Help in Regards to Concept Art

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Help in Regards to Concept Art

Hello all, I am new here, but have been visiting the site for about 3 months, and I must say, there is a great deal of talent here.

Now, I am a college student, and I have decided to take my artistic abilities more seriously. Having been artistic my entire life, I never thought it would then become what I want to do for a career. Anyway, having said that, I would like to pose a question.

How are you artists able to get such vivid detail from your works? I mean through the coloration and shadows etc...Is there a special program or tool used? I know that photoshop/psp are probably used, but do you use a tablet as well?

Also, I will start my animation and 3dimensional modeling classes next semester, and was wondering if any of you in the field might be able to lend a hand. Would it be wise to get a tablet for 3D modeling?

Well, there you have it. A few novice questions, but you must start somewhere correct? I look forward to becoming an active member in the forums and engaging you talented folks in some intellectual conversations. Thank you for your help.

-All the best

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Enclave.

There is no such thing as a computer program that makes creative decisions. All programs are just tools. Those details that you love are a product of well-trained hands and minds, and lots of hard work. Practice enough, and you'll be able to do the same.

A tablet will not be useful to you in 3D modeling. However, I highly recomend that you also learn how to texture your models, as the combination of the two skills is more likely to get you a job. For texturing, yes, you will need a tablet, as well as a 2D program such as Photoshop.

If you are considering the games industry as a possible career, then there's a link in my sig for you.

Cheers!

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    definitly, if you can afford it, get a tablet... for 2D of course, but also for some high polygon modelling, with the new softs like Zbrush, and mudbox, (the new silo ?) ... a tablet is really needed
    not sure to understand your problem about details, for a drawing, I would say draw bigger (the bigger your sheet of paper, or your pixel resolution if you paint in Photoshop or else , the more details you'll be able to put in... also if you paint digitally, I would recommend the biggest screen you can afford... I don't know a lot of matte painter painting on a 15"
    if your problem is more a creative problem - what detail to add- you just need more practive, more observation...
    good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Filter-Artistic-Make Good

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I wish ye good luck. But you know people lose interest in stuff. How long will you be posting here or even working towards professional artistry. It will probably be hard for you since it hasn't happened automatically. Luck the patience will not help the talent of your inactivity.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.