Thanks

Sargent at "Americans in Paris" pics and more/ 56k heavy

Hi fellow art lovers !

I took the liberty of sharing a small selection of pictures I took of my museum visits during my stay in New York and Boston a couple weeks back.
    Stephen ( darkwolfb87 ) convinced me to post some pics and maybe tell a little a bit about my trip to convince other people to do the same.
    The primary goal of the trip was to visit some museums who had Sargent's on
    display since that painter is not represented a lot in European or Belgian museums for that matter. Anyway, I also wanted to visit New York city and
    since I had never been to the States before that seemed like a good choice.
    I booked my flight and contacted Arkady (Amishcommy) in NY and Stephen in
    Boston and they were both extremely friendly and welcoming, letting me stay
    at their place during my visits !
    Arkady showed me the Society of Illustrators the first night I was there and I
    was immediately convinced that this was bout to become an amazing trip.
    I met a lot of friendly and interesting people there and they had 3 hour life
    drawing sessions with life jazz music, drinks at the bar and walls packed with
    original art from all the great illustrators ever lived !! Simply an amazing place!
    I'm thinking about setting something like that up in Belgium too.
    Went to Boston during the weekend and had a blast there as well. Visited
    great museums with great art and met only nice people. Boston reminded me a
    bit of my hometown, bigger off course, but it had that kind of european feeling
    I can't really put my finger too.
    I visited all three museums that housed Sargent including the Isabella stewart
    gardner . But I wasn't so impressed with that last one. Sure it was nice
    building, an italian palazzo she shipped to Boston and rebuilded there ( the
    word decadence comes to mind) but the art was displayed badly due to the
    fact that they couldn't change anything about the original setup and lighting
    according to Mrs Gardner's will. I found that little bit strange and
    dissapointing. It did have El jaleo however, one of my favourite paintings.
    I could go on and on about my experiences there but I'm not gonna bore you
    guys too much and just give you a selection of the goodies that were hanging
    on the museum walls.
    I apologize for the bad quality of some of the pics, I just hope you still get something out of them and appreciate the detail shots.
    First 2 are walls of the SOI

Sargent at "Americans in Paris" pics and more/ 56k heavy Sargent at "Americans in Paris" pics and more/ 56k heavy

This one was across the bouguereau's in the MET but made a bigger impression on me. Either by Stevens or Henri Regnault:

Bierstadt at the Fogg :

EDIT : It's Ingres folks
    Sargent at "Americans in Paris" pics and more/ 56k heavy Sargent at "Americans in Paris" pics and more/ 56k heavy

Fucking Rrembrandt and his golden light:

Thomas Eakins :

And now Sargent. Seeing those paintings in real life is quite the experience.
    I 've never been a fan of his subject matter. But the way he handles the brush
    and paint is jawdropping. Also I noticed that in contrast with his contemporaries , he allways paints the negative space whenever in need of a
    sharp edge. Something I never noticed before and is not noticable on
    reproduction I think.
    This painting is an all-time favourite of mine. The pose, the tilted head and the
    brushwork make this an incredible portrait of his master Carolus-Duran :

daughters of boit + details:

and to give you size ref :

the moustache is like 2 brushstrokes each side !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was completely blown away by his loose painterly style and I would advise everyone to check out his works in person !
    The current exhibition in the MET of Americans in Paris is amazing. If your in
    NY or nearby, don't miss it, it made my trip !

To the mods : if this thread is more appropriate in another section , feel free
    to move it

Cheers all
    Tom
    Last edited by Art_Addict; December 3rd, 2006 at 07:28 PM.
    www.tomvandewouwer.com

"There is no such thing as 'accurate drawing'. There is beautiful
    drawing, and ugly, and nothing else." JAD Ingres, Ecrits sur l'art
    (1780-1865)"

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Cool, thanks for posting these. Looks like you had a good trip.

Thanks
    Thanks for posting, I really enjoyed the virtual tour. Amazing paintings, I stopped at the 3rd picture of the woman sitting. I stared at it for quite a few minutes.

Thanks
    gorgoeus
    ¡Que Viva El Concept Art Atelier!

[Website]

[Blog]

[ Sketchbook! (old) ]

Thanks
    The details are stunning. I think I have some pics of these works somewhere too. The El Jaleo is worth the trip by itself. If your a fan of Phil Hale I think you can see where he got some of his ideas from that work. Thanks for posting!

Thanks
    great shots
    esp the detail shots

thank you a lot sir
    my sketchbook
    friends Sketchbooks:Dile_, Stine
    my flickr go there if you want to see my photography stuff

<mildly sarcastic remark that seems a little cutting at first read, but contains wisdom and is really rather funny>

Ilaekae: "I'm sick and tired of "purists" who dictate their own anal preoccupations to everybody else as the word of gods."

Thanks
    maaaan, the sense of depth in this one is fantastic.

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Stunning work. Thank you so much for sharing those, and your experience Art_Addict. I wish our city had a higher circulation of great art from the masters on exhibit (to be fair they did recently have a small showing of Baroque works) but really, there doesn't seem to be much interest in it here; very sad. Wonderful to see your pictures of those great pieces though, thank you! Also very cool to hear of the life drawing, jazz music vibe going on at the show.

Cheers!

Ken

Thanks
    wow, I wish I was there, thank you for sharing, beautiful. Looks like you had a great time.

Thanks
    That post you said was either Gerome or barque, it was an Ingres. But GEEZ I thought my art was coming along and now you show me the work of these super heavyweights of art!!
    Larger than life

Thanks
    Sargent is incredible. I've had the priviledge of seeing a number of his pieces in person... the two best I've seen personally have been this Lady Agnew of Lochnaw and Carnation, Lily, Lily, Rose. Just incredible stuff.
    Art is long and time is fleeting

Sketchbook
    Website

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdlinger
    That post you said was either Gerome or barque, it was an Ingres. But GEEZ I thought my art was coming along and now you show me the work of these super heavyweights of art!!
    Oh snap, my head turns red
    I remembered paintings of Ingres in the same room, I forgot the studies were his
    as well. Thanks for clearing that up. I edited the name.

In the corridor behind the room where those Ingres were, there was this little
    Bargue painting that was incredible. It measured only the size of an A4, or that's
    how I remember it, but it had the most amazing detail and acurateness.
    I would have walked right passed it if Stephen hadn't shown it to me. Feel bad, about forgetting to take a detail shot of it
    I'm talking 'bout this one :
    www.tomvandewouwer.com

"There is no such thing as 'accurate drawing'. There is beautiful
    drawing, and ugly, and nothing else." JAD Ingres, Ecrits sur l'art
    (1780-1865)"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tully
    Lady Agnew of Lochnaw andJust incredible stuff.
    That is a mindbendingly good painting.

The only things that I remember impressing me more were a couple of Waterhouses best efforts.

Thanks
    Its basicly totally emasing, you can only appreciate all this talent in entity when you have tried to really paint with oils yourself.

Im such person that I have always quickly being able to copy anything at all I see, but these people were not just copying they were using real life models and were working in highly uncomfortable conditions so its actually emasing if you think about it, where did they get so much spirit and desire to excell to this extent while not having all the modern day commodities you know one could wonder ?!?!?!!?

I am blown away, I love eating nice things and Im such culinarist however Im always on a diet so the pleasure of eating is always stained with the sensation of quilt thinking I shouldnt be doing this right now, but THIS Im telling you this very moment, is giving me pure total devine Godly pleasure, Im so glad that he achieved what he wanted to achieve on canvas, I can feel the sensation of contentedness of creation the total happines and pride of a mother the fulfillness that he felt when he did that, the desire that every artist is always trying to fulfill in themselves as if they are forever hungry for it, after this piece of art he gets hunger for another thing and thats how he was built and its normal for him, praise the Lord for that its a special stage of mind that one can not help it

Honestly speaking Im always thinking about ..........erm I lost the thought I had, actually should already go to sleep cuz have to wake up 6 am and its now 1.39 am....I cant beleif I just lost my trace of thougth like that what could it have been then ..... ?

well Im sorry its not coming to me now so I have to pass it then lo sorry !!!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Seconded on the depth in this pic, about as close to 3d as I can really see in a pic...

But here's a question

I saw this first in highschool, and while I loved it, I was perplexed (and still am) about the composition of it all. The faces are so spread out (really wonking out my eyes, btw), and with blondie over by the left, it feels balanced and unbalanced at the same time. While she's way over there, and the others sitting on or to the left of the center line, it all feels falling to the left, but somehow anchored by the red curtain on the right.

I'm a complete idiot when it comes to comp, so can someone go through this with me, show how it works, what was intended etc?

Thanks
    thank you fo this thread!
    this is what this site is all about....sharing this kind of inspiration.
    im recently re-desicovering everything i ignored in school...lol
    and the hyper-realism of seargent and his peers is a big part of that