CHOW #50 - VOTING -Guest Host: Salaryman. Topic: Founding Fore-Father/Pilgrim of Mars

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Choose your CHOWracter!

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • CHOW #50 - VOTING -Guest Host: Salaryman. Topic: Founding Fore-Father/Pilgrim of Mars cakeypigdog

17 28.33%
  • CHOW #50 - VOTING -Guest Host: Salaryman. Topic: Founding Fore-Father/Pilgrim of Mars woodlandwalker

0 0%
  • CHOW #50 - VOTING -Guest Host: Salaryman. Topic: Founding Fore-Father/Pilgrim of Mars Azrael

0 0%
  • CHOW #50 - VOTING -Guest Host: Salaryman. Topic: Founding Fore-Father/Pilgrim of Mars Paolo13

1 1.67%
  • CHOW #50 - VOTING -Guest Host: Salaryman. Topic: Founding Fore-Father/Pilgrim of Mars Migsta

2 3.33%
  • CHOW #50 - VOTING -Guest Host: Salaryman. Topic: Founding Fore-Father/Pilgrim of Mars Vances22

0 0%
  • CHOW #50 - VOTING -Guest Host: Salaryman. Topic: Founding Fore-Father/Pilgrim of Mars killthemouse

1 1.67%
  • CHOW #50 - VOTING -Guest Host: Salaryman. Topic: Founding Fore-Father/Pilgrim of Mars Sali

0 0%
  • CHOW #50 - VOTING -Guest Host: Salaryman. Topic: Founding Fore-Father/Pilgrim of Mars oishiiniku

19 31.67%
  • CHOW #50 - VOTING -Guest Host: Salaryman. Topic: Founding Fore-Father/Pilgrim of Mars CravenMorehead

2 3.33%
  • CHOW #50 - VOTING -Guest Host: Salaryman. Topic: Founding Fore-Father/Pilgrim of Mars ChuckMate

7 11.67%
  • CHOW #50 - VOTING -Guest Host: Salaryman. Topic: Founding Fore-Father/Pilgrim of Mars Asita

0 0%
  • CHOW #50 - VOTING -Guest Host: Salaryman. Topic: Founding Fore-Father/Pilgrim of Mars fedezz

8 13.33%
  • CHOW #50 - VOTING -Guest Host: Salaryman. Topic: Founding Fore-Father/Pilgrim of Mars mrGrumble

13 21.67%
  • CHOW #50 - VOTING -Guest Host: Salaryman. Topic: Founding Fore-Father/Pilgrim of Mars bryno

0 0%
  • CHOW #50 - VOTING -Guest Host: Salaryman. Topic: Founding Fore-Father/Pilgrim of Mars puck

0 0%
  • CHOW #50 - VOTING -Guest Host: Salaryman. Topic: Founding Fore-Father/Pilgrim of Mars xgabo

27 45.00%
  • CHOW #50 - VOTING -Guest Host: Salaryman. Topic: Founding Fore-Father/Pilgrim of Mars Kaotica

11 18.33%
  • CHOW #50 - VOTING -Guest Host: Salaryman. Topic: Founding Fore-Father/Pilgrim of Mars CollinSully

1 1.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

CHOW #50 - VOTING -Guest Host: Salaryman. Topic: Founding Fore-Father/Pilgrim of Mars

Choose your CHOWracter!
    Like CHOW? Support This Site. Buy your T-Shirt

Founding Fore-Father/Pilgrim of Mars
    A first traveller and Settler of the red planet. 20 or 200 years hence

- Here we are, at CHOW #50 - and we inovate again.
    Thanks to Salaryman for being out first host!
    This is his topic.
    HIs choices - see below why

Topic elements: NA

1 = NA
    2 = NA
    3 = NA

Make sure your picture contains these - you will receive 3 VOTES for each topic covered.

