Critic needed(update)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Critic needed(update)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Critic needed(update)

I decided to start collecting all my critics posts under one thread. I hope that i get more critique specially from the people in the field. I would really appreciate opinions from professionals.

Who guessed? Again one underclothed woman. =) I was checking out my old sketches on the hard drive when i bumped into this one and painted it over in photoshop. I already realized that hand is not the best in the market but i guess i ran out of gas and didn't really concentrate on it. Maybe later. A good thing about not being working in the business is i dont have to finish anything Whaddya think.

4.12.06(later)
    Again giving colors to my old sketches. Here's an armored fella.

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Sphisis; December 4th, 2006 at 05:52 AM. Reason: New stuff
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice. I really like this, the colours are awesome

The ship thingy at the sun looks just like you were trying to make it round and failed, i also think you need to ad more detail in the foreground which I assume is the focus point

all so I the fog seems to be just a cover up for being lazy and not drawing the ground, other then that I like this a lot, the colours are nice and the city itself is very cool…

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the colour scheme, it's very difficult to look at that sun without feeling blinded! I can't think of much about it that could be improved, except the buildings in the foreground, the ones ontop of that big shell thing,the colours look like a bit (I can't for the life of me remember the word), desaturated? They look like they could do with being a bit more bold. The propeller things at the back of the buildings could do with a bit more definition too, they look out of place with the rest of the image.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hehe...yeah.. i actually meant that fog to be clouds and these little rocks little islands poking out of it. That ship thingie on the foregroud was sopposed to be somekind of zeppelin/battleship rising out of clouds. And thats the thing... if i had got this pic right i shouldn't be explaining this Maybe i have to make the fog more cloudish?

Last edited by Sphisis; December 1st, 2006 at 10:03 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hehe yes you have, and make the mountains continue down to ground level, no they seems cut of like there is water right under them, now I get what’s going on in the FG. Ship attacking the city? Right now it’s a ship with a small city on top of it, and with spotlights on the side of it,

you have to make it more look like guns, and maybe ad smaller ships flying around shooting each other down

hope it helpes

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments so far. Just got some new stuff in.

Lotet: Lazyness kicked in and i just left the balloon thing aside for a while. Maybe i get a fresh perspective on it later. That cool suggestion though. I could broaden the attacking zeppelin into full scale assault with little fighter and stuff...hmmm

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shameless bump =). Added new stuff after rummaging through my drawer for something to color. I feel like i'm getting hang of this photoshop slowly but surely. Also starving for critique.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice ones man!
    About the background (1st pic) You should add more shadows on the buildings, is going to help to see more the volume, becouse right now is a bit messy (in terms of form and shape) the foreground part.

Hope it helps

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fog: Yeah i inted to as soon as i have the inspiration and stamina to do it much easier to leave them hanging than to finish them.

Ok here's another one. As you can clearly see the rider isn't halfway finished and lets not even talk about backround. I was thinking of doing some fantasy/desert/castle thingie there. This pic, i think, i will update soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a bit more stuff i've been doing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just curious, what brushes are you using?
    as a general rule for myself...lately I've been staying away from the soft edge circle brush except when I really really need it...especially in architecture / mechanical stuff
    (although it works nicely if you use it inside a selection)

specific crits that I can see otherwise is that your figures could be less stiff, ie. the woman's wrists in the second one....maybe the torso in the most recent one ? ^^. Also, I'd make the shadows under the first woman's feet darker, like as dark as the shadows under the pieces of clothing, then fade out to the value you already have there as the shadow extends into the background. (google the words penumbra / umbra)

oh yeah one more thing, try adding a background before you're finished...sometimes it helps me think of the finished piece / edge of the canvas more..

hope that helps..im not a pro but I have been told that I smell like one...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the last two images on your first post are strong, but the woman looks like she may tip over, the placement of her right foot implies that she is off balance. and it kinda looks like a poser model that's been painted over. if i am wrong, sorry.

i like the rendering of the armor in the last pic, and the lighting is well done, although the fist gets lost in the shoulder.

