Art School Artists vs Self Taught Artists.

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 46 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cool Art School Artists vs Self Taught Artists.

Alright! I've got some time on my hands and in this thread here: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=82287 We thought it was a good idea to get Self taught artists (like me) to go against those other people who went through Art School to fight it out in a T-Dome. To prove once and for all which way truly yields the best brand of artists. I thought it was a T-Dome that could get a wide variety of types on CA to participate because I take it we all learnt how to paint and draw somehow.

So what type of artist are you?..

This Tournament has officially started!!!!!
    Start date:: December 8th
    Deadline: January 3rd.

Topic: A real person from history from medieval civilisation i.e 300 A.D. to 1300 A.D. The person can be any type of character as long as he/she existed, and you can tell us some facts about him/her. Am looking for a full length portrayal of this famous or infamous person with something hinting to what he/she did/was. Refer to Velazquez's depictions of Aesop and Mennipus to see exactly what sort of image we're after. ONE image is all we're after, this competition is about which side of the divide has yielded the best, therefore we're only looking for your best work within these rules. COLOUR IMAGES ONLY!! too hard? hahaha. Also, your chosen figure is allowed to have extra's such as hat's, swords, a horse, as long as your extras were directly linked to your person's life, i.e if your figure was a mule tamer then since it explains who he was, he/she should be allowed to be painted with a mule. Don't get too extravagant though, or you risk disqualification. IF YOU SUMBIT A DRAWING, YOU WILL BE DISQUALIFIED.

Matches:

1. Sve vs Ostrander
    2. Sinix vs Wil.Whalen
    3. Justin Oaksford vs Look
    4. Lohan vs Noe
    5. Icey vs Fedezz
    6. VirusArtist vs Art addict
    7. Timothy vs Joelhinxman
    8. Oblio vs Llothcat
    9. TRUZART vs Floris Didden
    10. Orifice vs Beelow
    11.Nerdlinger vs Jfwalls
    12. JenZee vs Ilaekae
    13. Chaosrocks vs Magicgoo
    14. Entdroid vs Xenos
    15. Sundance vs Vigostar
    16. Flake vs Dtemp
    17. NicoRaven vs Rodriguez
    18. MEhz vs Felecia
    19. Blue vs Vorbis
    20. MAsque vs octothreat
    21. Mr-Joe vs Voodoochile
    22. Buckweisel vs Amer-nazri
    23. WhiteRose vs Blahm
    24. Flip vs Ikuru
    25. Embee vs Voraz
    26. Brat777 vs ShyamShriram
    27. Bjorn vs MrGrumble
    28. JLAlfaro vs Mr Visions
    29. Yverloc vs Jska
    30. Nutter vs pan
    31. Silvi~e vs 2100
    32. Strych9ine vs Jens
    33. Alxcote vs ShaoShao
    34. Zarett vs Zanconato
    35. Fixx vs Steve255!

ANY PUSSING OUT FROM NOW ON WILL RESULT IN A DISQUALIFICATION>

Judges:: Davi, Fellah, Mike Dutton, MikeCorriero, and Rebeccak

Medium: open to everything as long as it is in colour

Team Self taught:(the go team) 35/35 FULL
    1. Nerdlinger
    2. Magicgoo
    3. JenZee
    4. Sinix
    5. Justin Oaksford
    6. Noe
    7. Icey
    8. VirusArtist
    9. T i m o t h y
    10. Oblio
    11. TRUZART
    12. Orifice
    13. Sve
    14. Xenos
    15. Dtemp
    16. NicoRaven
    17. Mehz
    18. Blue
    19. Steve255
    20. Masque
    21. Mr-Joe
    22. Vigostar
    23. Buckweisel
    24. White Rose
    25. Flip
    26. Embee
    27. ShyamShriram
    28. Bjorn
    29. JLAlfaro
    30. Jska
    31. Nutter
    32. Silvi~e
    33. Strych9ine
    34. Zanconato
    35. Alxcote

Team Art School [I]35/35 FULLI]

