Page 1 of 43 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Thanks

☂paperX's SB☂ Updated: 15/MAY [Life drawing and doodles SKETCHDUMP]

Gonna be stereotypical here and say....skip to the last page for my slightly less crappier art
    __________________________________________________ ________
    Hi everyone,

I've been a lurker for sometime now, just never got around to do some serious posting due to my procrastinating nature . Any how, my final exams are over now so I'm gonna try and be an active member of CA from now on .

My goal is to get into the ConceptArt Atelier, however, to do so my current level of skill obviously needs much more work...so that is why I am here...I hope through hardwork I will be able to get into the Atelier

Here's some recent anatomy studies off the book Bridgman's Life Drawing (by obviously the awesome George B. Bridgman)

Here's a quick doodle I did 2 days ago:

Here's my final exam piece for my AS Design course, it's a poster for a film noir movie. I deleted the final copy by accident, but this is pretty much 95% close to the real thing:

And last but not least...here's a speedpaint of an apple I did yesterday for Bumskee's awsome photoshop thread, around half an hour I think:

I believe I still have much work to do in the areas of composition, line quality, colour theory, anatomy, perspective and pretty much everything else, so any comment or critique would be greatly appreciated.

I hope I can improve through hardwork with everyone here at CA and hopefully get into the Atelier in the future

PS: I have a question regarding the Concept Art Atelier...I know that it is a 2 year course and it has already started...I aim to get into the course at 2008...however I'm not sure if thats possible since it IS a 2 year course...does this mean i can't apply until the current batch of students are finished? thanks in advance if anyone knows.
    Last edited by paperX; May 15th, 2010 at 06:55 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Shit, son, those are some kickass gestures.
    Why hasn't anyone else commetned here?

The noir poster looks really good; kinda "blotchy" looking, though, in terms of the colouring/gradients.

& that apple, well... it's pretty awsome, too

Oh, and, I wish I had info in reguards to CA Ateleir... you might want to PM one of the admins if you really want an answer.

Keep posting!
    -N
    Post more?
    As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle being swept along is no longer enough.

Thanks
    You'v got some awesome stuff going here, as a fellow Bridgeman follower I salute those gestures. They are well done, keep at it! The movie poster is cool too, very Sin City esque in the art style, almost too much so. As for the apple, thats amazing for 30 minutes, I WISH I could pump out digital works that fast! Keep it up and keep striving for the Atelier!

Thanks

wow...thanks!

bunny: Thank you so much for ur nice comments....ur sketchbooks is totally kick ass ....lol at first i thought u were a 30+yr old guy.......first time I've been called "son" by a girl the same age as me .....no offence

Axioma: Bridgmans rocks indeed *high-fives* .....as for the sin city similarity...frank miller was one of my 'artist models' for the exams...that coupled with the fact that i watched Sin City the film for the first time while i was preparing for the exams.....let's just say....loved the film to death
    As for the apple.....i had an apple sitting next to me as reference while i painted so it really isn't that great of an achievement

anyways.......bunny u asked for it.....so here's some more stuff i did today:

did some heads.....realised how crap they are...so started to do some head studies from hogarth

and so the head studies continue....looking at loomis more here

some more loomis heads plus a half-contour drawing of my hand (made the fingers too long... )

got bored so mess around in photoshop......turned out possibly the ugliest girl i've ever drawn......but thats alright...i had fun incoporating the playing card symbols on to her....i shall call her......PokerGirl (more like crazy clown girl... )
    PS:damn....the diamond got kinda lost during size shrinking...cookies for anyone who spots it

to make up for the ugly-ness here's a quick doodle of a hopefully cute shark (dont ask me how that works...)

Thanks
    Gonna subscribe to this thing. I'll most more critiques latez.

-N
    As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle being swept along is no longer enough.

