CHOW #52 - VOTING - Guest Host: xgabo. Topic: Vampire Hunter Elvis Impersonator

View testimonialsView Artwork

View Poll Results: Choose your chowracter

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • CHOW #52 - VOTING - Guest Host: xgabo. Topic: Vampire Hunter Elvis Impersonator Phuzion

34 46.58%
  • CHOW #52 - VOTING - Guest Host: xgabo. Topic: Vampire Hunter Elvis Impersonator Ayaxiac

6 8.22%
  • CHOW #52 - VOTING - Guest Host: xgabo. Topic: Vampire Hunter Elvis Impersonator woodlandwalker

1 1.37%
  • CHOW #52 - VOTING - Guest Host: xgabo. Topic: Vampire Hunter Elvis Impersonator VampireNinja

2 2.74%
  • CHOW #52 - VOTING - Guest Host: xgabo. Topic: Vampire Hunter Elvis Impersonator Fuurikou

0 0%
  • CHOW #52 - VOTING - Guest Host: xgabo. Topic: Vampire Hunter Elvis Impersonator dragon4lunch

3 4.11%
  • CHOW #52 - VOTING - Guest Host: xgabo. Topic: Vampire Hunter Elvis Impersonator GorgothofSuburbia

2 2.74%
  • CHOW #52 - VOTING - Guest Host: xgabo. Topic: Vampire Hunter Elvis Impersonator Radunz

23 31.51%
  • CHOW #52 - VOTING - Guest Host: xgabo. Topic: Vampire Hunter Elvis Impersonator cognitionsb

1 1.37%
  • CHOW #52 - VOTING - Guest Host: xgabo. Topic: Vampire Hunter Elvis Impersonator chuckmate

8 10.96%
  • CHOW #52 - VOTING - Guest Host: xgabo. Topic: Vampire Hunter Elvis Impersonator xgabo

24 32.88%
  • CHOW #52 - VOTING - Guest Host: xgabo. Topic: Vampire Hunter Elvis Impersonator clique

0 0%
  • CHOW #52 - VOTING - Guest Host: xgabo. Topic: Vampire Hunter Elvis Impersonator csteingart

1 1.37%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Choose your CHOWracter!
    Like CHOW? Support This Site. Buy your T-Shirt

Vampire Hunter Elvis Impersonator

- Here we are, at CHOW #52.
    Thanks to Xgabo for being out great host!
    This is his topic.
    His choices - he will post his comments and justify his calls. rrright?

Topic elements:

1 = Use EOW.
    2 = Vampire Hunter.
    3 = Elvis Impersonator.

Make sure your picture contains these - you will receive 3 VOTES for each topic covered.

POLL RULES
    (for the new people)
    NOT ALL ENTRIES ARE TAKEN TO THE POLL.
    (the selection is based on technical quality criteria)
    ENTRIES NOT POLLED WILL RECEIVE C&C
    (i really try to do this every time)
    IT IS A DIFFICULT PROCESS - MISTAKES CAN BE MADE
    I am trying to set this as a professional demand. I act as the client...
    Oblio is always looking for feedback - If Oblio is wrong - tell him so.
    DON'T VOTE FOR YOURSELF

ROUND COMMENTS:
    Seems like CA people love some fun but scat when a challenge is a bit bigger.
    Anyway.. some interesting entries in the round.

Thank you all for using EOW pieces.

Sory for the delay in the poll - i didnt had net in the last 20 hours of being in flights and airports . I just got to SF and here you go.

For the ones that will come to INSOMNIA _ see you there. If you ever been in a CHOW - come and say hello.

NEW PEOPLE HAVE JOINED - Thank you for choosing CHOW.
    Also.. the people with the 1st post on CA - lose your artistic virginity on CHOW... first love.. is always the best.

DON'T FORGET YOUR PRIZE! THE WINNER OF THIS ROUND WILL SELECT THE TOPIC OF THE NEXT ONE!