1. Zarett
    2. Jens
    3. ShaoShao
    4. 2100
    5. Pan
    6. Ilaekae
    7. Yverloc
    8. Amer-nazri
    9. Mr Visions
    10. Mrgrumble
    11. Brat 777
    12. Voraz
    13. Ikuru
    14. Blahm
    15. Voodoochile
    16. Octothreat
    17. Fixx
    18. Vorbis
    19. Felecia
    20. Rodriguez
    21. Flake
    22. Sundance
    23. Entdroid
    24. Beelow
    25. Art addict
    26. Floris Didden
    27. Llothcat
    28. Joelhinxman
    29. Chuck,mate
    30. Fedezz
    31. Lohan
    32. Look
    33. Ostrander
    34. ChaosRocks
    35. Wil. whalen
    35a. Jfwalls

Reserves:

1.On January 2nd I will open a new thread in the Challenge Arena and everyone will post their final, finished work in that thread. Ilaeake will then format these works to his hosting site and the judges will judge the 1 on 1 matches in this way.

2. Make sure when you submit your entry to the new thread you write a sentence saying who he/she was and what time span he/she lived in. Example:

Name (year of birth - year of death)
    What they're known for.
    A brief description of the person

Richard the Lionheart (1157 - 1199)
    King of England, led the Third Crusade
    Anti-semite, not too fond of that guy Saladin.

There will be a pool of one on one matches, pairing up Art School artists against Self Taught artists. The team who has the most victories across the board WINS!! Each individual effort counts to the tally of points for each team. So lets get some teams going
    then!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Judging Criteria

1. Noone gets re-paired up all the matchups stay the same.

2. If you didn't post a full length picture. You won't be disqualified it'll just be a couple of points off your marks.

3. If a person has posted an entry of a person whose life span goes outside of the 300-1300 timespan that's alright as long as they were born in the span.

4. A classic painting should be prefered over a cartoon image, since the rules said to refer to Velasquez's aesop or Mennipus which are classic. Although this isn't a major issue.

Last edited by Leari_79790; January 12th, 2007 at 10:22 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So far I'm in Nerdo. Another self-taught little kid. I'll try and think of a topic suggestion.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've had three years of conventional schooling my entire life - kindergarten, third grade, and my freshman year of college. Am I on the self-taught team, or should there be a third one for art school dropouts?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

i'm not sure where'd I fit in

The school I went to I would not consider an art school, but I was in their Studio Art program and I did recieve my BA from them back in 1999. And I've been correcting everything they taught me since then. I've had no real art instruction, ever, but I was taught theory until my eyes glazed over. The teachers had no respect for commercial grade skills, not having the skills themselves, and thus encouraged real crappy art to be produced. The senior thesis show was a joke, because you had to have a real good paper written and stapled to the wall next to your real crappy art project to explain it in Art-eese.

so..where do I fit in?

I'm drawing a blankin my sketchbook, that is

Ye-ha! I actually completed my site.Check it out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You were still taught skills though? And you have got the BA so I suppose...Taught? That's my guess.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not really taught the skills, just the theory behind them. In workshops we would be allowed to practice what we already knew. The teachers critiqued the theory for a piece, not the technical skills to produce it. Not a single one of them ever corrected my perspective problems, and one had us cut up coloring books to make collages, rather than have us actually draw anything.

I'm drawing a blankin my sketchbook, that is

Ye-ha! I actually completed my site.Check it out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you've stepped foot into a Art university unfortunately for you, you are against my team, the go team, annnnd which means you're on team school. Zarett and Llothcat you're on team school. How about I mix things up and say that each singular challenge has a topic decided by the two participants and they work round that once they've told the judges. Because, I mean a win is a win and I'm just flipping out and mixing things up here. So once you know who you're facing you can choose you're own subject or go for the main one that I'll set soon. Once I use my creative gpowers to think of one...

Last edited by Leari_79790; November 29th, 2006 at 06:55 PM.
    Larger than life

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Count me in Nerdlinger . Representing for the Self Taught team! My finals are on the week of the 15th though X_X.

Honestly though - the results wouldn't really be telling of anything conclusive, we would need at least 35 participants per team, according to standard statistician practice . Gotta make a bell curve :9.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Count me in for the self-taught. I hope you get a lot of people.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow thats a big self taught team. sounds fun to me. put me on the skould team. cause i am or was.

never updated sketchbook

hopefully weekly updated blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hah! Well, even if I'm on the art school team, I'll be cheering for you autodidacts... as I hand your ass to you on a platter.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would be down for this, but sadly for us school cats at VCU, it's exams during that time (I know, whine whine). If the deadline could be pushed back I'd be down. Also, do we have a topic yet?

- Visions

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ammm.....
    if i`m drawing and painting since age 12, practically learning all that i know by trial and error, and at age 23 went to art school, didn`t finish it, and was bored and frustrated out of my skull since they didn`t teach me ANYTHING whatsoever (or they would ask me to "connect" myself emotionally to a given time-space occurrence while contemplating on kinetic-art and its meaning in modern living....) -

where do i fit in?

We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.
    -Bill Hicks

Sketchbook Old SketchBook Portfolio GorillaArtFare

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck,mate.
    ammm.....
    if i`m drawing and painting since age 12, practically learning all that i know by trial and error, and at age 23 went to art school, didn`t finish it, and was bored and frustrated out of my skull since they didn`t teach me ANYTHING whatsoever (or they would ask me to "connect" myself emotionally to a given time-space occurrence while contemplating on kinetic-art and its meaning in modern living....) -

where do i fit in?
    How long did you spend in contaminated areas? And which classes were they? I think if it's like...one class, and it's something very basic like "drawing101," you basically qualify for self-taught. Gradeschool art courses where we all smeared oil pastels on paper and got real messy probably don't count either? I hope. Of course, this is all up to Nerdling I think....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I"m in, self taught

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gradeschool basic drawing101?

no, this was an academic legit ART school. the best in the country.
    (i`d say its name, but i`m kinda trashing it right now...)

the whole 2 years i spent there we were crafting idiotic shite with
    Papier-m‚chť and taking photos of ourselves dressed as hobos in the center of town. and then - we discussed our (and our fellow students...)`s works for like 3 days, talking about feelings, and symbolism, and had boring boring boring analysis sessions. after talking our asses off - we then talked about it some more.
    And I didn`t even go to modern art like courses.
    My major was actually illustration, which I didn`t get to study or do, since this only take place in the 3rd yearÖ.
    i didn`t hold a pencil in my hand for these 2 years. swear to god.
    i actually didn`t draw for 2 years.

We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.
    -Bill Hicks

Sketchbook Old SketchBook Portfolio GorillaArtFare

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just graduated in graphic design/illustration BFA, but academics things are quite different in this country, specially in my city. I mean, we had to design wrapping paper and illustrate advertisings without even going through the basics of the different medias. Not to mention the lack of development in the communicational side of the activity (illustration, dohhh). You couldn't possibly imagine the crapness of it.
    It wasn't until I discovered CA and decided to give illustration a shot that I started the actual learning, so count me in for the self taught biatches!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what if you've only done 1 semester of college then quit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hehehe, this is very confusing.

People who still are not old enough to go to college are considered "self taught"...Until they go to college, graduate and find out that they have to learn a lot more before being able to get a job, then they change to be "self taught" again.

I would be in for self taught....But I recommend you to start this TD after the workshop to get more contestants

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think there needs to be a third team of the school refusés

cchaos

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Thanks
    Thanked 5,582 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Point: we have a male calendar finishing up immediately befor your deadline.

Point: we have Insomania starting on the day of your deadline, which means many will be traveling before the deadline.

Point: Clarify your rules so there no confusion. We seem to have a high number of people who refuse to admit they had some "real" art training of any kind.

If you NEVER set foot in an art school, mentored art studio, college evening art class, live model sketching site with a "teacher," then you NEVER had formal training.

If you did any of the above, or attended college, you HAD at least some formal training, no matter how bad you thought it was.

Point: From what I've seen so far, we have people who are claiming no formal art training of any kind because their teacher was a goldfish, they were drunk the entire time they were in class, they were kidnapped by alien art instructors and influenced against their will with anal probes, and any number of other excuses. How about those of us who went to art school, taught in an art school, but are suffering the onset of senility/dementia/acid flashbacks causing us to forget anything we did before last night. Get real, people. If you went in, you got cooties. Stand up like a grown-up and admit it.

Point: Will the topics/judging be fair? If the "self-taught" determine the approach, we may have a pure "illustration" approach, which could unfairly negate the specialized knowledge the "schooled" have acquired. The opposite would be just as bad.

