The recent Dodge vehicle designs
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: The recent Dodge vehicle designs

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The recent Dodge vehicle designs

Has anyone else noticed much the design of the new Dodge vehicles? They seem to me as though their designs could've been based off Burne Hogarth's way of drawing the forms (specifically from Dynamic Figure Drawing). Particularly, the new Nitro and Caliber have that sort of look. Every time I see one of the commercials, I can't help but see the similarities. They all seem to have that 'curved edges' look to them that Hogarth employs quite a bit.

(sorry, it's been bugging me, just had to mention it to other people who would understand the Hogarth reference)

-Chris

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Interceptor is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Can you post a link, or some images of them?

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sure...easy enough...

http://www.dodge.com/en/caliber/gallery.html
    http://www.dodge.com/en/nitro/photo.html

I think the thing that really gives me the Hogarth impression is how exaggerated the wheel fenders are.

-Chris

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really can't see any similarities at all. I think you might need your eyes checked^^! It seems like shameless promotion from a car salesman to me! I bet they're not very fuel-cheap eighter...

No pain, no gain.

Sketchblog
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The new chevrolet ! (edited for car fans like xpose 8) )

Last edited by viag; November 29th, 2006 at 02:51 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah the new camaro looks so awesome.. thanks viag

"Is Japan in the future?" Rob ( Co-worker)
    "Wait.. What?" Me
    " They are almost done tommorow and I haven't even started tommorow" Rob
    " They are called timezones Rob.."
    " Oh Yeah" Rob

- SSGXXXVI - The Dirty Thirty Six -
    Unknown Epiphany EKU_11 Jska Frumious_Me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Camaro looks nothing like the mustang nor the charger? Sure they both use retro style lines but other than that... that's all they have in common. The new Camaro is based off of the 68 and 69 Camaros of the past. Yea I'm a grease monkey and am way to passionate about cars.

My Sketchbook
    ^keep me going by visiting my sketchbook^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kaktuzlime
    I really can't see any similarities at all. I think you might need your eyes checked^^! It seems like shameless promotion from a car salesman to me! I bet they're not very fuel-cheap eighter...
    Yeah, for some reason those images don't give me the same sensation as when I saw the commercial. But, I assure you, I am no Dodge salesman--I used to be a fan, but the past three vehicles my parents have owned have been Chrysler/Dodge and I have been very unimpressed (seems like they were always in the shop for some reason).

-Chris

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is of course a matter of preference.. but i cant stand the new dodge designs... they're hideous. while other companies are getting more advanced and 'futuristic' designs.. dodge is going backwards. its a pity, but no thanks. - JAG

it's only after you've lost everything, that you're free to do anything..

vigostar is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think what Dodge was trying to due is create a new line of Detroit muscle cars. Revinventing the old into something new... I personally like what Dodge did with their new cars... They seem to be selling well too... Camaro is going to have trouble again... the Mustang as the industry by the balls... and now that they pumped out that new SVT is gives those with the taste for power something nice to play in with 500 hp...! Personally for that money I'd just buy a vette but, then I wouldnt be a mustang fan would i?

Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I always took Dodge/Chrysler to be jankie cars- always gives you big problems after a year or two.

I can't lie though, the Magnum is sick. Give me the V8 HEMI, gold spokes, and window tint and I'm picking up more than groceries in that station wagon.

"Afraid not of none of you cowards but of my own strength"

Gallery

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dont get me wrong.. im a HUGE Mopar fanatic.. and maybe thats why im so hard on dodge. the new charger srt is fantastic.. but the nitro and the caliber.. and the god-forsaken avenger coming out soon.. what the hell were they thinking?? these new designs look like they shoulda been out in the mid 90s.. they're way too late for the party man, designs have progressed way past this. chevy's designs are getting better too.. and not a moment too soon. ford started this a few years back, to obad their engineering quiality is still sub-par. the new challanger should help out some though.. - JAG

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Car companies suck. They are simply cashing in on the aging mystique of their glory day 15cents per gallon cars... simply retrofitting design-y styling onto nothing new.

Produce a totally modern car and I will be impressed. electric motor anyone? Auto recharging battery anyone? How about design that looks toward the future not stealing lines out of an 80's graphic book and retrofitting it on a 60's or 70's label. But none of them are visionary enough (or have the balls) to do it.

Ah well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    its all about money man.. the destroyer of visions and dreams - JAG

vigostar is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Chingwa
    Car companies suck. They are simply cashing in on the aging mystique of their glory day 15cents per gallon cars... simply retrofitting design-y styling onto nothing new.

Produce a totally modern car and I will be impressed. electric motor anyone? Auto recharging battery anyone? How about design that looks toward the future not stealing lines out of an 80's graphic book and retrofitting it on a 60's or 70's label. But none of them are visionary enough (or have the balls) to do it.

Ah well.
    I think that our society isnt ready for a completely new forward thinking car style yet. Everytime a car company has tried to delve in that arena their cars have failed miserably. Although we are very technologically advanced from lets say 20 or 30 years ago there still is a generation of people out there that were around in the 40's and 50's. The people buying cars today grew up in the late 70's and 80's what kind of cars were around then?? My guess is that we really wont see any type of drastic style change in cars for a least two more generations. by, that time the energy crisis will be at its boiling point and car companies will have no choice but to create cars that run on alternative enegry sources... I think only the rich and upperclass will be able to own fossil fueled cars in the future because the cost of ful will be so expensive.

Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To address the idea that most current design is "retro," BMW's "flame design" can be considered a stylistic direction that isn't. It's based on the idea of splines and the fact that 3-d modeling has become a integral part of the car design process. You can see some of this trickling down into other brands including Lexus/Toyota.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think the core issue is "how many ways can you 're-style' the same thing?"

as was stated.. the general item [the car] has always had the same design [4 wheels, front and back seating, etc] but the LOOK, the visual styling itself, has changed over the decades.. but not the design. and like vigostar mentioned, it probably wont change design for a long long time. until that happens its just more restyling. but again.. how many times can you restyle the same thing until you have to start over again?? - JAG

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Have you all even seen the Daytona Charger or the new Challenger coming out? It's the return of the muscle car. BTW, the computer systems in the new hemi v-8's get almost get comporable gas mileage to a 4 cylinder. The computer systems actually turn off cylinders when they're not needed to help fuel keep down fuel use.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JAG.
    i think the core issue is "how many ways can you 're-style' the same thing?"
    I think I mistook people's talk of design to mean styling instead of a more fundemental questioning of "what a car is/could be." Regarding styling, there is a famous Raymond Lowey drawing showing the evolution of automobile design up to his time and projecting it into the years into the future. Styling possiblies are numerous and I doubt we haven't even touched the tip of the iceberg. Styling is a relatively easy change; cars get facelifts on a 3-5 year schedule. However trying to change the idea of the automobile seems to be a much more daunting task.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That Camaro's bicep is way off...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's amazing to see some of the spirit of experimental designs dating back from 7 years ago actually make it (somewhat diluted) in mass production. This, to me, is more interesting then the actual design. But I like the return of angular, angry looking car

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.