Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: mac or pc?

Thanks

mac or pc?

ok im going to go to an artschool were not going to talk about cause i pretty much know everyones opinion on it not helping its online at that . but i have my reasons and we will leave that at that.
    ok so financial aid has taken care of most of my cost but unfortunatly i can only go part time but anyway to the meat and potatoes of the post

my dad is sending me 4000 dollars for books software and a new computer the books and software will cost right around 1000 bucks so thats 3000 to spend on a computer

now my only question is what i should get.

with a pc i know how it works i know what the speeds mean i know the hardware and the operating system i know how fast fast is . i know the top line and i know the budget jems . downsides would be with a badass computer like that i would be prone to get into gaming again bad idea cause im easlily addicted to FPS games

now for a mac . i hear they are great for audio and video and stuff like that . a 24 inch widescreen imac would sit nicely on my desk and nobosy really programs viruses and spyware to affect the mac operating sysem i hear . oh and they make a microsoft office pro for mac ironicly (required by my school). downsides id be lost and have no idea what i was doing for a while i tried linux a while ago and didnt really like it .

id love to hear any and all oppinions .

and for the record i dont exspect the art school in question to make me a great artist . but it will give me access to books and software , assignments , people to compete against in a virtual class and a reason to get a exspensive computer

i already have a 6 x 11 widescreen tablet so any comp i get needs to be at least a 20 inch widescreen

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    by the way i plan to work my ass off to become a better artist. not only through the college but also doing seedlings tutorials and working my way through any art books i come across that i really think will help me . i have just found a fantastic life drawing book i plan to start working through tomoorow at work . ill post it in an approriate thread

Thanks
    I say pc.

I absolutely cannot stand macs...

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    Expect many informed and totally unbiased opinions like that, Jade'...

Try a search of the forum for computer type, Mac/PC, shit like that, and you'll get a thousand threads full of useful shit mixed in with Techno-Geek blood from the many OS wars here...
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    My school (VCU) is totally Mac based, and I too moved to Mac and have no complaints. I know for the CA atelier they're going PC, so really if I were you, sit down, be realistic about money and so forth, confirm what your comfortable using, check what your school is running on, and go from there. Key thing is getting all the programs you'll need (adobe creative suite, word, so on). Good luck.

- Visions

Thanks
    I work on both a Mac at work and a PC at home. They both have good things about them and things that aren't that great. I think the security issues on the PC is it's biggest Achille's heel. To me it's not so much apples and oranges, as it is red apples and green apples. I mean either platform is just another means to an end. At the end of the day who cares whether it was done on a PC or a Mac. If it were me I would try and get the most with my money, so go to the apple store online and go to dell.com and see what your money will get you. And don't forget to save some money for software. Good Luck!

Thanks
    I have recently made the switch to mac from pc and i'm so much happier for it. I think i'll leave it at that.

Thanks
    If you want a laptop, don't buy PC. Otherwise it's a tossup imo, whatever you're comfortable with- although PCs are much cheaper if you shop at the right places (500$ vs 2500$). On the other hand, PC's depreciate and can be a messy. I guess the question is, how much is your leg-room worth?

Thanks
    heres what i decided to go with i think its a dell xps
    XPS 410:
    Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6700 (4MB L2 Cache,2.66GHz,1066 FSB)
    Operating System:
    Genuine Windows® XP Professional with re-installation CD
    Memory:
    2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz - 2 DIM
    Hard Drive:
    250GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
    CD or DVD Drive:
    Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability
    Monitor:
    20 inch UltraSharp™ 2007WFP Widescreen Digital Flat Panel
    Video Card:
    1GB NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GX2 Dual-GPU Graphics Card
    Sound Cards:
    Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ XtremeMusic (D) Sound Card

for $2730

although im gonna look around , this seems to be the easist route . i thought about a 24 inch widescreen monitor but then i dount ill appreciate the veiw the target audiance has useually around 17 to 20 inch monitor

thanks for everyones input

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jadefoodog
    mac or pc?
    Yes!

Thanks
    what's the difference? Pick the one that is cheaper.... or toss a coin.

Thanks
    the young, dynamic, unpretentious mind will always go for pc.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    If you want to play games at all, get a pc for sure. In terms of performance it seems to me they both act the same, like it's been said it comes down to preference.

Thanks
    Last edited by rorke; December 6th, 2006 at 09:37 AM.
    Who exactly is this minjit you ask?
    Rorke's Sketch Book of Doomy Dooomm!
    I don't want to go mommy...>.< you can't make me!

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”
    --Robert McCloskey quote

Thanks
    heh.. i like that.

anyway, theres pros and cons for both. i used to hate macs with a passion but i used my friends for a while and ill admit.. it grew on me but JUST for the 3 things i used it for.

a mac is great for multi-media stuff and pretty good for graphic work

a pc is much more divers but as you mentioned, more prone to problems.

ideally, itd be smart to have both and dedicate each system to specific tasks.. but realistically most people dont have both. still id suggest a pc. if you're careful [and SMART] you can eliminate most of the hazards that come yuor way anyhow.. and still get much more use out of it.

get a pc - JAG
    it's only after you've lost everything, that you're free to do anything..

