Challenge head's up...Schoolies vs Self-Taughts
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Challenge head's up...Schoolies vs Self-Taughts

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,580 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Challenge head's up...Schoolies vs Self-Taughts

A guy named Nerdlinger has thrown out a challenge in the Challenge Section--Those who went to Art Achool against the Self-Taught.

We're trying to gather up about 35 on each side to make it a real to-do. Subject/competition is a full figure portrait of an historical figure from the Medieval Period (for the sake of the contest--300 AD to 1300 ad) in full color, PAINTED traditionally or digitally. Much blood and trash talk.

It will be starting late December or Early January if we get enough people quickly, and will be judged by special judges if we can get a couple drunk enough to agree...

Get your asses in there and sign up. NOW! Do I look like I'm a patient sort?!?

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

sve is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You look like already defeated sort!!!

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't get me started, you lobster-chukkin' tinkerbell! I have paint and it's loaded!!!!

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha, I like this idea, sounds like a lot of fun.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bump! Come on you know you want to!!! It'll be fun! GUT RIPPING FUN!!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, you'll get to watch me slap sve around with some lobsters! Weeeeee!

sve is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You and lobster coexist in parallel worlds, you never meet.

I mean there is certainly love from your side, but in lobster's camp.... nothing, gruesome silence. It takes two to tango, you know.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    how would you define "Self-Taught" vs "Schooled"?

I'm sure alot of people could be considered "Self-Taught" despite the fact that they have attended a school and have taken classes.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    From the rules..

If you paid an art teacher (not including a high school teacher) any money to learn how to paint or for anything else.. then you're in team School.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    We're defining any paid classes or mentoring related to art at any time after high school as "schooled." You go, you get cooties, you live with it.

I'm technically self taught because I knew most of what school supposedly taught me before I attended (I was working as a pro before I attended school)...BUT I did go to school, so...I'm a Schoolie.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wish I could be on the self-taught side since they've only let me do my painting thing once in my 3 years at art school (oh to be a Computer Animation Major.)

Since I don't qualify for the self-taughts, I shall instead cheer for them on the sidelines.
    ...ya'll better represent.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I assume anybody who ever attended a CA workshop wouldn't qualify for self taught either? Or if you ever viewed a tutorial, bought a book...? Which brings up my point: Who hasn't learned somthing along the way. Artists are always learning and growing with or without a degree. Nobody lives in a vacume.

What kind of Art Schools fall into this category? Just because you whent to college, took one random drawing elective makes you a "schoolie"?

We might as well just call this the educated vs the uneducated. Makes no sense to me.

I recommend changing the category to Art School GRADS vs everybody else.

"If one advances confidently in the direction of
    his dreams, and endeavors to live the life he
    has imagined, he will meet with a success
    unexpected in common hours."
    - H.D. Thoreau

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Otis, my main man you're making us Self taught artists sound like a godless rabble!

Larger than life

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bammer !

I thought one drawing class didn't count, as long as you were disgusted and never went back? I don't know. And honestly, somehow I don't think the workshop should be included... It's payed simply because they need funding, but it really is something that requires no previous artistic qualificatioins...which is extremely different from traditional art schooling.

Anyway, WE NEED MORE SELFIES!!!! IF YOU ARE SELF TAUGHT WE WANT YOU TO SIGN UP THX. lol!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Comeon now, it's not that confusing.

If you've ever filled a teddy bear with rat guts, you're in the art school group.
    If 50% of your friends are vegans, you're in the art school group.
    If you've taken nude b/w photos of a family member, you're in the art school group.
    If your girlfriend has short black hair and hasn't spoken since 1997, you're in the art school group.
    If you ride a bicycle, you're in the art school group.

Need I go on?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH

Sinix marry me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinix
    Comeon now, it's not that confusing.

If you've ever filled a teddy bear with rat guts, you're in the art school group.
    If you've taken nude b/w photos of a family member, you're in the art school group.
    If your girlfriend has short black hair and hasn't spoken since 1997, you're in the art school group.
    If you ride a bicycle, you're in the art school group.

Need I go on?
    Where I live, that's only correct if you studied Fine Arts. When you go to GD school, everyone looks cool, modern and hip, and go around waving their cellphones and I-pods loaded with electronic music

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Huhuhuhuh, I-pods and macs... metrosexual fodder!!!!! Cheesy techno music in the background of a demo reel...sounds about right !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Boy, the Ringling grads in here must be really happpy to read these stereotypes.

So, if I got my degree in graphic design, but I'm completely self taught as an illustrator / artist...what does that make me?

BTW, I've never had a class in figure painting, drawing or anything else relating to "art". I took classes in package design, typography etc.

"If one advances confidently in the direction of
    his dreams, and endeavors to live the life he
    has imagined, he will meet with a success
    unexpected in common hours."
    - H.D. Thoreau

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So did I. I flunked all my painting and drawing classes because I never showed up...S C H O O O O L I E E E E E ...

