Following
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ew

chaos

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not many people here like dA. Mostly because it's a huge compilation of asspats who are of no use to you other than praise.

So go there if you are down, but when you're in the mood to make art stay far away.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's like asking who has aids.
    The few people who willingly have it aren't eager to talk about it outside of their support groups.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the better question would be:
    "Who thinks it's usefull to be on deviantArt?"

most ppl here would say: "Not me!"

my sketchbook
    friends Sketchbooks:Dile_, Stine
    my flickr go there if you want to see my photography stuff

<mildly sarcastic remark that seems a little cutting at first read, but contains wisdom and is really rather funny>

Ilaekae: "I'm sick and tired of "purists" who dictate their own anal preoccupations to everybody else as the word of gods."

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think being on deviantArt would be very useful for someone intending to be a high school art teacher. Think of it like Jane Goodall living with the chimps. And no, I don't mean that ironically at all.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell
    I think being on deviantArt would be very useful for someone intending to be a high school art teacher. Think of it like Jane Goodall living with the chimps. And no, I don't mean that ironically at all.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA! :-)) Not a bad idea. Though, personally, I go for www.icouldbe.org

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm on dA- for what its worth.

http://www.artillery77.deviantart.com

I was trying to get back into art and thought that maybe the crits would help- it's kinda hard to get them if your style isn't anime.

And my anime hand is not strong.

I still post in my journal there but for getting my skills up CA is the serious business.

"Afraid not of none of you cowards but of my own strength"

Gallery

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been there for a while.. kinda wish I knew about this site sooner. Found out about it earlier this year.. Gotta do some work though, I've hardly posted here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I mostly use DA to keep track of all my favorite artists. I rarely update my own DA page anymore, since hardly anyone goes to it. *shrugs*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, I've always considered DeviantArt to be an overgrown, myspacey version of Elfwood; take that as you will.

The only reason I have any respect for the site at all is that the most skilled artist I know has a fairly active deviantart page, so I guess that counts for... something.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I AM ON DEVIANTART AND I'M PROUD OF IT!!!!!!

http://jenzee.deviantart.com

You guys are snotty haters !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Agreed with Jen, I wouldn't at all consider it a skill developing site (like conceptart.org), but it's still a fun site to socialize with a lot of great artists I know on there (and there are a lot of great ones on there). Plus, I think it's important to try to keep track of what is popular among the general demographic. Even if it's weird stuff.

http://sinix.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    deviant art gives me shrieking cooties. nah I kid. I used to have a deviant art account but then I found CA....unfortunately I have a one track mind and focus on one site only. woops. Some wonderful art in there though.. not the majority...but nice nonetheless

¡Que Viva El Concept Art Atelier!

[Website]

[Blog]

[ Sketchbook! (old) ]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I'm on both. There are some truly astounding works of art on there, and that's not sarcasm.

I do think that the general Conceptart view on Deviantart is a little high and mighty, like 'all those on Deviantart are just 12 year old kids drawing pictures of Nah-rooo-tow in crayons.'
    This is not true! 98% of people on Deviantart draw crayon pictures of 'Saaah-soo-kay,' and not 'Nah-rooo-tow' at all. 6% of people on Deviantart are excellent artists, several times better than me or indeed most of the people here! Did you see my good maths there!

Seriously, though. Have a look at some of these:
    http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/42300009/
    http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/25738571/
    http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/...e+-in%3Ascraps

And, of course, my personal favourite:
    http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/25779379/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm on there, I'm with Jens tho' CA is the place to learn. However, DA is good for staying in touch with college buddies. I do like how they give you a gallery, when is CA's going to start working?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Indoor voice vs. outdoor voice

Plus, I think it's important to try to keep track of what is popular among the general demographic. Even if it's weird stuff.
    Amen brother- when a picture gets 2000 hits, then there must be something to it.

I tend to keep a more kinda-professional tone to my interactions on CA since there are pros here giving time to teach (I'm definitely taking more than I am giving) so I think its only right to be more respectful.

On dA, I post much of the stuff that doesn't really have a place here. I do try to apply what I learn here over there and see what the masses think.

I also drop more F- bombs over there.

"Afraid not of none of you cowards but of my own strength"

Gallery

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochile
    However, DA is good for staying in touch with college buddies.
    Ya know that's exactly a reason I'm considering signing up for it; I know a number of my friends have DA accounts and I've been asked if I have one before. I never really joined because I never really thought about it honestly... I looked on that site a little while ago just browsing, but was put off a little by some of the things there. there are definitely good people there, I just kinda drifted away from viewing much there at a point... I think this site helped in that

Yea though, I don't see it as being a bad thing at all really; if anything it's just another way to connect with people. I'll probably join at some point. it'd be a nice way to let some people know about this site as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Deviant art has three things going for it, for me.

1. They give you a free profile page that looks professional enough, and allows unlimited art submissions. You can even sell prints of your work! I may "buy" some of these prints, especially as mugs and postcards and sell them in stores.

