Sketchbook: Ack! The Art of Krywell

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ack! The Art of Krywell

Hello!

I used to draw a lot, but kind of fell of it (music took over my life). Well, I'm trying to get back into art, and am really enjoying. I would greatly appreciate your comments and suggestions! Thanks!

First off, I'm trying to get the hang of the human head. Here's something I did yesterday (the two heads), and then an earlier sketch...

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey!
    Glad to see you back again. Faces require an understanding of skull structure. I've got a bunch of great skull photos that I'll give to you when I get the opertunity.

So far that's the best advice I can give. I have more the more you post so POST!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, Caddlewick. It is good to be back! And I'll thank you in advance for the photos. That will help!!!

And sorry about the size those last things! I'm not very computer savvy...haha...so I'll get some help with that, and fix it later.

Now hopefully this will turn out well. It's a sketch I did the other day. I haven't done much drawing in the last couple of days, because I've been running around doing stuff. At any rate, I know this isn't too good, but it's something that I had on hand. I'll draw more, and hopefully get some of my other stuff scanned into the computer...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, here we go with more stuff. First here's a face I just did a few moments ago. It's not to good, but I knew I just needed to draw SOMETHING to get myself back into the habit of doing (I was running around a lot today, and forgot to bring pencils and paper, dagnabit...)...

Next is an eye I did awhile back. I thought it was neat...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo
    Sorry I didn't get in here yesterday. The library computers were down. I don't have a lot of time, but have a lot of sb's to post in so I'll be brief.

The figures are looking good, but I would suggest that you use reference. I worked without reference for a long time, but when I started using it I began to improve very quickly. The eye is good. I want to tell you about values but can't right now. Remind me of it later.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, Q, I really should use references...and I do. I just got my fencing magazine today, so I'll be doing some stuff from that for fun...

So here's some quick stuff I did today...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's today's face. I did this one from a ref. I found...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good work on finding some reference. That will help you loads.

I have some things will help you. It's too late to write them down now so you have to wait a bit. Patience good sir, I will get the time eventually. I'm sure you know how it feels. Seeing as it is after midnight I should go to bed now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello again...

First off, I'M MAD!!!

Why? Well, my scanner is acting goofy...it's not picking up all the lines on my drawings, giving them a weird look. No wonder you told me to work on values!!! Sheesh, I swear they look better in person!

I've been fiddling with the contrast, but it doesn't seem to help. Heck, some of them don't even show up! So I might have make the lines REALLY dark. Stick with me here!

Anyway, Here's today's stuff. I was working on still life sketches. I also did a bird...

[BLOODY SCANNER!!!]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm, what program are you using to scan the images? The one I use, and think is the simplist, is the microsoft scanner wizard that comes with the operating system.

To use, go to my computer and find the icon that represents your scanner. Right click it and select "get picture using scanner wizard" The wizard pops up and you click next, you should now be on the settings page. Select custom, then manipulate the custom settings till you get it the way you want. You will have to preview scan it each time you adjust the brightness and contrast until you get it the way you want. Once the preview scan appears the way you want the final scan to look, continue on through the wizard indicating where you want to save it to, then scann it. Be sure to pay attention to the Dots per inch "DPI". I usually scan stuf at 100 DPI and adjust it in photo shop to get it to the proper web dimentions.

I hope that helps.

Your eye seems to be pretty good. Here is something that I think will help it to get even better.

Perhaps you have noted in some of my drawings I have five values scribbled at the edge of the page? I put those there to refer to as I work on my drawing.

I want you to put those five values on the edge of your page when you sit down to draw something from reference. Then starting with the darkest value of your subject (usually black "5" or dark dark grey "4") Begin working your way up shading in each value. Don't use any lines, allow the edges of your values to form the edges of your subject. This will help your drawings to beging to look more lifelike. In reality there is not really any such thing as line. That is a stylization used it art to help seperate two objects of the same value. [note, I give full credit to everyone who has givin me this same advice in my thread]

This excersise is one of the first things my art teacher got me doing when I started with her.

Catch you later.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the tips, Q, but I think it's the scanner...not the program. And dagnabit! I am shading, it just isn't showing up!

Well, I posting an older sketch. This one was done with a pen, and I was hoping that more of lines would show up. They didn't. At any rate, you get the basic idea of it...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that's a bummer that your scanner isn't working. You might try photgraphing your stuf with your digital camera. Just make shure you get good light on the piece.

Nice wall. Looks very inviting, I don't think that walls should be so nice. They should be spiky and intimidating. Saying "I DARE YOU TO TRY AND PENITRATE ME, BWAH HA HA HA"
    Not that there is anything wrong with your wall, the perspective it good. It just doesn't scare me enough. Next time put some cannons or machine guns sticking out fo holes on the sides. Or have ogres patrolling the tops. Or put Naz ukos uka with flame throwers guarding the gates or or....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well crud...

Sorry my castle wasn't...mean enough for you...

Well, I tried taking a picture of my art, and it came out...ok. I'm going to fix this problem, even if it kills me!!!!!!

This is a quick sketch I did...and don't mind the face down in the bottom...just more sketching (thought it was done from a picture...).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the face at the bottom, OOPS! sorry, I wasn't supposed to pay attention to that

Though I was telling the truth. The face is good. I want to know more about the dude.

The road looks good, I'm bad with road perspective so I can't give much advice.

Try to get some referenced, rendered stuff in here. I still need to give you the value lecture, but my fingers are getting tired from typing so much. I will get that done a little later. Forgive me. I will get it to you!

Remember to get people to look at your work and hopefully give good advice. You gotta get out there and post in their sb's.

>Later<

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great to see ya working hard to learn to draw. Also great to see you are working from reference and life. Try doing alot of life drawings because they can really help in the long run. As you really learn how things work and why things are the way things are. You might also want to look into buying some art books, or downloading the Loomis books if you can. These can be alot of help in understand structure, and perspective.

when it comes to shading try to be as bold with your shading as you are with lines. Shading should be more apperant then lines. lines are ment more to convey shapes, and give your structure. While shading shows an objects depth, texture, and lighting. Don't be afraid to get really dark with your shading.

keep drawing man.

The Nameless Ones
    NJord-E55
    iolarnula
    Apocalypse Rex
    Invinciblewombat
    Wake101
    Q-Caddlewick
    "Draw till your hands a bloody stump then learn to draw with your teeth."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey...

Sorry it's been so long. My scanner is still screwing up. I swear, I'm shading my stuff, it just isn't there!!! Messing with the contrast doesn' t help...and I'm really bummed...

Any way...

Q: Thanks for sticking with me! The face was the drummer from Caedmon's Call. I'm to lazy to look for his name right now...

Wake: Thanks for coming by! I need some good art books, so I will look into Loomis. Everyone keeps talking about it, so it must be good! What books would you recommend?

Hey, again, sorry about the scanner problems...but I have to keep posting!!!

Here are some faces from today...more to the cartooning side...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't worry we WILL get your hardware working

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.