ADD: Otis, if anything, people like you and me and Entdroid are not only SCHOOLED better in the "arts" than most of the illustrators here, but we're pretty much over-qualified to even join this competition. That, and the fact that we can actually spell and write coherent sentences should get us thrown off the damn forum...

Last edited by Ilaekae; December 5th, 2006 at 09:39 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I don't consider myself a selfy by any stretch of the imagination, but I really think that artists (at least ought to) teach themselves at least as much as anybody else teaches them.

Where I live, that's only correct if you studied Fine Arts
    Where I went to school (which has only a Fine Arts program, cause that's all the school does) that list is way off the mark with the possible exception of the Vegan bit, but even there 50% may be a stretch. The Bike thing is more a hipster/person living in the city stereotype, and it does make alot of sense living in the city if you're not scared of getting wrecked and mangled. I'm scared of getting wrecked and mangled, so I swung it the other way and drove a Cadillac.

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really think that artists (at least ought to) teach themselves at least as much as anybody else teaches them.
    Dave you nailed it there. I have learned more since I graduated than while in school.

Are you going to join us in the fun? Come on man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by otis
    Boy, the Ringling grads in here must be really happpy to read these stereotypes.

So, if I got my degree in graphic design, but I'm completely self taught as an illustrator / artist...what does that make me?

BTW, I've never had a class in figure painting, drawing or anything else relating to "art". I took classes in package design, typography etc.
    I have a graphic design degree too, never took a painting/drawing class either, got a 3rd world country's education from people who think Bauhaus is recent design and they told me I'm schoolie, so you must be too!

And Dave: I live a few blocks away form the Art University here, and I can tell for sure that at least 90% of the people there are EXACTLY as Sinix depictions. My Design History teacher, who also teaches Art History at the local University, literally said: "you CAN'T paint in Fine Arts anymore. It's just not what it is about". But I'm sure this is nothing like the school you went to, man, I'd show you some pictures if I had some, I googled for some but all I could find was some pics of a performance by a student which took place there, that should be a good example of the kind of "art" education you can get here

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    "you CAN'T paint in Fine Arts anymore. It's just not what it is about"
    I know man, they spread that shit far and wide from what I hear. This generally doesn't mean that you can't paint at all though, just that you can't paint representational. I think alot of the teachers who perpetuate this myth fall into two categories: The first are guys who were in school or trying to show and sell during the 60s and 70s when it really was apparently a dead market for non-abstract painting and they have yet to realize that this is no longer the case. The others are the guys who couldn't hack it as a representational painter and have a little bit of a chip on their shoulder about it.

There's a giant art university down the way from the school I went to and it seemed like a highschool except their parents were paying $20,000+ a year. I know where Sinix is coming from.

Voodoo, I might enter the dome if it doesn't start until January. I just finished a medieval painting for a job and have ideas for another, but time is tight until New Years and I don't want to embarrass us schoolies..

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by otis
    So I assume anybody who ever attended a CA workshop wouldn't qualify for self taught either? Or if you ever viewed a tutorial, bought a book...? Which brings up my point: Who hasn't learned somthing along the way. Artists are always learning and growing with or without a degree. Nobody lives in a vacume.

What kind of Art Schools fall into this category? Just because you whent to college, took one random drawing elective makes you a "schoolie"?

We might as well just call this the educated vs the uneducated. Makes no sense to me.

I recommend changing the category to Art School GRADS vs everybody else.
    From the rules anybody who has attended a CA workshop is a schoollie, since you have paid art teachers. A book or a tutorial is not an art teacher, even if it was made by one.

So it is simple if you paid for some kind of classes you're a schoolie.
    I am on that team and the only art classes I had after highschool was a small scientific illustration workshop, I paid for it so I guess I'm a schoolie.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm still in art school, but I never had any drawing classes, it's just game design, as in gameplay. I took a lifedrawing class once, but that's about it.

edit: If attending a CA workshop makes you schooled then Marko is not self-taught either, I recon he disagrees. I've been to one myself. Considering everything I learned myself versus the things I picked up at the one lifedrawing class I did, I still consider myself self-taught.

Last edited by Floris Didden; December 6th, 2006 at 07:16 AM.
    /fd
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does?"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinix
    ...If you've ever filled a teddy bear with rat guts, you're in the art school group.
    If you ride a bicycle, you're in the art school group...

Hehehehe! Great post, Sinix!

Anyhow, this sounds like fun. I might join in to get my ass kicked by those schoolies!

Trés Cuté Sketch Group
    magicgoo bluemech cwn annwn light dished

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by magicgoo
    Hehehehe! Great post, Sinix!

Anyhow, this sounds like fun. I might join in to get my ass kicked by those schoolies!
    Do it! The selfies need more troops.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd be down for the self-taughts team if you need numbers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So would we be copying a old master full figure portrait, or making up our own?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.