Sketchbook: hitchhiking the world of drawing (progress thread) - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: hitchhiking the world of drawing (progress thread)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff man. Keep it up. I really like all the proportion stuff you're doing. They really show improvement. Your SPs are getting better too. On the last one, I think the eyes and nose show good observation, but the mouth still looks like you didn't "see" it. Next time don't draw the shape of the lips you see, draw the shapes of the shadows and highlights that define the lips. Then fill them in with the values you see and erase as necessary. Also I agree that a softer pencil would make the shading easier and would help you increase the contrast.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    #23 - some stuff before getting sleep... :yawns:

@ golgari: thanks. i use: 6B and recently i did often use B, because i don't like very soft pencils, but you're probably right. I'm gonna try a 3B for the shading...

@ Jeff: thanks, i'll try to handle those shadows in the way you mentoined it...

ok. i'm back from holydays but still _very_ tired. However, i made those two pics some minutes ago.

Some more skeletons. I know i should work on the skin, but i've just been too tired to really concentrate.

Some mage thing. Tried to work a bit more with neg Space to achieve an atmosphere...

antihero :yawns:

» hitchhiking... (progress thread)
    » circum

rising to fall

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey antihero...
    had nice holidays? where have you been to?

good stuff. i like the way you used the negative space, makes the flamey hands indeed quite a lot more expressive.
    maybe you should slowly start turning to a more textured or detailled look, since your poses are pretty good, i'd say.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    #24 - angel & proportions & sketches

@golgari - yes, really nice holidays... I helped out in a childrens holiday camp and it was veery funny and of course also exhausting... so i'm still trying to get some sleep i missed last week...
    Thanks for the encouragement, i think i'm going to start with specific body parts in the next few days...

I just wanted to do some more proportion stuff because i'm still having problems to get the correct proportions down... Does anyone recommends a good book or online tutorial (cheaper )?

Thanks. Here's my today Stuff (used no reference at all):

as i said, i'm still having problems to do correct proportions. I made some more excercises but they're not that good.

I made this more as a sketch so the head looks really weird. i tried to give him some "tribal" tatoos... hum, not too good either,

Hey! my first angel! since i saw the angelpic from McM i really wanted to do an angel on my own. i made some sketches before but they turned out very crappy. Yesterday evening i started to scribble around and suddenly... this happend. lacking some detail, i know. But i'm starting to love negatice space...

ok, and i made another sketchpage. It was really funny, i wanted to do some skeletons and the first/big one turned out nice. After the big one i lost concentration and wrote "ain't no sunshine when she's gone" in a few different ways. Well... you dont _have to_ look at it...

critics and comments appreciated... do i need to say that?

antihero

» circum

rising to fall

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that angel is cool. i especially like his wings and his legs.
    concerning your proportion sketches...do you think of the skeleton when you draw them? because your skeletons' proportion do look pretty good, i think. if you think of the skeleton as a basis and then just try to draw the skin which is put ontop of it, it shouldn't be that hard, should it?

i like that guy pointing on the no-sunshine-sign while saying "when she's gone"...hrhr...and yeah, that big skeleton guy isn't too bad either.
    you're pretty good in doing foreshortened things out of imagination...how do you do this? any mysterious technique you could introduce me to?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    #25 - f r u s t r a t i o n got me

@golgari - thanks well it's a give and take thing so... yoga is the key! seriously, i barely know what foreshortening is. i heard it some times and read some posts where it was mentioned but i don't exactly know _what_ foreshortening is. Short explanaition, and maybe i can reveal my secrets...

Today was kind of a bad day. the weather was somehow hot, even though it rained during the whole day. Drawing was like weather.

I _hate_ it. i tried to do everything better and concentrated on shading and shading and shading and it started ok. then i changed an ear. then i corrected several mistakes somehow it tuned just pure 100% shit. however... i'm gonna try another one later on... made two more pages with sketches but the weather seems to hunt me down...

well (hopefully) after rain, the sun will shine again...

antihero

» circum

rising to fall

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am with you antihero...I know EXACTLY what you mean. I feel like that happens to all the stuff I do. I do the same thing as well...I write all over the pages to release my frustration. Keep trudging on ward you are improving that is for sure!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey anti i like that battle mage but the head seems a bit odd. really cool stuff. what works for me is relaxing. frustration can occur and it does happen, we arent all perfect but its cool and just go with it .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm, well...foreshortening (or "verkürzung", as it's called in german) is the effect that when you put 3-dimensional objects in 2 dimensions (which is exactly what you do when drawing), they get bigger the closer they are to you and they do cover up things behind them. for example, if you draw someone who's holding his head right in front of your head, you draw a pretty big hand and probably you draw nothing of the arm behind it (because it's covered up by the hand). uhm. don't know if that explanation really helped, if not, ask!
    anyway, if i'm just drawing from life it's not thaaat hard to do foreshortened things, because you have it all right in front of you. but when doing things from imagination, i always get crazy doing it...

concerning your latest effort - don't worry. we all get frustrated, periodically. i think i had my last down-phase only one or 2 days ago. i hope my motivation keeps climbing up now and doesn't sink down again tomorrow...
    and yeah, the problem about the whole thing of paying really close attention while drawing from life is that you usually also need more time to do this, and often it's hard to keep in the same pose for so long. it happens to me all the time, too - i change my pose without noticing it, then i check back with my drawing, think that i made a fault, change something, it doesn't look right, i change the next thing and so i keep going over my whole drawing, thinking all i drew before was wrong, when in reality it just was a different pose - which is really frustrating...
    the first face doesn't look all too bad, though. at least one can make out some improvements. the shading around the eyes gets better. you just need a little more contrast...don't be afraid to put down really dark tones, blacken it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey I agree with golgari...You're seeing things. better. I like the little reflected light you caught on the left side with your eraser. Also, I agree that you need more contrast. Just a small tip, I don't know if you already do, but for me it helps to shade with the side of my pencil instead of the tip, and hold it way back at the back of the pencil.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    #26 - figures, figures, figures and... oh well... figures

@all - thanks a lot for every line of encouragement! This helps a lot!

I will specificly answer to your posts in two days, i wont post again before because i need some time for drawing (posting takes a lot of time ) and have several other things to manage, so i'll be back in 2 days.

Thanks to golgari, he gave me this advice to think with skeletons and draw in human forms with flesh, muscles and skin (don't forget their fat )... So, here is the first page i made with this in my mind. Maybe you can only see a big huge mess, but i have the feeling that i'm getting closer to what i'm longin for... There are still several mistakes but they were all done veeeeery fast and without reference.

i made some more of them but lookin at it would not help you a lot...

I'll be back for sure! Only away to search a piece of improvement, willing to join me...

antihero

PS: thanks again for your comments, feel free to not post until i have posted the new ones... i think for now, i know what i have to work at... (my english )

» circum

rising to fall

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    #27 - had some problems "figuring" it out...

Sooo... well, here i am again. First some answers:

@MCM: Thanks a lot! I think one of the hardest things in drawing (life general?) is that you get accustomed to your own improvement rapidly. Hours after you realized that you improved, you allready start to get uncontented again with what you've done... But i think it's the only thing that can keep you on doing something constantly; not being contented with yourself.
    //end rambling now

@endregan: yeah, relaxing works for me too... It's just hard to get back to work after relaxing, i'm sort of a lazy pile...

@golgari: thanks man! I think i understand what "foreshortening" is about... so i feel really sorry because there is no secret i could reveal about that (interested in a cindy crawford story? )... Thanks again for your comments. More contrast would definitely be a good idea... I'm gonna try it.

@Jeff: Someone mentioned it (shading with the side of pencil) before but seems like i allways forgot that. Thanks man!

so, now everyone has it's answer let's have a look at my recent stuff. I didn't worked out as i planed. Nevermind, i think the theory is now clear... what i do need now is... practice, practice, practice, etc.

Anyway here's some of the interesting stuff i made (i won't post everything because i made a shitload full of sketches that won't interest you much... )

This is me practicing the proportions stuff, you can see some half-skeleton-half-body things. I made some more of these and they were really helpfull.

Some more proportion stuff. Tried to just draw the body in different poses. Turned out... As you can see, i left some of the skeletons untouched, made some figures with the same poses on a different page, but they turned out bad

At Last, i made some more "Drawings" that took some more time to finish. I drew the bones first and layed flesh & muscles above it. Here we go:

Not too good and sort of rushed.

I like this one...

This one looks best to me, because i drew the whole body. It looks a bit too slim and there are some mistakes, but overall the result is acceptable.

Of course this stuff was all done without reference.

Thanks for taking the time to have a look at my stuff... Comments and Critics appreciated again.

antihero

» circum

rising to fall

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looks good to me. using skeletons as a basis seems to work really well - the poses look good, the proportions seem right.
    maybe now it might be interesting to look for the main muscle masses and add them ontop the skeleton. also, think of the volume! your last sketches all look very good & correct, but, at least for me, they somehow lack a little bit a sense of volume...always think about the fact that you're drawing solids here...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool I can see youre getting better at the body already, steadily improving. good work. . Im currently goign through a bridgman book and the plane theory works really well, get to see how it all is formed in masses then can add detail once its understood. very good book . keep at it man, i might have to start my own thread soon too !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    # 28 - sketches

@golgari: Thanks and you're right. I'm gonna have an eye on that.

@endregan: Bridgeman seems to be a good book. Can you give the name of the one you're working with? Would be cool to see your work in a thread!

@admins: If you're reading this... maybe it would be a good idea to create a subforum in the "Life Drawing" Forum because there seem to be whole load of daily-threads now... For all the guys who really _do_ Life drawing it must be very hard to get spammed by Noobs... I've allready seen that you opened a "Daily Sketchbook" Section in the "Sketches" Board. Maybe moving our Threads in here would be agood idea... What do you think?

oh well. Was my last day in apprenticeship so i did not have a lot of time to draw. Anyway here's the page i made today:

I tried to give the pictures some more contrast but after a while i started to just ramble around...

I'm gonna give it another try today (I need more patience again)...
    sorry, that's all for today...

antihero

» circum

rising to fall

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ya, I've been thinking the same thing about moving these threads. We all copied MindCandyMan by putting them here, but it seems like they should be in the sketchbook section. I wonder if it's possible to move them there... Any moderators listening?

That minotaur looks like a good start. Not perfect but his head and chest look pretty solid. Some shading would perk him right up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey anti. the book name is Bridgman's Complete Guide to Drawing From Life. Amazing book, all of his books compiled, fully details with words and pictures, sketches etc. Very good and I am learning a lot about the body!

Your minotaur looks cool. youre using pen and inks right? I like it. keep at it

I made a daily sketchbook thread, got a couple scans in if you want to head over there and check me out. Seeya around

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    #29 - Master Copy

@Jeff - Thanks! I'm gonna PM a Mod about our Threads... Though i'm not glad to join the daily sketchbook board. It makes you feel like just another unimportant one posting daily sketches... but... actually that's what we really are.

@endregan: Thanks for the books name... Maybe i'll order it. oh well, and i saw your thread and replied (i think you noticed that on your own ).

So here we go. I'm currently enjoying my Holidays and i had a bit mroe time to draw today. However, i decided to do something completely different again. Started to get bored because of just allways doing figures... And again and again and again...
    So i picked a cool Frazetta Picture and tried to copy it. golgari once said that it would be cool to take one that benefits what i'm currently workin on, but i couldn't resist to take this one. However, patience is also important so it will still be a good excercise.

Here we go. I made four steps to show how i worked. The first three steps are shown as small images, you can click em to get a bigger scaled version, if you're interested.

1. Step
    I made some _very, very_ basic color background and laid a black sketch-layer above it. Tried to sketch the contures and some shades.

2. Step
    Laid a more specific color-layer above the others. Used the sketch layer to place the colors.

3. Step
    Started to paint the details. I chose the head to start. I moved the sketch Layer on top of the others to have a clear basic overview.

4. Step
    So this is what i've done so far. Corrected the shoulder and added first details to his axe. Also corrected the eyes.

I'm going to work some more on this one because it's really funny and i enjoy it...

antihero

PS: i worked with size 1200x1600 px in a 300dpi resolution. With this one, i used oils, most the "Flat"- and the "Detail"-Types. Should i go bigger next time or take a different tool?

» circum

rising to fall

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice i really like that pic its coming a long nicely. keep at it, dont stop now just keep on it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Agreed, that looks awesome so far. I can't wait to see it finished. Makes me want to try one. Just remember-- don't copy for the sake of copying. Copy to learn why that artist did what he did (I'm sure you knew that already). Keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    :happybirt #30 - Master Copy & SP

Thanks for the encouragement guys!
    @Jeff: Yeah i knew that, but still a good advice because i tend to drift away (in thoughts) while drawing...

I worked again on that Masters copy. I think Master Copies are a lot about Patience. Anyway, it was still fun. I worked on the axe and corrected some mistakes and worked a bit on the background...
    Hmm, i think the axe still needs some work, especially the shaft.

And i made another Selfportrait. I could puke about that last one... oh well, it does not "look" too bad. i mean, this is not completely different to my face. But the way i drew just absolutely sucks, i mean the "style". blabla. Don't know, these Sp's are a hard thing for me... Definitely got to work on that...

That's all folks.

antihero

» circum

rising to fall

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey antihero,
    that master copy looks great so far. also, i think the frazetta pic is still better than that shepherd-picture, since it concentrates more on figures/volumes/anatomy and on contrast than on the feeling of special colours, so it might be suiting you a little bit better.
    think of the horses feet, you don't have them planned at the moment at all. other than that, keep on going. also (as jeff already pointed out in a way), think of what frazetta wanted to picture instead of just copying colour areas. for example, in the background he wanted to create the thought of a fire, of something burning in the background. although you roughly noted some basic colours of his, they don't at at all remind me of a fire. think of that stuff....
    your portraits are improving, keep at it. the contrast is already getting better. maybe think of the fact that in the face, you rarely see really "closed" shapes, it's all very fluently. your eyes and especially your brows still look much too "isolated" from the rest of the face...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    #31 - Master Copy & some sketches (figures again )

@golgari: you're right with the advantages of the frazetta-pic. Erhm... about the fire thing, i think i made those orange strokes only to keep in mind that this area has some different color in it... But i _will_ think about what frazetta wanted to show...
    Thanks for the face-comments, i'm gonna try another one later on...

So... today was kind of a good day for drawing. First i got really frustrated because the Sp i tried to do failed in a terrible sort of way. i made some more but they all lacked... patience. I wont post em because, as i said, they just lack patience and "draw-what-you-see". I'm gonna try more tomorow.
    Then i worked again on the frazetta pic and it is still funny. After that, i went outside and sketched around and tried to work on my figures from imagination... Well here are the results.

(Again a small pic, click it to see the large one.)

I worked on the background, sketched the first bird and worked on the shield. The "bird-logo" took a lot of time, and i started to shade the bottom part, still needs a lot of work. Frazetta putted a lot of structure in ithe shield so it appears really used and has some buckles in it. The bird is not too good and i'm gonna repaint it because it is more a bird out of imagination than the one frazetta painted.

Figures, Figures, Figures... Some skeletons and some Muscle-Dudes...

I noticed that i diregarded the life-drawing part of my journey (only made SP's)... So here's an apple i painted today. It was really small (the pic is about 110% of its height) so the picture turned out small too (at least i drew what i saw... ). sorry, i'm gonna do a bigger one tomorrow...

