Newbi
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Newbi

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Newbi

Hello,

Im very new to this forum (watching it for 2 weeks now), but im facsinated by the quality and quantity of the good work and the sometimes really helpfull advices from some people.

I could post some recent work of mine now as a introduction of my not-so-good skillZ, but i have no scanner and so this may can take a while till i get one into my hands.

The reason im writing is a general question on what to concentrate when i want to do a "anime" like short movie with a bunch of people. What to practise, where to keep focus on and also what software and Hardware i could use,

Also i would be interested in how to do the planning and coordinating of that project, as im really serious with that.

I already got the main material for a animators/light desk and a very good digital phozo-camera to borrow.

I will build up a project site quite soon, but there isnt much or even nothing to show yet.

Any help or suggestions are very welcome.

-Ondrej-

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i dont' think this belongs in work in progress.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, the name of the forum is WORK IN PROGRESS & HELP, and since Sam is asking a question, seems like the right place to me... now I realise the forum was probably intended for the help to be on the WIPs posted, but then, maybe the forum title should be "Work in Progress Help", or "Help for WIP". Either that, or there should be a sticky "rules" thread at the top of each forum outlining what can be posted there.

Sorry Ondrej, I'm not a professional, and have no answers for you, but hopefully someone else will have some information and advice.

Fozzybar is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    adien...the work in progress AND help forum is in the ARTWORKS section by the way...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm.. true Fozzybar, but then where should this be posted? in "General Forums -> Lounge"? that's not very intuitive, especially since his question is about artwork and not a general topic. In "Education & Learning"? well, that would make more sense, except that there are no forums there for general art questions either. In "Activities and Dailies"? No i think that would be worse than posting in Artworks. that's very obviously for daily works done by members.

I posted a question in "Life Drawing, Learning, Techniques and Tutorials" awhile back about how artists hold their pencil while drawing ( here ), as i saw some recommended techniques that didn't make sense to me at the time. I looked for a better place, didn't find one, and got good results from posting there. i suppose this post could be better off in that forum, but then it still has the same problem, being in "ARTWORKS". so! i'd really like to know where general art questions should be posted, since i'm sure i will have more in the near future.

Ondrej, sorry your thread is turning into a bit of a debate without any useful information being given to you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *rant* alert ...

either anwer the guy's question or don't reply. Like Fozzybear said.

-- sorry that i can't be of direct help,. but i understand you want to do an anime movie with REAL cell animation?

That's what i call guts!

Good luck. And i think most of the stuff you need can be found in various books on walt disney (i mean the camera technique and cells and stuff) and warner bros cartoons.

E.

Power is nothing without intelligence.

Sketchbook!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

hehe

hey thanks erik ->"Guts"

well actually the project has now about 5 members (3 drawers, 1 writer, 1 -what i want to call- dramaturgical assistant)

An animators desk will be installed soon and i have a very good digital camera on hand.
    Backgrounds should be drawn in acrylics(in my case) or anything the drawer likes best.

Every drawer will draw his set of characters.

Only problem to me before i reallsy can start it of is the software side. I don't know yet what programs to use and in wich case.

Any help is very apreciated. Also if someone lives near me(Leipzig, Germany) and wants to join, don't wait and wirte me an e-mail. We can need any help or advices we can get.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello again.

I'm glad to say that the technical problems for this project are solved. I have a very spartanic light desk (a cut out ply wood panel with plastic glass and a round neon light under it) but it does the job pretty well. I also done some test animations.
    I have a scanner now and I know wich software to use: Photoshop, After Effects and 3dsmax.

The serious work on the project will begin in march

My "team" dissapeard. If there is nothing to show, then they aren't motivated. I have to get them back by showing them some results.

And I literaly ate the book: "The animtors survival Kit"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I used to have a book about this type of thing. It gave a bunch of cool info on the subject. I wish I could find it. If I do, i"ll give you the name of it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that would be great Anarchy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've given up looking through the piles of rubble in my room, but while looking at this animation professor's art site, I found this. John Clapp's Bookstore

There is a section towards the bottom with books about animation and storytelling. This guy is a professor on animation so I think he would suggest good books.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bookmarked!

Thank you. I hope to buy another book on animation soon. I did read several opinions about the different "big" animaiton books on the market and I want to get as much good input as possible.
    I would be interested in the cell shading process and background painting/drawing technique of jap. animes also.
    I think they have a different way to step to animation then the cartoon like animators as the ones from disney.
    The cartoons are very fluid and use many optical tricks but the animes sometimes even stiff, are much more realistic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here's a really good book that I been meaning to buy for awhile but I'd have to get it online:
    Animator's Survival Guide

oh yeah and don't forget these gems!
    MUYBRIDGE look for his stuff!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by JackalAnubis
    here's a really good book that I been meaning to buy for awhile but I'd have to get it online:
    Animator's Survival Guide
    --> that's the book I got also. It's amazing.
    Is there Muybridge footage with acceptable resolutio on the net?

Thank you very much.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dunno, you can look. My college library has books on him, so I'm sure you can get one somewhere......

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last edited by Idiot; February 5th, 2004 at 10:25 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy canceled project

I canceled this animation project for good.

No more members and not enough patience, time and skills.
    Instead I tinker around with short animations in flash and some pencil tests.

There is still alot to learn before doing some serious animation.

It is also very time consuming.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ya... doing a full blown animation right off the bat with not that much knowledge about animation is pretty toughs... Start off with some flash animation while drawing on the side, a lot. Draw humans, and how they move and look through the tutorial and life drawing section for books and links and pretty much knowledge of the body in motion. Gotta know a lot.

"Do the best that you wanna do." -My personal quote.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35829

Sketchbook Thread. Look at it, rate it, post and crit on it.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.