 2004.

3+4
    14th November.

5+6

7+8

9+10

11+12

My first painted selfportrait. Ooh, this is bad. Hard to stomache.

Still in my glasses wearing days. I still wear glasses, but nowadays I do mostly self portrait when I have my contacts in, because glasses cover up a big part of your face.

I think the face isn't that good, so I tried to repaint the face recently and I royally F*cked it up making it even worse. But I'm pretty happy with the rest of the painting. I think it was the longest Sp I ever did. Also the first one where I tried to work at that size.

Last one of the summer vacation.

These are okay, but not really memorable.

Now we're getting to the self portraits that were more recently done. Happy with it at the time, but afterwards I noticed some glaring flaws, like the angle of the nose and one of my eyes being annoyingly 'droopy'.

This was done as a reaction to the self portrait above. I worked so long on that one and after awhile I just messed it up, so I decided to do a quicker one (although it eventually took longer as usual). This was the result.

Last edited by MidgardSerpent; September 4th, 2008 at 05:27 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    New one. 2 canvas boards, originally 80x120 cm, but I cropped off the left part because it was just dead space. And yeah, the shoulders are too broad.

Close up
    Last edited by MidgardSerpent; December 23rd, 2007 at 04:24 PM.

Thanks
    This was just supposed to be a rough pencil outline to paint from, but it turned out a bit more elaborate. I was doubting wether I should paint it, because I liked how it looked and I was afraid I was going to ruin it, but I didn't want fear to stop me from doing something. So, I'm busy painting it now.

Thanks
    Nice work serpent boy. No need to lurk any longer.

Love your colour use.

However, in the last 2 you do seem to be flattening the face somewhat. I'm not sure if that's a side effect of the input technique. But the last couple seem squewed... a little ... I think...

Rob
    Brutal crits for today,
    regrets for tomorrow

Thanks
    Nice works
    I really like the blue-ish tint one.

Thanks
    Those are very good, I really like em! Incredible dedication too!

Thanks
    @ RobHughes: Thanks, I actually consider myself pretty weak in color, but it's a lot easier when you have your surrounding to interpret colors from.

I'm not sure if I understand your comment about the flattening of the faces though, because the last two don't really seem flatter in the faces to me than the rest of the portraits.

@ Candra: Thank you, I tried to do something more vivid with color than I would usually do.

@ v0rbiss: I really appreciate you saying that, since I'm generally a lazy person, unless I'm passionate about something.
    Last edited by MidgardSerpent; March 9th, 2007 at 07:09 PM.
    My Self-Portraits

"Work for your self first. You can paint best the things you like or the things you hate. You cannot paint well when indifferent.
    Express a mental opinion about something you are sensitive to in life around you. There is a profound difference between sensitivity and sentimentality."

~ John Sloan Gist of Art

Thanks
    Well done. I like these traditionals more than most of the digitals.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazart
    Well done. I like these traditionals more than most of the digitals.
    I wouldn't mind doing some digital work, I kind of like the idea of taking a few steps back when neccesarily. But I already spend too much time behind the computer as it is.

29 A

29 B
    The paintover.

29 C
    And here's the finished result. Well, it wasn't really finished at that point actually, in later versions I corrected some things like the floating eye and added more detail to the hand and such but I managed to really painted the life out of it, so this is the pre-disaster version although it has faults like an iffy head/body-ratio, neck problems, etc. I also turned it to b/w because I didn't really like the colors anymore.

I've already lingered way too long on this one, and the only result has been that it's become more and more convoluted so I'm probably going to start a new self-portrait today and stop with this one.
    My Self-Portraits

"Work for your self first. You can paint best the things you like or the things you hate. You cannot paint well when indifferent.
    Express a mental opinion about something you are sensitive to in life around you. There is a profound difference between sensitivity and sentimentality."

~ John Sloan Gist of Art

Thanks
    WoW! My favourite is the one in post 2, I really think you got the skintones nice. Keep on drawing anybody can see you've developed a lot since the first post!

Thanks
    Three of us looked at your work today. Two of us are painters, and the third is a character designer.You've grown so much and have a real feeling for paint. What else are you painting? Are you familiar with "Hawthorne on Painting?" It's published by Dover and is a treasure. In another age there is no doubt that you would have been a fine artist all the way. Hats off from all of us.

Thanks
    Some excellent pictures. There is a real sense of development through your works from the first to the last, as if your experience is paying off.

Nice painterly touches and good use of colour and texture.

Thanks
    @ Sarcophagus: Thanks! I think that was my first serious painted sp.

@Maxine Schacker:
    That's incredibly kind of you to say. I'm pretty sure that's the most affirmation I've ever received.
    I think people that know me in real life would probably say I'm all about realism, but the strongest urge I have I would say, would be personal expression. I have faith in the strength and authenticity of my fine art-related ideas and feelings, but I feel I don't nearly possess the technical ability to pull them off yet.

To answer your questions:
    - I started out painting from photo's, and I've done still lives and life paintings, but the majority of them aren't particularly interesting, because the foto-pieces were more about resemblance than actually being creative. And in the life paintings I still hadn't figured out what I was exactly looking for in painting.

My skills with creating purely from the imagination have become very weak and underdevelopped and I am in general a very slow and difficult artist. So I've been focusing mostly on selfportraits lately, because they combine several elements I'm interested in. And I consider it a bit of compromise for me between reference and imagination, and staying creatively active.

- I've never heard of the book, I checked it out at amazon and it carries a very fair price tag, and people seem to be praising it even if it doesn't have any pictures. I'll see if I can order it. I'm pretty hungry for information.

@The Klee: Thank you. I left out a lot of self-portraits, so the process has been more gradual than you see here, but it's really gratifying sometimes when you realise you made an artistic jump from one SP to the following one. But I do have to keep trying hard, because I do notice I immediately fall back considerably in quality if I don't put up a serious effort.
    My Self-Portraits

~ John Sloan Gist of Art

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast