Sketchbook: EMEYS' Sketchbook
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: EMEYS' Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

EMEYS' Sketchbook

Last edited by emeys; June 12th, 2007 at 07:19 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Crits form left to right.

#1 I assume that's you or some ref you have two pictures of. Ok, the angle of the ear is abit too exaggerated. Good bit feels a little low or maybe the slope of the zygomatic bone on the left side of the face is either too pronouced or the left not enough. Or maybe real face is ( pardon me if that's you)

# 2 Look at that grill! This one feel different than the first. The hair seem more like a tool to hide the lack of ears (but that's just me) Anatomy of the Skull is off I think. The left cheeks mid line and right cheeks lower one make her look like she has a rather large innermouth.

# 3 Same girl from one right? That or twins haha. Well at this point I really want to see the ref you used. Because i cant decide whether she has high or mid lvl cheek bones. Overall it's ok but the left zygomatic betrays the lack of a visible ear.

I'll leave number four to someone else Ok. Crits are great but varying perceptive are better.

One last question when did you start sketching these were they quickes backgrd sometimes help the critique and how long have you been into art?

(Hope that wasn't Too harsh)

BTW WELCOME TO ConceptART.org

congrat on your 1st post. I'll comeback when you update K

ciao

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

THANKS NICORaven...!!!!

Dear most NicoRaven…!
    First of all THANK YOU VERY MUCH for such a constructive feedback and criticism… I really appreciate your effort. There are lots of flaws in these sketches which I can also notice NOW…..! after this detailed analysis.
    Don’t worry it is not ME. Hahahaha. (#1 and #3) She is a colleague of mine in the office. In some free time I tried to sketche out-lines only and then finalized it some other time….just as imagination….No photo reference. That’s why there are lot of proportional and anatomy problems. (#2 & #4 is the same girl pictures from a magazine).
    Since when I am sketching.? Let me tell you that since my school days….but not continuously after a very long breaks of years and months….may be some time five years some time more lengthy breaks. Because of other activities such as different kind of jobs and above all using PC damn it… and when I saw some illustration work of some one again I started but not as permanently as it requires. But to be very frank my passion for drawing some thing never dies, in that whole period BUT now I am seriously working and engaged in daily sketching when ever there is nothing to do seriously like as at the time of watching TV or if there is some free time in the office, tea break or lunch break etc. I have my sketchbooks always with me in my bag.
    I hope that this kind of feed back and guidance will be continue from you and all other friends for what I have joined this unique forum, to over come these flaws in my sketching. I also practicing some oil painting (figure work) and some time calligraphy,
    I must share what I have had done in past years I will share that work here, previous and surely NEW one too, But Mostly New Work because my all previous work is on the web site also (which is almost complete and ready to upload in next week hopefully.)

Thanks once Again.
    Cheeeeeeeeeers….!!! Have A Nice Day.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Some More From My Sketchbook

Hello EveryOne....!!!!
    Here are some more sketches from my sketch book have alook and share your comments....thanks .....

Attached Images Attached Images                        

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Check this couple of new sketches....cheeers

EMEYS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up Some More From My Sketchbook 15-12-06

Hello Every Body.....Cheeeeeeeeers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good to see u started ur sketchbook
    i'd like to suggest one thing..hope u wont mind..Try to study the construction...feel the form from outside as well as inside..assume that each and every form is made of glass..i hope this make any sense...

Keep up the good work..and thanx for the kind words in my Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

hey! thanks for your nice comment on my sketchbook...im just gonna do a quick run through of your sketchbook like NicoRaven did, starting from post #4. i hope u dont mind

1.i really like how u used many different ways of shading in this piece, makes it very experimental and interesting

2. the facial anatomy is pretty nice in this piece, except here u begin a trend i noticed quickly in all of your portraits that follow: the eyes. you have an idea about what the eye should look like...and it seems you are simply applying that idea to all of your pieces, at the moment many of them seem to suffer from a "open staring" kind of shape that doesn't change much through out... i would suggest doing some separate studies of eyes with special attention to eye "lids" and the area around the eyes...i know this doesn't apply to all of your drawings and there are some individual eyes drawn scattered around your sketches so i wont elaborate on this anymore
    anyways...another issue of this piece would be that the hand&arm positions seem a bit awkward and rigid, no doubt a problem that stemmed from the fact that the page has cut off the rest of the arm, leading you unable to check for any errors easily. also some separate hair strands would be good (eg: hanging over her hand) as at the moment they are kinda grouped together. lastly... the piece is kinda lacking or contains a very difficult to place light source, from what i can see the light seems to be coming from the left , try using more contrast to show lighting and shade

alright...now that i got most of the big issues out of the way in no#1 this should be much faster...
    EDIT: or maybe not......

3. this piece shows definite improvement from the last altho the eyes still sort of bug me, try using different line widths to show light and shadow instead of the eye as a single "2-D shape". also another important point would be try shading in the eye WHITES, i know that they are called eye whites but they're usually under shading too from the eye lid and other sources...try and think of the eyeball as a 3-d ball and you'll see what i mean.
    another thing, try not to draw your eye lashes individually and with bold thick strokes...instead maybe just a few touches around the eye, that combined with some shading can go a long way.
    that sort of works for how you do the lips too...the lines look kinda artificial and not really realistic...try using contrast of dark shading and bright highlights to bring out the lips more
    lastly, the light source is more definite in this piece, but dont be afraid crank up the contrast more.
    PS: great improvement on the hair compared to the last piece, and dont chicken out on the hand next time

4. getting better! but same old same old...add more "life" into those eyes
    better eye lashes by far! and better hair...try applying that to how u do the eye brows. work on your ears a bit more...try using some reference. and lastly...more contrast and clear lighting!!! you've totally lost me on the neck... the left side should have a far thicker line width (seems like u rubbed it out? ) as it is in the shade plus the right side should have some shading too as the cloth should block the light source from the right...
    PS: forgot to mention this b4...dont forget the muscles and form of the neck

5. getting even more better! same old same old, eyes, contrast u know the drill also watch your alignment (ears,eyes etc) btw i've noticed that starting from the last drawing u've started to draw that groovy part (sorry dunno what its called ) above the mouth, great job! and much better lips too!

6. great still life, try using some of these contrasts and highlights in ur shading of the face

7. omg much better! individual hair, check. variation of line width on eyes, check. great eyebrows, check. contrast...well more that the pieces before...so yay! awsome work....(maybe i should've looked at all the drawings in depth before i started writing all the critique above
    but yeah.....watch alignment as always (flip your page around and hold it up to the light to check for mistakes constantly), missing that bit above the mouth but its a kid so i forgive u (wait...at least i think it is... )
    PS: watch your ears as always...the angle and what it actually looks like b4 u draw it

8. arrg...so much..how should i do this...starting from top left, watch those eyelashes and lips.......bottom left, omg contrast yay! except add some more mid-tones .......middle...watch those lashes on them eyes...and the pupil isn't just one black circle ...........bottom middle....watch the ears (lower) and the alignment of the eyes. good lips but more shading around it
    PS: your faces are getting a bit long...with the hair placed extremely high.
    PPS: the nose is a bit rounder that that ..........top right, great emotions in this eye...altho sadly its off alignment again (dont worry i do it all the time too) and yeah... keep up the contrast, u're doing good.......bottom right is pretty good, loving that contrast...add some mid tones and u're good to go, also watch those lips and ears. (ears lower a bit and lips off symmetry

9. watch those hairs again...(getting real high and chucky ) plus the heads are a bit too small compared to the body. also...draw some ears .
    the boy on the right is pretty good, great job starting with bringing out the form of the neck and chin, and as always...watch those ears, and those eyes.

10. great job! more contrast! (in the hair to bring out the shape of the skull). different shape for eyes! watch the anatomy of the hand! but yeah...great work anyways

11. left ..............words fail me........YAY FOR CONTRAST!!! might be a bit much on the neck tho great job on the baby(?) to the right....but yeah...watch the shape of those eyes...love the bottom guy (i think?) altho the shading of his cheek is a bit confusing

12. OMG yes! what can i say...contrast... i love it and ears too! i should stop typing this now since u're doing everything right lol...
    btw the pinky on the hand is kinda confusing

13. just some general tips... good work on alignment (a bit off in the eyes of bottom middle), but work on those eyes and i dont think the nose can be a perfectly line straight like that (top left)

14. keep up the shading with some more mid-tones, and watch those long faces and pointing noses ( top left)

15. great sketches...watch those necks (too thing top left, and u seem to be ignoring the veins and artieries of the neck so far...)

16. better contrast...but still some old issues pop up again, the hair line is too high and needs some individual strands of hair. and u know it....as always, eyes and neck!

