Thread: C.O.W. - #070: Snowflake Dancer

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jadefoodog
    i lovvvvvveeeeeeeeeeee this . period

Why thank you

- Artemis Kolakis -

mr-nick is offline see, mr. indicates that I even have hair on my little toe Level 1 Gladiator: Andabatae
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cow snowflake prancer

The Snowflake Dancers (also know a the cloud titans) are supposed to be the source of all snow on our world. It is said that their hooves scrape the clouds themselves during their season long dances, and thus create snow. Snow spend their centuries long lives amongst the clouds, but persistant rumours place them also on the highest peaks of Tibet, and even the lowlands of Norway. The greatest mystery of all perhaps, surounding these creatures, is that modern sience has still failed to prove that these 30 metre giants excist.

cheers,

Nick

Last edited by mr-nick; December 12th, 2006 at 07:32 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    darn deviantart posts....always have a heck of a time seein' them.

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "i" in meat pie. Meat is the anagram of team...~Shaun "Shaun of the Dead"
    http://www.cognitionstudio.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Snow Serpents. a.k.a. the snowflake dancer
    These mischievous creatures are often called "snowflake dancers" because they only appear during snowfalls, and typically are the size of small cats. They are a form of water elemental, that materialize from the snow. They have no functional purpose, and actually pester anyone they can during their limited time during the snowy periods. Often the cause of missing items, extinguishing lanterns, and misleading innocent individuals caught in the snow.

Last edited by misledtomisery; December 12th, 2006 at 07:51 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My First Ever Entry

Hi everyone. This will be my first submission ever on this excellent site.
    I have followed a lot of the work for the past year on this site and now have finally worked up a nerve to try and enter.

I know it is nothing special. But I tried to keep my piece to a standard, so I hope you at least like what I have done. Thanks..

The Snowflake Dancer Spider
    This beautiful specimen is only found in the coldest regions around the globe. This arachnid is given the name Snowflake Dancer because firstly, its obvious markings on it's rear and secondly, when attracting prey, the spider will seduce it's victim by means of "dance". The seductive dance draws the prey nearer and nearer, until finally, the victim is in reach, then - STRIKE!

Last edited by mattbyng; December 8th, 2006 at 09:57 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In the frigid methane blizzards of Saturn's moon Titan lives the frigus peregrinus, or frigid wanderer. When scientists first discovered the frigid wanderer they nick-named it the snowflake, or snow dancer because of it's strange oscillating gait across the frozen landscape.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JFWAlls. Best so far dude!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ikuru: Thanks! Of course we'll have to see what creatures crawl out of the cold on Tuesday.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JFwalls: Yeah indeed, pretty sure one of the big guns will drop something, I too got a litle creature up my sleeve... Will try and render it fast so that I can dig in to that big history project (school vrs noscool). Good luck there BTW. (this thread is way more friendly than that one. Some of this threads tend to get kind of noisy, but the vibe in this COW ones is verry cool.)

Last edited by ikuru; December 9th, 2006 at 04:11 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dude, jfwalls, i love your concept. I am digging the world in which that creature lives.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, thanks guys. I've been reading a lot of space exploration stuff lately, and really wanted to make this creature from a place without "normal" snow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JF: I am really glad someone thought to do a critter on Titan. I love the idea that there might be life on some of those moons out there. Not terribly likely, but some of them have some pretty weird geological attributes and ways of interacting with their planets that make them a bit warmer in places than we all originally thought. The orange sky with the snow is nice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks MJ. Yeah, the moons of Saturn and Jupiter are incredible. I had just read an article a week or two ago about Titan, and was reminded of it's fantastic environment. I then found an image from the Huygen's probe that actually landed there, and that's where I got the color scheme from.

I would've loved to do Europa, but I think anything there would be under the ice. Although maybe something that came out in a geyser would be cool.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

SO sorry, I'd forgotten to post, cause yesterday I was celebrating my birthday!

SNOWFLAKE DANCER: The friezibranch

This delicate, frosted creature derives its sustenence from the micronutrients in the snowflake it hatches on. Its short life begins within the innards of a cloud, as the eggs laid on grounded snow melt, are carried into the ocean, and absorbed into miniscule droplets which become clouds and mist. The eggs remain dormant until the temperature drops below freezing, and the moisture hardens and crystallizes. Then, on its descent to the ground, the friezebranch lives out its short life. If it is very lucky, it will collide with another of its kind on its journey downward, and mate. Upon impact, if the creature hasn't found a suitable mate, it has a very short period of time to do so and lay its eggs before the snow melts.

Last edited by Sapphire; December 11th, 2006 at 11:31 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oooh, I love the submissions so far! I'm working hard on mine, the picture I have up now won't be the same one for the final (because it sucks so bad)

Anyway!

Sweed- I love the jellyfish in the arctic sea idea, it's really cool. I can't wait to see your final. I'm really digging the snowflake patterns on its hood.

Michael Jaecks- Wow, you just updated that a half hour ago! The extra detail you added is lookin' good. I got confused at first when looking a the creature's legs, but after reading the concept I got a better understanding of what was going on.

AyaXiac- That's awesome, he looks so fierce! Definitely not the delicate, graceful creature that some would imagine.

Leiana- It's a cool concept but the picture doesn't seem developed enough, it lacks depth. Maybe adding more definition to the creature or making it stand out from the background would be a good thing to keep in mind.

Redhelert- That thing is scary yet awesome...that's all I have to say XD

Destinatus- It's a good start, of course it's only still a sketch so I'll wait

Kovah- I almost did not see that it had two wings, maybe you should add the second arm in the back. The creature reminds me of neopets, hahaa. It is cute, but you should try to make the design more dynamic.

chaosrocks- Ooo paint! (Is it oil?) Not something you see around here often. The design is very elegant, not very dynamic, but elegant and pretty. It looks like a normal bird, but if you decide to update it, then ignore me.

misledtomisery- The dragon looks cool so far, I like the style that you have. I know it's a rough but the colors bother me. I'm sure you'll make it look awesome anyway.

mattbyng- Ohh it's your first entry too! The creature is also not very dynamic, but it's a cool concept.

jfwalls- This creature is awesome! I love the environment he is in and the orange sky is a really nice touch. Awesome detail ^^

Sapphire- This is so interesting, it's a good start but a little confusing..

chaosrocks is offline Environment of the Week Leader Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it is a pretty normal bird, but it doesn't actually exist in the real world...it is oil,
    but there you have it
    it is what it is.. Foz can throw it out if he likes

thanks for looking and commenting
    chaos

Last edited by chaosrocks; December 11th, 2006 at 06:06 PM.
    To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wonder is SV gonne post something mean tomorow? Hmmm...

nice uppdate MJ.

Last edited by ikuru; December 11th, 2006 at 07:14 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by chaosrocks
    it is a pretty normal bird, but it doesn't actually exist in the real world...it is oil,
    but there you have it
    it is what it is.. Foz can throw it out if he likes

thanks for looking and commenting
    chaos
    Oh I'm sure he isn't going to throw it out, it is good!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    updated entry...think this is gonna have to do it for this week.

cheers,
    dave

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "i" in meat pie. Meat is the anagram of team...~Shaun "Shaun of the Dead"
    http://www.cognitionstudio.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    redehlert, thats really funny,

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good luck.

My site:
    http://thecentersphere.yolasite.com/

DA:
    http://halfshavenbananas.deviantart.com/

New World Creation: Designers Wanted Environment of the Week

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Snowflake Dancer is probably the smallest bird species in the world. It is about 3-5mm long. He didn't fly but he is good jumper.
    When the first snowflakes appears in the sky he starts his mating.
    He hoops from leaf to grass blade to get as high as possible (which is about 10mc from ground)
    Then he nose-dive trying to impale as many snowflakes as he can (on his neck)
    Snowflake Dancer females are picking out their partners depending on numbers and size of snowflakes that males can catch.
    Of course snowflakes are melting very fast, so they have little time to unite

PS: This is my first contribution for COW ever.
    PS2: Sorry for my English.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

been away almost a year...

Lot of first time COWs this week, so I thought I would join in.

Don't forget to visit my sketchbook and see what's new at www.neil.melville.ws
    I'll sting you real bad with my stingery thing if you forget, and then you will be so sad!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wasp

On stilts of flesh, an inverted waltz
    So strides the snowflake dancer!

Last edited by Obson; December 11th, 2006 at 10:53 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Evui: Thanks for the comment! Yeah, I know it's confusing. Unfortunately, I didn't have the time to finish that I wanted. I'm going to rework it later.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    walachnia, not bad maan!

So here is my WIP... Will finnish this tonight.

chaosrocks is offline Environment of the Week Leader Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Watch the humanoidness peoples.. Foz can be a stickler... in his own sweet Fuzzy way...

Obson... the bilateralness and clothing could get you rejected
    Ikiru.... This is a character...not really a cow......

just a word to the wise
    chaos

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by chaosrocks
    Watch the humanoidness peoples.. Foz can be a stickler... in his own sweet Fuzzy way...

Ikiru.... This is a character...not really a cow......

just a word to the wise
    chaos
    No, no, what makes you say that? It is well rendered, has four leggs and is really sexy. All that´s required for a cow. I promise Fozz will love it. not to worry, I will just render the upper lipp a bit more and then Im done, my best work ever.
    And Hey! My name Is not Ikiru!

Last edited by ikuru; December 12th, 2006 at 06:54 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Gonjo/Snowflake Dancer

When the snow starts to fall the fireflies come out to feed on micro bacteria that inhabit the high latitude snowflakes. That’s also when the Gonjo comes out to hunt. They live entirely on fireflies during the cold winter and the hunt is absolutely essential for their survival. The nick name “Snowflake dancer” refers to the gracious, kung fu looking moves they perform during the hunt.

This creature was discovered on a recent expedition in the largely unexplored territory of New Guinea’s Foja Mountain, the scientists discovered a “lost world” of species including four new butterfly species, five new froglike species and this remarkable specimen that they now call Gonjo or simply “the Snowflake Dancer”.

/D

Last edited by ikuru; December 12th, 2006 at 06:09 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.