Thanks

Hats off to Volkswagon

They've accomplished something rather amazing.. read this to learn about how a new v-10 Touareg towed a Boeing 747.

http://www.seriouswheels.com/cars/to...Boeing-747.htm

way to go.. props to VW - JAG
    it's only after you've lost everything, that you're free to do anything..

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    it's Volkswagen after all!
    I esp wodered that they pulled this one off in the rain
    I saw it on TV pretty amazing
    my sketchbook
    friends Sketchbooks:Dile_, Stine
    my flickr go there if you want to see my photography stuff

<mildly sarcastic remark that seems a little cutting at first read, but contains wisdom and is really rather funny>

Ilaekae: "I'm sick and tired of "purists" who dictate their own anal preoccupations to everybody else as the word of gods."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    I've seen midgets tow a passenger plane, even a single (strong) man. It's just a matter of overcoming the various frictions to get the plane moving. If the plane had been in space, an ant could've towed it. This reeks of PR stunt.
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Not to mention a self driving gti....sort of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U88UlyjM4Pc
    You are a level 8 ninja and even though you have a lot of weapons sometimes your ninja moves are your most powerful.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus|ANJ
    I've seen midgets tow a passenger plane, even a single (strong) man. It's just a matter of overcoming the various frictions to get the plane moving. If the plane had been in space, an ant could've towed it. This reeks of PR stunt.
    That's like saying, I can pee in -300 c if I can only overcome the frozt issue, in a a sauna anyone could pee. OF COURSE it's about friction. :s

Thanks
    First, Absolute Zero is -273.15 &#176;C but even the coldest corners of space are a degree or so above that I think.

Second, if you're in space you could theoretically pee without freezing your peepee off as there's no cold air. The pee would due to the lack of pressure sublimate, i.e. boil to gas then turn into small pee ice crystals.

Third, yes, it's about static friction, that's what I said. My criticism concerned the obsessive OMGWTFBBQ a phat 747 towed by a tiiny car!!! It's not impressive. They could've removed the whole damn plane and replaced it with Velcro sheets. OMG this car could pull 10sq.ft of super velcro apart!!!!! It would've been the same thing. The plane mass is not a measurement of the impressiveness, the invisible 'static friction' threshold is. This threshold is obviously small enough for a man or some midgets to break it.

The part about towing stuff in space was just a way to make an example where the impressiveness of the towed object remains, but with the static friction removed.

Now, it that car had pulled the plane uphill we would be talking.
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    haha man not the way i thought this thread would go.. no sweat. Prometheus, man we've all seen many things towing many other things.. no biggie there im with you. but i just hapen to be a volkswagen fan and THATS why i threw out this little VW pr-stunt i think midgets towing a plane is much more entertaining though - JAG

Thanks
    Something doesn't have to be complex to be impressive. There are A LOT of cars out there that can't even move a truck one inch.

Thanks
    Well I think it's impressive, nice one.

Prometheus|ANJ; you're such a killjoy.

Thanks
    Im with Prom on this one.

Thanks
    I just like to dissect that's all. My point is that, you can't really tell how impressive it is with the static friction part being invisible and depending on stuff like:

How well pumped are the tires on the plane and what surface contact do they have?
    How smooth is the ground? Is it leaning?
    What bearings are used in the wheels and how do they respond to the pressure of the plane?
    What kind of pressure is distributed on each wheel locking it in static friction?
    Was the plane oscillated back and forth to build up motion?
    etc.

These factors multiply with the mass or something, kinda like you multiply density with volume to get mass. You can't really say, WOW, this old man could lift 3.2 cubic meter of material with one arm! What material? Uranium? Stone? Fluffy wool? Helium? Sure, The larger the volume the more fantastic it gets (unless it's helium, or in the case of the passenge plane, it rolls really well (which we don't know if it does cuz it's hard to estimate))... how many people could estimate the static friction of a passenger plane... like.. wow, they pulled a 150ton passenger plane with 18 102% PSI 28inch Z patterened wheels with Graham-Kerchim bearings oiled with Lamtex V90! The power needed to overcome that kind of static friction must be well beyond 0.7 MegaWatt!
    Last edited by Prometheus|ANJ; December 8th, 2006 at 08:41 AM.

Thanks
    heh.. alright you bring up some valid points. tell you what, just cuz im ored and have nothing to do today at work.. ill look into this and do some calculating and we'll figure out if this is really that impressive. you want numbers??? i'll give you numbers... - JAG

Thanks
    Did people actually read the article?

In order for the Touareg V10 TDI to be able to tow the big bird, the weight of the Volkswagen had to first be increased. This sounds paradoxical but is absolutely necessary so that the power of the engine can be converted into propelling force. For this purpose steel balls and steel plates were distributed in the SUV. Extra weight: 4,345 kilos! Total weight of the Touareg: 7,030 kilos. Weight distribution: 2,755 kilos in front, 4,275 kilos in back.
    and

Krieghoff manually selected the second gear of the automatic transmission, accelerated slowly and reflected on getting the 18 head-height wheels of the 155 ton 747 rolling from a standing position. The greatest power was required in these few seconds. As soon as this harnessed system got moving, it would move.
    etc.

The Touareg, (w/a little help from Stanford) also won the 2 million dollar pentagon sponsored robot guided car race last year.

http://www.livescience.com/technolog...pa_winner.html

I wanna see these touaregs towing a jumbo jet.
    You are a level 8 ninja and even though you have a lot of weapons sometimes your ninja moves are your most powerful.

Thanks
    I'm guessing for a regular passenger plane, it's between 2kW (0.002MW, an extraordinary human) and 500kW (0.500MW, a powerful car).

Once the plane gets rolling it might be possible to pull it around with less power (Edit, yeah, the article said that). (If we're allowed to use a power accumulator we could use that to yank the plane into the realm of the moving, then use regular continuous power to pull it. The strongmen that have pulled planes around have probably got them to move by accumulating power in some form of oscillation, i.e. rocking the plane into motion.)
    Last edited by Prometheus|ANJ; December 8th, 2006 at 12:55 PM.

Thanks
    ohhh man... good thing that came up cuz i was about to own you with some physics calculations - JAG

Thanks
    SYDNEY, Australia (Reuter) -- Australian strongman David [pull] Huxley
    landed himself in the Guinness Book of Records on Tuesday by pulling a
    jumbo jet more than 165 feet (50 meters).
    http://www.petting-zoo.net/~deadbeef/archive/1102.html

At any rate, people pull passenger planes around all the time.

http://web.sa.sc.edu/bbf/pictures.htm

Thanks
    The self-driving GTI is much more interesting.
    DON'T CLICK THIS