17. great job! however the horizon line seems to be higher on the right (draw some quick lines to mark down the perspective points b4 u start to remind u where things are supposed to be)

18. and finally.......i come to the last sketch...i actually like the eyes in this piece for two reasons: one, its a different shape to what u normally draw and full of character! secondly, GREAT job on the pupils (now u just need some more.......u guessed it.......contrast with shading!!!)
    also...i know the nose might be random but....i finding it hard to imagine how it just pops out from the left like that...remember how the form of shapes work if something sticks out like that there must be muscles...which leads to one "popping out" more..which means highlight and shading. right now it just pops out of the blue from the left and looks like a sticker on his face

alright......thats all from me.......i know im a pretty crappy artist so what i say doesn't really hold alot of weight, but the points i've made are all from some personal experiences (most of which are mistakes i still make and i constantly remind myself of them *coughcontrastcough* *coughcrappyeyescough* *coughoffalignmentcough*) but i hope what i've said have been useful to you...... hope we can all improve together

PS: screw what i said at the beginning about "a quick run through", guess i cant even keep my mouth shut in the virtual world

PPS: yes, i am really bored

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, not much to add to the great post of paperX. in general i would just say that you should follow his and shyamshriram's advice and think about what's underneath the skin. the construction lines in some of your sketches show that you already think about proportions, so you're on your way there. don't hesitate to put down measurement lines - i did that for a very long time. afetr a while you won't need them anymore, but it helps a lot. hope to see more soon, cheers!
    stine

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wink Thanks A Lot Dear Paperx

Thanks a lot Dear bro SHYAM for your kind comments and positive feed back I must keep in my mind at the time of drawing NEXT time. Cheeeers See U SOON.

O..MY GOD,....O M GOD.....O...MY GOD.!!!pld:
    DEAR PAPERX....
    IT seems that still now I was doing all of this with colsed eyes....

Why I join this forum tooooooooo LATE..... how long I Missed People LIKE YOU... That kind of Guidance….. Constructive feed back which means to me A REAL EDUCATION AND TRAINING….. how can I cover that deficiency from this forum …. ????
    Dear Paperx You Really make me think a lot….. SO kind of You…. Dear. After reading all your detailed X-ray report I am feeling that until yet I am standing so far from real drawing kind a thing. So I have to must restart again from a Zero Level….. with kind help and guidance of you people. And I will must if I m a little bit interested in Drawing. And sure I will no matter I received guidance too late doesn’t matter, as it is never too be late to start again. If the kind help and guidance will be along with me continuously…. And hope fully it will. And I must re-start from Today and will present my work here for your guidance.

Dear PaperX I must admit that you make me think in that direction with your “CONSTRUCTIVE" feedback, the time u spent on writing all of this is really appreciable. Bundle of thanks. My Dear.

THANK YOU SO MUCH STINE… for your kind suggestions and appreciation, looking forward for the same in the future tooooooo…..THANKS ONCE AGAIN….. and a request if you please give me some more HINTS… and Guidance, it will be really helpful to me to overcome the flaws and weaknesses in my sketches, to cover the big gape in a very limited time span. Thanks once again.

EMEYS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

lol sorry for replying so late but yeah...gee...... it was no big deal really. i just had too much time on my hands at the time. anyways, im not as great as u think to give "guidance" but i dont mind coming by and dropping comments if u find them worthwhile

as for hints...i would suggest keep on drawing for a start, thats a problem i have too. and also, try drawing more of the human body rather than just the head as it can give u a clearer understanding of how the head relates to the body as a whole. and some studies off books and master's paintings can also help alot as u can study how the pros deal with value, contrast, colour theory, composition and all sorts of important stuff.

here are some suggestions worth noting: (u probably know these already or heard ppl talking about them)
    books by Andrew Loomis
    books by Burne Hogarth
    books by George B.Bridgman
    Mentler's Thread
    RebeccaK's great thread on Opposing Curves
    try doing this if u have the time

there are many more but these are the ones that i can think of off the top of my head at the moment...
    oh yeah....try drawing from some reference:
    http://www.characterdesigns.com/
    http://www.fineart.sk/

hope that helps

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

From My Sketch Book 20-01-07

Helleo Friends.....
    Thanks a lot For Very helpfull and positive type of Feed back , which really encourage me enough to draw and draw more till drop.... ..... Here is some more stuff ..... I am Going to share with You for your critics and comments..... ..... Hope for the Same from all Friends Thanks a lot so nice of YOU....

Dear PaperX ..... I Love Your Efort for sharing these Helpful LINKS...Love You Dear.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very good start the last couple of pages of studies are looking good. Whenever you are sketching from life or ref, look carefully how things line up, the distance from other areas, and the size of a feature in comparison to the other features. This can be quite frustrating when doing a portrait since one small miscalculation can change the entire appearance.

