Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks

"An Inconvenient Truth"

Hello CA

This is actually I think the first thread I ever started in the Lounge (unlike others hihi), and I'm starting this because I think it's very important that as many people as possible get to know (what Al Gore, me, and many many others think is) the truth, about global warming.
    I've just seen a film called "An Inconvenient Truth", in which you see Al Gore having a presentation about global waming, CO2 and all these things.
    In my city (Eindhoven, the Netherlands), you can go see this film for free because the city council thingy thought it's very important that as many people as possible see this.
    I definately think that's true.
    I know ofcourse it's better to buy the DVD than to download it, but I think the main reason this was made is to create awareness, not money. So I don't think it's a bad thing if I post a torrent here (open it in a program like BitTorrent or any other Torrent client) to download the film/ documentary.
    click
    The facts that are shown in this film are the ones that I also read in various articles on the internet, in magazines, and I also saw a lot of this on Discovery channel. I therefor think this documentary is very truthful, and should be viewed upon as the truth. Though ofcourse everybody is free to think what they think right (at least, in most countries).

Ah well, I just posted this here in the hope of helping a bit with creating awareness of this radical problem. Please see the film (for me? *puppy eyes*).
    And ehh maybe say here what you think about it.

Love
    Marleen

EDIT; I guess this could also be in "Movie, Games and Music talk" but I know it'll get way more attention being in the lounge. But moderators, feel free to move this if you think that's better.
    Another EDIT; here are ten simple things you can do to help a lot.
    and at http://www.climatecrisis.net you can find out a lot more about what you can do to help.
    Last edited by NoŽ; December 12th, 2006 at 01:33 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I agree! Personally I believe the environment to be the single most important thing of our generation. Racism<Equality, poverty<comfortable living, War<peace ...all of these things don't mean shit if we don't have an environment we can survive in.
    [][][][] DRAW EVERYDAY [][][][]>

Thanks
    it was a very interesting documentary.. and made some good and valid points. i think it is something everyone shoul watch and hopefully effect some change in the way things are going. although, there is evidence to show things arent as bad as they may seem.. still important to fix the situation as best we can while we can. - JAG
    it's only after you've lost everything, that you're free to do anything..

Thanks
    It definitely casts some doubt on the idea that global warming is for people who wear tinfoil hats.

Thanks
    Im downloading the torrent, mainly because the google video has shitty quality. Thanks for sharing this, I'll look into it.

Thanks
    This is actually a good film. Al Gore is a very good public speaker. As i was watching I came upon this. I thought it would be a nice supplement to this thread. After I watch a documentary I always read or watch something that has opposite views to see what they have to say.

http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/envi...aterworld.html

Just my oppinion though. Why did they use New Orleans as an example in this movie? I know it was horrible, but it wasn't just because of our Eco system. New Orleans is in the middle of a bowl of levys that were never properly upgraded. That's the reason it flooded. I lived in florida my whole life, and the threat of hurricanes can be scary. I even experienced Andrew. The size of the Hurricane (Katrina) was surprising, but it's not like there never was one that large.

Hurricanes are pretty common around this area, it was just that New Orleans and Mississippi are very low to the ground. Florida itself is situated on a large slab of lime rock, and we are only 14 feet above ground, mississippi is basically the same way and consists of swamps. South Louissiana is consisted alot of swamplands as well. After this happened I wasn't surprised. I would say a disaster like this is in a sense what the US was like when Pearl Harbor happened. It came out of no where and we unprepaired, we had a hard time saving these people and our government seems like it just never thought of something like this would happen.

Edit:: Just to note. I'm not trying to change the subject. Let's stick with global warming.
    Last edited by 2b BOY; December 6th, 2006 at 12:21 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mack
    I agree! Personally I believe the environment to be the single most important thing of our generation. Racism<Equality, poverty<comfortable living, War<peace ...all of these things don't mean shit if we don't have an environment we can survive in.
    You stated my views more clearly than I ever could.
    I haven't seen the documentary, but I'm glad that the urgency of these problem is finally getting to people. It seems like people might finally be coming out of denial and trying to do something about it. I hope I'm not being too optimistic, though.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 2b BOY
    Just my oppinion though. Why did they use New Orleans as an example in this movie? I know it was horrible, but it wasn't just because of our Eco system. New Orleans is in the middle of a bowl of levys that were never properly upgraded. That's the reason it flooded. I lived in florida my whole life, and the threat of hurricanes can be scary. I even experienced Andrew. The size of the Hurricane (Katrina) was surprising, but it's not like there never was one that large.
    I think he was talking about Katrina and those other hurricanes to relate more to the people of the United States. I think for a lot of people, things only start becoming real, when they're related to things that are happening in their country/ area at the moment. Things they can relate to.
    So I guess Gore tried to get people to understand this is affecting their lives as well.
    I found those scenes about his son being in the hospital, and about him not getting the precidency a bit weird, but I think to a lot of "average" (damn I hate that word ^^) americans, these are scenes that keep them relating to the subject and keep them understanding things. I'm not trying to say that the "average" american is stupid. Ah well you know what I mean.