Final Point: I'm in. On the "School" side. Wanna whoop me some fried ego on toast...

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae
    Point: we have a male calendar finishing up immediately befor your deadline.

Point: we have Insomania starting on the day of your deadline, which means many will be traveling before the deadline.

Point: Clarify your rules so there no confusion. We seem to have a high number of people who refuse to admit they had some "real" art training of any kind.

If you NEVER set foot in an art school, mentored art studio, college evening art class, live model sketching site with a "teacher," then you NEVER had formal training.

If you did any of the above, or attended college, you HAD at least some formal training, no matter how bad you thought it was.

Point: From what I've seen so far, we have people who are claiming no formal art training of any kind because their teacher was a goldfish, they were drunk the entire time they were in class, they were kidnapped by alien art instructors and influenced against their will with anal probes, and any number of other excuses. How about those of us who went to art school, taught in an art school, but are suffering the onset of senility/dementia/acid flashbacks causing us to forget anything we did before last night. Get real, people. If you went in, you got cooties. Stand up like a grown-up and admit it.

Point: Will the topics/judging be fair? If the "self-taught" determine the approach, we may have a pure "illustration" approach, which could unfairly negate the specialized knowledge the "schooled" have acquired. The opposite would be just as bad.

Final Point: I'm in. On the "School" side. Wanna whoop me some fried ego on toast...
    also!

point Those of us (or at least me and visions?) in school on a quarterly schedule have finals on the week of the 15th I think.

I agree with Ilaeke. We'd get more participants if we waited, and also what *is* with all the art schoolers who are in denial? XD Are you guys that eager to get on the winning team!? Hahah jk jk I kid! Sort of.

Anyway, yes let us (or someone) clarify the rules! Fedezz, I really think you 100% qualify as art schooled :9.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Then simple we could probably get ol' Nerdlinger to change the dates around and stuff, so it fits in after the workshop and stuff like that. This could be a BIG 'UN!

Hah Art schoolers in denial so true Jenzzzzzzz.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JenZee
    what *is* with all the art schoolers who are in denial?
    I'm just so used to being the odd one out in any group, being the person who didn't finish school, that I just automatically say I'm self-taught - which I am, in relation to most of the people I hang with online/IRL. It's kind of a point of pride that I've gotten to where I am with just one year of art school, and...

oh god if you take that away...

WHAT WILL BE LEFT TO ME??

For the purposes of this Tdome, I'm resigned to playing for team school, since I have in fact set foot upon the hallowed grounds of art school (and paid my 30k). But I want a dropout versus grad tdome at some point...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay I'm self taught at the moment ^^ But I'm planning on going to art school to study Game Design and Development in 2008/2009. But for now I'm self taught

so ehh I'm in that team.
    But if the other team needs more people, count me in for that one. I don't care. I'm just in for a TD.

Love
    Marleen

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fair dink! I have to be strict when it comes to credentials as to what breed of artist you are or else the ratios won't balance out, i.e we might have 45 schoolers and 12 selfies, so therefore thankyou JenZee we'll have if we can manage this many people, a 35 manned squad of artists per team. And Ilaekae, good idea we'll wait a while so as to assemble the troops so the deadline, well there is no deadline at the moment until someone tells me what suits.. Judging will be fair, I expect we'll be able to get some mods in on the fight, fair mods.

Annnnd, you muppet Art Schooler woman's blouse's are done. Just done. Give up now. Save the shame, maaaaan.

Larger than life

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey... where do i sign... i'm for "selfies"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've take one beginning drawing class (which was a basic requirement for all majors) and one figure drawing class in college, can i still sign up as a self-taught?

Last edited by look; November 29th, 2006 at 07:21 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,582 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I got married twice...but I was stoned both times, so does that make me single? Gawd! Somebody puh-leeeeze say "YES!"

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, alright, one more point, unless y'all d'nt wanna have your opponents randomly chosen you are allowed to issue personal challenges, so if someone has been pissing you off since way back when, then call them out!

That being said, I'd like to call out the very best artist on the Art School team and lay the gauntlet by their feet. Once the 35 members have been chosen to represent, I'd like team Art School to hand pick their best to go toe to toe with mwah!!

So who else is going to set down a personal challenge?

Larger than life

Page 1 of 46 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3