2. It shows potential employers that I'm social with other artists - it's not just a job, it's my life.

3. There are good artists on there, especially photographers, and more importantly, there are many many artists on there. The second I posted stuff I got all sorts of comments from people. You don't learn from crits like you do here, but you do find artists in your area. You can type in the name of any town in the world and find art about it on deviant. Give me enough time and I might turn them into business contacts, at least once they all turn 20 or so.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtEdGradStudent
    1. They give you a free profile page that looks professional enough...
    I don't think it's a good idea to use DeviantArt as your portfolio site. It's a really good site, especially their messaging and watch features. But it's really not professional looking. Each artist's profile page is pretty badly laid out, especially to people never been to DA before.

Also, I would fear that what if your potential client decide to take a look around after seeing your DA page, and all of a sudden, they are looking at all the amature anime drawing and web-cam shots, what would they think?

Anyway, it's a great site to network and keep track of new works from your favorite artists, but really shouldn't be used as your primary online portfolio site.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sometimes i come as a "guest"... -thats all!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I found out about ConceptART way before DeviantART and I decided to join both. DeviantART is alright. A lot of good artists on there just as there are on CA, but the quality is dragged down by 95% of the site presenting everyones doodles and what they draw in class. Unknown people become lost and aren't seen by anyone like myself. Even though I use it as a place to put some artwork, I still would like a personal portfolio site.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DA is a nice place to have fun, make friends and show some art while doing it....But it is not a portfolio site and it rarely shows anything to potential employers......To much to look at, to little time those potential employers have. Even great artists in that site get lost in an huge ocean of amateur art.

Is more likely that they´ll see your work after you send some hard copys, or just make your own portfolio site and send it to their database.

The features such as stamps, prints, etc are effective tools for hobby artists...

Employers won´t hire you based on how social you are over the internet, they might even notice just how much time you waste....Even here in CA.org. Being polite and reliable is far more important.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by look
    I don't think it's a good idea to use DeviantArt as your portfolio site. It's a really good site, especially their messaging and watch features. But it's really not professional looking. Each artist's profile page is pretty badly laid out, especially to people never been to DA before.

Also, I would fear that what if your potential client decide to take a look around after seeing your DA page, and all of a sudden, they are looking at all the amature anime drawing and web-cam shots, what would they think?

Anyway, it's a great site to network and keep track of new works from your favorite artists, but really shouldn't be used as your primary online portfolio site.
    Yea, I definitely wouldn't send your DA page off as your portfolio site. Forget amateur anime, let's talk about "inflation art" and bestiality. This is the front page today: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/44156425/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

xoet deviates (yes)

I found DA via a post on this site

I found this site via a post on the starbase 118 forums

there are other art site's I use like http://www.renderosity.com/

Strange thing is they all complain about how poorly my English is er are at times

I just don't know why? btw I also dislike the fact that my dyslexia makes it difficult for my to communicate at the level I know I can.. [note to self] if I spend all my time debugging a sentence of dyslexia then I am not doing my art which is enhanced (imo) by my dyslexia and subconscious Freuding mistakes. [ it took three tries with a dictionary at hand to spell subconscious right I hope]

so to deal with the fact that any group of googlie yahoos can start a forum a group a concept a deviation and or render art as if it was something I have decided to create my own personal group at google beta beyond the other groups and My space / my space like sites of course you can do the same this quest for blogging and such and then into a group thing is great just well until my site is up and I can upload quicker I will be at

google group is my h92o google group and of course i blog with h92o

I have moved on from the last year's work on the blog group

since my change of address in the real world I am starting a new net ID h92o from the net ID xoet most things googled with my ID is mine if it is in english and such...

Bill Newbold...

the reason for such a creation of net ID's is cause during a google of my name in the white pages there are many Bill Newbold's out there hence the need for my to differenciate there is one other Bill Newbold even in the city of new brunswick where I live.

going by my complete name may be good since there is not another william victor newbold on the planet earth but still that is too long to deal with as an ID

got to go cause of rl need to chant with a friend

peace

the auto-crime capital of North America-Surrey, BC
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Personally, dA has done nothing for me. All they have there is ridiculous anime slathered in Photoshop.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ArtEdGradStudent - Don't give your employers links to places where you have put up personal info on yourself, unless that personal info is very tightly controlled - such as a biography, or selected essays. A professional webpage is along the lines of what you would mail to a company to apply for a job. If you wouldn't mail it, don't link to it.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good point. I may try and hide the comments on it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sure I have an account there, I'm mainly there to watch my favourite artists, to all of you who complain there isn't any good stuff: you just don't bother looking very hard, do you? Because several very skilled and even professional artists can be found at devart. Also I like dA because I sometimes meet interesting people.

Jag har en inbyggd kompass. -Skalman

http://www.patchtogether.com/members...rs/showprofile Vote for my patch together designs, please?

http://www.etsy.com/shop/SirJohanna ORIGINAL ART FOR SALE

http://nanna.deviantart.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Like many people DA is where I go to keep up with my friends, not where I go for actual critiques.

-----------------------------------------------------
    portfolio=ORANGEMANTIS.COM
    Blog
    SKETCHBOOK
    -----------------------------------------------------

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.