Sketchbook :: Blog

Trying is the first step towards failure.

Homer Simpson, The Simpsons

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

hey man, dont worry about it so much lol...those links i recommended to u aren't exactly great secrets

about ur new stuff:

the first page i can see is some loomis and hogarth studies im guessing? keep working on those man they can go along way.

i like ur experimentation with faces on the second page, altho im not too sure about the jaws of the old lady's face to the far left...dont be afraid to go off the page oh yeah the shading on the skull is just spectacular keep that level of quality up~!

the third page is great as i see u have gone back to more of ur usual studies. try to make the iris of the eyes darker so that the highlight pops out more.

the arms of the lady on the 4th page (left) isn't consistant in length, flip ur page and hold it up to the light to catch little mistakes like this. oh yeah i like your use of contrast more now plus the ref'd sketch of the man on pc is great. (maybe move his shoulders up a bit more? not really sure about that one because his shirt is so puffy lol)

5. on ur faces try to have the upper eye lid case some shadow and be darker like the one on the bottom left

6. this page is some great practice but i must warn u be careful with the shading - the lady on the right dont simply put a line down the middle of her face and shade that, you should take in to account the shape of her forehead and gradually shape it out with shading. also the face of looking downwards her forehead would be sort of alright if it was in profile...but since its foreshortened it is faaaaar to long. her hair line should begin much lower

7. some great eyes..just remember to make the iris darker in some of them and shade the eye whites too!

8. another great page...i like the eyes at the top of the page (or in this case to the left) remember to shade the eye lids too

so yeah...thats about it lol.... u've been improving alot so keep up the great work! every update u upload alot at once...i would suggest a more regular update schedule so u can attract more people to help you on ur art

Keep at it!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Tones of thanks for Feed Back...Nobie aand PaperX.

Thank you so much Great Noobie ... for coming in and sharing great tips…. These are very basic things but some time they slip away from mind during concentration only on drawing…. Thanks again for visiting my SB and sharing your valuable thoughts.
    Thanks a lot paperX …. for every thing every word….. These links are valuable treasure for a person like me who is under training…..these links worth much more for me….once again thanks for sharing.

Yes You are absolutely right, I got it from this same site, just to practice and activate my hand for further sketching….

Thanks a lot for liking the shading on the skull I am really to much excited after your comment, O…! My God…. Help me to maintain and improve my level of sketching and would never ever disappoint paperX….!

Sir….Point noted….about iris…

The sketch of the lady I drew at the moment watching a TV show, she was hosting that show. Yes u r right about arms….

Thanks for liking “The man on PC” sketch, it is a little try of life sketching he is my colleague seated next to me. (Time spent not more than 10 minutes).

(5.) Point noted about eye lid shading. Thanks for the deep inspection dear paperX.

(6. this ……) I got it sir….next time I must try to be more careful about the shading.

(7. some great eyes.) Thanks for liking.

(8. another great page...) Wow…It indicates a little improvement…Thanks a lot Dear.

(so yeah...thats about it lol.... u've been improving alot ….) Unbelievable….Thank u Thank u So much….OK boss Next time I will try to upload one or two pages that should be more easy for me and for inviting more visitors to my lil SB……!

WOW….what a feedback …… sho nishe of u shir…..Please keep helping me….at your convenience in the future toooooooooo …. Cheeeeeers … have nice day. Dear Friend.

I will try to post some more ASAP.

emeys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Back after a while.....

Hello Dear Friends....Well I am Just Back to the pavilion....after a break.....for some reasons, not imp. to discuss.....OK so I was engaged in same business as usual.....will post my work here with some unbreak able contiuity....HOPE so this time.

So here is the first one is a girl face, first drew it in pencil work all shadding etc.... then just try to watercolor it....for experiment.....lol.

2nd is a caricature drawing of my beloved comic friend (a collegue also), it is a quick pen sketch just in 20 minnutes.

Share your comments Please. See ya sooooooooooooooon.

Cheeers

EMEYS...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello Every one

Here the 1st one is a Pen ink work, a little concept art, "The Dating Tree" a traditional meeting place in country side areas for "love Birds. They Used to see each other at a very crucial time YES 12 to 1-00 at Burning HOT noon (50digree centigrade), time, 'cos there is no one else at that time ..... amazing "LOVE POWER".