Bye for now... :beam:

antihero

» circum

rising to fall

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    those frazetta pic is going a good way
    pretty good basic shading, now you just need to experiment with highlights and shadows and to try to get that structure down. also i think the bird is quite good; don't know what's your problem with it
    the figures are off here and there, but all in all they show your usual good dynamic pose...the apple looks good, too.
    maybe a little bit more contrast and less "stroky-ness" would have been nice, but that's maybe just my personal taste

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey almost forgot where to find you man! Love your latest sketches, their in ink right? I have attempted some ink here and there but I do pencils more. Your masters copy is looking great, dont forget to keep at it and keep us updated!

cant wait till your next batch man, your anatomy is great. This also reminds me I have to do some life drawing, still lifes and such, thanks!! Good work on the apple, do some more !!

cheers :chug:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    #32 - Master Copy & Co

@golgari: thanks!

@endregan: Yes ink. I like ink a lot. Thanks for the encouragement, i'm workin at my anatomy to become great...

So here we are again. I made another Life Drawin, because that seems to be important.

It really looked weird and reflected nearly everywhere so it turned out a bit confusing...

I made another pic, but it was a Header for a letter and... well, the letter was sent this afternoon, before i could scan it...

Anyway, i worked again on the Frazetta Pic

I worked on the shield and tried to "finish" the shading. I think it is not completely finished, the structure needs more details, but for now, it's ok. Damit, that was a hard piece of work and took me about 1 hour, but i really like the result. Maybe a Closeup would be good...

And again some Figures. Not too good, just sketches and they're worser than the last ones... However:

thanks for allways commenting guys!
    Might be, that i can't post tomorrow, don't worry, i'll be ok and not stopping...

antihero

» circum

rising to fall

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that life drawing is good!! I must do a couple and post em . Love your anatomy studies. the top and bottom ones are really good, I especially like how you're going into awkward hard-to-manage poses which is cool . The frazetta master is coming along nice too

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    #33 - Master Copy (wip)

@endregan: thanks...

As i said, not much time today. I only worked on my Masters copy and it was... funny though i made some big mistakes. I started to work on the saddle today. Frazetta putted a stunning amount of details in the saddle, so it will take up some more time. i decided to paint the background first and then lay the ornaments above. So i started and it went along nice, until i realized that my color choice was just... ehrm. terrible. Look at it:
    Saddle-Painting (Mistake-WIP)

Here's the whole picture as usual in a smaller size (click to enlarge).

antihero

» circum

rising to fall

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    #34 - Mixed stuff

Hello again,

a lot of things going on right now. today is the first of August. This is a national celebration day.
    However. here's some mixed stuff from today (& yesterday). I also worked on the Masters Copy but i think i'll wait with the update until the saddle (structure) is finished. Give me some time...

Here we go:

Worked on several "animalish" creatures.

First one was sort of a crab. Maybe a bit inspired by the Game "Rune" (Kind of an ego-hack'n'slay Game, i like it, though it's allready "old").

Hmmm... Sort of a dino-dragon. Not too good.

Don't know what this is. Started as a figure, turned into a gargoyle and somehow looks a bit like a harpye...

Made some more figure-drawings. Here are two of em:

I tried to make at least a rough shading. Thats the result. More to come.

Tried to not allways draw naked figures. Well and... it's at least a beginning.

This was a first draft of the upper leg bone. I think i'm now gonna try to work a bit more on specific parts of the human body. First a basic bone structure and then some muscles & Flesh above it. However. That's as well... a beginning.

Finally i sketched aroung a bit and heres one of several Sketchpages.

Have a nice day, y'all!

antihero

» circum

rising to fall

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice , those bones look great. your imagination is good too, i like those creatures . I think whats next for both of us really is to start shading in what we learn and just keep at it, we shall march into art together, ready for anything.

Love your progress man! I will be posting some scans in my thread today so lookout for them .

take care

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2