VOTING!! Teen Challenge #20

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Best ancient wonder?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • bestow

1 4.00%
  • asoir

2 8.00%
  • Senira

0 0%
  • yungks.ae

2 8.00%
  • Evil_Sloth

8 32.00%
  • Cecil

0 0%
  • Narmo

1 4.00%
  • kovah

0 0%
  • Jtho

9 36.00%
  • subvicto

0 0%
  • Dile.exe

2 8.00%
  • Zynic

0 0%
  • sishir

0 0%
  • Orifice

0 0%
  • Keng

0 0%

Thread: VOTING!! Teen Challenge #20

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Really sorry it took me forever to get this thread up, exam week is a hectic time. The topic was "8th wonder of the Ancient World." Vote for your favorite!

bestow:

asoir:
    By far the most mysterious wonder of the world, the Egg of Amazonia is a glowing, perfectly smooth egg with no known purpose. It's deep into the Amazon Rainforest and has confused scientists and tourists across the world. It is protected with a natural reserve, so it's impossible and illegal to touch or experiment from it. In the near future, however, scientists hope for a way to analyze it without the need of contact. This is still under development, and might be finished by the year 2031.
    For now, it remains a total mystery.

Senira:
    Here's my idea; it's a reconstruction of the moon temple built by the Atlantians thousands of years ago. Moon worship was central to Atlantian religion, as they were the first peoples to realize that the changing phases of the moon affected the tide, and by extension the quality of their vital fishing industry. When the moon was full in the sky, hundreds of Atlantians would gather on the temple floor and raise their arms in worship to the image of the moon reflected to them by the mirror. A priest would conduct rites before it on the naos, sectioned off from common people by a large gate. The mirror itself is made of bronze and gold and is supported by massive statues of the moon Goddess.

yungks.ae:

Evil_Sloth:
    Your actually seeing the base of the wonder which is this three tower supported super tower that these ancient Chinese dudes built as far as they could into the sky before the workers started dieing from lack of oxygen.
    The tower is meant for an ancient god who lost his love at sea and commanded that a tower be built tall enough that he could look for her across the ocean. The mofo's that are heading to the tower are going to take the long journey up the spiral stair case to go to pray at the top. Maybe they have some sort of base jumping ritual once they reach the top aswell, that'd be sweet.

Cecil:
    An anciant sleeping volcano has been found close to the coasts of newzealand. Its notable feature a massive statue of unkown origin a new wonder of our world. it's technology seems way beyound its time as it has a built in waterfall that seems to run by hiden mechanics.
    Its emerald eyed dragon seems to be the shape of some god of the ancient race that sculptured it or does it mean that dragons once flew the pacific?

Narmo:
    The Himalayas used to host the biggest boudhist temple ever built. It had a 5,5 meters gong wich could be hearing from about 11 km arounds, its echoes resounding all over the nearest valleys !
    It disappeared about the 2nd century BC because of violent earthquakes, but the Gong itself still remains, found by L.B. Jefferson (1673-74): it's nowadays one of the masterpieces of the Potola temple.

kovah:
    Few ever saw the marvel, for few had the courage to search for it in this world of many dangers. It was said that the gate led to the land of the Gods and whoever passed through it would become a god themselves. But it was not nearly as simple as the beast that guarded the gate must first be defeated.
    The gate seemed to stretch into the heavens and the beast that guarded it, a hundred foot of pure muscle and ferocity to contend with. Good luck travelers i do not envy you.

Jtho:
    "Nobody really knows where it came from or what it is; it just sits there, like an austere sentinel lost in contemplation. "Fallen God" of the Misty Valley they call it, the local villagers say it's the husk of an ancient deity, though the archaeologists think it was probably a shrine build millenia ago by some lost civilization. It's inner structure remains a mystery, and some have even suggested it may have once moved. Whatever it is, the only thing known for certain is that it shall continue to slumber dutifully."

Subvicto:

Dile.exe:

Zynic:

sishir:
    Temple of the sky

"Somewhere high in the mountains, around present day Pakistan and Iran a Ziggurat like structure was build, its was a far more simpler design than a common ziggurat, but its massive size made up for its "beauty". It took 300 years to build this wonder. Carved into the mountain side, built from rocks and mud. And coated with a slightly reflective blue paint, this temple over looks its people like a looming god. Every year a huge number of people make a dangerous journey to this temple to worship their god who is said to live there."

"Recent discovery suggest that the placement of the structure was the reason it fell. Heavy winds weakened the temple's structure and the material it was made with, over-time, crumbled. All that's left of this once amazing wonder is its ruined towers, and its foundation. Which cant be recognizable from a natural flat plain.

Orifice:
    Unlike the 7 other wonders of the world the 8'th is a mobile one. Made from the core metal of earth by the Khasers 2000 years before christ it is mention in greek myth. The greeks described it as the "indestructable evil". A giant man emerging from the very earth, destroying everything in its path. Anyone who had controll over it would rule the world. It was said that its mind were posessable. I assume they ment that this giant robot is steared from its "head"... It is said that this "indestructable evil" is what really won the battle of troy. That one man managed to posess its mind and thus gaining incredible power. The iron giant then supposibely returned to its resting plase below ground.

Keng:
    The Temple of Life. This great pyramid was crated in the image of a snake by the mayan people. It is said that withing it's coils it protects the fountain of youth and life. Many have sought it out and mistaken it's waterfalls running parralel outside it to be the legendary springs, but were gravely disapointed as it is home to a parasite with no known cure. To find the true key to everlasting youth one must travel deep into the serpants belly, but the it is the prize that the mayan never intended to be accessible to just anyone, numerous curses are said to have been placed on it's walls, among other dangers.

Be sure to post some comments and crits.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm.. Even with all this time to have thought about it I'm still stuck between evil sloth, narmo, and jtho.

*insert really, really, REALLY long pause*

Well, I've decided on Jtho for the concept. I like the background story behind it, plus the art is tight.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Evil Sloth, no doubt.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Evil_Sloth all the elements just make this an awesome iamge

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My vote went to Jtho but I've been stucked between Evil sloth and Jtho, because I think that Jtho's 8th Wonder doesn't maybe fit to the topic, since it had to be a human-made thing, but I chose his one because, for me, there is a mistake in Evil's one wich is the fact that we don't see the whole wonder, wich was the most important part of the picture, and, if I didn't misunderstand, this tower is not unique (single ?).

This was a very long sentence for a French writer, sorry for the numerous mistakes I could have done :s

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Narmo
    My vote went to Jtho but I've been stucked between Evil sloth and Jtho, because I think that Jtho's 8th Wonder doesn't maybe fit to the topic, since it had to be a human-made thing,
    From my concept explanation, "the local villagers say it's the husk of an ancient deity, though the archaeologists think it was probably a shrine build millenia ago by some lost civilization."

Anyways, best of luck to everyone, my ballot shall remain secret.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
Thanks for the vote Jtho, its a public poll

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jtho => Ok, I misenderstood the explanation the first time,but now I'm sure my vote was really for your pic'.

Please guys feel free to coment your choice, in order to help us improving.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cool

Hm, haven't comented on those things for some time.

bestow: Keep working crazy mofo.

asoir: Strange pic, I voted for it because of the mood in it, very disturbing!
    The 3 paralell treetrunks in the bg are a problem tho.

senira: Very good concept! The contrast in those rocks in the bg is superior than the contrast in the foreground/focal point/s, destroying the sense of depth. And "naos" is a term used strictly for christian temples I believe?

yungsk.ae: Wow, good job! Couple of things bother me tho. The black splotch at the right seems unapropriate, maybe you could've used other methods to balance the composition. (another point of interest imn that place or something..) And the water, it looks more like blue smoke atm, not like enormous masses of water.

Sloth: Good job as usual, and as usual, I have some crits on the perspective. If the horizon line is where it should be according to the building at the right and the central figure, then the house on the left is wrong, and vice versa. The bridge on the left is in reversed perspective.
    The swan on the right must be pretty big, considering the height of the human figure at approximately the same distance. Personally for me, using photos of bushes is taking away from the pic.(If I'm wrong on that, sue me ) And lastly, the wonder could've used something to stand out more, despite being so far away.

Cecil: It looks unfinished, I can't comment on wips. If this is your intended final tho, I'd suggest spending more time on the composition, choosing focal points, and using higher contrast/saturation in those places.

Narmo: The compo is leaning heavily towards left as of now, and that's patially because the mountain on the right is dull and uninteresting atm. The values seem appropriate for bg, but the exact same pattern of little things used in almost half of the picture isn't exactly helping the viewer to turn his gaze from the wonder, or should I say the rocks beneath it.

kovah: I'm not into decorative stuff, and I can't comment on something I have no clue of.

Jtho: Nice! The blacks you've used are almost equal valuewise, that's flattening the figure a bit. I'd also suggest using harder edges on the focal points. Judging the direction of the light by the casted shadows thrown by the pointy things on it's back, those same pointy things shouldn't be dark at the bottom side. Before I saw the trees in the mist I tought it's much bigger btw.

Subvicto: Looks good, and you may use little more saturated colors at some places, it won't hurt!

Dile: Why bother including the wall in the foreground, when you totally neglected it.(I guess the purpose was to not take away attn from the wonder) SO you could've just left it out. Midground, the pyramids on the right look like piles of crap. On teh left, thats how I understood those are pyramids in the first place, neon green edges??? And the wonder's design strangely resembles (90% accuracy ) the asian wonders in AoE2 if I'm not mistaken.

Zynic: The Garage from Hell, RUN!!!

SIshir: don't use so much black, and try to graduate the contrast taking the distance, importance, lightsources etc into account.

Only two more to go, fuck yeah!

Orifice: Looks good, but some of the sketchy lines you left on purpose aren't contributing to the pic. And the decision to put the limbs in energetic positions, while the torso retains straight frontal view position gives a bit comical feel of the pose, dunno if it was intended. And the pose of the guy in his head, very clicheed one.

Keng: The Maya used highly stilyzed ornamentation, not realistic images of animals, redrawn from ref. Also, both fronyt and side planes of the 'mid are almost equally lit, give them edges some border contrast. And those trees behind the 'mid are either too large or the 'mid too small.

Whew! In conclusion, you all suck bi....errr, I meant, we all need more practise, and overall good images were done!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sweet, thanks for the review vorbiss. I did lots of new things in this picture... environments for one is something I wanna get a grasp with because I've just usually been doing poses and whatnot.

So thanks for your input

• Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.