Oh and Ian, I totally agree with you too. (am I saying that I'm agreeing with agreeing with myself now? hihi, that's just weird)

love
    Marleen

Thanks
    Thanks I was going to try to hunt this down my self as I seen bit and pices and as some that I always watching the why thing are happing in the weather and world I can see a lot of changes that are not good.

Something is going on and to say that isn't is just opening us to disaster.

As artist we study this Plant all the time and we see the changes butter than some the study it with science.

Thank for the info . Saw Al on TV yesterday and they said something about local house parties where the fill is being shown as well. It is on their web site I think.

this is info for all and the internet is work to keep it out there for all.

CC

Thanks
    Let me first confess that I have not seen the film yet. From what i hear, it makes alot of good points that we ALL can agree upon. But I hope people remmember a couple things:

This IS a movie. You have to take it with a grain of salt. No movie ever tells the whole truth.

Nature, Earth, Life etc works in cycles. Cycles that can't be predicted or completely explained even by the best scientists. Don't get me wrong, this "global warming " is for REAL. BUT, there are reasons causing it that are bigger than us. FYI, this "warming" trend on our planet is the result of the last "mini" ice age.

The planet is just starting to warm up again. As the glaciers melt and oceans get too big AGAIN, the temperatures will start to drop AGAIN. Throw in some unpredictable volcanic eruptions,, earthquakes...and the next thing you know we will be missing Summer....... AGAIN.

It's one big balancing..cause / reaction cycle our amazing planet goes through.

People ARE NOT the main reason our planet experiences major shifts in temperature. Bigger things like the SUN and Mother Earth herself are changing all the time.

In the seventies they were predicting the next Ice Age. Today, we are all going to dry up and die from our own pollution destroying the earth. PLEASE.

People hate to realize that there are forces much larger than us that we can't control. So live your life, drive your hybrids, create a more efficient energy source. But do it keep our world competitive, clean, and efficient.
    Don't do it out of fear or guilt. Life is too short ...and mother Earth will be around A LOT longer than us.
    Last edited by otis; December 6th, 2006 at 05:34 PM.
    "If one advances confidently in the direction of
    his dreams, and endeavors to live the life he
    has imagined, he will meet with a success
    unexpected in common hours."
    - H.D. Thoreau

Thanks
    ok, for all who haven't seen this movie;

GO WATCH IT!!!

you will be much wiser after it and this movie isn't just talking scary stories, but it is the truth.

edit: oh odit, about the just warming up, yes, the earth has a cycle with warming up and cooling down from itself, but the "warming" trend we see now, is far bigger then what has ever happened in the entire excistence we know off (and we're talking about many many many years, not just 30-40). This is something that has never happened, and that is what this movie is about, to give an explanation to why and how, what to believe and what not. It is a pretty accurate documentary with lots of tables showing the real facts, and not as much to what we read in magazines etc. And yes, you are correct, if we dont do anything now we can't control it anymore because the forces will be way to large for us.
    Last edited by D.Labruyere; December 6th, 2006 at 06:39 PM.

Thanks
    For someone that has a fear of rising water, it was very distressing to see the trailer... I want to go back to the Alps !

Thanks
    Al Gore is an outstanding public speaker, charismatic and still a handsome man in his fifties. He portrays the information well, and Im really glad I spent the time downloading the torrent, which has better quality than the google video.

Thanks
    If you have seen this movie, then I suggest you keep expanding your minds and read State of Fear by Michael Crichton. The author did a lot of research on global warming for this novel, and I found it very enlightening in addition to thrilling, and you may too. If you don't want to read the story, the author has included his personal notes on his research in the back of the book and I recommend just reading that. It is amazing how many "facts" out there contradict each other.

Thanks

next ice age for Europe?

OK I just watch the movie.

And my prediction still stands. Gore proved it when he made a really good point about the last "mini "ice Age" when the glaciers in Canada were steadily melting..then suddenly stopped how Europe fell into a mini Ice age for the next 1000 years.

If Greenland's glaciers suddenly break off and dissapear, not only will this raise the sea level, ( reminds me of the great flood of Noahs Arc) BUT it will once again throw Europe into another Ice age.

I saw a great documenty on the Discovery channel about Edward Cayce...the last great prohet/ predictor. He mentioned that in 2012, Europe will change in a "blink of and eye" and many places will "fall off into the ocean" Maybe this is what he predicted?

Just a thought.
    Last edited by otis; December 11th, 2006 at 03:33 PM.
    - H.D. Thoreau

Thanks
    Haha that's kinda funny..
    The Mayan calendar ends at 2012.. ^^
    I don't think it'll happen that quickly but it can definately happen.
    It's one of the many things that could happen to the world because of global warming and all.

many predictions are able to be linked to things like another ice age, raise of sea level and everything. I don't think the predictions are real.
    But I do think this (movie) is.
    I'm happy that you reacted so well to the movie.
    I posted this on a small Dutch forum, and they went all like "Al Gore, that crazy treehugger? I don't believe a word he says, he's just overreacting"
    kinda weird.. since they didn't watch anything of the film.

love
    Marleen

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NoŽ
    Haha that's kinda funny..
    The Mayan calendar ends at 2012.. ^^
    I don't think it'll happen that quickly but it can definately happen.
    It's one of the many things that could happen to the world because of global warming and all.

many predictions are able to be linked to things like another ice age, raise of sea level and everything. I don't think the predictions are real.
    But I do think this (movie) is.
    I'm happy that you reacted so well to the movie.
    I posted this on a small Dutch forum, and they went all like "Al Gore, that crazy tree hugger? I don't believe a word he says, he's just overreacting"
    kinda weird.. since they didn't watch anything of the film.

love
    Marleen

Crazy Tree hugger ? Ya that is crazy..but you know most people are so blind to what is going on you just want to grab them and point and say LOOK!! and LOOK HERE!! .. they will still say there is nothing wrong you're just a crazy tree hugger..it all fine...

We as artist are trained to observer the world not just bolds of fruit or some naked person. We are trained to see the world and how things works.
    We see more than someone who sit around thinking of how they need to get that next SUV or take some nice land out side the city and build 4400 over priced homes and it in a flood plan as well.

I see a lot I study how the weather changes and how the land reacts to man building and dumping on it. Watch the weather channel for one week and tell me something isn't right when you see storms bigger then the first and they just come one after the other.

Ya I guess I am crazy but when the only blue sky and tree and deep blue sea in the world is in my art I guess I will be seen as someone that gave dam. But who knows they will have all the art destroyed because it show the world wrong.. no blue sky's no trees not clean air or seas to swim in.. thats their world..not mine..

Gore is some that want to try to do something at lease and i give him that.
    but he is one of those D.C. boy's that all in the end want the power to lead people and I still haven't found one I think we can trust 100%

CC

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Haldor

edit: oh odit, about the just warming up, yes, the earth has a cycle with warming up and cooling down from itself, but the "warming" trend we see now, is far bigger then what has ever happened in the entire excistence we know off (and we're talking about many many many years, not just 30-40). This is something that has never happened, and that is what this movie is about, to give an explanation to why and how, what to believe and what not. It is a pretty accurate documentary with lots of tables showing the real facts, and not as much to what we read in magazines etc. And yes, you are correct, if we dont do anything now we can't control it anymore because the forces will be way to large for us.

weve only been keeping detailed records of the earths temp, humidty, natural disasters (earthquakes, volcanoes and what have you) ect for the past 150 years. with taht in mond, its impossible to say what we are experiencing is a new global phenomenon, and not some part of a natural cycle.

yes theres some thing we can improve apon to make the world a nicer place to live in, but to think that are in or about to be stuck in a downward cycle that will end in a new ice age is just stupid. if a new ice age is coming, theres nothing we can do to stop it, as i said there are cycles to weather, but i would be much more worried abotu a meteor or a super volcanoe such as the one in wyoming going off and cause a cold snap, then the fact that people driving SUVs is doing the same.

dont get me wrong, i like clean oceans and fresh air, i just doub that we as a people have very little impact one way or another on how it affects the worlds climate so much were stuck in a new ice age.
    -=[ Sinister Six Sketch Group ]=-
    -=[ Cookiedough Fooxoo |ntern Hyver Character Evildisco]=-

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by |NTeRN
    we've only been keeping detailed records of the earths temp, humidity, natural disasters (earthquakes, volcanoes and what have you) ect for the past 150 years. with that in mound, its impossible to say what we are experiencing is a new global phenomenon, and not some part of a natural cycle.

yes theres some thing we can improve apon to make the world a nicer place to live in, but to think that are in or about to be stuck in a downward cycle that will end in a new ice age is just stupid. if a new ice age is coming, theres nothing we can do to stop it, as i said there are cycles to weather, but i would be much more worried abotu a meteor or a super volcanoes such as the one in Wyoming going off and cause a cold snap, then the fact that people driving SUVs is doing the same.

don't get me wrong, i like clean oceans and fresh air, i just doubt that we as a people have very little impact one way or another on how it affects the worlds climate so much were stuck in a new ice age.

Ok well with in 150 years time we have studied the world we live in we found the history of the weather in those things called Glaciers and we can see the changes that have happen in this world before we started recording them. Oh and the Chinese they been watching the weather as well for more than 10,000 years just in there part of the world. So there are records there are changes.We can take the bark of trees and giant Red woods and see the past and know what was going on with the weather.

as for the last part.. a humming bird fly around your yard it wing moving air fast as it can.. that air moves more air .. and it rain some place in south America.. chaos science and math has shown this to be very true so Yes a SUV sitting in back up traffic on the 210freeway in L.A. will change the air your kids inhale some time later.

In a way i hope you are right but if you are them doing nothing is th wrong thing to do. People need to get active and look at what is going on before it is too late if isn't already.

CC

Thanks
    Oh well,.... things change. We just have to adapt.
    - H.D. Thoreau

Thanks

Exclamation

weve only been keeping detailed records of the earths temp, humidty, natural disasters (earthquakes, volcanoes and what have you) ect for the past 150 years. with taht in mond, its impossible to say what we are experiencing is a new global phenomenon, and not some part of a natural cycle.

yes theres some thing we can improve apon to make the world a nicer place to live in, but to think that are in or about to be stuck in a downward cycle that will end in a new ice age is just stupid. if a new ice age is coming, theres nothing we can do to stop it, as i said there are cycles to weather, but i would be much more worried abotu a meteor or a super volcanoe such as the one in wyoming going off and cause a cold snap, then the fact that people driving SUVs is doing the same.

dont get me wrong, i like clean oceans and fresh air, i just doub that we as a people have very little impact one way or another on how it affects the worlds climate so much were stuck in a new ice age.
    agreed, the earth is much larger than we know and nature will always take its own course, I just hope this theory doesn't turn into the previous "acid rain will destroy all north eastern forrest by present day" predictions can be far fetched especially when we have a 150 year timeline to compare to billions of unknown climate years, its like the weatherman trying to give the millenium forcast.....I think If anything, middlegrounds in predictions and estimates will be achieved...besides, no one can deny the political ideas and scrupples involved in this indirectly, the movie states no politics, but government sanctions, estimates, and support all come from a party and that party has an ideal to stand to...I don't blame anyone though, it's very hard to define billions of people into three seperate categories (blue, red, independant) anyone who doesn't see the gray within this formula hasn't spoken to more than one person....

Don't point the fingers at yourself too harshly...I still feel that if a meteor started screaming toward earth, the big wigs would react with "he did it" (place finger at desired man in charge here), meanwhile I'll make a 10 page .50$ pamplet theorizing that if everyone leans to the left at the same time the earth will shift an dodge the meteor (and sadly, make $$$)

Thanks
    i think you're missing the point that it's not the earth we have to worry about destroying, it's ourselves, and the plant and animal species we share this planet with. the rock will out live us all, tha's no doubt, but how much longer can we survive in an environment that's changing faster than we can adapt?

species go extinct all the time, we're not so special that we're somehow exempt.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Layil
    i think you're missing the point that it's not the earth we have to worry about destroying, it's ourselves, and the plant and animal species we share this planet with. the rock will out live us all, that's no doubt, but how much longer can we survive in an environment that's changing faster than we can adapt?

species go extinct all the time, we're not so special that we're somehow exempt.
    I see you been paying attend to what's up..Can we adapt faster than this planet is changing ? what if we wake to a world of "Day After tomorrow" Or a world that is starting to change it's Magnetic Poles That would change a ton of things.