2nd, "The Traditional Butcher", in a meat shop, from whom I used to buy meat, when he becomes bussy in sorting out meat peices which one to sell out immidiately and which one could be restore for tomorow I continue observe him, and then try to sketch his buffalow like bulky structure, my sketch book's little page couldn't afford him completely. hehehehehe.

3rd.... A GIRL who was standing at bus stop and was trying to cop wit sun light 'coz she was forced to see that side, from where bus was expected to come at any time and could pass without stoping if she didn't wave the driver for stop...... !!!

4th..... A little try to draw a different thing, I guess I found it here in some tutorial.

more to come ...... soooooooooooooooon.

Cheeeeers.....take care.

EMEYS.....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man great to see you updating again...i reckon what you're doing now is pretty good...small but regular updates should help you with getting more people to visit and critique your work

I like the first watercolour girl piece, although I'm not sure if you were intending a realistic approach, if you are then her ears are seriously small and her eyes are seriously big remember your basically proportions, the face should be 5 eyes wide something like this: (o) = eye
    (o)(o)(o)(o)(o)

there should be enough space between the two eyes for an extra eye
    also...her left shoulder (our right) seems to be chopped off suddenly, even if its covered by her hair, we should still see her shoulders at that angle

as for the caricature of your friend, i think the over all proportions is too realistic looking for an caricature, you've distorted some areas, but left the rest looking like a portrait sketch, so the styles sorta clash if you know what i mean...
    also remember when shading...that there are 3 times of tones, the darks, the mid tones and the highlights, with your hatching you should aim to achieve tonal depth to portray the forms more clearly eg: even though you have shaded...his face still looks sorta 2d and flat, whereas many areas of his hair "pops" out a lot more

i like the dating tree piece, pretty nice style and not much i can crit on, except making the bundles of tree leaves rendering more realistic rather than straight line hatching

mr. butcher has a lot of personality in his character, it seems you looked at the shading of light and dark in this piece...just watch out more for the forms of the muscles of the face (eg his nose looks really confusingly shaded...where is the light source? it seems totally mid tone)

i think the bus stop girl's lighting factor worked...although i really cant comment on the rendering due to the way its scanned/photographed, nice hair...just make them more "free" have some loose strands here and there once in a while eh?

i think the last cloth study is great and you should definitely realise the importance in doing these studies, they really help you in distinguishing between the different tones and how to render them correctly

with all that said...practice is the real important part in helping you improve...i can keep saying the same thing over and over again...but it wont be as good as you finding out it yourself through more drawing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your eyes always seem to come out a bit too large. your eye study had some really good ones, so i know you can do it. its good to see you making skull studies, and tons of portraits, thats the way to get better.
    love your hair renderings

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks A lot Dear Dear paperX.....for your kind guidance and pointing out flaws that is realy helpful just to open my eyes....

Thank you so much duoxan, for kind comments and suggestions.......

SOME more sketches..... reference used.....

EMEYS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some more pencil sketches, with a little help of references .....

EMEYS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

some figure drawing tryout

some figure drawing, with ref.

emeys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    IMPORTANT: the original sketched work is missing some where, these are treated in fotoshop.....thnx.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    figure draw pencil sketch.....

emey

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    arrg sorry for not replying more man...im really busy these days and might not be able to find time to do really in depth comments, just somethings:

i like the figures, keep in mind the correct anatomy and form eg: the newest one the two butt cheeks look really separated

the same can be said of your other sketches...im really not sure which direction you want to take those...are you going for a stylised look or realistic?

regardless of both you should take into account the forms that you are shading in when rendering. break the forms in to simple geometric shapes. eg: the breasts on the second girl in post #21, the breasts are a spherical shape...think about how you would go about rendering a Sphere...right now...they look really big but really flat as if she was pressing them against a window.

keep working hard man...i'll try to drop in as often as i can

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

So nice of you dear PaperX ….that you spare some time for me, from your busy schedule, I must appreciate your cooperation my Friend. ..... Regarding the constructive criticism I am really grateful to u.....
    Actually these both drawings I draw from a photo ref. but couldn’t control the shading accordingly, the girl in post #21, was also drawn from a (photo drawing Ref.) that is some sort of comic art type of sketch, and she is Pamela …. So u must know her Bbs. size…hehehehe, lol…..,8) couldn’t shape them out accordingly. Sorry Pam.

When ever you get some free time, please drop a little critics and comments, this gives me a lot of support.
    Thanks once again, Dear. See you very soon.

EMEYS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

some more sketches

some more sketches i did recently last month, just keep in touch with tools.

EMEYES

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.