Drawing the Human Form In Perspectives
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Drawing the Human Form In Perspectives

Hi all. I am currently teaching myself the human form. I hope to be able to draw the human form in many poses and at many angles. I can draw both the male and female from the front and profile but nothing beyond that point. I'd like to know if there a technique that makes it easier to draw a figure in different perspectives (without a dummy if possible). Also if there is a way to simplify gestures too, I'd like to know about it. The gestures are not as important right now but it would be appreciated. Thank you.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My question to you would be when you do draw the male & female forms now, how do you construct them?

Can you break them down into the simplified shapes such as cubes, spheres, cones, etc.? Because if you can break them down to simpler forms, it should be easier for you to put the figure into perspective by altering the perspective of the shapes and then going back in to render the finer details of the anatomy.

But I'm starting to wonder if you really know how to simply build a human form or are you just technically good at reproducing the front & profile of the form. Learn to simplify first by drawing quick gestures on the spinal movement and start attaching those previously mentioned cubes, spheres and cones to that important movement line.

And keep drawing it over and over. Hopefully this helps somewhat.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the reply. I am able to construct the form using a skeleton but I have never really tried the doing it with simplified shapes. I have heard of the method but I never really looked into it. Could you link me to an introduction or even a picture would do, I just want to know exactly what to look for.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't seem to dredge up anything in particular at the moment but I do remember seeing in the How To Draw Comics the Marvel Way a section where John Buscema (God rest his soul) shows this method of blocking the figure out and simplifies it. If you have access to that book it'd be ideal. In the meantime, let me think if I can come up with a quick source for you to look at.

Also check out the book, "Anatomy and Perspective: The Fundamentals of Figure Drawing". It might help.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Take a look at Kimon Nicolaides book, The Natural Way to Draw and Robert Beverly Hale's Drawing Lessons From The Great Masters. Learning to draw people will take time and alot of drawing! Go one step at a time. Look for an intro to life drawing course...and don't expect to be an 'artist' in 10 easy lessons.

Members who have read this thread: 1