Thanks
    I think both systems need to be bitch slapped. We kinda just have to chose the lesser of 2 evils for ourselves until a new system comes out that combines the pros of both systems and leaves the cons in the dust..... BUT since thats not going to be happening at an affordable rate for the average joe in the next 2-5 years it all comes down to your priorities. What do you need your computer to do for you and go from that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rjpn3L3bSJQ&NR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MG_O3Y8JD4&NR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-L-0s-7-Z0&NR

and my fav

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8lW8ndh5BU&NR

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”
    --Robert McCloskey quote

Thanks
    Macs are 5% of the market share, so you dont get many apps, games or other things for it. You also dont get spyware, trojans or other viruses. So its a trade off.

Personally, i like how there are so few games for my mac, because it keeps me productive (since all the essentials are for mac). On a PC i would treat it like a playstation and probably never draw.
    My work: [link]

Thanks
    I say save up and get both he he... but thats just me

--Robert McCloskey quote

Thanks
    you can run windows on the intel macs so get a mac and you do have both.. the hardware is apparantly also not expensive for what you're getting. but whatever.
    tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

Thanks
    keep in mind too.. modifications. i modified the shit out of my pc.. becuase im retarded like that and picky. you cant really mod a mac. you get what you get and thats it. - JAG
    it's only after you've lost everything, that you're free to do anything..

Thanks
    let's also be realistic here.
    students tend to need more software than they can afford.

Thanks
    man, there is basically one advantages to a PC:

1) More games.

and there is basically one advantage to the Mac:

2) Less games.

Being unproductive because of games means that you have weak willpower to do things. Games entertain me, so PC is the way to go for me, apart of it having all the software I would ever need for my design/illustration needs. But I have seen the strength's of the Mac as well, so it really now depends only on your budget. With a PC, you can get a lot more for your money... & 3000 bucks is a lot of money!

later!
    GRiNGoLoCo
    "Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    Well, PC has more support for 3D and special effects applications. Also, more power depending how you build yoour system. Customizing, and building your system with whatever OS you want with ease is also a benefit to PCs. Being able to mod your favorite PC game is a nice benefit as well, especially if you want to be a level designer, texture artist, programmer, or game designer some day.

Thanks
    Most of my art teachers think computers are the devil.
    My New Neglected Sketchbook
    You Ain't no Nina!.....

"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- John Fitzgerald Kennedy
    "My mind is made up. Don't confuse it with facts." -- Terence McKenna

Thanks
    Anyone who says Macs are more secure should think again.

Yes, there are more viruses, trojans and worms for Windows. But if you know what you're doing (to be blunt, you shouldn't use a computer if you don't), you have at the very least a firewall. Unless you're paranoid and don't download/install/run anything at all, you also have an antivirus program. Come to think of it, if you're paranoid you probably have one anyway. This applies to both Windows and Mac (and Linux) users. Why? Simply because if you don't have any protection, you're helpless when someone decides to target your computer and OS. And it's only a matter of time before it happens.

Regarding hardware on Mac vs. PC these days: if you know what hardware is good for a PC, you also know what hardware is good for a Mac. A Mac is a PC - it just happens to come with Mac OS X preinstalled.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pontemonti
    And it's only a matter of time before it happens.
    Right. It makes a bit more sense when you say that PC's are like a big city, and macs are like the suburbs. There is still crime in the suburbs, but really, you're more likely to get mugged walking through the city. You also tend to find a lot more to do in the big city, even though the suburbs have all the essentials to survive.

Can you get mugged in the suburbs? Sure, but the odds are very slim compared to those in the big city.
    My work: [link]

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue
    Right. It makes a bit more sense when you say that PC's are like a big city, and macs are like the suburbs. There is still crime in the suburbs, but really, you're more likely to get mugged walking through the city. You also tend to find a lot more to do in the big city, even though the suburbs have all the essentials to survive.

Can you get mugged in the suburbs? Sure, but the odds are very slim compared to those in the big city.
    Well, yes, that's true. But you're missing the fact that it's possible to protect* yourself against the muggers. If you don't, they will most likely take all the invaluable stuff you're always carrying around (credit cards, passwords to more or less important places, all those paintings you have been working on the last few years, ...).

It's a bit like home insurance. Would you skip it, in order to save some money now, knowing that you can get into all sorts of problems if anything bad happens?

*) Protection would, regardless of platform, be something like firewall + antivirus + regularly scheduled backups.

Thanks
    Real men build their own computers like phone phreaks.

Thanks
    go wahtever your comfortable with what you can prtotect and whatever will give you a good production workflow. You dont want something thats cumbersome. Personally the OSx gui is very intuitive for me but alot of other people have diffrent preferences, it looks like youve made your choice and hopefully its the stuff your most familiar with.
    Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Thanks
    im with tensai - im buying a mac intel duo core laptop and installing windows onto it. ive been looking for a pc laptop with all the hardware that Macs have for the design and the price and i dont think they exist. so, pretty, powerful mac without the annoying-as-hell apple interface? in black? fuck yes, why thank you, i think ill take one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.