But those the extreme ways things can go. What we seeing now is the start fast or slow it things are changing but is there time to adapt to those changes..I think not for those here now but who knows what is coming to replace mankind.. I really hate to think of what will replace some like us.

CC.

Thanks

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Layil
    i think you're missing the point that it's not the earth we have to worry about destroying, it's ourselves, and the plant and animal species we share this planet with. the rock will out live us all, tha's no doubt, but how much longer can we survive in an environment that's changing faster than we can adapt?

Do I think the Human race is exempt? Hell no, never said it was, but I gave a more logical way that life on this planet could change beyond adaptation, i.e. a meteor hits us.....

Thanks
    Google video's not working, I searched but it's all vids of under 3 mins.

Thanks
    Google kill the vid link but the bit torrent works so far. Downloaded it after it cut out on Google.

BTW way was watching BBC America and the new said to a report was coming out from some top people today(Tuesday Dec 12) that the Poles will be melted with in the next 35 years. Not sure if this mean they will be gone fulling but
    that's a lot of water that will be added to the seas. I am very happy I am living inland now and not on flood plan.

CC

Thanks
    As said previously this is a movie, and Al Gore, having actually accused cigarette smokers for worsening global warming, I would definatly take it with a grain of salt.

Thanks
    That's not entirely true.. As CCorsair said; Scientists and biologists and probably a whole lot of other "-ists" gained knowledge about how much CO2 there was in the air, and how hot that year was, to 600.000 years back, by taking ice out of glaciers, by studying very old trees, and by other methods I don't remember. Take a look here to see one of the articles written about it. I also saw this on Discovery Channel, and ofcourse in this film "An Inconvenient Truth".
    Quote Originally Posted by light
    As said previously this is a movie, and Al Gore, having actually accused cigarette smokers for worsening global warming, I would definatly take it with a grain of salt.
    That is so generalizing. Just because someone says one thing you find untrue, it doesn't mean everything else he has to say is untrue just as well.
    Sure I find it weird to that he might have said that cigarette smokers are worsening global warming, but the things he says in the movie have very strong arguments to support them.

Ah though it might look like it, I'm not here to talk you into believing something else. I just want to stop untrue rumours.

love
    Marleen

Thanks
    You want me to go se a movie of political propaganda?
    About an idiotic theory of Co2 causing global warming?
    This theory is refused by 72 Nobel prise "winners" and about 3000 known scientists.
    There is almost none scientists that support this theory
    It’s one thing people should have learned.

THE WORLD ISN’T STATIC!

The reason why I actually get angry of this subject is that in Norway the medias
    Talk and write of global warming as something that is actually happening, and that the temperature will rise 10 C in tree years and so on.
    And did you know that there is 0.0375% Co2 in the atmosphere?
    And that the Co2 doesn’t reflect sunlight, it absorbs it like a pair of sunglasses?
    Even better you could have doubled the amount of Co2 a 100 times and it wouldn't absorb more light?

Please flame me on this, I will answer

edit
    ./. removed polarised from the sunglass exasmple
    My Gallery: Part one Part two

Thanks
    @ Barret_wallace; I'd like to know where you got those numbers about that the "theory" is rejected by so many scientists. I never heard that before, and for all I know almost every scientist who went to investigate the subject had the same opinion as Al Gore has.
    When you put the percentage of CO2 in the atmosphere there like that it does look like a pretty small number that couldn't possibly do anything with our temperatures. But from the numbers I read and saw, it was clearly visible that the concentration of CO2 in the air has almost direct influence on the temperature on earth.

There were a few things I didn't understand about your post. Here are my questions;
    - Could you explain what you mean with "the world isn't static" ? You mean it isn't electrically loaded?
    - I don't understand what you want to say with that CO2 would absorb sunlight. Could you explain that? I find it a bit weird that it would just absorb sunlight, because energy has to go somewhere doesn't it? Mister Newton said so

I'm just going into a discussion here, not to flame you, but to try and learn something. I just like to know a lot about the subject, and after gathering information on this and seeing the film I got convinced that this is very real. But ofcourse I'm open to other opinions and arguments. ^^
    Oh one other thing. I asked you to watch the movie, because it explains everything a whole lot better than I could, and I know it cleares up a lot of myths about global warming. But ofcourse that will depend on what your opinion is.

love
    Marleen

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast