Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: boobs

Thanks

boobs

cops cops cops
    Last edited by j a k e; August 20th, 2010 at 09:34 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    My friend introduces this site to people saying 'yeah, it's all a bunch of people who take their sketches, scan them, and paint them in photoshop'

not as bad as your experience, but it get's on my nerves a bit, as he thinks it's that easy...

Thanks
    There is definitely a stigma attached to digital artwork, mostly because every dickhead in high school downloads a copy of PS and figures out how to make their name look totally bitchin' with the plastic wrap filter. To many people, there is no difference between clip art, filtered photographs, and a well crafted and original piece of artwork. They want something palpable to give you a congratulatory "hey, nice art buddy!".

Really, for the most part, these are the people that could really give two shits about art and what it takes to make it. If they aren't impressed by you hard work fuck 'em, you did it for yourself anyway. There is a point where we all realize that what we do isn't so special to everyone else, but every once in a while you'll connect with someone who does appreciate your methods of working and more importantly the art itself.

Thanks
    On one of the gaming art groups I subscribe to, one of the current bigger names wanted to announce that he was making a site to promote the traditional arts. In my opinion, he was VERY biased against doing anything digitally (in one sentence, he used the term pros versus digital).
    Obviously that set off a big debate.

but the jist of it is. A computer IS only a tool. if you can't paint/draw, a computer won't really help.

It IS easier to create things on the computer, no doubt.
    (for the simple sake, no clean up, no prep, not drying/fixing..., erasing is easier, undos). But the elements of design are still needed...

britt

Thanks
    I get that one from time to time usually from traditional artists who are having their domain encroached upon, but the one that is really annoying goes like this:

'Whoa where did you get that pic?'

- 'I made it'

'Haha no seriously where's it from?'

My work isn't terribly good but some people won't even give me that much credit. It's called being multidisciplinary... Or else I guess they are conditioned with the belief that art is always done by 'someone else', because I mean hey we're all fucking consumers right? How ludicrous is the thought of making something instead of just being fed stimulation?

More disturbing is the idea that anything done digitally involves simply butchering other peoples' work into forum signatures or something. Indeed entire communities have sprung up around the misconception. The idea that digital does not entail creation but instead reconstitution as a cornerstone of all of the techniques at a digital artist's disposal, and that the ultimate goal is simply a high-tech photomontage.

Buh.
    Last edited by Snarfevs; December 4th, 2006 at 02:02 AM.

Thanks
    The only time I remember experiencing something close to that was several months ago when I first started doing digital art. I was excited about a picture I'd just made, my first digital piece, and my mom said something to the effect of "I prefer it when you do the work, not the computer." A little bit annoyed, I had to tell her that I still have to choose the colors and choose where I place my marks and what my composition is going to be and what the hell I'm even painting. Not in those exact words, of course. She's my mom, after all.
    It really aggitates me when people think that digital art is somehow inferior to traditional work, or that it isn't even art at all. It's so ignorant to think that. People seem to have the funny idea that digital art is like a calculator: you just punch in a few numbers and the computer does all the work. Needless to say, that isn't so.
    As for how students react to digital art, I'm fortunate in that the peeps I take art classes with at the local Community College are fairly hip. When some guys brought their tablet PCs to figure drawing class, the students who are unfamiliar with digital art (usually older folks) tend to think it's very neat and interesting. There's none of the "that's not art" mentality, at least that I've encountered.

Thanks
    "Pfft, I could do that."

Next time they tell you this, tell them to give it a try.

"C'mon, right now, I'll open Photoshop for you, here, do it."

You could even take your tablet in the backpack so that they don't have any excuse.

Thanks
    Implore them to name another tool to make art that is more cost effective for artists trying to make ends meet.

Watch them fall silent right in front of you.

Thanks
    I once offered my paycheck to someone who said that. around 700$ at that time.

Needless to say I kept my money and it was one less bastard saying shit.

Thanks
    I only ever showed my digi stuff to a few people at high school, most of what I got was 'weird' but back when I first started painting digitally on the family computer, my dad would come by to use it, see what I was drawing and say "hey, that's quite good!" (any compliment coming from my dad is a miracle btw) then he'd see some of the pencil lines underneath and it would change to "OH. oh. Nevermind. You're just coloring it in...". I always thought that was a strange thing to say though...I haven't done a whole lot of oil painting, but I got the impression most traditional painters start over a quick sketch too...?

well, don't let it get to you. It may be annoying sometimes, but remember that there are also plenty of people who can appreciate what you do

Thanks
    I mostly get this from teachers. They kind of pass it off as if digital art is not impressive. Although the teachers at my school probably have never seen good digital art, they usually think of photoshoped filter crap whenever I talk about digital art.

