Thread: Cray-pas?

Thanks

Cray-pas?

I went to Indigo Art Supply (my favorite art store in the area who is sadly closing their doors forever...) and I came across a box of cray-pas.

I wanted to try using different mediums, and I decided to buy them and try them out.

I was just wondering if anyone had used them before and had any tips on how to use them. Currently I am have problems blending...

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I last used them in high school, never really liked them. But my instructor said that they were a good medium to use before comitting my Oils to Canvas... and he was right. As an Oil based medium it gives you the "greasy" texture, but as far as blending goes, just get your fingers dirty (literally) the same way you would using charcoal on paper. I have yet to see anyone do a "professional" looking piece with them. Who knows you could be the first - Good luck.

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    I've used them for years to do rough sketches with because they're cheap and I can imitate "painty" feel if I work small enough. They keep me from getting too anal with my drawings, which I do a lot...
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 259 Posts
    Here:

http://conceptart.org/forums/showpos...5&postcount=55

If this helps, you should poke ArtEdGradStudent and tell him to make a proper tutorial of this. ;-)
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Cray-Pas are made by Sakura (of Micron pen fame,) and was their first released product, being the first brand of manufactured oil pastels. They are made from a non-drying oil and paraffin wax, and some of the colors are dyes and not lightfast. You can thin or spread them with oil mediums or oil solvents. They're most effective when working in lighter shades to darker.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Cray-pas are evil incarnate. You'd be better off with a nice sixty-four box of Crayolas.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    heehee!
    Funny, after a few hours of testing my patience with them.... I figured that out.

"Well freeze my piss if the royal finger isn't beckoning me. How exciting."

"I am nature. you are art. Let us see how we compare."

Thanks
    As with painting, try laying down large areas of color, and then working back in to get the detail. If you use a brush and some thinner you can blend them nicely, and get some pretty good details.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.