I'm in so much trouble...
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: I'm in so much trouble...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I'm in so much trouble...

Please help me... I'm so lost with this.

How can I help the face? It's supposed to be a slightly cartoonish Ivan the Terrible, but... he looks chubby and seems to have a pig's nose instead of dramatically looking down.
    I'm in so much trouble (and not only because the face is so much-much more finished than anything else... I shouldn't let that always happen.)

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think the face looks fine.. looks like jack nicholson playing The Joker the nose is a bit big.. but who's to say this guy doesnt have a big nose?? i think its the chin and neck you really need to work on more.

the details is what will make this what you want it.. you're just not there yet. keep working - JAG

it's only after you've lost everything, that you're free to do anything..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The nose is intentionally large, since he's supposed to be rather old... but yeah, the pig nose -effect might be somewhat due to that. Ugh.

The chin is indeed trouble. I was using myself as a reference for getting the angle... but I don't have a man-chin or a beard and so I'm completely lost what to do with that area.

So lost...

(I also realized I have a pure white background in my photoshop. No wonder the values look a bit washed after I post my computer drawings here... sigh.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a normal nose isn't broader then a an eye
    always remember the "normal" here
    maybe just try several nose sizes (on layers for example)
    and you could crop off a lot of unnecessairy space in the lowest part of the pic

my sketchbook
    friends Sketchbooks:Dile_, Stine
    my flickr go there if you want to see my photography stuff

<mildly sarcastic remark that seems a little cutting at first read, but contains wisdom and is really rather funny>

Ilaekae: "I'm sick and tired of "purists" who dictate their own anal preoccupations to everybody else as the word of gods."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maby i'm damaged in some way but I don't see any cartoonism in this picture.. well..

There is a lot of light on the nose.. that's logic of course but.. what if the light were to hit a little stronger on his eyebrows, maby the nose wouldn't take so much attension.. sheat a little.. I don't know.. Then his little finger on his right hand.. Lookes a little to much strached away....... not in a cartoon though.. but everything else is so realistic...

By the way.. this is awsome!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the crits all.

Okay, JAG and Infinit, you are right, the nose looks better smaller..
    I just hesitated changing it at first since I originally had a smaller nose and it looked too girly and young... then I "fixed" it by making it bigger.
    And it doesn't make it any better that the original nose was likely bigger than one eyewidth since my nose actually is that large.

johanerik, well, I'm not seeing a real person in this image... so it's a bit cartoonish in my eyes.

I lenghtened the fingers on the right hand, made the nose smaller... and changed the jacket. Probably for the worse.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.