And will assist me in selecting the entries for the poll. In one week we'll have a new client.Vote him now

Hourrrray for the winner: Phuzion.
    Great entry:

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Oblio; January 9th, 2007 at 01:33 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool topic again (3 in a row!!!) count me in.

edit: initial thumbs: going to do a lady elvis impersonator: fun fun!! These are super rough: just very initial ideas

edit: next phase of thumbs

ok heres final workins out on to the final piece!

Last edited by cakeypigdog; December 7th, 2006 at 02:00 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like this topic a lot, but I'm not really supportive of HAVING to use a EOW piece from the last challenge, only because there are all of 4 pieces or so to use, none of which are close to being complete. I can't see one of AndrewLey, Chuck.Mate, or Trevor's characters in any of the current environments. No offense to the EODubb, you guys produce some stellar work, it's just the collab challenge didn't get much turn out, and as I said, none of them are finished enough to stick a character in. So therein lies the dilemma... no EODubb turnout, which means there is all of one almost done piece to choose from, which means no variety in CHOW, which will probably mean very little CHOW turnout... I don't want to upset or offend anyone, just calling a spade a spade. This is a cool topic and I'd hate to see it wasted.

Okay, onto some sketchitty WIPs... I'm still trying to find that balance between Elvisness and sexiness and badassness... workin' on it, workin' on it...

CHOW #52 - VOTING - Guest Host: xgabo. Topic: Vampire Hunter Elvis Impersonator CHOW #52 - VOTING - Guest Host: xgabo. Topic: Vampire Hunter Elvis Impersonator

CHOW #52 - VOTING - Guest Host: xgabo. Topic: Vampire Hunter Elvis Impersonator CHOW #52 - VOTING - Guest Host: xgabo. Topic: Vampire Hunter Elvis Impersonator

That's all for tonight I think... more to come!!

UPDATE:
    I also went with the younger Elvis. He was way cooler and had the cowboy thing going on, which is just way the f#@k more fun imo. Anywho, here's a quick color start. I might do more tonight, but I doubt it. I also sketched up a background, but I haven't scanned it or anything, so that'll have to wait 'til tomorrow. Character description will also appear soon

Good stuff so far!

UPDATE: Character description--

Elvis Presley was one of the elite Vampire Hunters that kept us safe from the Prince of Darkness and his cronies, but when Dracula finally killed the King, Elvis passed his powers on to his illegitimate daughter, Jamaica. She was only a child at the time, and when her father was killed, she was taken in by one of his best friends, and the best Vampire Hunter in the world. The Man in Black himself, Johnny Cash. Alas, he too could no longer withstand the powers of the Dark Prince. When Cash was slain, Jamaica set out for vengance with her great grandfather's old Winchester rifle and his 1875 Army issue Colt 45 Peacemaker. She hand made special bullets for the bastard bloodsucker. While silver bullets are enough to stop a werewolf and lesser demons, they're not enough for a Vampire. But you add some diamond powder to the mix, well then you've got a bloodsucker's demise. Keeping her father's spirit alive, Jamaica is the only true Elvis Impersonator, and the best Vampire Hunter in the biz. Dracula keeps the skulls of his foes above his throne, embedded in the wall, but two of those skulls belong to Jamaica, and she wants them back...

Last edited by Phuzion; December 8th, 2006 at 03:41 AM.
    www.ArtDL.com

CA Sketchbooks:
    Members exclusive party:
    Phuzion's V.I.P. Lounge

Public fun:
    Phuzion Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, since people have spoken, and I have to make a call to make this thing happen, here's the idea:

I made a fresh environment (related to the theme) to inspire people to try the EOW/Chow combo. you are free to change it, improve it etc, and integrate your creations to it. if you prefer to use any of the other environments posted at EOW, go for it. It will be a great excercise. If you have time, you can also create your own environment related to the theme and post at EOW for you and other chow people to use.

If you prefer to create your character without the EOW environments or your own, go for it! I prefer to see the crazy designs you guys come up without a background than not seeing them at all. But as an incentive for people who use the environments, they will have the 3 votes for following all 3 points of the brief, while people who don't use any environments only get 2.

Sounds good?

Here's the Environment I created:

"Disgraceland"

Look foward seeing your stuff!

Last edited by xgabo; December 5th, 2006 at 12:35 PM.
    Gabriel Frizzera
    www.gabo.ca

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mmm this looks fun, I think I'll give it a try!

Alright, I decided to use one of the BGs from EOW, I always like collaboration work! Got a messy WIP started for anyone whos interested...

Heres my Elvis and his... guitar... axe....

Updated:

Last edited by AyaXiac; December 9th, 2006 at 05:04 AM.
    - Artemis Kolakis -

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Once a humble impersonator paying homage to his idol, now a sworn freedom fighter taking up arms in the name of Rock. The King may live forever... but one thing is for certain... the Vampiric horde that has infested and destroyed his homeland won’t be!

Last edited by Woodlandwalker; December 8th, 2006 at 09:33 AM.
    Drawing is the honesty of the art. There is no possiblity of cheating. it is either good or bad. ~ Dali

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my 1.5 cents
    damn pngs..ergh

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, this is my work in progress... but I am sort of stuck...
    Still have`t decided the pose for the legs.

Last edited by Paolo13; December 6th, 2006 at 03:08 PM.
    CA_Sketchbook
    Gray Zone Portfolio
    Paolo13 on FB

"As a concept artist, it is not the question that is important, it is the unexpected answer" William B Hand

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work so far guys!

Here's a little face study I did this afternoon:

Cheers

Gabriel Frizzera
    www.gabo.ca

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

help!

thanks for the help, i think that this is better, but i think that i have a long way to go.CHOW #52 - VOTING - Guest Host: xgabo. Topic: Vampire Hunter Elvis Impersonator

Last edited by Jjod27; December 10th, 2006 at 02:52 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All I have to say about the topic this week is F*** YEAH! Vamipre Hunter, count me in. I spent my school day today working on this piece. Cranked it out in about 5 hours or so.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK, I'll play in this one too.

(Two weeks in a row with topics too cool to ignore)

-Fuu

edit: Madhatter- Not me, I'm going for the Jailhouse rock-era young badass elvis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

This is Vampire Hunter B. B is for babe

She is in a futuristic sci-fi world - firing rapid action silver bullets at scary vampire monster robots. Uhhh, just thought of an idea for a new topic - robotic vampires... Anyhow, hope you like her. Still am going to polish the gun and the backview somewhat.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi everyone, this is the first time that join this activity, so if i do something wrong pls tell me. This is some of my sketches for this character :

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well here it goes. Hope you guys like it.
    Many fled Las Vegas when it was overtaken by vampires, but not Bob Bungerschultz. A former Elvis impersonator, Bobs love for the King is as strong as his hatred of vapiric scum. With weaponry salveged from Area 51, Bob roams the undead city streets of Vegas exacting revenge with his nuclear powered 'sun gun' and ultrasonic guitar, 'Priscilla'. Bob is also a liscenced Minister. Once using his divine power to marry tourists, now he brings down holy wrath on the evil that has infected his home.

Last edited by Radunz; December 9th, 2006 at 05:25 AM.
    Check out my portfolio!---> mattradunz.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Impersonator

Orlock the vampire got up one night and for a little midnight snack. So he got out of his crypt and ventured towards the village. It was a dark and foggy night, perfect conditions for hunting mortals. But almost as soon as he got out of the crypt, he could see a man a few hundred feet down the road. He could even hear the man singing with a deep, baritone voice. "...wish I was in the land of cotton..." Orlock immediately recognised the song. "Ah, so it will be an Elvis fan that i will feed on tonight". The vampire decided to sneak up slowly on his victim. The man seemed to be unaware of the vampire's presence, for he stood with his back turned to the vampire and continued singing the song calmly. But as the vampire came closer, it seemed like the man's voice became softer and lighter, sort of like that of a youth. "...look away, look away Dixieland..." The vampire started wondering if he had heard wrong, but he went onwards nonetheless. the vampire was only twenty feet away from his prey now. He snuck in closer and closer, creeping slowly so he would'nt be noticed. but as he went, the singing voice just seemed to grow lighter and lighter. "...his truth is marching on..." When the vampire was seven feet away from the man, he stopped. "This isn't a man at all" he thought. The person stood with its back to the vampire still, and its voice was now that of a five year old girl. "...you know your daddy's bound to die..." For the first time in his life, Orlock was genuinly afraid. He wanted to turn away and run, but he could'nt. He could'nt free himself of the person's hypnotising song. Suddenly the person stopped singing. Orlock was so scared he wanted to cry. Then the person started to giggle hysterically with a baby's voice as it began to turn around. Orlock's heart stopped as he was greeted by the wide, inhuman grin of the Impersonator.

