Art: Childhood hero

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Childhood hero

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Childhood hero

I'm REAAAALLLLLY new at the whole 3D thing. I been fortunate to get my hands (temporarily) on Maya. I'm doing a model of my favorite childhood hero Batman. I got a pretty simple batman look from cartoon layout. I figure I'm about halfway to the finish line here. And so far this is what I got. ANY suggestions...crits...comments would be will help a whole bunch.
    Thanks
    Childhood hero

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i guess its not far enough to crit it
    maybe check the proportions... but its ok for this stage...

bonus vir semper tiro.

Steffen 'Neox' Unger
    freelance 3d artist

www.airborn-game.com
    www.polyphobia.de

Thanks
    Thanked 16,670 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    There's something very wrong about the way the lower leg is connecting to the knee. He looks almost satyr-like.

Aso, be very careful about how you are modeling the chest muscles. Right now they look too low and bulbous, and he's in danger of ending up with man boobs.

What's nice about the BM/TAS designs is how simplified and geometric they are. If you go too far trying to overlay realistic anatomy on top of that it may end up looking grotesque.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanx for the feed back. It would probably be best to keep from really getting into anatomy on the cartoon batguy. But, since I need the practice, I probably will try to incorporate the basic muscle structure. Just about done. I'm looking forward to trying my hand at some uv texturing. Oh ya, I checked the leg proportion...and it did need a little tweaking.

Childhood hero

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very good start for being your first model! Here's some tips that will hopefully help:
    1 - bring his shoulders inward and downward just a tad
    2 - make his forearms a little less bulging
    3 - being the mouth up a little bit higher
    4 - make the shoulers and chin a bit pointier
    5 - rework the anatomy of the knees (right now they won't animate well, and they don't really have a "knee" shape to them)
    6 - bring the legs in closer at the crotch there

Hope these help! Take this as encouragement, not discouragement i'm sure you'll get him looking shipshape in no time!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the feedback and pointers. Let me correct myself....this is my first nearly completed model. In the past I usually get to frustrated when it comes time to attach the body parts. All those blasted extra vertices and edges:mad: . I usually just quit or startover. Somehow this one worked out....for the most part. Anyway, I'll definitely make the necessary changes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, you seem to have thrown out the ref you started with ;-)

First some crits:
    He is too broad. In the ref he puts his chest forward and the cartoonist exaggerated it by drawing the chest in front of the arms. If you posed him that way the chest might be right already, i don't know,
    I'm missing the pointy things on his arms.
    The chin is not as in the ref, where the head is widest at the ultimate bottom.
    In the last picture i can't tell what is happening at the shoulder.

The arms are short. That's a general anatomy thing. Humans have their elbow at about the top of the hip bone and have about one hand of space between the mid of the knee and the lowest part of the hand when standing with the arm hanging beside the body. Will look weird otherwise.

You started well, now it's all a question of scaling stuff around and make it look more like the reference you used.

Keep at it, it's certainly not a bad first model!

BTW: what software is this? It seems liuke you have some double faces or turned normals in the model (mid of the shin, see the sort of 'gradient' thing there. That face is weird. If it's Maya i bet you have cut a face and now there is a duplicate vertex. It happens sometimes with the wrong settings. Just merge tose together again. [EDIT]oh woops - missed that it is in Maya. The thing happens at a number of locations in the model. You have to watch it with that because if you have your settings with 'keep faces together' off, you can end up with a lot of these duplicate faces/vertices. It's a pain if you have to manually weld them all together again, so check it! You can tell if it's wron if you move one vertex and another appears at the old spot, revealing another face.

Disclaimer: I'm still learning this shit myself so if i seem arrogant you can shoot the next thing i post down ;-)

E.

Last edited by Erik; June 22nd, 2003 at 09:22 PM.
    Power is nothing without intelligence.

Sketchbook!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the pointers there Erik....nah, u don't sound arrogant....straight forward but not arrogant. I'm using maya for the model. My first attempt in maya. I got double faces and vertices all over the stinkin' place in this model. I'm still manually merging those monsters.
    Childhood hero

Batperson has his pointy things. I think they are s'posed to be on a 3/4 turn facing the rear (in the cartoon). I just put them in the back. Anatomy...I'm leaning towards Adam's advice and leaving it cartoony. The arms still need work. I checked the reference on the knees and calves. And that's right on or really close. Gotta work the knees out still.

Childhood hero

I reworked the face a bit. Raising the mouth and making the brow more...browy (i don't know). Running into some serious shoulder trouble as I seek homes for the orphaned edges.
    I keep working it out.....thx for the feedback:evilbat:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.