...At least I can draw the figure better than all my teachers combined! haha burn.

Thanks
    One day youll realize that 98% of all people in high school are;

A) mentally handicapped
    B) youll never see them again anyway, unless you go to a reunion
    C) going to wind up as drunk unemployed bums. so who cares what they say?

Thanks
    People, they are dumb.

I've found that looking for artistic validation from people that don't make art can be nothing but an exercise in confusion and bruising of the ego. So really, don't sweat it... keep doin your thing and they'll keep on doing nothin'.

Thanks
    hahaha, i sometimes heard:
    "the computer was doing this for you?"

Thanks
    no need to get upset over this type of stuff. If they're just dumbasses, I don't feel the need to impress them. I'll just be like, "sure yea, this took me like 3 minutes. I just had to code in the gfx real quick and hit the paint button and it was done! can you believe I can sell this shit and make money!!"

Thanks
    I'm sure they were just tying to piss you off.

I've honestly never encountered a situation where I've been able to change a person's mind about the validity of digital art. Everything being said in this thread so far is great stuff, you could almost write an essay arguing the point.

At any rate, those guys are just assholes, you gotta just shake it off.

Thanks
    I luv this thread

Thanks
    Relating to peoples Ignorance, a funny thing Is when someone thinks a crap sketch you did is the best thing they have ever seen, yet you know it absolutley sucks balls.
    Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form.

Thanks
    there is a well respected teacher at my art school that was (and probably still is) convinced that computers magically create art "at the push of a button". it's ignorant, and it stems from no actual knowledge whatsoever, but meh, i don't see the point in wasting effort with arguing back.

Thanks
    So where is this "make art" button in painter? I may have been working hard for nothing all this time!
    My work: [link]

Thanks
    SPAM FLOOD: Becaues yes, I've been hugely irritated by it as well, and DAMMIT I have a lot to say about it. Dammit. XD Sorry, you just gave me the perfect opportunity to spew out all the words even if nobody reads 'em! .

Oh boy, this is one of those topics I could and have been wanting to write an essay about just because...and I sure do hate writing !

I don't actually get this, because the people I typically talk to about my art (which is very few...) are much too mature and polite to say anything, but I know they're thinking it

Unforunately, this is a stigma that comes along with medium largely due to a certain prolific brand of digital "artists" themselves. Remember all those awesome"artists" who take a photograph into photoshop or painter, grab a smudge tool, smudge some colors around to make it "impressionistic" and then say they "painted" it? Yeah, well you see that everywhere, and obviously, anyone can do it. Hell, even I looked down on a great many digital artists then. Of course, I've come a long way since then . Honestly it's only natural that someone who didn't know digital mediums well (especially OLD PEOPLE!!!! ), would generalize all the "good looking, realistic digital art" out there under the assumption that it's "easy".

Another part of the misunderstanding can likely be traced back to the word "digital" itself. "Digital" is societally defined and associated with "easily editable, easily storable, easily do-able, user friendly." Something to make life easier. Digital copying (scanning), digital mail, digital paper, digital music, etc. All of these are extremely convenient, and far easier, and faster than their traditional counterparts. Anyone can do it once they've been shown a few times. So if you were to say you did this artwork "digitally," it's easy to see where the misunderstanding might come from.

And to an extent, let's all admit... digital paint *does* make it easier. It doesn't mean you can produce better work, it simply means you can create the same level of work, with less hassle (waiting for canvas to stretch, paint to dry, having to mix colors, spending money etc).

So I would say those people are ignorant, but certainly not stupid. Maybe rude, but then again if they're your friends they're probably just giving ya sh*t . If they're older than you, they're just jealous!

People have weird ways of thinking, so you have to figure out how they're looking at things, and approach them from that angle. What I do every time (because I'm insecure and prideful about it XD), is basically explain what the program itself does - which is emulate real paint (though I'm speaking from a Painter perspective here), and what a tablet is and what you can do with it. What I imagine it does for the listener, is create mental analogues between the brush and the stylus; and the paint/canvas to the program (PS, Painter, etc). Most of the time, anyone who wasn't knowledgable of the program would either ask more questions, or else say something like "cool" and go about with their business.

At the very least, explaining it can help you to feel that you've done everything you could to educate these poor ignorant fools, and if they don't smarten up, or at least seem open minded about it then that's just a pity and they're not worth talking to! Then again, people are insanely stubborn, and as with all things, it takes time for them to change their thinking. I try to hope that I've at least pointed them in the right direction.

Then again, Aussie-land is a completely different place . But that's ok... just don't let it get to you!

And for the record... you should try the make eye button. Didn't you know? It's at the top of the Photoshop toolbar... Why else would there be an eye there?

Thanks
    Argh my "art teacher" (secondary school) is like that. I designed some cards (that was the assignment) digitally, and I did some cards traditionally. And he just gives me low grades on the digital cards because he thinks that is like cheating or something.
    Blah but who cares, I don't give a shit about my grades anyway, as long as they're enough to get my little piece of paper which says I made it through secondary school

I know how annoying it can get when people think that once you did something digitally, it's suddenly really easy and they could do that too, but in the end, what they think doesn't matter one single bit. It's what you know, and what the people who actually dó know much about it tell you about your work (and techniques and stuff). And ofcourse, what matters most; if you like what you're doing and creating.

lots of love
    Marleen

Thanks
    Wow, I probably have the bestest art-teacher ever - I told her I've only worked digitally until 8 months ago, that I'm pretty much self-taught, etc and what did she say to me: The computer is only a tool.

Of course I have other teachers who say they're fine with it, but give you lower grades for presenting prints.

About the rest of them: I don't know if I'd rather start hating the school for hiring such illiterate* idiots or just work harder and prove them wrong.

*HOW HARD is it to go to the computer lab and actually work in PS for a while to get a grasp of the tools and the limitations of the filters?

Thanks
    If you want people to change their bias about something and convince them
    otherwise, do what Socrates did.
    Start asking questions about it until they either contradict themselves or they
    run out of information and suddenly realise their bias or that they don't know
    shit about the topic.
    Then... make your move..

In the end, aren't the people you want recognition from, the people that are
    close to you? Don't worry too much about changing the opinion of others
    over small things.
    www.tomvandewouwer.com

"There is no such thing as 'accurate drawing'. There is beautiful
    drawing, and ugly, and nothing else." JAD Ingres, Ecrits sur l'art
    (1780-1865)"

Thanks
    I got superdefensive when someone said that working digitally was easier, that was when i was barely touching oils and aquarelles. I have to agree that it IS easier to paint digitally. But it does require skills and knowledge to do something good out of it. And to be honest im not to hot about people paiting a B&W paiting and then use Levels to color it. But thats me. And i guess that my problem haha.

People are ignorant and there is no point of showing them how to do stuff.

Thanks
    I shamefully admit that few years ago, i would be one of those people going:"well, if you paint on a computer with a program then why do you call it art?" I come from a traditional painting bagground and had as little understanding of digital painting as those people, untill i discovered CA (i remeber the first days here and seeing all these amazing works blew my mind and i knew right away how much effort and hard work was behind it all)and all changed for me, hehe. If i can be saved, so can they - or you can just forget about them, it dosnt really matter. I once told a photographer friend that all he did was click on a camera, so he shouldnt call himself an artist, hehe. Man, did he get pissed! I still make fun of it today. Paint and be proud and forget about assholes like me

Thanks
    Interestingly enough, I read an interview with Frank Frazetta (spelling?) in which he strongly condemned digital art. Of course he did everything in oil, but I don't think he realised that digital art takes the same amount of knowledge for the same quality of work. As has been pointed out, the only difference is that the process has been simplified and tweaked. That's it.

In fact, I've seen traditional paintings from noobs that look far better than their digital work around here.

I've had to explain this to quite a few people, most of whom were thankfully open-minded and unbiased.

Don't let 'em get to you, they don't know what the fuck they're talking about.

- d.
    Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    The flip side of this is currently very visible at Central Station in Sydney, actually the tunnel leading from it. Where there used to be a number of murals (not great, but not terrible) there are now a number of prints. The problem with these prints is that each seems to be emulating a wall with windows in it (painted terribly in ps) through which is visible a variety of scenes, of trains (which is appropriate), that are photos with photoshop filters applied .

These are the people that give a bad name to digital artists.
    Research shows Industrial Design of the Week is addictive.
    Come get your fix.

Sculpty Fight! - The Sculpt & 3D Challenge

Flipbook 2
    www.Philistine.com.au

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolas
    One day youll realize that 98% of all people in high school are;

A) mentally handicapped
    B) youll never see them again anyway, unless you go to a reunion
    C) going to wind up as drunk unemployed bums. so who cares what they say?

pretty much sums up my thoughts about school...
    ▄▀▄▀▄▀■ - GORILLA ARTFARE - ■▀▄▀▄▀▄

Thanks
    I think everyone of us has a digital ignorance story.
    I had a gallery thing where my teachers took some of my work to a board of examiners and a few of the younger people who knew what photoshop was were there and gave me straight A's for my stuff but the people who did not understand what a digital a painting was refused to mark it so I failed art for the year.
    Owell if I keep at it I'll show them *shakes fist*.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast