Sketchbook: Neil Blevins' Speed Paintings - Page 5
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Neil Blevins' Speed Paintings

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are tests for spaceships and such. Just trying to work out form and proportions, they will definately influence my future work, but the images themselves I think make for nice abstract tech images.

Click below for my latest matte painting, which uses some of the patterns you see above.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=191831

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a quick abstract doodle...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to soulburn3d For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just finished 5 weeks of paternity leave, it's hard to believe our little girl is already five weeks old! I decided that my one slice of normalcy while on leave was going to be taking an hour every day or two to speedpaint some landscape studies based off photos either I've taken or various photos I've found on the web. Here's the results...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to soulburn3d For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's that time of year again, sunsets over the mountains on the drive home. Took about an hour to paint each.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to soulburn3d For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,803 Times in 941 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hey man, i remember your works from back in the days i have joined CA, excellent works, great control and beautiful light. Thanks for doping by in my sb, appreciate your comment.

Best,

M

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i cant make it out if ur last painting is a picture or a painting!! its weird!! one hour to do this.. geez.... ur brilient

by the way u mentioned that u came from a traditional background... is that mean u painted in oil ? can u post some of those ? i would love to see if u can get this high quality in oil..

i love to do everything and learn everything... i hate to be cornered in one place.. i believe u can be anything u want... Your mind is limitless... check out my sketchbook ... u will find a bit of everything

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=203429

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MatejaPetkovic View Post
    hey man, i remember your works from back in the days i have joined CA, excellent works, great control and beautiful light. Thanks for doping by in my sb, appreciate your comment.
    Thanks for the kind words, your work is great, will keep current on your sb to see what new stuff you come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Walker View Post
    i cant make it out if ur last painting is a picture or a painting!! its weird!! one hour to do this.. geez.... ur brilient
    Thanks Rain. I've done a lot of sunset images, so to some extent they've become a little formulaic in terms of technique, which is how I can do them in an hour. But I just love the countless colors schemes that the sun chooses to use every night when it goes to bed, so I expect I'll be doing these sorts of images for a long time to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Walker View Post
    i would love to see if u can get this high quality in oil..
    While I started by painting in inks and acrylics, I have never been as happy with my traditional work as with my digital work. Plus, almost all my acrylic paintings were done in highschool and college 15 years ago. I did do one acrylic painting last year for an art auction to benefit a friend who had terminal cancer (sadly, he is no longer with us), check it out below...

I suspect if I spent as many man hours doing acrylic paintings as I have spent doing 3d and 2d digital art, I might be better at it. Maybe one day I'll have more time to devote to getting better at the craft.

- Neil

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im sorry to hear about ur friend .. may he rest in peace
    but this is very nice.. specially the effect of moon on the hills.. i usualy find acrylics to be harder then oil due to the fast drying effect... but this is very nice.. dnt give up on the traditional ways though.. it may take longer but ppl admire it more then digital.. i guess.. well at least in my country .. coz digital isnt that populer so far...

i love to do everything and learn everything... i hate to be cornered in one place.. i believe u can be anything u want... Your mind is limitless... check out my sketchbook ... u will find a bit of everything

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=203429

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Glad you like it. I'll never totally get rid of the traditional method (I still draw a lot), it's good to have challenges and variety in your work. As for traditional being more well admired, well, I don't do this for admiration, I do this because I love producing images, so it doesn't bother me, whatever method gives me the images I want the quickest is what I'll do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, almost a year since my last post! After a long absence due to the birth of my daughter (she is doing awesome, BTW), I'm back, and ready to start posting again. Obviously my life is quite a bit different now, and I've had to re-balance my personal work, professional work, and family life. But my personal artwork and other areas of interest are a major part of who I am, and so it's time to get back into them, at least at a reduced pace.

So I'm hoping to post at least 1 new speed painting a week in this thread. I'm also going to be more regularly updating my blog here:

http://neilblevins.blogspot.com/

This week, two quick sketch tributes to artist Ashley Wood...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to soulburn3d For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fire Elemental, originally he was supposed to be Stone, but had too much fun adding the blazing fire.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your sense of color is absolutely exquisite!
    Looks very natural but still has a little twist.
    The only thing missing is variety. Yes, mountains and sunsets are fun to paint
    but don't stay in your comfort zone.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Xelar View Post
    Your sense of color is absolutely exquisite!
    Looks very natural but still has a little twist.
    Thanks for the compliments Xelar!

Quote Originally Posted by Xelar View Post
    The only thing missing is variety. Yes, mountains and sunsets are fun to paint but don't stay in your comfort zone.
    Sound advice. It's just tough to get up the desire sometimes, I spend all day long making artwork for other people, so when I come home I generally want to just make artwork for myself But I'll see about throwing some other stuff in there once in awhile to keep things interesting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Congratulation, and Welcome Back! I was subscribed to you. I'm pleased to see you back!

*** Sketchbook and other stuff ***

Flashback's SB

Anatomy Atlas

Digital Galleries

Visit & Support:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome stuff soulburn! i recognized the face from sijun 8) love that abstract up the page- thats digi? i thought it was like spraypaint on some type of board at first!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Flashback, glad to be back.

Quote Originally Posted by insane lemur View Post
    awesome stuff soulburn! i recognized the face from sijun 8) love that abstract up the page- thats digi? i thought it was like spraypaint on some type of board at first!
    Thanks lemur. Yup, that's digital, just a series of custom brushes and lots and lots of layering. I enjoy doing color abstracts, may do a few more in the near future. Glad you like it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Inspired by the sunsets of Rango.

Painted rough of a recent pencil sketch.

Did this rough in like 15 minutes.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to soulburn3d For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

One of a number of starship hull test images. I made these images to explore variations in greebling and hull plate shapes and configurations. The tests are a little less practical and a little more abstract, but they have been really helpful, and should be a great source of inspiration and practical experience the next time I decide to make a full fledged 3d model of a starship, space station or even a mechanized planet. Parts were modeled in 3dsmax, rendered with brazil, some was painted in photoshop, and many patterns were inspired and produced by Darktree, Bercon Noise and Filterforge procedural patterns. This is my first new Tech Floor after a 2 year break.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to soulburn3d For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    With very limited painting time this week, I started this one image, and after 2 hours, I was like 1% done. It turned out to be way more complex than I had originally hoped, and here I had wanted to do something quick. Frustrated and tired, I quickly whipped this gas city rough out to relax. I promise I'll get back to the other image some week when I have some decent time to devote to it.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to soulburn3d For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,517 Times in 2,457 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    damn awesome work!! this one made my pupils reflexively contract from the bright light

and i really like this one too

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys. And Velocity, I hope your pupils return back to normal soon so you can continue painting.

One semi-frustrating thing about painting digitally is you can't actually display a color brighter than pure white unless you have a fancy HDR display. There are such beautiful sunsets that I've seen that I know I will never be able to reproduce because they use colors and intensities that you cannot replicate on a standard monitor. So you resort to trickery such as high contrast and colored blooms to give the impression of super bright light.

Maybe that's for the best anyways, don't want to accidentally blind the audience with sun like brightness

30. The Following User Says Thank You to soulburn3d For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I am a big fan of the Halo games, so did this piece of fan art for fun. The grunt characters are some of my favorites, not only do they have tons of personality, but overall I love the design. Since I own several of the McFarlane Halo Grunt toys, I did a little photoshoot, and used the photos as the basis for the character's pose. Painted in about 3-4 hours, the last couple of hours were mostly subtle color corrections, usually I start off with a pretty strong color scheme in mind, this one ended up coming together at the end of the piece.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah the different between natural light, light emitted from a screen and light relfected from a surface are so complex and different, but i think what you call 'tricks' are really clever artful recreations of real life.
    its always super impressive when a painting captures those effects so effectively that it cons my nervous system into contracting my pupils!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Kendall View Post
    Yeah the different between natural light, light emitted from a screen and light relfected from a surface are so complex and different, but i think what you call 'tricks' are really clever artful recreations of real life.
    Hehe Ya, I guess the term "Tricks" may have a negative connotation to it, but it's used pretty frequently in the film world (where I'm from), all films are about illusion, what they eye don't see the artist gets away with. So in some ways it's like a magic trick. But I'm down with using the term "Recreations" as well

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a more finished piece based on an earlier low res speed painting (I think it's in this thread somewhere).

35. The Following User Says Thank You to soulburn3d For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work man, especially like your landscapes, simply because the lighting is so strong in them. Love those futuristic city like images.

Please, excuse me for the possible errors in my English.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you have some really neat concepts, but they appear to be "flat". I would suggest trying to define your forms in a way that feels a little more three dimensional, but good stuff, keep it coming!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you do movies? man id love to do that one day. games are cool and all but movies are the real draw for me anyway.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeliebob View Post
    Great work man, especially like your landscapes, simply because the lighting is so strong in them. Love those futuristic city like images.
    Thanks, glad you dig the landscapes!

Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Kendall View Post
    you do movies? man id love to do that one day. games are cool and all but movies are the real draw for me anyway.
    Well, games and films have their own sets of challenges, while I've gone mostly the film route, I'd love to do some games stuff at some point in my career.

Quote Originally Posted by LePush View Post
    you have some really neat concepts, but they appear to be "flat". I would suggest trying to define your forms in a way that feels a little more three dimensional, but good stuff, keep it coming!
    Thanks for the critique. My day job is making full 3d environments for film, so when I have free time to do personal paintings, I do tend to do stuff that's a little more 2d. But you're right, I should get a little more variety in there, if for no other reason than to practice making dimensional environments using pure paint without help from 3d software.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 13