The Wii works!!! My Dad had fun playing a video game, a story of Holiday JOY!!!

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Wii works!!! My Dad had fun playing a video game, a story of Holiday JOY!!!

So my Dad has never played a video game system ever!!! And he puts up with my constant babeling about games, and of course as of late the Wii. About just how wonderful it will be and how games will never be the same. Yada yada.

He is an electrical engineer, so he likes electronics, and he thought the Wii sounded like a great idea. He even got alittle excited when talking about it over Turkey day dinner, and we had a fun time chating about the possibilitys of the Wii-mote. Enough to make him say he wanted to try it out.

I live up in Seattle and it has been snowing and very cold the past couple of days. We were in a mall downtown trying to stay out of the cold, following my girlfriend and mom around as they shoped. My Dad and cousin and I were wandering around the place and stumbled upon an EB games, and LIke a beacon of holiday joy there it was perched on it's throne of glory, the Wii.

We had to give our I.D's to the cashier for the controler and it was glorious!!! I was as giddy as a school girl just holding the controler, but I wanted my Pops to try it. My Pops has never played a 3d game ever, the only game I ever got him to play was Mario3, for five minutes max.

My Dad does this thing when he gets excited and is having fun. He kinda turns into a dorky little kid and gets this huge grin on his and laughs and steps out of character for a minute. He was beside himself playing this thing! His arms were flailing about left and right, He was throwing his uper body all over the place trying to move the truck form side to side. It was a fantastic moment my friends watching this spectical. What's even more awsome is that he was actually doing really well, he stayed on the track, and controlled his truck perfectly. I was proud.

This is what the Wii is going to be all about, this moment was one of those kodak moments you will laugh about forever, and never forget. My Dad had fun playing a game, it was awsome, and I know he will play the Wii with me when I bring it home for Xmas. I can imagine non-gamers might be the most fun sort of people to play games with.

Anyone else have any similar stories?

Last edited by Spacemanchuck; November 29th, 2006 at 11:16 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what a great story. it was very touching how you described how much fun your dad had.

i can't wait to get one for my older brother. He's a PhD student and hasn't played a video game since Street Fighter. I brought over my Xbox360 on Thanksgiving and showed him Gears of War. He was actually into it! He even tried to play Call of Duty. And his wife, who hasn't played a game since Pac Man, played Geometry Wars for a good 30 minutes.

They'll have a blast with the Wii, whom I getting it for.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's one of the first things I thought of when the Wii-mote was first shown- The parents who would always turn and twist the controller (to no avail) might finally feel comfortable... a small, non confusing controller that actually does stuff when you tilt it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Oaksford
    parents who would always turn and twist the controller (to no avail) might finally feel comfortable... a small, non confusing controller that actually does stuff when you tilt it!

hahaha man thats so true! my old man did it all the time, almost leans out of the chair thinking maybe the fireball wont hit him if he ducked out of the way when we played mortal kombat back on the snes.. my parents would get a kick outta this thing. whats the range on that thing anyway?? havent got a chance to try it out yet.. - JAG

it's only after you've lost everything, that you're free to do anything..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 417 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Oaksford
    That's one of the first things I thought of when the Wii-mote was first shown- The parents who would always turn and twist the controller (to no avail) might finally feel comfortable... a small, non confusing controller that actually does stuff when you tilt it!
    Totally! My mom would always make a jump motion with the controller when she played Mario. My dad got into Turok and Goldeneye. This might be a way to get them playing again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Hookswords
    Totally! My mom would always make a jump motion with the controller when she played Mario. My dad got into Turok and Goldeneye. This might be a way to get them playing again.
    My mom also suffers from the "jump, mario!" syndrome. When I told her about the new Mario she got all excited for it.

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's fun watching uncoordinated people try to play games!!!

I remember playing Contra with my Mom, and till this day she brags about beating it with me very proudly. The thing she dosn't know is that I would always put in the trusty, up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, select start, code!!! INFINATE MEN!!!

Does anyone else remember that code, Is that right??? It's been too long, I used to enter that code in swiftly and accuratly like a skilled ninja shaving a small baboons ass...

Last edited by Spacemanchuck; November 30th, 2006 at 04:05 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,647 Times in 1,747 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    made me smile dude thats awesome
    have fun

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 417 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacemanchuck
    It's fun watching uncoordinated people try to play games!!!

I remember playing Contra with my Mom, and till this day she brags about beating it with me very proudly. The thing she dosn't know is that I would always put in the trusty, up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, select start, code!!! INFINATE MEN!!!

Does anyone else remember that code, Is that right??? It's been too long, I used to enter that code in swiftly and accuratly like a skilled ninja shaving a small baboons ass...

Yep, that's the Konami code. They used it in many games, but Contra is the most recognized. It's funny, i cant remember what I learned in High School Chemistry but I can still remember NES codes.

007 373 5963 <----Anyone remember this one?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My grandad brought an xbox and has been beating call of duty and halo. on easy mind you. It was his first console an he really likes shooting things even if he does it painfully slow using anything that could count as cover.
    My Mum got into Spyro and croc but she had a nes when it came out so she wasnt that new to the whole jump thing. damn I will never clock that damn nes mario game the only reason i bet mum was i found the cheat on the roof.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i already knew it...milestone...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha awesome story.

The only game I managed to get my parents to play was Alex Kidd on the Master System. They played it for about 2 minutes each and then gave up.

My Dad actually asked me if I was getting a Wii, and my jaw dropped! How did he know!? I thought.
    He actually had heard about it on some BBC Newsnight thing.
    I'm gonna bring the Wii home when I go for Christmas and see if I can get my parents to play a video game again after about 15 years!

» sketchbook
    » blog
    » website

(First rule of Pocket Club...)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haah, i haven't even considered buying this system... but i remember my grandmother playing yoshi and jumping up and down, tilting all over the place while me and my sister rolled all over the floor laughing our asses off. but she was good. now she just plays majong (spelling?) on a crappy little ol mac. she's trying to act all old now, fuck that. i think im gonna buy her a wii. haha

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.