POLL RULES
    (for the new people)
    NOT ALL ENTRIES ARE TAKEN TO THE POLL.
    (the selection is based on technical quality criteria)
    ENTRIES NOT POLLED WILL RECEIVE C&C
    (i really try to do this every time)
    IT IS A DIFFICULT PROCESS - MISTAKES CAN BE MADE
    I am trying to set this as a professional demand. I act as the client...
    Oblio is always looking for feedback - If Oblio is wrong - tell him so.
    DON'T VOTE FOR YOURSELF

ROUND COMMENTS:
    Thanks you all for being part of this. Salaryman... was kind... he took a lot of entries up to the public click... now it's up to you... to select a winner, to select a NEW HOST for the next week.

NEW PEOPLE HAVE JOINED - Thank you for choosing CHOW.
    Also.. the people with the 1st post on CA - lose your artistic virginity on CHOW... first love.. is always the best.

DON'T FORGET YOUR PRIZE! THE WINNER OF THIS ROUND WILL SELECT THE TOPIC OF THE NEXT ONE!

And will assist me in selecting the entries for the poll. In one week we'll have a new client.Vote him now

EDIT: And his name is... XGABO. Congrats... see you on your round.
    The winning piece:

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Oblio; December 4th, 2006 at 05:57 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i'm in!!

edit: updat here are my first pass of thumbs

ok here is my final kids: (edited to include name and border- sorry)

oh and here is a lil giff (my first one) of teh WIP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    <LOG MAYFLOWER1 10122076> saying that making a life here is hard would be an understatement. Although the scientists had proven plants could be grown in terrariums and had theorized the genetically enhanced seeds would produce a bountiful crop they have not. Our constant fight with the elements has proven futile, our shelter holds, and power from the solar panels and winds keep us with electricity, but our stores are running short. We have had nothing fresh for months. <END>

<LOG MAYFLOWER1 11232076> We had expected contact at some point… the military had led us to believe that major alien settlements were on the other side of the planet, but that it was just a matter of time before we were found. What we had not expected was the welcome we received. Apparently some recon on us had been done over the past few months. Why they didn’t let us just die out I’ll never know… our alien neighbors aren’t quite as savage as we once thought… and having mastered the art of hunting and gathering on this dusty red rock they showed up with what one could only determine to be fresh food, (vegetable and animal matter of some sort)… so happy are we to have this peaceful contact, and an opportunity to share with the local inhabitants. The stuff doesn’t taste that bad either! <END>

<LOG MAYFLOWER1 02272077> We have been shown the correct way to cultivate our plants and crops now… and after several hunting expeditions we now know the local flora and fauna well enough to get by on our own… our new friends have made it possible for us to stay here. We are so thankful that they showed up when they did. One can only hope we have a great and prosperous future together. <END>

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This could be interesting. To quite OJ, "Maybe I'll take a stab."

UPDATE: Damn Cakey, ..just....damn. Nice piece.
    Chillin in my hotel room in Phoenix and I was midly inspired, so I threw down some ink on this one.
    Being that I'll be shredding my head on the dunes, I probably wont see this one out.
    Sand and computers don't mix, so here's my weak little sketch. Sorry Salaryman, awesome topic, just a busy time.

Some obvious anatomy issues here, I know.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Finito

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Final...

Ok here's the final...

CMSAF Neil Armstrong IV , the first human to set foot on this foreign soil sits on a rock formation overlooking the red planet while envisioning the city of the future and what will ultimately become his new home.

- My Artwork! -
    www.miguellleras.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well not fully showing the char. but anyway...
    Pelgrim at the red plains;
    Chryo made his skin look pale.

"Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    blah wont be able to finish this off in time... >.<

Warrior Style

The first rule of Warrior Style is, You do not stop drawing.
    The second rule of Warrior Style is, You DO NOT stop drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Icon

Here is my final. Glad I finished one of these. A little late, but I am most happy I finished. Time to get started on the Next One!

Warrior Style

The first rule of Warrior Style is, You do not stop drawing.
    The second rule of Warrior Style is, You DO NOT stop drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Second attempt

Here we go. two composition ideas. I like the first myself but the second is more of a character concept. When I read this weeks concept immediately thought of the Anne character from Red Mars so I am going for a geologist.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work so far, Cakey & vances.

Well it's almost a year since I last attempted a CHOW, but the work here has been a constant inspiration. But I have more time nowadays, and am in a crazy mood for drawing.

Some crits on this would be great before I whack some colours on.

Finished:

The new world of America was not enough for some of the pilgrims. Too quickly the puritan values that they had started the colony with dissolved into the very excess that they had fled England for.

But hope was restored again in the late eighteenth century with the wonders of modern space flight. The king of England had established a post on Earth's moon. But Mars was out of the question. The Puritans though, started a new pilgrimage. An attempt to escape the horrors of Earth, and begin a new life under God, on the planet as red as Christ's blood.

Here, we see an explorer from the new Puritan colony, desperately searching for a reliable source of water in the deep caves of Mars, before their meager supplies run out entirely.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    started doodling this yesterday, don't think im gunna have time to get anywhere with it tho, cause work juss got a bit busy ;(

playin the ol' "girl an a monkey" card heh

some cool stuff so far.

eri

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking Marsian winds...

My final. Here's the girl fighting wind on the Red Planet.

When there is no place in Hell - the deadmen begin to walk...
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my final. Didn't make many more adjustments:

They'd called him a crackpot. They'd said he'd never make it out of earth's atmosphere, let alone all the way to Mars. Yet here he was, alone on the surface of the red planet, with no means of returning home and the secrets of his rocket entrusted to no one. It would be another 200 years until man would once again set foot on Mars...

Here's the original doodle:

Ta, Nick.

The scrawny white sketchbook ring
    OISHIINIKU CAKEYPIGDOG MYA RES D-BAKER ASHAB
    DAVISON

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Martian Pilgrim submission

notes tommorow, sleep tonight

Yeah, I was focusing on lighting and rendering volume, kinda forgot about making it an interesting picture. Thanks for the crits, see ya'll next round.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok, finished.
    Chow#50:Founding Fore-Father/Pilgrim of Mars

We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.
    -Bill Hicks

Sketchbook Old SketchBook Portfolio GorillaArtFare

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Mars Rocks!

cakeypigdog: your thumbs are killing me! Also good choice of the "western style character"
    Paolo13: you did good job on his leg , nice work over all... updateupdateupdate
    oishiiniku: that is my fav pal! Can1t wait for the finished version!
    Chuck,mate: Cool man! I am glad to find someone, who has made a choice on the evil-side character!

Here is mine. Not a friendly guy too.

I surprised the deadline is on Tuesday! So, the update is coming... maybe

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my final. Lots of cool entries so far, I'll drop comments in a while.
    -------------
    Description:
    Lord Virtuous the Third (aka Linus Peckerwood) was the founding father of Mars and main icon trough its terraforming process. However, he was never physically in the red planet, in fact, he was just the janitor at the YMCA (Yorkshire's Mars Colonization Agency). The marketing director of the agency decided he had just the right looks to become the Uncle Sam of the Mars Colonization Campaign. The golden plate on his head (the result of a nasty incident involving a bag of peanuts and a trained monkey) gave him that seasoned look of the true pioneers. Here's an advertising of that era, shot with a blue screen and digitally pasted over a matte painting.
    (pathetic reference to Chuck P. intended)

Hope you like.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, i'm not going to have a chance to finish this...which is probably a good thing cuz it was getting kinda nasty. if was able to, i'd work on the jet streams and add some more flag getting burned. also, check out the little 'small' pox (native species to mars) getting wiped out in the corner. if only there was time!CHOW #50 - VOTING -Guest Host: Salaryman. Topic: Founding Fore-Father/Pilgrim of Mars

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    FINAL: (if time i may update otherwise

As the very first of the banned earth-lings where forced to find new homes, a select group made it to mars... Endlessly searching for food or fuels, these where the true PILGRIMS. Not the NASA satallite that shortly after took thousands of photo's for GOOGLE MARS.

!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,209 Times in 438 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Some sketches.. Probably won't have time to finish it in time though..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dammit! I wanted to finish so bad, but I ran out of time. Well, here's the sketchy remains of my work:

Oh well. Now I'm off to defend my dissertation - wish me luck!

Forgot to add: Awesome, awesome work, everyone! Sorry I don't have time to comment

blue's sketchbook
    Someone gave me this custom title and I will never, ever change it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here's my attempt for this topic. Priest ushering in the prisoner transport ships to establish a new colony on the recently terraformed mars.

nice sketch bluefooted, too bad you couldn't finish as i would have liked to see it.

Chuck mate, great work, simple and direct.

Cakeypigdog, love the lighting and linework and warm colours.

Killthemouse - nice composition, i would like to see it more detailed though.

mrgrumble - great pose and movement, dissapointed that you couldn't finish.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Father Thelonius and his Genetically Modified Ass

The "Holy Church Promised Land Mars Project", formerly called "Google Presents New Earth Project" was the largest single engineering undertaking ever done. It took 14 years and 95 trillion dollars to put together and ship the giant machinery that would convert the atmosphere of the Red Planet into Earth standards. The world was packed with 35+ million people, and a project like that was of utmost importance. With everything in place, it was just sit and wait until Mars could shelter human life.

30 years passed, and this costly operation bankrupted not only the economies of the countries involved, but it also precipitated the changes already gestating in our society. The corporate capitalism that was the true government of most societies in 2068 was replaced by theocracy, which took advantage of the desperation of humanity in a planet with a environment destroyed and broken society.

by 2082, The Holy Church of the West took over the project and re-baptized under the guise of "Promised Land". Scientists measured the contents of the atmosphere for the essential gases humans needed for survival, and in 2094 the first family of settlers arrived in Mars. What happened after, nobody had predicted. Within 6 months, they all developed serious respiratory diseases. 70% died. The Church scientists came to the conclusion that the mixture of gases introduced by the project combined with substances present in Mars created a mild at first but eventually lethal cocktail. The prediction was grim; it would take an extra 50 years and double the investment to clean the atmosphere again. A polemic solution was suggested, genetically modifying new generations of humans capable of living in the new atmosphere.

But in the middle of the heated discussion, an astonishing discovery ocurred: Intelligent Life on Mars. They lived in the caves beneath the upper crust, and were forced out as the atmosphere changed. They started appearing everywhere, struggling to breath the now poisonous air. The only scientist crew still in Mars reported of thousands of little black bodies, and thousands more still grasping for air. The Church blamed the previous secular project (they even excomunicated Google Enterprises), but it was too late. Pressed by popular opinion, to The Church remained only one solution. They would convert the entire Mars population into Christians, then perform mass last rites, so at least their souls would find peace in heaven.

They sent a pilgrim, a popular priest called Thelonius, to do the job. During the next 10 years he rode his genetically modified ass, doing coversions in the moribund population. People eventually lost interest in the genocide of the martian people, and Earth lost contact with Father Thelonius. He lasted for two more years, his mind lost between harsh reality and religious fervor, his back curved under the weight of his space gear and the suffering of a slowly dying intelligent species, which he could do nothing to help.

Gabriel Frizzera
    www.gabo.ca

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is my pic for this round:

Because of lack of atmosphere, the suns radiation caused the fist mars settlers to become deformed buy cancerous growths. Even so they were a proud people and Believed that they would one day be known as hero's that concurred the barren planet, helping to take the last steps before it could be completely habitable by a large colony.

c&c are welcome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

a little late

Hey guys, didn't get a chance to polish this one up but i thought i'd post anyways. critiques welcome!
    The Emperor Vladimir Schiff was one of a long line of aristocrats chosen to lead the first colony to mars. His fame as the first man to step on the Martian surface lead to an inevitable and successful run for president of the first martian colony of 1000. In the first years of his term, Earth experienced a catastrophic asteroid impact, followed by a mass migration to mars. The contemptuous Vladimir Schiff seized the opportunity, declaring himself emperor of mars and taxing the earth immigrants in exchange for their sanctuary on the red planet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry if the topic was a bit dull. I started doing ChoW as I was low on ideas...

Anyway!

Brief crits I'm afraid, just no time....

Not everybody made it through I'm afraid. Which I feel bad about... but I've tried to be fair

Cakeypigdog: great thumbs, loads of potential entries there. Really enjoying your final, wonderful characterisation and solid lighting. Thanks for posting the WIP, really shows the importance of lighting! You're through!

Woodlandwalker: Nice take on things! Nice retro feel to the guy's suit too. Maybe a bit more clarity on the Martian dudes is my only crit. You're through!

Azrael: I know how time can be. Would have been nice to see you develop this a bit more. With that said, the idea is focused so you're through!

Paolo13: glad you took the time to give your dude feet! Great outfit details and the presentation idea are really nice. Thanks for humouring me! You're through!

Migsta: good solid rendering here. Nice idea and back-story. Good balance to your image, but maybe a bit more sky would have brought the focus more to the character. You're through!

Uziel: No feet! And it was my only requirement.... still, nice idea with the skin, I'd really like to have seen more though.

Act.Appalled: Shame you couldn't get to finish this off. Like the retro feel of the outfit, not sure about that tool though...

Vances22: While I'm getting a little lost with the background there's a nice palette and some interesting shapes in this guys suit... you're through!

Vim the good: sorry I didn't get back to you on some of the details. I'd have liked to see you work up that second thumb there.

Killthemouse: thanks for the WIP. Nice referencing and detailing on the suit, his stance is a little awkward though. Nice back-story... you're through.

Eriboss: Nice, but I'm not getting Mars! I like it though...

Sali: I'm not sure about the handbag.... though the scarf is cool Shifting the view to her front would've made this a more dramatic image I feel. By the way, you're through!

Oishiiniku: Great piece Nick, fantastic character in this guys face. Love the boots too. Top banana. You're through.

Craven Morehead: Interesting take this. I think you could have lost the building on the left and carried on with the perimeter/background objects. The horizon is great. Yeah maybe more def on the guy, but I quite like your take on it. You’re through.

Chuck, mate: Great! He’s cool, solid as always from you. You're through!

Asita: Unusual pose choices. Not sure if I get it. I think his right foot also planted firmly on the ground would've been stronger and reflected his age somewhat more. Nice look to this guys face though! You're through.

fedezz: this is great. Really nice idea and I love the finish on you're image. Those boots are wicked. The poll awaits, you're through!

mrgrumble: really intriguing work. It's a shame it didn't get finished, but I can see where you're heading so you're through.

Bryno: nice energy to this, I like your back-story and presentation too. You're through!

Serpian: some potential here....

Bluefooted: guess you had more important things to worry about. Looks like there was going to something good here.

Puck: Nice idea. I think the priest could've been more appropriately dressed and I think the angle of the closest craft is too extreme. This is a great interpretation though. You're through.

xgabo: Wow, great character! Wonderful detailing all over and a certain polish! Watch the length of those descriptions though! You are through!

Kaotica: Wow, WOW! Incredible image, my favourite here. Love the designs on the characters clothing and the overall finish. I really need to see more of your stuff! Oh yes, you're through!

CollinSully: This is cool; I'm getting a sort of Dune feel! This guy looks important, but maybe emphasising this ego a bit more might have been an idea. You're through.

Hope that was everyone... hope Oblio can take over from here...

I wish i'd hade more time for this, so sorry if it's a bit brief. No drawing for salaryman tonight....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oishiniku gets my vote: tons of great character and a nice suit deisgn to boot.

other worthy mentions would be mr grumble: love your paint style.

Kaotica: stands out from the crowd: nice to arendering style diffferent from the normal digi paint.

xgabo: wicked image: tons of character and funny to boot.

Paolo13 : i loved this when you first put the line work up but think the final delivery didnt live up to the potential. great entry though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WARNING - only until SUNDAY you get to vote.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hot damn! a lotta great entries came together in the end...

votes to: oishiiniku and xgabo.

oishiiniku: suit design is great, the guy's got a history

xgabo: The donkey and the Jesus mission patch are just way too awesome.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.