Boston Splinter Cell 36
    Jushra | Purb36 | PartialArtist | Vorp | Kongni

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Agar: A little bit this and a little bit that, but round soft-edge mostly. I've done these with my mouse, because i wasn't sure earlier should i invest to a wacom. Anyway its difficult to use any of the hard edged brushes with mouse because the mistakes are so obvious then. I just bought intuos and i think i will give few more passes to these pics when i have it at hand. Thanks for the crit.

Jbhrala: Yeah i have gotten that a lot. I just don't have a clue what is it that makes it look like that. I've been suggested its the shadows that kills the transclusence(?) of the skin or something like that. In fact, if anybody has an idea what makes it so poserish, please tell me. But i assure you, this has nothing to do with the poser. =)

Back the pencil and paper until i get that tablet. I've gotten my wrist to hurt already using that mouse.

Last edited by Sphisis; December 12th, 2006 at 10:05 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another update. Again i tried to aim for good values and left detail somewhat sketchy. I am actually quite pleased to the progress i've been making over these couple weeks i've been photoshopping.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

some crits

Hey man, here are some crits and some not-so-good paintovers for you, hopefully it will help.

I didnt do the last two since they are not close to being finished( the guila monster looks unnatural and the girl with guns looks like a paintover)
    anyways hope it helps

J.L. ALFARO

"Be who you are and say what you feel,because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well... am i speechless or what First of all thanks for the trouble you went when doing the paintovers. Secondly that armor guy actually looks good now and not some cgi smudge. I laughed my ass off for the hair remark. It indeed looks like a can of spaghetti emtied on his head or some mop. LOL
    But i just can't get it why every female char i try to do looks like a paintover. =/
    I used reference photos alright but that still doesn't explain. Well...some day!

Can't really underline how helpful your post was, Thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the last one, but there some stuff you should think about, don’t work with so soft brushes and the design of the ship seems kind of spontaneous, when you try to make more complicated shapes make sure for yourself that you know how it will look in different angels and how it works.

also make sure the light hit everything from the same angle, there is no light from the left side on the ship, which it is in the background

to the good thinks, the composition is good and the tilted background is really nice, the colours are good and I like the overall idea.

Here is a tips for you:
    1. Always mirror the images from time to time
    2. Make sure when a line is supposed to be straight that it really is
    3. Always check the horizon line and perspective
    4. Check shadows and light and how they fall, think logical, its easier then you think.

When you make a new picture always check this stuff now and then, write thinks like this down on a list and check them now and then on every pic you make

Other then all you really can do is practice, you have potential and if you keep going like this you will get better for every pic u make.

Hope this helped and keep up the good work^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments Lotet. I agree that maybe my plane or whatever isn't the best design there is, although i tried to follow the instructions of Scott Robertsons dvd from gnomon workshop to the letter. You all who like to draw things like that should look that dvd up actually. I found it very helpful. Anyways , i tried to draw it to a perspective grid and everything. If it's off then maybe i made a mistake, or the shadowing is not correct, but it looked pretty accurate on paper. The light on the left(i dont actually know the spots you refer) comes from what i intended to be a bounce light. Maybe too harsh?
    Even if it sounds like i try to defend myself, i'm using mouse to draw these sketches and god knows i can't draw a straight line with that even if my life depended on it and i'm too lazy to use the ps ruler. The point was to get accurate values and good squint test going on. I can always tighten the lines after my tablet arrives(Thanks DHL for being already a week late on delivery)
    I really appreciate all the input i get. Thank you.

Last edited by Sphisis; December 17th, 2006 at 03:35 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just tightened jet fighter pic some more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looking a lot better now

and yeah,using a mouse is like hell, when you get a wacom it will all get better

keep up the good work^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    old blimb picture revisited. Made some minor changes to backround and middleground and made completely new foreground. Don't pay attention to the text below =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ...aaand another version from the jet fighter.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice, the blimp picture turned out really well, i love the cartoony style you did on it and the little space shippy, really nice. ^^

keep posting dude, ur starting to get quite good on this lol, no but really. its getting better and better for every post, so keep posting =P

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.