I just felt like making a character that was completely different from the rest of the impersonators. Hence mr. Knives-for-arms. I may or may not make some minor edits to the image before deadline.

Oh, and Radunz, you rule!

PS. Does anyone know how to paint curved knives? Mine never seem to be straight and sharp enough.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update sketch for my work. I think the big one is cooler so i picked him and develop more :

The big thing behind his back is the cross. Cause i think he is a vampire hunter so he need the cross to do the final killing to the vampires.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's a shame, Phuzion - it's an awesome character, love the pose.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    did this quick sketch:

but people here are bombarding with some awesome works,
    so... i don`t know.
    i`ll try and finish it. (today`s the deadline, right?....crap.)

We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.
    -Bill Hicks

Sketchbook Old SketchBook Portfolio GorillaArtFare

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

You ain't nothing but a Hellhound

I always dreamt about being a rock star since I was a kid. When that dream inevitably didn't go anywhere, I started gravitating around the less glamourous areas of show business where I could make some money. I always loved Elvis Presley, and people often said I looked a little like him (even being of Japanese descent), so I eventually became an impersonator, performing at local bars three times a week. How I became a vampire hunter, that's a more complicated story and, needless to say, it involved a woman. I'll spare you from the sordid details. It didn't go very well with her, but I learned a new trade.

The fact is, soon I was balancing both jobs, one that gave me pleasure and another that payed the bills. I worked long hours, and many times I crashed in bed still wearing my "68 Comeback Special" full black leather suit, covered with some sucker's blood. I started wearing that outfit on purpose for my missions (it provided me with camouflage at night and it looked very cool). I liked to imagine that Elvis himself would be a good vampire hunter. Wherever he was, he definitely would approve what I was doing.

That is, until I learned he was a blood-sucker himself, and a big one too.

Learning the truth was a shock to me. Apparently Elvis was converted in 1968 by a vampire under the orders of the Colonel, who wanted to infuse Elvis with supernatural strenght to withstand his increasingly gruesome performance schedule. After almost a month of hybernation, Elvis reemerged as a vampire. To commemorate, he did the "Comeback (from the dead) TV Special".

But soon Elvis became uncontrolable as a creature of the night. He enjoyed a little too much the blood-sucking and became bloated like a mosquito after dinner. It was impossible to hide his condition anymore, so a "death" was staged. Elvis was taken to his secret estate in Nevada (ironically dubbed "Disgraceland"), where he still lives and indulges in his insatiable hunger. He has special taste for celebrity blood, and dead tv personalities and rock stars are shipped to him monthly (some say reality shows like "Survivor" were created to generate quick celebrities for him to feast upon).

It all made sense now to me. That creature wearing white jumpsuits and gold chains was just a mockery of the king, created by evil powers of music management. From that moment on I knew that our paths would cross one day, and as much as I dreaded having to confront what was left of my childhood idol, I would have to make sure that, once and for all, ELVIS WAS DEAD.

Last edited by xgabo; December 10th, 2006 at 01:33 PM.
    Gabriel Frizzera
    www.gabo.ca

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Radunz and Xgabo, they are very cool, Gorgoth yours is disturbing...
    Since I was talking about things I hate, someting else I hate is when you have been working so long on your own picture you forget what other peoples entries will look like so you think yours is good then you go to CA to post is and then you die in the realisation that yours is comparatively crap anyway:

"As Elvis Pretzel (>.>) walked through the dark ruins of corridoors in Disgraceland he could sense the creatures lurking in the shadows, then with a flash of his holy light they were no-more"

*sigh* I always sucked at english as school, I was going to draw a vampire(s) blowing up or something in the foreground but that suppasted my current drawing ability.
    Well at least the lights cool...

Last edited by Cique; December 10th, 2006 at 05:48 PM.
    mmm... tastes like chicken.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Threw down to get it done, bout 2 hrs, read about the enviro when I was about to post my final entry, doh, luckily, glogg's enviro fit right in (thanx =)). -c

Last edited by csteingart; December 11th, 2006 at 12:17 AM.
    chris steingart

ca sketchbook 2
    blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Late, but wanted to show you guys...

I know I didn't get to finish mine (what happened to the original thread?) in time to reach the poll, but I also think it got missed (I just had a link, not an img tag set up, so it wasnt loading on screen... ) . Either way, I thought I'd post it to at least get some feedback...

if this isn't appropriate, PLEASE do let me know and I'll come right back here and edit my post and take it off asap.

Thanks everyone, hope I can make the cut on the next one, these CHOW things are loads of fun for the noodles in the noggin!

thedarkcloak website & gallery
    The ZOMBIE ZODIAC!
    My DA page

My Conceptarts.org work thread - needs updating soon!

And remember kids! I am not flesh, nor stone or smoke... I am as I am, I am thedarkcloak. BREAK YO SELF, FOO!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thats cool the dark cloak, I voted for Phuzion, Radunz and Chuckmate, though I think I liked Radunz's the most as I like the actioness and the sun gun, I refrained from voting for myself... not that I would do that anyway, you spelled my name wrong btw

mmm... tastes like chicken.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    me vote went to XGABO. a great illustration, almost too good.
    the characters are awesomely done, their pose and attitude are superb,
    and the design is very cool. everything works great in your piece, man.
    the BG accolade the figures, and vice versa.
    I also enjoy the little nuance there, of an "Elvis when he started" hunter,
    Versus an "Elvis where he ended up" vampire.... very subtle and funny.

this was a hard decision, since i also enjoyed Radunz piece, with a very dynamic scene, a gorgeous character design and some good colors, that works well with the BG.

other FAVs who i liked alot:
    Phuzion,dragon4lunch, and thedarkcloak.

We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.
    -Bill Hicks

Sketchbook Old SketchBook Portfolio GorillaArtFare

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for Xgabo, most powerfull pic imo. Even though I though Elvis was supposed to be the hunted.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vote for me people! Where's da luv?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon4lunch
    hey at least you got the obligatory Oblio vote! hehe...

Radunz got mine... great details, and it incorporated one of the required backgrounds!!!

Xgabo great as always... would have voted for ya, but didnt seem fair as it was your background/contest hehe

Drawing is the honesty of the art. There is no possiblity of cheating. it is either good or bad. ~ Dali

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Cique
    thats cool the dark cloak, I voted for Phuzion, Radunz and Chuckmate, though I think I liked Radunz's the most as I like the actioness and the sun gun, I refrained from voting for myself... not that I would do that anyway, you spelled my name wrong btw
    Thanks alot, Cique! Yeah, I really liked Radunz' too. It's action packed and made me laugh and wow all at once when I first ran across it.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon4lunch
    Heh, somehow yours brings back memories of the ol' Quake III days. I mean that in a good way too.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck,mate.
    other FAVs who i liked alot:
    Phuzion,dragon4lunch, and thedarkcloak.
    Thanks CM! I appreciate it!

Last edited by thedarkcloak; December 13th, 2006 at 12:23 PM.
    thedarkcloak website & gallery
    The ZOMBIE ZODIAC!
    My DA page

My Conceptarts.org work thread - needs updating soon!

And remember kids! I am not flesh, nor stone or smoke... I am as I am, I am thedarkcloak. BREAK YO SELF, FOO!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.