Sketchbook: Dan's Sketchbook

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dan's Sketchbook

Last edited by Dan_Grr; October 21st, 2007 at 08:42 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A life drawing from one of my old ducks. Graphite work, again, taken with the cellular. It was drawn on used paper as you might guess by the words clobbering the drawing. The graph and the words are in no way associated with any of the drawing, theres no secret formulae here at work, just a printer registration.

Dan's Sketchbook

Last edited by Dan_Grr; December 8th, 2006 at 10:09 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The drawing below were taken with the cellular, so they have shitty quality. I would apologize, but then again, nobody watches this thread so it doesn't really matter.

Today I got a little breakthrough in my humble skills by drawing boxes for the basic human shapes. This is from Vilppu's DVDs. The previous movie was about oval shapes that could be made to draw the human body, but I get much more intuitive with boxes and a mix of boxes with a couple of oval shapes. Or a mix in between.

The important thing is not to stick to something you don't really like just so you could say "Oh, Im following the rules". There are no rules. Pointers, yes, but no rules. Don't draw something exclusively on cubes just so you could say you just did it with the boxes technique. Use boxes, shapes, or use none, whatever helps you to get more intuitive at drawing.

This sketch was made with shapes and boxes. I drew more boxes and accentuated them more as they seem more intuitive to me than just shapes. I can get a better sense of perspective with it. This was made by drawing while watching the video.

Dan's Sketchbook

This one was made by reference. I drew it, while Vilppu was drawing it too, explaining the use of his techniques. I just put it here because I drew it so intuitively. Made it's just me, Im feeling really good today. Maybe tomorrow I'll come back to shitty old skills.

Dan's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dan's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's an old classic response, but it doesn't make it any less useful, draw from life as much as possible, and when you're doing it, remember to draw what is there, not what you think is there. You'll be amazed how many incorrect assumptions we make about what is there. Keep practicing though mate, it's worth it!

PS. Where are my Euros? Actually, you don't have to worry, a reply in my sketchbook thread will do.

The sketchbook thread!

The Art of David and Sarah Cousens: www.CoolSurface.com!
    The Cool Surface Art blog: http://CoolSurface.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DavidCousens

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I never drew from a model. I'll try get some time to draw people when I can, thanks for the advice and for stopping by Dave.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It doesn't have to be too detailed either just do quick sketches of your family/friends sitting around. It seems like a simple thing, but it will help your brain understand shapes and 3d space much better.

The sketchbook thread!

The Art of David and Sarah Cousens: www.CoolSurface.com!
    The Cool Surface Art blog: http://CoolSurface.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DavidCousens

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today I sketched some animals in an canine Expo, where other animal vendors are also there selling their stuff, so I drew some animals. Tomorrow I'll be back for more and draw more. Stay tuned, who knows what piece of crap that will turn out, it might even be remotely funny.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another one from here starting a sketchbook. Hope you keep it up...
    and please fix the scanner

e onde estão os meus 10 euros pá!
    bom trabalho

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for stopping by

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
really, dan , you GOTTA stop spamming the forum.. I m visit the lounge
pretty frequently , just to have a laugh or find any cool links.. and yeah I've posted there a few times aswell.. but you man.. you have 70 damn posts is the lounge and your totall post count is now 108 man! I had to check these after
that thread about cryin' ( now THAT thread turned out pretty good, but it did NOT STARTED GOOD....) Seriously... you have contributed with 6 pieces
of art, you have asspated around 25 sketchbooks, and I did see a few crits,
but it was like 1 line each...

Summary - You are spamming dude - Im not saying you are not allowed to visit the lounge.. of course you are. Im not saying you are not allowed to asspat
people, of course you are! But, with your minimum of contribution with art, and
you stupid threads in the lounge, I belive you should really make your self up!
Just on a note dude.. In fact, I have of course , nothing against you or anything
but right now.. you DON'T balance it well.. Try to spend the time wasted in
the lounge drawing, and you'll be a master soon man! stop wasting your time in that place!

Alright, for not just commenting on your way of acting on the forum, I thought
I should leave a comment on your art aswell

On that first piece, everything is off, I belive thats because you didnt used
an structure underneath it! take a pencil, lay down a structure, based on
box, cubes, ah you name it, then take the ball point pen and draw out what you want! It would really improve that piece at least, and your overall work aswell! Also, use references, and draw from life.. use your eyes, draw what you see, not what you think you see man!
That line have helped me tons...

That other piece of yours is a huge improvement compared to the last i'd say! nice, however, the pose is very stiff, and the face have no facials that really
expresss him, also the shield isnt roundish, more like if someone went loose
on it with a big hammer.. again, take a pencil, and lay down a "correct" structure =)
The third picture of yours is the best in the whole sketchbook, really
nice use of pencil, and nice shadeing and defining of form! although the neck part is flat, add more values! draw bigger aswell, looks tiny

The figuredrawings: The first one is very nice, as its an structure ! thats how
you should construct everything, I mean, even if you dont draw like that, think
like that in your head! nice
the second is nice, looks alittle out of proporations, think of structure!!
(Thinking of left leg (his right))

The picture in post 4# Nice, not much to comment/critique, looks solid
to me, maybe enlarge the arms alittle, make em' just alittle "longer"

Alright man, thats it, sorry if I came of as a bitch, but dude, CONSIDER what i said, also, I dont know if your well with critique, so sorry if you didnt wanted it...

~Dile

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually, you just hit the right spot. I spend a lot of time in the lounge. Many of my posts are just to get some fun, although some people don't realize Im joking.

I do more drawings every day but I trash them. I still have some sketches from dogs and other animals from the canine expo, but it gets hard not to strangle every kid that comes looking over your shoulder (navel actually) to see what you're doing in making idiotic remarks. That breaks concentration, you see (Im giving an excuse in advance for the quality of my drawings). I'll post them in a blitz.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The following were quick to medium sketches. It's hard to draw from moving life. Although when I drew most of these the animals were standing still.

Eyes don't seem right.
    Dan's Sketchbook

Im almost pleased with this one
    Dan's Sketchbook

Nothing special to say about these. You might have though.
    Dan's Sketchbook

Nose should be farther away.
    Dan's Sketchbook

Doesn't look quite right.
    Dan's Sketchbook

My not-bad sketch of a portuguese breed.
    Dan's Sketchbook

Legs...
    Dan's Sketchbook

Saint Bernard, short hair. Doesn't look right.
    Dan's Sketchbook

2 pics of the show. I should have taken more, grr.
    Dan's Sketchbook
    Dan's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok....
    Tip1- stay loose

tip2- when working from ref. make sure you analyze it before you start working out the drawing.

tip3- think of objects working together in relative space. Think about the negative and how it effects the relationship bewteen parts or objects.

tip4- keep things simple. block in major shapes first... Make sure these are correct before moving on to smaller details.

tip5- The human figure is all abuot opposing curves... Each curve on the body has an opposing curve in the opposite direction.

tip6- Lighting. this is very important... Always break down your objects into planes and work from there. If you can break down individual parts into planes.

tip7- always render a curve with a curve in the direction of movement or in the direction of the curve.

tip8 work from ref. or life as much as possible. Learn the basics... Watch people move and how their clothes sit on the bodies. How everyones lines on their face is different from the next person, pay attention to body language, sizes and shapes, cutlural similarities, and their different styles...

tip9- get involved (and not by starting up threads in the lounge)... work on some of the projects people have going on here.. there are threads where people participate in very elementary assignments where the fundamentals of art are discussed after peoples artwork is displlayed.

Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Apart from those 2, these sketches were done very fast, with only a couple of seconds of trying to capture the moment. The original sketchs have more detail and definition, this was captured with my cellular.

Dan's Sketchbook

Dan's Sketchbook

Dan's Sketchbook

Dan's Sketchbook

Dan's Sketchbook

Dan's Sketchbook

Dan's Sketchbook

Dan's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see some definite potential with those ducks and chickens. The gestures are looking really nice, showing some life and graceful lines. Do more of those, and don't tighten up just yet. Your rendered heads look fine, (could use more contrast) but lifeless. A problem with a lot of people is when they tighten up their gestures, they lose all the freshness and life that gesture had. So I would do a ton of gestures before going back to rendered.

Oh - and change your tag for your sketchbook. You're deriding yourself for a few cheap laughs, and it does you no favor. Have a little respect for yourself!

Cheers, and thanks for visiting my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice animal studies, I suggest you pick that fast poses you did and start working a little more on them to see what you get.
    Do you breed dogs, or you were at the expo just to visit?
    I think you could edit your pics to make them a little better, even if just adjusting brigthness and contrast.
    abraço

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't breed any dogs Voraz, but I love animals in general. And the pics are already edited, ie. with more sharpening and levels editing in Photoshop. It still isn't very good, but I plan on getting a scanner in the near future.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This drawing started when I was trying to get a gesture drawing out of one of Marko's drawings on He-man. This is a pose similar to what Tri-Klops has. After I finished the initial gesture I thought to myself: "Why am I copying another guy? I can draw by myself. It can look much worse but I can draw my own way". So I decided to do an english longbowmen. To be able to get the clothes and longbow historical accurate I looked in one of Osprey's books on english longbowmen. I took some pics along the way, enjoy.

Initial gesture and outline drawing, loose.
    Dan's Sketchbook

Starting to get the basic clothes shape. I drew a short bow in his right hand.
    Dan's Sketchbook

I've noticed in the book that the longbow is really long and almost the size of a man when on the vertical, so I drew it longer here. More detail done, still very rough.
    Dan's Sketchbook

More details. Penciling was almost done.
    Dan's Sketchbook

After outlining the pencil work, I stop to take a pic at my drawing while Im still half-way trough with erasing the pencil strokes.
    Dan's Sketchbook

The image, done. I thought about finishing it, but my hand was trembling while inking/outlining it, so I decided not to do nothing at this time. Probably never will.
    Dan's Sketchbook

P.S.: He has a short sword inside his left arm. The belt is holding it.

P.S.2: I know that his leg and foot looks funny but it is in fact pushing forward.

Last edited by Dan_Grr; December 19th, 2006 at 02:51 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Blower's Daughter:

Dan's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great hands, keep going

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for stopping by. I messed up a little bit with the girl's hands. Oh well

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a good start, Dan. If you don't mind a bit of advice, I think you're tightening up too soon - your strongest work so far, in my opinion, is on the birds. . . they have a solid gestural quality that gets lost elsewhere in your work when you move to pen or cartoon/outline. I would suggest sticking with this gestural technique for awhile and eventually you'll start pulling out livelier lines rather than the ones that most literally describe the form. Keep it coming!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, I will follow your advice and focus on my ducks and chicken.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, so I've scanned pictures from my girlfriend's place. Some will be old, but scanned properly, and others will be new life drawings. Enjoy.

Dan's Sketchbook

Last edited by Dan_Grr; December 24th, 2006 at 02:14 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah. I was going to suggest investing in a scanner sometime...
    Nice collection of work. I see quite a bit of improvement since your first post, actually... you seem to have picked up on that "basic shapes" point pretty well. Your birds are looking really nice.

I think it's been said before, but you should do more gestural loose work. Go to the park and or whatever place where there's people, and sketch them. For example, I sketch people on my bus to school every morning.

good work! keep it up!

As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle being swept along is no longer enough.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, the inevitable gesture drawing. And... people... I never drew consistently people from life. I find animals more fascinating. But it's true that I need some figure drawing in my life. My thanks for stopping by.

Below, my humble entry in the sylized animal challenge in the thunderdom.

Dan's Sketchbook

Last edited by Dan_Grr; December 24th, 2006 at 02:43 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First time drawing my sheep. Yeah, I also have sheep.

Dan's Sketchbook

Dan's Sketchbook

Dan's Sketchbook

• Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.