Thanks
    bunny: thanks for paying attention to my crappy art

Went out for the day so didn't manage to get much art done...here's another quicky done for bumskee's photoshop thread, done in around 50 minutes...the bumps and indentations were kinda troublesome...spent more than half the time on them... they still turned out pretty bad in the end

and also a portrait of my dad...he got sleepy after i finished the head cuz its late. so i had to rush the bottom section.....(have to do more practice minimising lines to portray form)

and thats it for today......more comments and critiques are most welcome

PS: just realised i gave the index and middle fingers on my sketch of my hand yesterday extra joints lol......no wonder they look too long......must've missed that while sketching....my bad
    Last edited by paperX; November 30th, 2006 at 09:16 AM.

Thanks
    Very solid work! I like your studies and this last image is very nice http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/7...itsmallcm9.jpg
    Keep sharing
    ciao

Thanks
    thanks for the comment Dreamworker!

Bit un-productive today....here's two concepts that i did....one's for the 3CH thread (topic: A wounded fakir tears off a shaman on an enormous rock)
    ...and the other is for Character of the Week (steam punk airship pilot)

I think ill work on the steam punk piece more tomorrow....the deadline IS sunday after all

Thanks
    nice book mate love the first post.. and the poker pic is a nice one too .. oh oh also the pic of ur dad was nicely done keep em comin ... more more more

Thanks
    Haha, that little shark is so cute!...Maybe theres just a little bit too much greys in it...try to keep the colors pure. The orange is unbelievable dude!

FGreat workz!
    _.`-> Choose Life <-`._
    Check me out

Thanks
    Razorb: thank you! ill keep on trying

Kir Nuyts: thank you for the crit...the shark was just a quick doodle.....but ill keep that in mind next time

not much done today.......just worked on my CHOW entry somemore...i have to say im getting REALLY fustrated with my current rendering and painting style...after im finished with this piece i am definatly going to spend sometime developing a new rendering technique...maybe pure brushstrokes without the thick as outlines i have now if anyone...(and i know there are pros everywhere here on CA) can help me out or point me in the right direction it would be MUCH appreciated

Thanks
    Thanked 1,451 Times in 259 Posts
    Wow, so much hard work! Keep it up!

With those fruit studies, try using a non-white background. Let the hilights of the fruit be the brightest part of the image.

You might perhaps be interested in my Concept Art 101 thread. . . (the link is in my sig). . .
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Seedling: thank you for the kind words and critique...i feel like as if i've been losing momentum in the past 2 days...so ill definately go and try out some of your assignments, they look very inspirational

Here's all i managed to crank out today ...was gonna do a speed paint of a banana but my stomach insisted on eating it first .. ill try working harder tomorrow for sure

my first real life self-portrait....my dad says it doesn't look like me....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,451 Times in 259 Posts
    All right! That's a great portrait, PaperX! Keep up the good work. :-)

Thanks
    Seedling: wow thanks for keeping an eye on this crappy sketchbook of mine

and..........i have to say.....sorry guys missed out a day of updating yesterday...simply due to procrastination *hangs head in shame*

i was going to do a huge update to make up for it, but i ended up going out with my family and working on my CHOW entry so that didn't work out either.....

anyways...here's what i've done today:

some quick figures from ref

some more good o' bridgman studies

and my Character of the Week entry.....i have to say.....it turned out SHIT...like i said a couple of days ago i got really fed up with my rendering/painting technique so i tried to use painter and go palette knife style on it...but as i only have a wacom graphire3 which does not detect angles, i had to keep on rotating the canvas. WHICH, did not work out as well i hoped and i ended up rushing really badly at the end so that was not very good either (should have worked on it earlier as always)

apparantly it was supposed to be CHOW number 51...but i could have sworn it was 50 just shows how much i was rushing (uploaded my final 1 minute b4 midnight ) so yeah....if u like this shitty piece...feel free to give me a vote

......actually scrap that give andrewley and trevor and all those other guys a vote this week...i swear..........the quality of work from CHOW this week is astounding, i HIGHLY suggest whoever reads this to go and check it out ...very inspirational stuff

Page 1 of 43 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast